PDA

View Full Version : This is an honest to God question concerning recruiting

Old Tiger
08-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Is Jaxon Shipley not ranked higher in recruiting rankings because he's white?

garciap77
08-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger

:eek: :eek: :eek:

LE Dad
08-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Is Jaxon Shipley not ranked higher in recruiting rankings because he's white? LOL...:D

fresh-j
08-13-2010, 12:46 PM

Nah, probably because his size, and he hasn't been healthy 100% the last two years.. maybe because his name isn't LaDanian :D

waterboy
08-13-2010, 12:50 PM
I think it has more to do with the fact that Jaxon has already made a strong verbal committment to UT than anything. The recruiters will lay off if they feel it is moot to attempt to sway that decision.

GreenMonster
08-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Is Jaxon Shipley not ranked higher in recruiting rankings because he's white? I seriously doubt it. I understand what you are thinking, as the position is currently dominated by black athletes. It will all come out in the wash, just give it time. I don't really understand the point of recruiting rankings anyhow. I know Mel Kiper and a few other weasels out there have figured out a way to make a living off of it over the last few years, but it's all speculation and VERY subjective. There are only a handful of true can't miss prospects nationwide every year and those guys usually have exceptional size, speed, and the rarest quality of all superior work ethic. Talent alone might get you to the top, but it won't keep you there long and that's why I think that recruiting rankings are useless.

Old Tiger
08-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I seriously doubt it. I understand what you are thinking, as the position is currently dominated by black athletes. It will all come out in the wash, just give it time. I don't really understand the point of recruiting rankings anyhow. I know Mel Kiper and a few other weasels out there have figured out a way to make a living off of it over the last few years, but it's all speculation and VERY subjective. There are only a handful of true can't miss prospects nationwide every year and those guys usually have exceptional size, speed, and the rarest quality of all superior work ethic. Talent alone might get you to the top, but it won't keep you there long and that's why I think that recruiting rankings are useless. He's dominated all his camps this summer and has showed his best against the best DB's at those camps.

Also I think his brother was underrated because he was white too. IMO no way is Texas HS football all-time greatest receiver only the 18th best receiver in the nation which ironically where his brother is ranked right now.

ccmom
08-13-2010, 01:28 PM
I think it has nothing to do with the color of his skin, but it just might have something to do with the color of the uniform he wears this year. Burgundy...maroon...whatever :ack!:

:p

Yoe_09
08-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
I think it has nothing to do with the color of his skin, but it just might have something to do with the color of the uniform he wears this year. Burgundy...maroon...whatever :ack!:

Hey, that is a good color.

waterboy
08-13-2010, 01:31 PM

:D Yep. It's mighty hard to look pretty in those awful colors......:doh:

Farmersfan
08-13-2010, 01:32 PM

I have ZERO doubts that the color of his skin has a lot to do with it! But it's not acceptable for you to say so!!!!!!!!

Old Tiger
08-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I have ZERO doubts that the color of his skin has a lot to do with it! But it's not acceptable for you to say so!!!!!!!! I say and do what I want

Phil C
08-13-2010, 02:05 PM
BE POLITICALLY CORRECT!!

:mad:

Farmersfan
08-13-2010, 02:34 PM
I say and do what I want

What does that do? Does that blow your mind? That just happened! :D

Bullaholic
08-13-2010, 02:41 PM
I say and do what I want

Under about 8 different board names now---and counting....:D

Old Tiger
08-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Under about 8 different board names now---and counting....:D :D :clap:

95mustang
08-13-2010, 03:07 PM

:p :mad: Hey now, you don't have to be hating on the Maroon and White yet. After week 10 you will have a legitimate reason to hate on us. :D

Emerson1
08-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Same thing happened with Sam McGuffie

lostaussie
08-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I have ZERO doubts that the color of his skin has a lot to do with it! But it's not acceptable for you to say so!!!!!!!! I think you just said the same thing:thinking: :D

Matthew328
08-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Same thing happened with Sam McGuffie

McGuffie has turned out to be a bust thus far...or at least not near the player he was hyped to be.

I think Shipley was underrated mostly because until this summer he didn't hit the camp scene..throw in the fact his junior film isn't all that great (backup QB, injured etc) and it casued a bit of an underrated by the services..

I know rivals is coming out with their updated rankings and based on his performance at the State 7 on 7 and his performance at various camps I guarantee you he'll move up.

garciap77
08-13-2010, 04:17 PM

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Surprise/surprised-027.gif

Old Tiger
08-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Same thing happened with Sam McGuffie Sam was good but I don't think he's that good as Jaxon and Jordan were.

IMO Rex Burkhead was better than McGuffie and Swope.

coach
08-13-2010, 07:35 PM

duh? where have you been

Rocket
08-13-2010, 09:25 PM

Purple and yellow are the colors of a girl's youth softball team.

sinton66
08-14-2010, 09:11 AM
I think athletes wearing maroon and white look great!;)

Phantom Stang
08-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
I think athletes wearing maroon and white look great!;)
Well, I guess "dirty red" is better than no red at all.:p

skins4life
08-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
Purple and yellow are the colors of a girl's youth softball team.

:eek: