Buckeye1980
08-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Crane-Cuban bid is highest , $25 million over previous bid, the auction is on

Farmersfan
08-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
Crane-Cuban bid is highest , $25 million over previous bid, the auction is on

On the Rangers????

I hate what Cuban brings personally but I like what he brings as a owner. The Rangers would benefit having him as their owner.

Buckeye1980
08-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Yes on the Rangers, I DO NOT WANT CUBAN TO RUIN THE RANGERS!

crzyjournalist03
08-04-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm kind of surprised it's that much higher. I have a sinking feeling that Ryan/Greenberg may have to walk away.

Old Tiger
08-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Yes on the Rangers, I DO NOT WANT CUBAN TO RUIN THE RANGERS! He would only make them better because he likes to spend money on players.

Keith7
08-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Bad news for the Rangers.. It would take Cuban 6 to 9 months to get approved (if he even gets approved in the first place) meaning the Rangers would not be players for free agents in the offseason.. And we lose Ryan and potentially Jon Daniels.

If Ryan/Greenberg were to win they would be approved as soon as two weeks from now and we could be players in waiver trades and free agents..

Cuban is a tool. I wish he would have stayed out of this.

waterboy
08-04-2010, 03:22 PM
I don't mind if Cuban wins the bid IF he can keep Ryan and Jon Daniels on board. I like they way the team is being run. They are on the right course for future success. However, it would be nice to see an owner that has deep pockets to be able to go out and get players to fill any holes there may be. The only thing is....the owner would have to step back and let the real baseball people run the team.......which is something I'm not sure Cuban could do. I would definitely prefer to see the Greenburg/Ryan group get the bid, and so would the league.

Gobbla2001
08-04-2010, 03:26 PM
There should be a US embargo on people with the last name Cuban...

JJWalker
08-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Ruin the Rangers? LOL

Keith7
08-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by JJWalker
Ruin the Rangers? LOL

Yea you know that first place team in the American League West with a top 5 farm system??

Those Rangers

Pick6
08-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Bad news for the Rangers.. It would take Cuban 6 to 9 months to get approved (if he even gets approved in the first place) meaning the Rangers would not be players for free agents in the offseason.. And we lose Ryan and potentially Jon Daniels.

If Ryan/Greenberg were to win they would be approved as soon as two weeks from now and we could be players in waiver trades and free agents..

I agree. Ryan already said he wouldn't work with Jim Crane. Ryan will leave and Daniels has an opt-out clause in his contract, he'll leave also.

eagles_victory
08-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Yea you know that first place team in the American League West with a top 5 farm system??

Those Rangers Ill take a chance on any owner who turned around one of the worst franchises in North American history to a consistent contender.

JJWalker
08-04-2010, 03:35 PM

Those Rangers

Forgive me for having confidence in the Rangers ... but if any team could blow an eight game lead ... I calculate it could be the Rangers. They can do it! Go Rangers!

Keith7
08-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Forgive me for having confidence in the Rangers ... but if any team could blow an eight game lead ... I calculate it could be the Rangers. They can do it! Go Rangers!

This post doesn't even make sense

JJWalker
08-04-2010, 03:42 PM
This post doesn't even make sense
Let me make it simple for you ...

The Rangers are perennial losers!

Keith7
08-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Let me make it simple for you ...

The Rangers are perennial losers!

So were the Saints :eek: :eek:

Pick6
08-04-2010, 03:46 PM
So were the Saints :eek: :eek:

I think JJWalker just got owned by Keith

Gobbla2001
08-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Just an Astros fan's opinion, but I would want Ryan staying part of the equation... But do I think Cuban would ruin the Rangers? I'd say "no" just to have an answer, but it is possible... Basketball is just a completely different business than baseball and I don't know if the "year after year contender" ownership would transfer... Maybe, maybe not...

I think the Rangers are gunna be in the contention business for a while now and after all of those years of mostly sub-par ball I bet fans don't want anything to change now... But things do have to change in this situation, and it'd make it at least a little better with some remaining pieces in suits (Ryan)...

So IMO: Ryan's group > Cuban for the Rangas..

I will say I've always had a little soft spot in my fan-heart for the Rangers, but if Cuban gets 'em it'd quickly go... Not because I'm a hater, but as a Spurs fan it would be damn near impossible to actually like them..

sahen
08-04-2010, 04:09 PM
so if Cuban buys the Rangers does that mean the Astros can take back Nolan and keep the Express (AAA team)? if thats the case im all for Cuban buying the Rangers

Keith7
08-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by sahen
so if Cuban buys the Rangers does that mean the Astros can take back Nolan and keep the Express?

sadly yes

sahen
08-04-2010, 04:11 PM
sadly yes

thats a sweet deal for my Astros...we'll see what happens though, im thinking Nolan and friends really want the Rangers so they may fight for them if their pockets are deep enough...

Gobbla2001
08-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by sahen
so if Cuban buys the Rangers does that mean the Astros can take back Nolan and keep the Express (AAA team)? if thats the case im all for Cuban buying the Rangers

Oh hell yes, go out and get ya some, Cuban! I mean Mark! ;)

crzyjournalist03
08-04-2010, 04:20 PM
If Mark Cuban ends up with the team, there will be only one thing he could do to gain my support:

Sign Cliff Lee.

Txbroadcaster
08-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I dont think it is a given Ryan would leave if Cuban owns them..might take more money, but I dont think it is a given Ryan is gone

coach
08-04-2010, 05:00 PM

pot calling kettle black

SintonFan_inAustin
08-04-2010, 05:11 PM
4:30: Anthony Andro reports that Judge Nelms says we're going work through the night to make bid happen. Judge Nelms says bid was in hand before 8 last night, just a question about whether it was correct bid. Greenberg-Ryan group just got markup of the document. It could take an hour or more.

4:15: Anthony Andro reports that Greenberg said a legit bid was never submitted by Cuban's team and they still haven't seen the Cuban bid. Chuck Greenberg says they will appeal.

3:33: Tim Cowlishaw and Daniel Kaplan report lawyers are dropping f-bombs on each other in the hallway. Now, this I'm sorry I missed.

2:51: According to Maury Brown, Cuban-Crane bid comes in $25 million above bid from Ryan-Greenberg. Ball now in Ryan-Greenberg's court.

2:39: Anthony Andro reports that 2:45 is the latest estimate.

2:28: Again, from Andro: Jim Crane is back in court now too, still no Greenberg or Ryan in the room.

2:24: From Anthony Andro: Mark Cuban is back in the courtroom

Keith7
08-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Cuban just wants the Rangers so he can own the TV rights of the team.. He doesn't care about the team or how they do.. BOO Cuban

Keith7
08-04-2010, 05:51 PM
After waiting nearly 2 hours for Ryan/Greenberg's response to Cuban/Crane's high bid, Ryan/Greenberg respond by topping Cuban/Crane by 2 million dollars.

Cuban/Crane immediately responds by topping Ryan/Greenberg's bid by 15 million dollars..

another break in the action

bwdlionfan
08-04-2010, 06:21 PM
After waiting nearly 2 hours for Ryan/Greenberg's response to Cuban/Crane's high bid, Ryan/Greenberg respond by topping Cuban/Crane by 2 million dollars.

Cuban/Crane immediately responds by topping Ryan/Greenberg's bid by 15 million dollars..

I already can't stand the mavs... and a lot of that is from Cuban (plus I've always been a huge Spurs fan)... but now Cuban is going to try to make me in to an Astros fan.

injuredinmelee
08-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Yes on the Rangers, I DO NOT WANT CUBAN TO RUIN THE RANGERS! Ruin the Rangers? This is the first time in like an eternity that the Rangers were competitive after the all star break. He has the Mavericks as division front runners all the time how bad could he possibly do?

Emerson1
08-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Ruin the Rangers? This is the first time in like an eternity that the Rangers were competitive after the all star break. He has the Mavericks as division front runners all the time how bad could he possibly do?
There is clearly an age line when it comes to who wants who to own the team.

Today has shown how Ryan and Greenberg couldn't handle the team. They are struggling to add $2 million more to the table. What is gonna happen when the Yankees outbid them for Cliff Lee by 5 million a year?

Gobbla2001
08-04-2010, 06:52 PM
I just think the "successful basketball franchise" point might not mean much.. Owning a baseball team seems to be a helluva lot different to me... #1 you have 700 rounds in the draft.. #2 you have 1mil minor league players.. #3 you have 100 pitchers on the squad..

Yes I'm being awful hyperbolic here, but its just so much more on the plate than what basketball normally feeds you.. Plus is he the "style" of owner to let his suits make the right decisions and not second guess them 70% of the time?

Just too hard to tell and I think the best bet would be the Ryan group...

I'm tore up as an Astros ans Spurs fan here.. If he gets the team it opens things up for Ryan's involvment with the 'Stros.. Plus... If he doesn't get it, and the 'Stros end up being sold here in the near future (possibility), Cuban might take a shot with them.. And I think it'd make me sick having Mark Cuban as my team's owner...

DDBooger
08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Maybe Ryan will buy the Astros from Drayton.

Keith7
08-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Maybe Ryan will buy the Astros from Drayton.

Just think how cool the Silver Boot Series would be then

LE Dad
08-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Cuban just wants the Rangers so he can own the TV rights of the team.. He doesn't care about the team or how they do.. BOO Cuban I am sure he told you that... Right?? I am just a casual baseball fan at best and I really don't care about who owns what, but Cuban has certainly built up the Mavericks and I would think he could and would do the same with the Rangers. If anything I think he tries to hard.

Gobbla2001
08-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Today has shown how Ryan and Greenberg couldn't handle the team. They are struggling to add $2 million more to the table. What is gonna happen when the Yankees outbid them for Cliff Lee by 5 million a year?

That isn't all of the money they have, lol... these guys probably already have Lee in mind.. I'm sure they're wanting to keep some for that...

Fail on that assessment, massively...

Old Tiger
08-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I just think the "successful basketball franchise" point might not mean much.. Owning a baseball team seems to be a helluva lot different to me... #1 you have 700 rounds in the draft.. #2 you have 1mil minor league players.. #3 you have 100 pitchers on the squad..

Yes I'm being awful hyperbolic here, but its just so much more on the plate than what basketball normally feeds you.. Plus is he the "style" of owner to let his suits make the right decisions and not second guess them 70% of the time?

Just too hard to tell and I think the best bet would be the Ryan group...

I'm tore up as an Astros ans Spurs fan here.. If he gets the team it opens things up for Ryan's involvment with the 'Stros.. Plus... If he doesn't get it, and the 'Stros end up being sold here in the near future (possibility), Cuban might take a shot with them.. And I think it'd make me sick having Mark Cuban as my team's owner... IMO its easier to own a baseball team than it is a basketball team due to the salary cap.

bwdlionfan
08-04-2010, 07:05 PM
That isn't all of the money they have, lol... these guys probably already have Lee in mind.. I'm sure they're wanting to keep some for that...

does anyone know how much greenberg is worth?

cuban is listed at 2.6 billion on forbes

Gobbla2001
How many successful basketball team owners also own successful basketball teams? Visa versa?

Curious, I do not know...

Keith7
Originally posted by Old Tiger
IMO its easier to own a baseball team than it is a basketball team due to the salary cap.

There's no salary cap but it is still a business.. The Yankees can spend so much money because they make so much.. The Rangers would go bankrupt 10000 times over if they ever considered spending like the Yankees..

As for Ryan / Greenberg not being able to sign Cliff Lee, Cuban / Crane likely won't have a chance either because MLB won't approve them in time.. In fact theres a chance they won't approve them at all

Emerson1
08-04-2010, 07:06 PM

So they are having to save money in order to focus on signing 1 big player?

Epic fail

Nice try.

BullsFan
08-04-2010, 07:07 PM
My heart says Ryan. He knows the sport, knows the team, and by all estimations is a stand-up guy. Baseball teams don't operate the same way basketball teams do, and Cuban could definitely be too hands-on.

My head reminds me that Cuban has INCREDIBLY deep pockets, and he's shown in the past that he doesn't mind opening them deeply to make his teams successful. So at this point I'm going to sit back and wait and see what happens. (And pray that the two groups merge somehow and that Ryan and Cuban end up in an ownership group through some twist of fate...)

ETA: I also think any would be proud to have Nolan as the head of the organization. The Rangers have already got a bit of a black eye in terms of publicity because of the bankruptcy, the auction, etc. I'm not sure having Cuban on board helps with the rep.

Gobbla2001
08-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Hmm, the cap in basketball has made it a lot easier for the clippers, the warriors and the bobcats, eh?

The cap makes it more fair maybe, but easier?

I'd argue it's easier in basketball because you get one Dirk-like player and you're set, or to be fair one Timmy D and you have most of your team there...

SintonFan_inAustin
08-04-2010, 07:10 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0410/pg2_a_ryan_600.jpg Cuban may replace Ventura if he dont back off

Gobbla2001
08-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
So they are having to save money in order to focus on signing 1 big player?

Epic fail

Nice try.

Epic fail? Not at all...

Did Cuban up the ante 50 mil or something?

You try to spend the least ammount of dough as possible... It's how every rich person gets rich and stays rich: spending wisely.... Why spend 10 mil when you can maybe only spend 2?

jambo67
08-04-2010, 08:16 PM
If Mark Cuban gets the reins of the Rangers a winning season won't be good enough anymore. The Rangers will be held to the same standard as the Cowboys and the only expectation to any season will be lots of play-off wins. In a few years the Metroplex population will be about 13 million, Cuban's TV deals already in place will be ripe for a gravy contract. With George Steinbrenner's death Cuban would be the new face of baseblall ownership. Northeasterners are hating life if that comes about.

JJWalker
08-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I think JJWalker just got owned by Keith
When the Ranger's are not perennial losers ... then I have been owned.

As of right now ... Keith is just ... living on a prayer.

SintonFan
08-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Mark Cuban < Mark Cuban's ego
Ehhh...:(

Keith7
08-05-2010, 12:44 AM
Crane/Cuban concede Ryan / Greenberg get the Rangers

bwdlionfan
08-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Crane/Cuban concede Ryan / Greenberg get the Rangers

Thank goodness!

I was watching the live blog updates on KTVT, WFAA, and Dallasnews.... I thought this was going to go way later in to the night.

Anyone know what Chuck Greenberg's networth is?

Farmersfan
08-05-2010, 08:03 AM
I think this turned out for the best! But I honestly think even if Cuban had gotten the team he would have kept Ryan on to run the team. Cuban is a social clown but he is also very business savy and he understands that he doesn't know much about baseball. He would have hired someone to run the team until he got up to date on the business end of MLB. I suggest it would have been Ryan.

crzyjournalist03
08-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Greenberg's quote afterwards:

"We paid a lot of money, but we're still going to go after Cliff Lee."