PDA

View Full Version : Prayer at Football Games

SHSBulldog00
08-04-2010, 05:20 PM
This might been seen as religious thread, but it has to do with football games.

We like many others have a moment of silence at least.

SHSBulldog00
08-04-2010, 05:27 PM
What about those that play at Parochial Schools? I think I spelled it right?

Pick6
08-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Every game I attended last year had a prayer before the game, 99% of them lead by a student of the home team.

BILLYFRED0000
08-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
Every game I attended last year had a prayer before the game, 99% of them lead by a student of the home team.

Yep. this is gods country. PP and Celina have a long standing tradition of that. When they first passed the law about prayer GA chose to be the first to break it so to speak and say a public prayer for a football game. He commented that and I paraphrase between god and man he would choose god. Just the kind of people that these two communities have been turning out for years.

garciap77
08-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Yes - throughout the school!

Bullaholic
08-05-2010, 11:16 AM
I've never heard from anyone who has given me an intelligent, well-founded objection to non-denominational, generic (use of word "God", only) prayer at games. I see nothing but positives by allowing this type of prayer at school activities. If there is any hint of religious bias or discrimination in any of the prayers, then I think they should be prohibited. The text of all proposed prayers should be available for review by any interested party prior to presentation, and all complaints and prayer content reviewed without bias by an appropriate committee comprised of un-biased school district citizens and school officials representing as broad of a base of religious and ethnic diversity as possible. Those persons not believing in a religion should be allowed the option of requesting an equal-time moment of silence before or after prayer presentations.

Old Tiger
08-05-2010, 11:33 AM
I think only in certain situations such as a loss in the community and major catastrophes. Other than that you are forcing religion down peoples throats and in this day and age with many religions and atheist growing ever more popular it could get dangerous.

DDBooger
08-05-2010, 11:42 AM
As an athiest, I could care less. Just give anyone else who prays to sky people the same regard.

SHSBulldog00
08-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Yep. this is gods country. PP and Celina have a long standing tradition of that. When they first passed the law about prayer GA chose to be the first to break it so to speak and say a public prayer for a football game. He commented that and I paraphrase between god and man he would choose god. Just the kind of people that these two communities have been turning out for years.

We are much the same in Sweeny. There is a church on every other corner. For a town of 3,000 plus we have 30 or more churches. After the ruling we still said the Lords Prayer in the stands. When our players enter the field they run down to the opposite endzone and take a knee.

pirate4state
08-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
As an athiest, I could care less. Just give anyone else who prays to sky people the same regard. LOL sky people?

Keith7
08-05-2010, 03:03 PM
If we are to pray to a christian god before games, we should also pray to Allah, Buddha, Muhammad and everyone's god as well... That could take awhile.. After all freedom of religion is what helped found this great country, why make everyone uncomfortable with christian only prayers?

Farmersfan
08-05-2010, 03:20 PM
I really don't see a issue with a moment of silence before the game to allow anyone who wants to pray(silently) to do so! And even though I believe prayer in any form is completely contradictory to the Christian beliefs as we are taught them I still will participate in the act because most of my life I have been conditioned to think it is the norm. So on the one hand I understand how this practice should not be allowed but on the other hand I really don't mind it.

Gobbla2001
08-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Hmmmm...

I say open-mic for all religions, or just nothing at all...

DDBooger
08-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Hmmmm...

I say open-mic for all religions, or just nothing at all...

Even BBDE's new religion. The Branch Garydians!

:D I'll let him explain its tenets.

ctown
08-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
If we are to pray to a christian god before games, we should also pray to Allah, Buddha, Muhammad and everyone's god as well... That could take awhile.. After all freedom of religion is what helped found this great country, why make everyone uncomfortable with christian only prayers?

You have just called Muhammad a god. That would get you a good thrashing or worse in some countries. But they are infidels because they don't have the one true game, football. Not to be confused with futbol. Glad we live in a place where we can debate it.

DDBooger
08-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by ctown
Glad we live in a place where we can debate it. Or not accept it at all. ;)

ctown
08-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Or not accept it at all. ;)

Well, in the grand scheme of things... I suppose that term may not mean a lot either. Let's just say everyone of us has a belief regarding the universe. Now whether or not that involves faith is another issue within our belief systems.

ctown
08-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Am not sure but perhaps an atheist dissertation on the origin of the universe might qualify for pregame ceremony. The same people who keep talking and joking around during the prayers will find it no less interesting.

Jus tryin to keep the thread on topic...

DDBooger
08-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Well, in the grand scheme of things... I suppose that term may not mean a lot either. Let's just say everyone of us has a belief regarding the universe. Now whether or not that involves faith is another issue within our belief systems. not accepting X does not mean you decline Y. Beliefs and religiousity built around beliefs are different. But, I think I get the gist of what you're saying.

Keith7
08-05-2010, 03:58 PM
You have just called Muhammad a god. That would get you a good thrashing or worse in some countries. But they are infidels because they don't have the one true game, football. Not to be confused with futbol. Glad we live in a place where we can debate it.

I'm not a religious expert by any means. What I was trying to say is I think a moment of silence should be enough to make people happy.. If not, then you're trying to force your religion on everybody in attendance, purposely or not..

Bullaholic
08-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm not a religious expert by any means. What I was trying to say is I think a moment of silence should be enough to make people happy.. If not, then you're trying to force your religion on everybody in attendance, purposely or not..

Use of the word "god" in a prayer does not force anyone's religion on anyone in my book---rather I take it to be a reference to a person's personal god as they perceive he/she/him/it/they to be. The moment of silence of equal time should satisfy agnostics,athiests, and other non-believers. Why can't we just try our best to satisfy everyone's requirements as closely as we can without making a complete mess of something that could be meaningful and positive for all?

ctown
08-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Use of the word "god" in a prayer does not force anyone's religion on anyone in my book---rather I take it to be a reference to a person's personal god as they perceive he/she/him/it/they to be. The moment of silence of equal time should satisfy agnostics,athiests, and other non-believers. Why can't we just try our best to satisfy everyone's requirements as closely as we can without making a complete mess of something that could be meaningful and positive for all?

I understand what you are saying but oddly enough, I don't think our atheist friends would care either way for a moment of silence. Times is a wasting. Get on with the game.

Farmersfan
08-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Perhaps it isn't forcing any ONE particular religion on anyone but it certainly is still forcing the concept of and practice of religious ceremony on everyone!

Ranger Mom
08-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Well....I feel like the "F" word is being crammed down my throat in every Wal-Mart, fast food restaurant, etc. I go!

Those people don't care, so why should I care if my praying to the God I believe in offends someone else....I DON'T!!!

If you wanna pray to your "God" of choice, by all means, knock yourself out!!!!

I am so tired of pandering to everyone elses feelings!

Ranger Mom is NOT Politically Correct and PROUD of it!! SO THERE!!!:tongue: :tongue:

LE Dad
08-06-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm not a religious expert by any means. What I was trying to say is I think a moment of silence should be enough to make people happy.. If not, then you're trying to force your religion on everybody in attendance, purposely or not.. I agree... I can't believe I just said that, but oh well, I use a moment of silence to say my prayer and that is good for me. I do not believe in forcing my religion on anyone, just as I won't debate my religion with anyone. I have my faith and that is enough for me. Prayer is something that should be done in solitude and on your knees, worship should be vocal and done in groups. You bow to pray, you rise up to worship... JMHO

Farmersfan
08-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Well....I feel like the "F" word is being crammed down my throat in every Wal-Mart, fast food restaurant, etc. I go!

Those people don't care, so why should I care if my praying to the God I believe in offends someone else....I DON'T!!!

Ranger Mom is NOT Politically Correct and PROUD of it!! SO THERE!!!:tongue: :tongue:

Do you mean to tell us that Walmart gets on the intercom and forces everyone in the store to stop what they are doing and be quiet so they can use the "F" word??????????? The nerve of those guys!!!! :D :doh:

Bullaholic
08-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Again. someone is going to have to explain to me in a meaningful way how praying for the well-being of kids and all involved at an athletic contest hurts anyone in any significant way. I agree with RM---the PC syndrome has run completely amuck in this country.

Farmersfan
08-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
I agree... I can't believe I just said that, but oh well, I use a moment of silence to say my prayer and that is good for me. I do not believe in forcing my religion on anyone, just as I won't debate my religion with anyone. I have my faith and that is enough for me. Prayer is something that should be done in solitude and on your knees, worship should be vocal and done in groups. You bow to pray, you rise up to worship... JMHO

I don't think anyone in the country would have a issue with this kind of thinking LE Dad! Practice your desires without infringing on others. I agree 100%.

Ranger Mom
08-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Do you mean to tell us that Walmart gets on the intercom and forces everyone in the store to stop what they are doing and be quiet so they can use the "F" word??????????? The nerve of those guys!!!! :D :doh:

I have yet to be at a football game where ANYONE was FORCED to stop what they were doing and be quiet.

On the other hand, I have been to plenty of football games where a prayer was being said and some people listened and others kept on doing what they were doing.

They ONLY time I have ever heard total silence during "the moment of silence" was before the game we played against Monahans 4 days after 9/11.

Ranger Mom
08-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I don't think anyone in the country would have a issue with this kind of thinking LE Dad! Practice your desires without infringing on others. I agree 100%.

:iagree:

DDBooger
08-06-2010, 10:58 AM
I have been to one game when a woman asked me to bow my head and I told her I'm an atheist....lol she gave me a terrified look, but didn't say anything else. It was harmless, but it kind of irked me. I think she was an extrovert type, like the Jehovah witness lady who doesn't take no for an answer at my door who keeps pointing at the bible and saying "there is your proof". :rolleyes: lol

Ranger Mom
08-06-2010, 11:14 AM
I have been to one game when a woman asked me to bow my head and I told her I'm an atheist....lol she gave me a terrified look, but didn't say anything else. It was harmless, but it kind of irked m:rolleyes: lol

That made me laugh!!

I have 2 stepsons...2 years apart in age.

The oldest is a self proclaimed atheist and the youngest is a youth minister!!

It makes for some interesting family gatherings at times!!:p

ziggy29
08-06-2010, 11:28 AM
This is what a "moment of silence" is for. You can use it for anything, pray to whatever deity you want or even use it to ponder secular humanism.

I don't like the idea of a public entity promoting a particular religion, but I also don't want that entity to be outright hostile to regional religious sentiments.

ziggy29
08-06-2010, 11:29 AM
I have been to one game when a woman asked me to bow my head and I told her I'm an atheist....lol she gave me a terrified look, but didn't say anything else. It was harmless, but it kind of irked me.
Imagine what it would have been like had you said you were gay.... :)

MN95
08-06-2010, 11:50 AM

At the risk of opening a large can of worms......anyone who does not know that our country was founded as a Christian country, just hasn't studied the issue very much. And "freedom of religion" and "separation of church and state" are also frequently misinterpreted. Do a google and read a little and anyone can see that the phrase "separation of church and state" is not found in our constitution and was actually meant to protect church's from the government, not to remove religion from the government.

With that all being said, our country is one in which we are all free to make our choices. I do not advocate "jamming religion down anyone's throat". If people do not choose to believe in God, it's their business. But I think those vocal people, over the years, have gradually turned our country away from what our founding fathers ever imagined our country would become:

http://www.allabouthistory.org/separation-of-church-and-state.htm

So, yes, I believe we should have prayers before games. If you choose not to partake, so be it.

DDBooger
08-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by MN95
At the risk of opening a large can of worms......anyone who does not know that our country was founded as a Christian country, just hasn't studied the issue very much. And "freedom of religion" and "separation of church and state" are also frequently misinterpreted. Do a google and read a little and anyone can see that the phrase "separation of church and state" is not found in our constitution and was actually meant to protect church's from the government, not to remove religion from the government.

With that all being said, our country is one in which we are all free to make our choices. I do not advocate "jamming religion down anyone's throat". If people do not choose to believe in God, it's their business. But I think those vocal people, over the years, have gradually turned our country away from what our founding fathers ever imagined our country would become:

http://www.allabouthistory.org/separation-of-church-and-state.htm

So, yes, I believe we should have prayers before games. If you choose not to partake, so be it.
TJ wasn't too fond of the bible, seeing as he wrote his own, eliminating all the "hocus pocus." Many others participated in pagan rituals (masons), and a lot were just plain deists. I'm glad I live in a country where religious idealists don't use their perceived line to god as an instruction manual to impose on me and this country some religious grand plan. Though, they're trying. To each their own.

ziggy29
08-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by MN95
There is abundant written evidence that several of the founders, Jefferson included, believed in a "Creator" who gave us certain basic human rights. You see references to the "Creator" frequently, but very few specific references to God or to Jesus. I think this leads to the speculation that they were largely deists.

garciap77
08-06-2010, 12:15 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

garciap77
08-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Imagine what it would have been like had you said you were gay.... :)

:eek:

Ranger Mom
08-06-2010, 03:41 PM
I had to go looking for this....I have read where it was written by Paul Harvey or Andy Rooney....but found where it was actually written by Nick Gholson, a sports writer for the Time Recorder News in Wichita Falls!!!

Whoever wrote it.....I STILL like!!!

I don't believe in Santa Claus, but I'm not going to sue somebody for singing a Ho-Ho-Ho song in December. I don't agree with Darwin, but I didn't go out and hire a lawyer when my high school teacher taught his theory of evolution. Life, liberty or your pursuit of happiness will not be endangered because someone says a 30-second prayer before a football game.

So what's the big deal? It's not like somebody is up there reading the entire book of Acts. They're just talking to a God they believe in and asking him to grant safety to the players on the field and the fans going home from the game. "But it's a Christian prayer," some will argue. Yes, and this is the United States of America, a country founded on Christian principles According to our very own phone book, Christian churches outnumber all others better than 200-to-1.

So what would you expect — somebody chanting Hare Krishna? If I went to a football game in Jerusalem, I would expect to hear a Jewish prayer. If I went to a soccer game in Baghdad, I would expect to hear a Muslim prayer. If I went to a ping pong match in China, I would expect to hear someone pray to Buddha. And I wouldn't be offended. It wouldn't bother me one bit. When in Rome ...

"But what about the atheists?" is another argument. What about them? Nobody is asking them to be baptized. We're not going to pass the collection plate. Just humor us for 30 seconds. If that's asking too much, bring a Walkman or a pair of ear plugs. Go to the bathroom. Visit the concession stand. Call your lawyer! Unfortunately, one or two will make that call.

One or two will tell thousands what they can and cannot do. I don't think a short prayer at a football game is going to shake the world's foundations. Christians are just sick and tired of turning the other cheek while our courts strip us of all our rights. Our parents and grandparents taught us to pray before eating; to pray before we go to sleep.

Our Bible tells us to pray without ceasing. Now a handful of people and their lawyers are telling us to cease praying. God, help us. And if that last sentence offends you, well ... just sue me.

The silent majority has been silent too long. It's time we let that one or two who scream loud enough to be heard ... that the vast majority don't care what they want. It is time the majority rules! It's time we tell them, you don't have to pray; you don't have to say the pledge of allegiance; you don't have to believe in God or attend services that honor Him. That is your right, and we will honor your right. But by golly, you are no longer going to take our rights away. We are fighting back ... and we WILL WIN!

God bless us one and all ... especially those who denounce Him. God bless America, despite all her faults. She is still the greatest nation of all. God bless our service men who are fighting to protect our right to pray and worship God.

DDBooger
08-06-2010, 03:48 PM
I had to go looking for this....I have read where it was written by Paul Harvey or Andy Rooney....but found where it was actually written by Nick Gholson, a sports writer for the Time Recorder News in Wichita Falls!!!

I don't believe in Santa Claus, but I'm not going to sue somebody for singing a Ho-Ho-Ho song in December. I don't agree with Darwin, but I didn't go out and hire a lawyer when my high school teacher taught his theory of evolution. Life, liberty or your pursuit of happiness will not be endangered because someone says a 30-second prayer before a football game.

So what's the big deal? It's not like somebody is up there reading the entire book of Acts. They're just talking to a God they believe in and asking him to grant safety to the players on the field and the fans going home from the game. "But it's a Christian prayer," some will argue. Yes, and this is the United States of America, a country founded on Christian principles According to our very own phone book, Christian churches outnumber all others better than 200-to-1.

So what would you expect — somebody chanting Hare Krishna? If I went to a football game in Jerusalem, I would expect to hear a Jewish prayer. If I went to a soccer game in Baghdad, I would expect to hear a Muslim prayer. If I went to a ping pong match in China, I would expect to hear someone pray to Buddha. And I wouldn't be offended. It wouldn't bother me one bit. When in Rome ...

"But what about the atheists?" is another argument. What about them? Nobody is asking them to be baptized. We're not going to pass the collection plate. Just humor us for 30 seconds. If that's asking too much, bring a Walkman or a pair of ear plugs. Go to the bathroom. Visit the concession stand. Call your lawyer! Unfortunately, one or two will make that call.

One or two will tell thousands what they can and cannot do. I don't think a short prayer at a football game is going to shake the world's foundations. Christians are just sick and tired of turning the other cheek while our courts strip us of all our rights. Our parents and grandparents taught us to pray before eating; to pray before we go to sleep.

Our Bible tells us to pray without ceasing. Now a handful of people and their lawyers are telling us to cease praying. God, help us. And if that last sentence offends you, well ... just sue me.

The silent majority has been silent too long. It's time we let that one or two who scream loud enough to be heard ... that the vast majority don't care what they want. It is time the majority rules! It's time we tell them, you don't have to pray; you don't have to say the pledge of allegiance; you don't have to believe in God or attend services that honor Him. That is your right, and we will honor your right. But by golly, you are no longer going to take our rights away. We are fighting back ... and we WILL WIN!

God bless us one and all ... especially those who denounce Him. God bless America, despite all her faults. She is still the greatest nation of all. God bless our service men who are fighting to protect our right to pray and worship God.
Seeing as the fastest growing minority is Athiests and this is a Republic, not a democracy (where majority rule) I find it weird he believes that and so pridefully worships this country. Even more startling and humorous is he thinks they're silent! :D

I'm not into PC either, but when someone asks me if I've found my lord and savior I don't tell them to #$#$ off.

Ranger Mom
08-06-2010, 03:53 PM

I'm not into PC either, but when someone asks me if I've found my lord and savior I don't tell them to #$#$ off.

I guess I missed something somewhere:eek: ...I'm glad you have more respect than that, or I am assuming it's out of respect!!

Pick6
08-06-2010, 03:58 PM

I love it!!!

DDBooger
08-06-2010, 03:59 PM
I guess I missed something somewhere:eek: ...I'm glad you have more respect than that, or I am assuming it's out of respect!! No, just not being reactionary, as that post is doing. Inciting fervor in the name of a religion is quite a humorous irony.

Ranger Mom
08-06-2010, 04:21 PM
No, just not being reactionary, as that post is doing. Inciting fervor in the name of a religion is quite a humorous irony.

It didn't "incite fervor" in me....I simply liked it's message!!

Are you kinda "high strung??" Just wondering!!

DDBooger
08-06-2010, 04:25 PM
It didn't "incite fervor" in me....I simply liked it's message!!

Are you kinda "high strung??" Just wondering!!

Do I appear it? Cause this certainly fits that mode...

JJWalker
08-06-2010, 05:09 PM
It's fine as long as you do it on a prayer mat facing east towards Mecca.

Ranger Mom
08-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Do I appear it? Cause this certainly fits that mode...

How could it "fit that mode" when what you quoted wasn't even in reference to what the sportswriter wrote about??

Good job on the spin though!!:p

DDBooger
08-06-2010, 07:18 PM
How could it "fit that mode" when what you quoted wasn't even in reference to what the sportswriter wrote about??

Good job on the spin though!!:p I was responding to your question on being "high strung" not the article. ;)

MN95
08-07-2010, 10:00 AM

Perfect! If I knew this existed, I would have just copied it and posted it earlier. It's sort of what I was trying to say, I just lacked the talent of this writer. Thanks RM.

MN95
08-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
I love it!!!

Pick 6, this may be the first time you and I have agreed on something. Maybe it's the start of a lifelong friendship?

And if your scripture reference in your signature applies to a certain POTUS, then I may even buy you lunch someday.