PDA

View Full Version : Homer PA announcer

XMan
08-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Who has the biggest homer for a PA announcer?

hollywood
08-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by XMan
Who has the biggest homer for a PA announcer?

Maybe not PA announcer, but live play by play broadcast is by far Stephenville's!

Looking4number8
08-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Who doesent?

jason
08-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by hollywood
Maybe not PA announcer, but live play by play broadcast is by far Stephenville's! they are pretty bad homers...

but as announcers and play by play they are pretty good...

Ex-Tiger2005
08-13-2010, 10:40 AM
who is brownwoods announcers?

BwdLion73
08-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
who is brownwoods announcers?

The "voice" of the Brownwood Lions...Dallas Huston. for the last 50 years. Up until the last couple of years he had Gordon Woods long time Assistant Coach Morris Southall in the booth. It was a hoot to listen to his take on what was going on, and was far from a homer. Sounded just as truthful as he did in the 70's

Ex-Tiger2005
08-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
The "voice" of the Brownwood Lions...Dallas Huston. for the last 50 years. Up until the last couple of years he had Gordon Woods long time Assistant Coach Morris Southall in the booth. It was a hoot to listen to his take on what was going on, and was far from a homer. Sounded just as truthful as he did in the 70's

That station is good! I listened to it after the game last year and they had play back and all that good stuff. I was surprised how far away from B'wood it reached!

XMan
08-13-2010, 11:46 AM
I always enjoy listening to the post game radio show of the guys from Crockett. They are hilarious.

waterboy
08-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Gilmer! If there's a bigger homer I haven't seen or heard him.....:doh: He does a good job, though, during the game. It's before the game when the homer comes out the worst. He's still fun, though.;)

BwdLion73
08-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
That station is good! I listened to it after the game last year and they had play back and all that good stuff. I was surprised how far away from B'wood it reached!

He has seen a few kids play in the last 47 or so years.He is a 4X sportscaster of the year winner for the Lone Star Conference award and was named Texas Monthly best High School Sportscaster in 1999. He supports all youth sports not just football but is most famous for his

"Brownwood Wins", "Brownwood wins" "Brownwood wins"

at the end of some of our more exciting games.
I guess if you don't have some homer in you your pretty boring.

Looking4number8
08-13-2010, 01:28 PM
is most famous for his

Ever wonder where "Owls win, Owls win, Owls win" in the movie "The Rookie" came from.... now you know!

Old Tiger
08-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Cameron by far...he's said stuff when he thought his mic was off lol.

ccmom
08-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Most PA announcers have the same monotone sound to me. As far as radio announcers, in my opinion, they SHOULD have some "homerism" about them. If I am having to listen to the game because I can't be there, I like to hear them get excited!! :)

Yoe_09
08-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Cameron by far...he's said stuff when he thought his mic was off lol.

Thats what you think..lol

LE Dad
08-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Gilmer! If there's a bigger homer I haven't seen or heard him.....:doh: He does a good job, though, during the game. It's before the game when the homer comes out the worst. He's still fun, though.;) Ya'lls guy isn't that bad.:D Now Atlanta...:doh: that guy is baaad. You can be up by 50 and alll you will hear blaring over the PA is "Theeeeeeres another Raaaaaaaaaabit Firrrrrrst Dowwwwn" of course Pleasant Grove is a real close 2nd place.

Matthew328
08-13-2010, 04:25 PM
He has seen a few kids play in the last 47 or so years.He is a 4X sportscaster of the year winner for the Lone Star Conference award and was named Texas Monthly best High School Sportscaster in 1999. He supports all youth sports not just football but is most famous for his

LOL I had never had an encounter with Dallas Huston until the Lions bi-district playoff game against Everman in Mansfield...he was talking to some Brownwood VIPs and telling them "when we win we are playing at so and so location etc." It was amusing when he turned around and saw the Everman coaches right behind him in the food line...he kind of muttered "good luck to ya'll" and hurried along...after the game (48-0 Everman) as the coaches were leaving the pressbox they walked by the broadcast area...(RL Anderson didn't have a radio booth) and one coach said "Mr. Huston we'll be playing at the Gopher Bowl next week." Being the pro that he is he acknowledged the coach and said on the radio as cool as can be "Next week Everman will be playing at the Gopher Bowl." It was quite amusing for this Everman homer, and an honor to meet him at the same time.

Keith7
08-13-2010, 04:29 PM

He stole that from the Yankees

XMan
08-13-2010, 04:55 PM
One Halloween night Bellville had an announcer that was supposed to announce that a club would be sponsoring a "house of horrors" after the game. The whole night it sounded like "a house of hores." Every time he would say the announcement, the entire stands would chuckle. A few times he even turned it around and said "a horror house" but you can imagine how it came out.

mwrams
08-13-2010, 06:05 PM
The announcer in Aledo..."and that another Bearcat first down"! What a homer!

NastySlot
08-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
He stole that from the Yankees

or was it harry carey.....cubs win cubs win cubs win.

bigwood33
08-13-2010, 07:19 PM
The announcer at Frisco Stadium is AWESOME! He is some really old guy who sounds like he is drinking during the game. I think he has been the PA announcer at Frisco Stadium for 40+ years. He has a real hard time pronouncing names that aren't Smith, Jones, etc. He might say the name 5 or 6 different ways during the course of the game. I laugh every time we play there.

I will tell one on our PA guy. A couple of years ago we were playing Celina and standout linebacker Caleb Lavey made a tackle. Our PA guy says, and I quote "...stopped for a short gain by number 45, Caleb Lavia". I almost fell out!

fresh-j
08-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by mwrams
The announcer in Aledo..."and that another Bearcat first down"! What a homer!

Don't you mean "Johnathan Gray, Johnathan Gray, and Johnathan Gray!". Lol

Keith7
08-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot

good point

:thinking: :thinking:

bigwood33
08-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
Dallas has been saying that for almost 50 years...much longer than Harry Carey was the Cubs announcer. Before Carey announced the Cubs he announced the Cardinals and I don't know if he said that when he was in St Louis. It certainly wasn't widely know if he did and Dallas predates the internet and cable tv.

LE Dad
08-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Dallas has been saying that for almost 50 years...much longer than Harry Carey was the Cubs announcer. Before Carey announced the Cubs he announced the Cardinals and I don't know if he said that when he was in St Louis. It certainly wasn't widely know if he did and Dallas predates the internet and cable tv. Cary did some radio work in the early part of his career including some Cotton Bowl broadcasts. I don't know if he had his unique stylings and sayings way back then and it is quite possible that both annoucers came up with the idea own their own.

garciap77
08-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Cary did some radio work in the early part of his career including some Cotton Bowl broadcasts. I don't know if he had his unique stylings and sayings way back then and it is quite possible that both annoucers came up with the idea own their own.

I knew it was not Rocket who started that saying!!!:D

;)

bigwood33
08-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Cary did some radio work in the early part of his career including some Cotton Bowl broadcasts. I don't know if he had his unique stylings and sayings way back then and it is quite possible that both annoucers came up with the idea own their own.
I'm not sure either but if you had ever heard Dallas, you would be entertained. He MAY have borrowed that saying but for those of us who have had the pleasure of listening to Dallas over the years, there is no doubt, he is one of a kind!

bigwood33
08-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
I knew it was not Rocket who started that saying!!!:D

;)

The only thing that Rocket has ever started is an argument! :D :rolleyes: ;)