PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Stars in the news

Farmersfan
08-03-2010, 10:38 AM
It appears that Marty Turco has signed with the Blackhawks. I don't understand why Dallas let him go but I also have not been real fond of Turco and his inconsistency the last couple of years.
It also appears that Mike Modano will sign to play at least one season with the hated Red Wings. I think Modano should have retired several years ago but it hurts a Stars fan to see the face of the franchise playing in Detroit. That is almost like watching Emmitt play in Arizona............
Any comments?

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/08/03/mike-modano-reportedly-to-sign-with-red-wings/

crzyjournalist03
08-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Good for both of them. I sincerely hope that their two teams meet up in the Western Conference Finals and that one of them goes on to win the Stanley Cup.

Both have been classy players for the Stars for years and deserved a lot more than they got over the last couple of years here. Both are signing for very low salaries that the Stars could have easily afforded, and both are better than some of the players that will be on the Stars roster this year.

Bullaholic
08-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Since pro sports became nothing but big business several years ago, the days of owner and player loyalty, the buliding of "dynasties", team comeraderie, and old-time fan fervor plus imitmate player familiarity have gone away. Sad day for pro sports fans--- young and old.

crzyjournalist03
08-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Since pro sports became nothing but big business several years ago, the days of owner and player loyalty, the buliding of "dynasties", team comeraderie, and old-time fan fervor plus imitmate player familiarity have gone away. Sad day for pro sports fans--- young and old.

If I felt these moves were about business, it would be one thing...but considering how much trouble the Stars are having selling tickets right now, I can assure you that Mike Modano would actually be profitable for him at the salary he's taking. These moves are about Joe Nieuwendyk trying to implement "his" team with "his" players. I've disagreed with most of the moves he's made since he took over, and I feel more and more that it has more to do with ego of it being "his" team rather than considering what the fans want or what would actually be the better business move for the team.

Farmersfan
08-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
If I felt these moves were about business, it would be one thing...but considering how much trouble the Stars are having selling tickets right now, I can assure you that Mike Modano would actually be profitable for him at the salary he's taking. These moves are about Joe Nieuwendyk trying to implement "his" team with "his" players. I've disagreed with most of the moves he's made since he took over, and I feel more and more that it has more to do with ego of it being "his" team rather than considering what the fans want or what would actually be the better business move for the team.

I think you are right! Nieuwendyk has not proven anything to me so far!

eagles_victory
08-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Since pro sports became nothing but big business several years ago, the days of owner and player loyalty, the buliding of "dynasties", team comeraderie, and old-time fan fervor plus imitmate player familiarity have gone away. Sad day for pro sports fans--- young and old. Thats a rather generic opinion. I happen to strongly disagree with.

Bullaholic
08-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Thats a rather generic opinion. I happen to strongly disagree with.

Generic, or not---it's mine, EV---and your exception is duly noted. We might agree in 20 years or so....:D