PDA

View Full Version : Greenberg/Ryan already making the Rangers more fan friendly

Keith7
08-13-2010, 03:53 PM
At a press conference today new Rangers' owner Chuck Greenberg announced the following changes with more to come later:

Parking will be reduced to $10.00 from $12.00 - $5.00 parking on Fireworks Friday's will stay the same

* Hot Dog, Soft Drink and Beer prices will also be reduced slightly for the rest of this season

* The price of T-Shirts and Caps are also going down $1.00 to $ 3.00

* Fans who bring in another team's cap to the gift shop and exchange it for a Ranger cap will receive a 20% discount the Rangers cap they purchase.

* Fans who think they should "sacrifice bunt" with a runner on third, no outs, in a one run ballgame with your three best batters coming up will not be allowed in the ballpark and the games will now be mysteriously blacked out until further notice.

Ok I made the last one up..

BaseballUmp
08-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Haha :clap:

Cameron Crazy
08-13-2010, 05:00 PM
This is great, I can't wait to see what else the Ryan/ Greenburg group has in store.

Old Tiger
08-13-2010, 05:12 PM
better spend money on players to keep what they've built or IMO they will fail if they don't

crzyjournalist03
08-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
better spend money on players to keep what they've built or IMO they will fail if they don't

Greenberg's first quote the night of the auction:

"We spent a lot of money, but we're still going after Cliff Lee."

Make no bones about it...both he and Ryan have said they expect our payroll to be in line with the Angels (90-100 million) within two years.

Keith7
08-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Here's an interesting little blog post from today post press conference about the Rangers' future payroll and how they will try to go after Lee in the offseason.

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/08/new-rangers-management-willing.html

Old Tiger
08-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Greenberg's first quote the night of the auction:

"We spent a lot of money, but we're still going after Cliff Lee."

Make no bones about it...both he and Ryan have said they expect our payroll to be in line with the Angels (90-100 million) within two years. key word is spent

I said keep spending

eagles_victory
08-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
key word is spent

I said keep spending Its not what you spend its how you spend it.

GreenMonster
08-14-2010, 12:29 AM
[i]
* Fans who think they should "sacrifice bunt" with a runner on third, no outs, in a one run ballgame with your three best batters coming up will not be allowed in the ballpark and the games will now be mysteriously blacked out until further notice.
[/B]

That wouldn't be a sacrifice bunt, but a squeeze. With the best 3 hitters up next and no outs the runner on third would have to be be Elvis therefore the next hitter would be Young which would actually make the squeeze play a very viable option in a 1 run game. Fastest baserunner + best bat handler = success in my book. So, Astro Fan, you would be removed from the property and your press credentials revoked. Oh, and by the way, most of the Astro games already have been blacked out due to lack of interest.

BaseballUmp
08-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
That wouldn't be a sacrifice bunt, but a squeeze. With the best 3 hitters up next and no outs the runner on third would have to be be Elvis therefore the next hitter would be Young which would actually make the squeeze play a very viable option in a 1 run game. Fastest baserunner + best bat handler = success in my book. So, Astro Fan, you would be removed from the property and your press credentials revoked. Oh, and by the way, most of the Astro games already have been blacked out due to lack of interest.
^^^must not have taken part in the debate with farmer the other day...seriously though, i dont see why you would attempt a bunt in that situation tho

Keith7
08-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
^^^must not have taken part in the debate with farmer the other day...seriously though, i dont see why you would attempt a bunt in that situation tho

I was just thinking the same thing :doh: :doh:

I hope he doesn't think I'm an ASStro fan either :doh: :doh:

BaseballUmp
08-14-2010, 12:42 AM
wasnt aware there were any of those left lol

GreenMonster
08-14-2010, 12:44 AM
^^^must not have taken part in the debate with farmer the other day...seriously though, i dont see why you would attempt a bunt in that situation tho I need more information actually. All I have is one run game (no idea who is in the lead), no mention of what inning, and no idea who the home team is. If it's prior to the 8th inning I let those 3 swing away. 8th or later and I'm on the road down by a run I play for the tie and work the squeeze. 8th and I'm home with a 1 run lead I work the squeeze as well for the extra cushion. In some situations I will trade an out for a run. Play for the win at home and the tie on the road. The fact that it is my 3 best hitter coming up gives me the confidence to pull the trigger on this play knowing that the next 2 hitters are likely to keep it going since I just started the inning with a triple and a squeeze which got my fans on their feet and the other guys on their heels. Pitcher should be rattled a bit after that as well which tends to lead to poor location by said pitcher to my next 2 hitters. It's a great play in that situation given the correct scenario. Plus you'd probably catch them with their pants down knowing it's your best 3 hitters coming up which helps your odds.

GreenMonster
08-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
I was just thinking the same thing :doh: :doh:

I hope he doesn't think I'm an ASStro fan either :doh: :doh:

umm, no missed that conversation.

and...am an idiot because I was thinking you were the Astro proponent in the Silver Boot discussion of past years. I retract my statements from above. :blush:

you can have your credentials back as well

Keith7
08-14-2010, 12:49 AM
umm, no missed that conversation.

and...am an idiot because I was thinking you were the Astro proponent in the Silver Boot discussion of past years. I retract my statements from above. :blush:

you can have your credentials back as well

:clap: :clap: :clap:

the Asstros suck.. There's a reason the Rangers have been the champs of Texas for six of the last seven years :cool: :cool:

BaseballUmp
08-14-2010, 12:50 AM
I need more information actually. All I have is one run game (no idea who is in the lead), no mention of what inning, and no idea who the home team is. If it's prior to the 8th inning I let those 3 swing away. 8th or later and I'm on the road down by a run I play for the tie and work the squeeze. 8th and I'm home with a 1 run lead I work the squeeze as well for the extra cushion. In some situations I will trade an out for a run. Play for the win at home and the tie on the road. The fact that it is my 3 best hitter coming up gives me the confidence to pull the trigger on this play knowing that the next 2 hitters are likely to keep it going since I just started the inning with a triple and a squeeze which got my fans on their feet and the other guys on their heels. Pitcher should be rattled a bit after that as well which tends to lead to poor location by said pitcher to my next 2 hitters. It's a great play in that situation given the correct scenario.
lol leadoff batter gets triple as the home team 2,3,4 coming up to bat...one missed bunt attempt lands you with the runner at third being thrown out and now with the best hope a runner at first with an out...i think you just have to try and bat the guy in...i mean j ham is batting .362 you have to think he can do it especially since he already had like 2 doubles in the game

GreenMonster
08-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
:clap: :clap: :clap:

the Asstros suck.. There's a reason the Rangers have been the champs of Texas for six of the last seven years :cool: :cool: but what about my scenarios??? I'd do it in a heart beat.

GreenMonster
08-14-2010, 12:53 AM
lol leadoff batter gets triple as the home team 2,3,4 coming up to bat...one missed bunt attempt lands you with the runner at third being thrown out and now with the best hope a runner at first with an out...i think you just have to try and bat the guy in...i mean j ham is batting .362 you have to think he can do it especially since he already had like 2 doubles in the game I like my chances with Micheal young getting it down. The dude is one of the most professional hitters in the game and is a great team player.

BaseballUmp
08-14-2010, 12:55 AM
but none of your situations were what happened being down a run as the home team in the bottom of the 9th...lol
but okay, up a run still no need to bunt, down a run in the 8th, still wouldn't bunt.

Just don't see why you bunt in the major leagues with your 2,3,4 coming up all of whom have been hot

GreenMonster
08-14-2010, 01:08 AM
but none of your situations were what happened being down a run as the home team in the bottom of the 9th Play for the win at home, therefore I need 2 runs and will play it as such and swing away. You are correct about there not being a need to do it, but I think it would work and personally would probably do just that in the correct situation. The best time to squeeze is when no one is expecting it. I squeezed with the bases loaded and 2 outs with my 9 hole hitter at bat (he was a solid bunter). That really rattled the opposing team and led to nice 2 out rally in a district game just this past season. No one expected it, everyone was late to move and everyone was safe. Pitcher was shook up pretty good and walked in a couple then my 3 hole doubled to clear them before the 4 hole finally grounded out. It was a 6 run swing when they expected to get out of a bases loaded jam and ultimately led to their demise as it crushed their spirit.

GreenMonster
08-14-2010, 01:12 AM

Just don't see why you bunt in the major leagues with your 2,3,4 coming up all of whom have been hot

Because Mariano the great was the opposing pitcher! That's why. Your way worked out real well (which is what I would have done too). 3 quick outs by the best in the business. Never in Mariano's career, NEVER, has he allowed a runner on third with no outs to score in a save situation. That right there is seriously impressive. Gotta give him credit for being able to get it done at nut cutting time.

BaseballUmp
08-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Play for the win at home, therefore I need 2 runs and will play it as such and swing away. You are correct about there not being a need to do it, but I think it would work and personally would probably do just that in the correct situation. The best time to squeeze is when no one is expecting it. I squeezed with the bases loaded and 2 outs with my 9 hole hitter at bat (he was a solid bunter). That really rattled the opposing team and led to nice 2 out rally in a district game just this past season. No one expected it, everyone was late to move and everyone was safe. Pitcher was shook up pretty good and walked in a couple then my 3 hole doubled to clear them before the 4 hole finally grounded out. It was a 6 run swing when they expected to get out of a bases loaded jam and ultimately led to their demise as it crushed their spirit.

Yea I understand how that happens as ive seen it many times especially when its so unexpected, but you have to imagine that professional ball players would be aware of all situations

BaseballUmp
08-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Because Mariano the great was the opposing pitcher! That's why. Your way worked out real well (which is what I would have done too). 3 quick outs by the best in the business. Never in Mariano's career, NEVER, has he allowed a runner on third with no outs to score in a save situation. That right there is seriously impressive. Gotta give him credit for being able to get it done at nut cutting time.
But he'd just given up a game the day before so you'd have to think that the Rangers were confident they could do it again.....btw im still holding out hopes that the Yankees and Rays will go down so I don't have to worry about trying to defend the Rangers as my bandwagon team lol