PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater Mustang Article

Phantom Stang
08-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Mustangs are looking to regain swagger despite tough district
Written by Ron Howell
Saturday, 07 August 2010

After missing the playoffs just three times in a quarter-century and posting 29 consecutive winning seasons, Sweetwater saw its proud football program go through some hard times in 2009 under new head coach Craig Slaughter, finishing with a 1-9 record.
Part of the problem was playing in one of the state’s toughest districts — two of the three teams that made it out of district played for state championships while the other reached the regional semifinals.
But Sweetwater played in the same district in 2008 and still managed to compile a 10-3 record. And now that Slaughter and his players are more familiar with each other, the Mustangs will look to get back to their winning ways this season.
The district lost Graham and Breckenridge to UIL realignment, but will still be one of the best in Class 3A with Brownwood, Wylie and Snyder all ranked among the state’s top teams in this year’s preseason polls. And with Big Spring, which has moved down from Class 4A after a 10-3 playoff season, also in the district, Sweet-water will certainly have its hands full on Friday nights.
But Slaughter is used to defying expectations, having done so at his previous stops in Hearne and Clyde, and he’s ready to prove the naysayers wrong again.
“We had a great spring and off-season, and the kids are excited,” he said. “They know they’ve got to prove something and get it turned back in a positive direction.
“The guys have really impressed me with their attitudes and work ethic. It’s good to see what they’ve been doing,” he continued.
“We have to improve in so many areas, and we’re working our butts off to get that done.”
Having a more seasoned quarterback could go a long way toward making that a reality. Junior Taylor Jones (165), who threw for 702 yards in seven games a year ago, may see his numbers improve significantly. The Mustangs also return senior running back B.J. Walker (205), who rushed for 667 yards and was named to the all-district second team, and senior cornerback Kris Mayes (155), who defended 10 passes and also recorded 72 tackles in 2009.
“Having a returning quarterback is a big thing just for his (Jones’) confidence,” Slaughter said. “There’s more of a comfort level and more maturity when you’ve done it before.”
Jones completed 59 of 118 passes, a respectable 50 percent, with seven interceptions during a season where the Mustangs were often put into predictable passing situations more often than they wanted to be due to lopsided scores.
Sam Nemir ((175), Anthony Palacios (180) and Kevin Sepeda (180) will vie for playing time at fullback, with Walker and Jarrell Houston (170) at tailback.
Dylon Adames (185) re-turns as the starting center and guard Rance Stone (180) also has starting experience. Josh Larue (205), Jordan Houston (225) and Malcolm Jackson (240) are the other guard candidates with Spencer Young (190), Hunter Johnson (205) and Anthony Ortega (275) competing for the tackle spots and Connor Stafford (205) and Larry Daniel (170) the top candidates at tight end.
Cameron Fox (155) will likely start at split end, with Ryan Linebaugh (165) in the slot position and Tanner Crain (155) also getting lots of playing time at receiver.
Sweetwater’s defense al-lowed an average of more than 35 points a game in 2009, but is expected to be much improved this year.
Mayes returns in the secondary along with free safety Linebaugh, as well as Walker and Nemir at linebacker and Mateo Gonzales (225) at defensive tackle.
Jordan Houston and Stafford are also vying to play at tackle in a 4-3 setup, with Max Zetzman (190), Ryan Mercer (200), Daniel and Young competing for the defensive end spots.
The linebackers will be Nemir or Josh Gomez (165) on the strong side, Walker and Jarrell Houston on the weak side and Kyle Lambert (185) in the middle.
Fox, Sterling Reeves (160) and Jacob Villalpando (145) will compete for the other cornerback slot and Sean Morrow (165), Parker Scott (145) and Andrew Leyba (140) are the candidates to play at strong safety.
Special teams have yet to be decided, but Slaughter plans to use Stone at punter and Jordan Houston as the team’s placekicker with Gabriel Medellin (175), currently out with an injury, also in the picture. Leyba, Mayes, Jarrell Houston and Linebaugh are being con-sidered as kick returners.
Only two of the six teams on Sweetwater’s non-district schedule — Monahans and TAPPS member Mid-land Christian — made the playoffs this past season, though Vernon and Midland Greenwwood are perennial post-season contenders and Early has also enjoyed playoff success in recent years.
Still, Slaughter knows it will be important for his team to get off to a good start and build up its confidence before heading into the district schedule.
The season begins with tough road trips to Vernon and Monahans. However, Sweetwater will then play four of its next five games at home including its District 5-3A opener against Wylie on Oct. 8 to end a three-week homestand.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/247918/122/

IrishTex
08-09-2010, 04:38 PM
A nice article.

The Ponies have some size, and more experience. Looking for a good season.

fresh-j
08-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Phantom stang. How's Taylor jones going to be?

STANG RED
08-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Gotta hand it to Ron Howell. He does a great job of covering the Mustangs in every sport, boys and girls alike. Great article Ron! All of the sudden I feel much more optimistic about my boys in RED.

DaHop72
08-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Gotta hand it to Ron Howell. He does a great job of covering the Mustangs in every sport, boys and girls alike. Great article Ron! All of the sudden I feel much more optimistic about my boys in RED. Feel optimistic enough for a t-shirt bet??:devil: :devil:

Sweetwater Red
08-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Uh...You already owe me and STANG RED a CFS from last year's baseball season.
Ya'll may have forgotten. But, I haven't. :D

Will that be Ms. Allen's or Skeet's when Snyder comes to town? :thinking:

Phantom Stang
08-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by fresh-j
Phantom stang. How's Taylor jones going to be?
I no longer live in Sweetwater, so all I know about the Mustangs is what I either see, hear, or dream up LOL.

Having said that, I'll defer your question to someone closer to the situation, such as Sweetwater Red, Getrdonestangs or anyone else who knows something about Taylor Jones.;)

Phantom Stang
08-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Gotta hand it to Ron Howell. He does a great job of covering the Mustangs in every sport, boys and girls alike. Great article Ron! All of the sudden I feel much more optimistic about my boys in RED.
:iagree: Folks like to put down the Sweetwater Reporter, but they need to try to find articles on other 3A teams around the state. They'll find very few towns of under 15,000 with a newspaper that even starts to compare in quality with our hometown paper.:clap:

DaHop72
08-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Uh...You already owe me and STANG RED a CFS from last year's baseball season.
Ya'll may have forgotten. But, I haven't. :D

Will that be Ms. Allen's or Skeet's when Snyder comes to town? :thinking: I know that, I'm no welcher but let's talk football. :devil: Of course if I remember we already have a standing bet for this year.:D As to where we eat, no doubt Ms. Allen's.:thumbsup:

Sweetwater Red
08-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I know that, I'm no welcher but let's talk football. :devil: Of course if I remember we already have a standing bet for this year.:D As to where we eat, no doubt Ms. Allen's.:thumbsup:

Now see I don't remember that standing bet. :confused: :D

Sounds good. By the way, I plan on making the Snyder/Monahans
game. Maybe we can have a Snyder/Sweetwater M&G at halftime. :doh: