PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley-Cuero Season Opener

wimbo_pro
08-08-2010, 10:30 AM
I just made my hotel reservation for the 27th in Cuero. Not a lot to choose from in Cuero itself, but I am not going to drive another 25 miles further south to Victoria for a better hotel! So...it's the Best Western.

Wimberley has a history of not traveling as well as other teams (especially compared to Cuero's fans, for goodness sake!). So, I am going to make this one as a show of support for the boys. This really could be a huge indicator of what we are made of...and maybe the same can be said for Cuero. Neither team will be terribly hurt with a loss this early in the season, but a win for Wimberley would REALLY be a boost. Cuero hasnt lost a home game in what? 60+ games or something like that?

But then the question is...can anyone beat Cuero two times in the same season? I dunno...

Old Green
08-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
I just made my hotel reservation for the 27th in Cuero. Not a lot to choose from in Cuero itself, but I am not going to drive another 25 miles further south to Victoria for a better hotel! So...it's the Best Western.

Wimberley has a history of not traveling as well as other teams (especially compared to Cuero's fans, for goodness sake!). So, I am going to make this one as a show of support for the boys. This really could be a huge indicator of what we are made of...and maybe the same can be said for Cuero. Neither team will be terribly hurt with a loss this early in the season, but a win for Wimberley would REALLY be a boost. Cuero hasnt lost a home game in what? 60+ games or something like that?

But then the question is...can anyone beat Cuero two times in the same season? I dunno... Good thing about staying at the Best Western, is it's right across the street from the High School and the Stadium. You can walk there in 3 minutes.

CueroDad08
08-08-2010, 12:45 PM

But then the question is...can anyone beat Cuero two times in the same season? I dunno...

Yes, that would be something........Knocking off the Gobblers at home early,then come back and beat them in the playoffs in the same season. One thing about this Sr. group, They WILL NOT let both of those happen if either.

mwynn05
08-08-2010, 12:50 PM
ive been involved in sports my whole life playing or coaching and ive never "let" any one beat us

wimbo_pro
08-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
Yes, that would be something........Knocking off the Gobblers at home early,then come back and beat them in the playoffs in the same season. One thing about this Sr. group, They WILL NOT let both of those happen if either.

Yeah, I know CueroDad. If you guys were coming to Wimberley instead, I'd feel a lot better about the chances of this happening. But chances be damned, the boys plan on making it happen. You should know that if we are able to beat you on the 27th, we will be saying we can definitely do it again in November!! If we lose, we will be saying we can definitely beat you in November!! So...you're toast in November no matter what!!! LOL

(Of course this is all dependent on both of us making the play offs and to the 2nd or 3rd round...dont think I dont know this!!)

Bosqueville
08-08-2010, 01:58 PM
You're not kidding when you say your fans don't travel well. Last year in the 3rd round of the playoffs against brownwood you brought a very small amount of fans. Why is that? Brownwood couldn't wedge another person in on their side!

wimbo_pro
08-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Bosqueville
You're not kidding when you say your fans don't travel well. Last year in the 3rd round of the playoffs against brownwood you brought a very small amount of fans. Why is that? Brownwood couldn't wedge another person in on their side!

I cant say with any certainty,Bosqueville. I have a few thoughts on why it is true, but I dont know for sure, and I dont want to guess out loud.

Cowboy_Up
08-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Cuero will be good again this year, but I think it'll take them a little while to realize how hard it is to replace a Tyler Arndt. Some players just make big play after big play, our Kam Jones was like that. Other great players make all the plays look easy. The way they manage the team, the game, the clock, their feel for the game is unsurpassed and hard to gauge because they make it look so easy. Arndt was one of those kids.
I look for Cuero to struggle a bit early and then come together and make another deep run.

TexanAlum_06
08-08-2010, 04:07 PM
I cant say with any certainty,Bosqueville. I have a few thoughts on why it is true, but I dont know for sure, and I dont want to guess out loud.

Wimbo I have noticed that as well and haven't really been able to come up with a educated opinion. I would like to hear your honest thoughts on why our road crew is so small...If you would rather not talk about it on here then send me an email.

What did you think about the scrimmage Saturday? We have surprisingly good size this year (best since '06) and everybody seems to be playing at a faster tempo - due to maturity and a off-season of weights + speed camp (which I heard that pretty much the entire football team attended camp).

I thought the new QB looked pretty good - I would imagine he will get better and better the more he plays considering he hasn't played QB in a while. He doesn't shy away from contact. The offensive line has good size and they get after it. That right side of the line with 79 and 72 are going to have a great year.

Bottom line is I saw a bunch of athletes out there that can play multiple positions- we just need to find the best way to use them together and play as a team. Not in week 4, but in week 0.

crabman
08-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Cuero has not lost at home since a 46-22 loss to Rice Consolidated in 2003. That was the only loss of the Reeve era. He had three weeks to put in a new offense, a new defense, and get to know his players. He was a 5A coach who tried to platoon everything. With Cuero being a small 3A school he figured out you had to put your best athletes on the field every play and make sure they are conditioned so they don't tire out. He never lost another home game in 7 years.

The Wimberly game will be baptism by fire for Owens. New quarterback, new offensive coordinator, new defensive coordinator. Could be tough for three or four weeks.

12thMan
08-08-2010, 10:16 PM
I think your right crabman. It will be tough, no doubt. Gobblers also have a young, but bigger, OL this year. They are returning 5 on each side of the ball, that will provide some much needed leadership on the field. This team will get better every game and make another big run!!

The defense will be good!! Look out, here come the GOBBLERS!!

hookandladder
08-09-2010, 06:24 AM
We scrimmage Cuero in a couple of weeks, I will wait to make my prediction after it. I know Jackson will be a beast, I would think most teams will stack the LOS and make the young QB beat them. You cannot replace a Tyler, just hope the young QB can manage the game for a win.

wimbo_pro
08-09-2010, 10:58 AM
I take a little bit of comfort in knowing Cuero might not be hitting on all cylinders...but VERY little comfort. Cuero is Cuero. It's in their stadium. It's that simple.

This will be a huge mountain to climb, but we CAN do it if we are better prepared and we execute our game plan...we do have the athletes to make it happen.

wimbo_pro
08-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
We scrimmage Cuero in a couple of weeks, I will wait to make my prediction after it. I know Jackson will be a beast, I would think most teams will stack the LOS and make the young QB beat them. You cannot replace a Tyler, just hope the young QB can manage the game for a win.

Your input will be much appreciated, Hook!

wimbo_pro
08-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06

What did you think about the scrimmage Saturday?

I saw a good performance, but some to-be-expected sloppiness in execution of some of the offensive series. I think the size of the line is bigger than not only the 06 team, but the 05 Championship team as well. But that doesnt matter...we will not be as big as teams like Cuero, Brownwood, WOS, etc. We never have been, and probably never will be. It will be the quickness and speed that will win the day for us...and I think we have that.

Speed is good...very good. Our running game will be a big threat with Smith (as always) and now with a mobile and decently fast QB. Then add to it the passing threat that comes with a spread and a decent running game, also adding in the junior sensation receiver Blakemore...we could see some great offensive performances.

Defense. That will be the key. Defense. I am holding judgment for a bit longer.

CueroDad08
08-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder

This "Young" QB your talking about is a SR. and has played QB every year he has played the game exception of last year when he played WR. The kid can flat out run the ball very well, and has a good arm. " No Tyler Arndt arm", but can pass very well. This team is looking very well. Line is not as big as 05 but around 285 across the front. Very solid running game, (3 headed monster) Very nice WR's, Speed along with great hands. This team will kill anyone who fails to respect the passing game.