View Full Version : Big Spring Steers

Phantom Stang
08-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Preseason practice begins
Tuesday, 03 August 2010
Solid first day for Ritchey, Steers

BY ADAM COLEMAN
Sports Editor
Phillip Ritchey's message to his Steers on the first day of two-a-days Monday at the Big Spring High School Athletic Training Center was clear: be mentally tough.

“If we're not, then maybe people are right about us coming into this 3A district that maybe we don't belong in,” he said, explaining that message in detail. “It's going to get a lot tougher down the road. We've got to be able to handle tough situations. That's my message to them: No matter how tough the situation is, you've got to be able to handle it and be ready to perform.”

With that in mind, Ritchey and the coaching staff were pleased with the first day of workouts to begin the countdown to the season opener against Fort Stockton on Aug. 27.

The Steers entered summer workouts with a handful of questions coaches hope to find answers to soon.

For the first day, however, it was all about teaching.

Ritchey said he was glad to get back on the field Monday even though the team is a few days away from being in pads and practice being faster.

In fact, Ritchey said one of the most difficult hurdles of the first practice is getting organized, but he believes players got past that quickly and things should move faster today.

One of the focuses in Monday's practice was the Steers' defense.

A lot of the focus in practice was on coverages and the defensive front and it was chance for a few new faces to make a good first impression on defensive coordinator Don Kelso.

For Big Spring, three starters — free safety Mike Menefield, strong safety Dennis Merworth and defensive end Devonte Lloyd — are set and who the other eight will be by the time Aug. 27 gets here will be determined during the next few weeks.

“I told them, basically, those three guys have their position,” Kelso said. “There's eight spots that are open for a fight right now. Do we have ideas of who we think might win it? Yes we do. But there's a surprise every year.”

Kelso said he'll find out more about his unit as two-a-days continue but Monday was all about making sure everyone is in sync.

The good news, Kelso said, is everyone is picking up things quickly even though are a lot more practices left.

Where it seems like the Steers have no worries is on the other side of the ball on the offensive line. They return all five starters, including standout guard Jackson Watkins.

With the O-line arguably begin the strongest unit on the field for the Steers, Watkins said he and the rest of his unit understand how important they are to Big Spring's success this year.

“Just lets you know you have a lot of responsibility,” he said. “You have to be there for the rest of the team to build on, for the whole team to do better.”

His unit will be in the spotlight today along with the rest of the offense and the coaching staff might be a step closer to finding out what it has at the skill positions.

Ritchey pointed out before two-days that one of the biggest questions might be who's going to be moving the ball for BSHS this season.

It starts with quarterback and Ritchey has options. He said the staff is looking at Merworth, among others, to fill the spot. Then there's receiver and running back, where the Steers also need replacements.

“Our first offensive practice, we're going to start evaluating receivers,” Ritchey said. “Probably moving some people around. We've got some ideas of where somebody might play but once we see them, it could change in a hurry.

“That's what the rest of the week is about is evaluating kids just as far as catching and running, able to perform the assignments.”

http://www.bigspringherald.com/content/view/257243/34/

Phantom Stang
08-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Band of brothers
Wednesday, 04 August 2010
O-line key to Steers' success this season

BY ADAM COLEMAN
Sports Editor
Every Wednesday night during the season, it's not uncommon to see the Steers' offensive linemen out for dinner, socializing among each other.

It's a weekly get-together the five players take part in and by season's end, other teammates, coaches and sometimes parents join them.

It's not just five friends hanging out, though. Something as simple as dinner on Wednesday night is indicative of the bond these offensive linemen have.

Coaches believe that bond has made the offensive line the strongest unit on the field for the Steers and a lot of what Big Spring does this season could rest on its shoulder.

The Steers enter workouts having to replace all six skill position players who graduated. Whatever happens at running back and quarterback, coaches believe it has a chance to succeed because of the five up front — Tanner Henry, Jonathan Molina, Julian Ramirez, Jacob Wylie and Jackson Watkins.

“If nothing else, we know what those guys can do and we know we'll be able to run the football as we develop our passing game,” head coach Phillip Ritchey said. “Having those guys up front, definitely going to be the anchor and the strong point of our offense. We're going to ride those guys until they can't be ridden anymore.”

There are a handful of reasons the offensive line is key this season, and it starts with the fact that all five starters are experienced. They have played with each other for years.

Molina said this group dates back to its days in junior high school and their so familiar with each other, Molina said they're like family.

“We don't even have to hesitate,”he said. “It's like second nature to us. We're like brothers. We know what each person's going to do.”

Ritchey said not having to worry so much about his O-line, leaves the coaching staff with time to develop a ground attack and slowly bring along the passing attack with a new signal caller.

Reg McConnell, one of the offensive line coaches, said the O-line's skill actually takes pressure off the running back and an inexperienced quarterback who might need time to throw the ball.

Not having familiar faces around them isn't a huge hurdle to overcome, either, Watkins said.

“I guess the hardest thing about it is you get used to having the same person back there and it gets to where it is second nature,” he said. “Basically, all you have to do is what we're doing right now. Just building that relationship again with the new players that are stepping up. So far it seems to be going pretty good.”

Ritchey said each lineman brings something to the table.

There's the right guard Watkins, who Ritchey said is one of the smartest players on the field, a good communicator and keeps the unit in check.

The left tackle, Henry, has the mobility of a tight end and the size of lineman. Molina, the left guard, is the All-State guard who is big, strong and moves defensive linemen off the ball.

Ritchey said Ramirez is small at center, but key to the line's success with his agility. Then there's Wylie, who is kind of a mixture of his fellow linemen, smart and quick.

It's not just the starters, either. Coaches believe they have one of the deepest O-lines at Big Spring in recent memory.

John Wright, another offensive line coach, pointed out Sawyer Roberts, Lucas Ontiveros, Michaels Carillo, Julio Granillo and Devon Davis-Locke as other linemen key to the Steers' success this season.

The offensive line feels no pressure with the label of strongest unit on the team, either. McConnell said they welcome it.

“This year, I think they're motivation is kind of, 'It's all on them,'” he said. “They want to move up to that expectation that's been built for them and it's a high expectation. I think they can do it and I think they want to do it. I think it kind of gets their motor running.”

Wright said heading into the 2009 season, coaches knew they had a solid group of linemen back, but this year, they know they have a group of linemen back who could determine how successful this team is.

“You're looking at kids,” he said, “that have grown 15 to 20 pounds of muscle over the last 12 months that are about to be that much more big and that much more strong.”
Last Updated ( Thursday, 05 August 2010 )

http://www.bigspringherald.com/content/view/257830/34/

Phantom Stang
08-06-2010, 01:01 PM
BSHS preseason practice
Thursday, 05 August 2010
DBs prepare to play both ways

BY ADAM COLEMAN
Sports Editor
Mention Jaxon Shipley and teams like Brownwood and the Steers' secondary gets excited. Big Spring's defensive backs are eager to face the best.

“I know for sure Snyder throws it a lot,” strong safety Dennis Merworth said, “and with Shipley being Brownwood's No. 1 receiver, you know they're going to pass it a lot.

“It's always good to go against the best and that's what we want.”

This secondary might get all it can handle this season, but similar to previous years at Big Spring, the defensive backs won't just be swatting away passes.

These may also be the guys who catch touchdowns and, in Debonte Anderson's case, throws them.

With much attention on the what Big Spring lost at the skill positions, the Steers' defensive backs also hope to be adequate replacements at wideout and quarterback.

Coaches believe one thing is for sure: these players are not lacking talent.

Free safety Mike Menefield and Merworth have the experience as returning starters. However, Menefield will get a look at receiver and Merworth could get looks at quarterback too.

The new cornerbacks getting reps with the starters right now are Debonte Anderson and Terrell Dimmerson. Anderson also could be at quarterback this season and Dimmerson also will be at wideout.

To handle all of this, coaches believe well-conditioned players are key.

With the workouts this summers, Menefield said he and his teammates should stay in shape and be ready by the time the season starts.

Head coach Phillip Ritchey said two-way players are found at this level of high school football often and two-a-days are especially important for these four players because of what they're expected to do this season.

“The 3As, 2As and 1As, they've got guys that play both sides and sometimes hardly ever come off the field,” he said. “You've got to be in shape and that's the most important part of these two-a-days is getting those guys in shape along with the practice they get on both sides of the ball.”

Replacing all six skill players can be tough, but Menefield said this offense should come together and keep things rolling for the Steers.

“People say we've lost a lot of skill people, but there are people on this team they haven't heard of,” he said. “We have a lot of great players coming in and I think we're going to be a surprise next year coming out and we're going to be playing pretty good.”

Anderson may have the toughest challenge when it comes to being a two-way player.

Head coach Phillip Ritchey said the coaching staff is far from naming a starter, but Anderson is getting strong consideration.

Ritchey said his athleticism and ability as a dual threat gives the Steers options at quarterback.

Anderson has a good source to refer to, if he ever needed advice, too.

Monte Anderson, Debonte's brother, was the Steers' stud running back last season and one of the players their trying to replace.

Debonte said he is glad for the one year he got to play with his brother, but now he has a chance to keep the offense rolling like Monte did.

“We'll keep contact and he's going to always give me advice and always help me out,” Debonte said. “I know I can lean on him when I need his help.”

Dimmerson is the new face on the secondary. He got experience last season after being pulled up from junior varsity for the playoffs and he said that helped him settle in at left corner. Ritchey said Dimmerson has some things to work on at receiver, but his speed and quickness make him a solid corner.

Defensive backs coach Nick Roberson said the good thing about his players is their athleticism allows them to play both ways, especially with Menefield, who also is a track star.

“You can tell by his triple jump and everything else he's an incredible athlete,” he said. “He's going to have a chance to got to college and play. Yeah, he's a great athlete, but he's real coachable too. That's what makes him an even better athlete. Dennis is a good athlete and those others are good athletes.”

Ritchey said coaches have a pretty good handle on making sure players will be rested enough to play both ways.

Defensive coordinator Don Kelso knows the challenge his secondary has in front of it, but he is confident he has the right personnel.

“It's not only conditioning but it's mental,” he said. “They're going to have to change their mindset to an offensive mindset, then change it back to a defensive mindset. That's hard to do if you haven't been doing it.”
Last Updated ( Friday, 06 August 2010 )

http://www.bigspringherald.com/content/view/258373/34/

95mustang
08-06-2010, 01:39 PM
These boys have no idea what they are about to step into.

Trashman
08-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
These boys have on idea what they are about to step into. :spitlol: :iagree:

Matthew328
08-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Big Spring had two nice years in 4A, but as soon as they ran into someone who was decent they were sent packing...can't see them doing much w/all that youth at the skill spots...although having five starters back up front is nice.

Ex-Tiger2005
08-06-2010, 03:56 PM
just run the ball with those guys back!

Phantom Stang
08-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Steeers' QBs look to take next step
DaVonte Anderson is slated to be the starter at quarterback for Big Spring, but backup Garrett Stuteville also has impressed during two-a-day practices. (HERALD photo/Tony Claxton)

BY ADAM COLEMAN
Sports Editor
Davonte Anderson and Garrett Stuteville couldn't be any more different at quarterback.

One exemplifies the dual-threat quarterback seen often at most levels of high school football and the other is more likely to stay in the pocket and make that 20-yard pass on 3rd and 15.

There's no argument on which style is better between the two, however. In fact, the two complimenting each other is heard more often.

“He's got the legs, I don't,” Stuteville said. “I might have a little bit more on the deep ball than he does, but we push each other.”

Anderson attributes some of his growth at quarterback to working with Stuteville.

“I've been working a lot with Garrett,” he said. “We both feed off each other, we both learn from each other. I'm not going to say that I'm 10 times better than Garrett. Garrett's right there with me. I'm learning things from him and he's learning things from me.”

Just like Anderson and Stuteville's styles are different, Big Spring's situation at quarterback is worlds apart from what it was last year.

In 2009, there was gunslinger Tyler Tannehill who already had command of the offense. Now, the speedy senior Anderson and talented junior Stuteville hope to ease the loss of the Steers' standout signal caller to graduation.

Head coach Phillip Ritchey said Anderson is the starter, but Stuteville isn't too far behind him. Ritchey previously indicated safety Dennis Merworth would get a shot at quarterback, but as two-a-days roll along, that has changed. The senior defensive back could play at receiver, but Ritchey said safety will be his focus.

There's also the unknown with Forsan transfer Jake Rhoten, who has not had a lot of chance to practice with an ailing foot infection.

So with Anderson and Stuteville get most of the reps at quarterback, and the two having contrasting styles, would both get a chance to play this season to keep defenses on its heels?

“If the situation presents itself and we have to get down the field throwing the ball, then yeah, that'll be something that we'd definitely look at,” Ritchey said. “We'd probably give Davonte a chance if he has trouble getting us down the field in a passing situation. The next time, we might go with Garrett early in the season, see if he can handle it, because we've got to know those things when we get to district, for sure.”

While Anderson and Stuteville have a few differences as far as how they prefer to move the ball, they do have one thing in common: both players believe they have room to grow.

For Stuteville, it's all about getting used to quick, 200-some-odd-pound linemen who will be in his face while he's trying to make throws. This is Stuteville's first season on varsity after starting for the junior varsity team last season.

Stuteville said getting experience and comfortable with the faster level of play on varsity is key to his success.

Stuteville also is pretty blunt about his chances of starting this season. He said he knows the job firmly belong to Anderson, but it doesn't mean he should stop working. In fact, Stuteville said he is working hard during two-a-days just in case he sees more snaps than he's used to.

Coaches have taken notice.

“Everything we've asked Garrett to do he has done it and he's worked hard to get to the varsity level since he was in eighth grade,” said Dustin Todd, who works with the quarterbacks. “He's making major strides this year and he's doing a great job. Couldn't ask for any more from either one of those guys.”

Anderson is hoping keep shades of what his brother Monte did for the Steers around for another year.

But while Anderson said he loves to make plays outside the pocket, he believes he needs the deep ball to go with it.

Anderson said coaches are working with him to develop a better passing game and he's getting better in that area each day.

Both players also are aware of who they have to follow.

While Monte Anderson made plays for the Steers at tailback last season, coaches believe Tannehill had the arm to make the offense dangerous.

Anderson and Stuteville just want to make sure they keep the offense moving.

“Tyler was a great quarterback,” Anderson said. “He knew how to put the ball right on the money. I have to step up and fill those shoes. It's a big step, but I'm ready and the coaches are ready to work with me. I'm ready to give them my all.”
Last Updated ( Thursday, 12 August 2010 )

http://www.bigspringherald.com/content/view/261742/34/