PDA

View Full Version : Traylor foresees tough district, rebuilding year for Buckeyes

Buckeye1980
08-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Courtesy of Gilmer Mirror

Coach Jeff Traylor described a rebuilding year for the Gilmer Buckeyes when he spoke to the Gilmer Rotary Club Tuesday about the 2010 football season.

The Buckeyes, who won state 3A championships in 2004 and 2009, have a winning tradition. This year they face a tough new district lineup, the coach reported.

Region II, District 16-3A is made up of six teams, four of which are ranked in the top 15 statewide: Carthage, Pittsburg, Gilmer and Henderson. It won’t be possible for all four to make it to the state playoffs, Traylor pointed out.

The schedule will be “a killer,” said Traylor, who also is Gilmer High athletic director.

The team has two August scrimmages scheduled and the season opens Aug. 26 when the Buckeyes travel to Tyler to play Atlanta at Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium.

Following will be home games against Tatum on Sept. 3, Jacksonville on Sept. 10, and Liberty-Eylau on Sept. 17.

Then on Sept. 24 the Buckeyes travel to Daingerfield to play the top-ranked team and 2-time defending Class 2A champion.

District play opens on Oct. 8 when Gladewater comes here, followed by a game Oct. 15 at Carthage, the 2-time defending Class 3A Division II champ; Oct. 22, Spring Hill, here; Oct. 29, at Henderson; and Nov. 5, Pittsburg, here.

In winning the Class 3A Division 1 state championship last season, the Buckeyes racked up a perfect 15-0 record.

Coach Traylor said that of 10 graduating senior players interested in continuing as college players, only four have received football scholarships. He said athletics has made college more affordable for youngsters who take advantage of the opportunity to leave home and do well.

Virtually “every college in the country” sends scouts to watch the Buckeyes each year, Traylor said.

Now about to start his 11th season as head coach, Traylor said the UIL policy to realign districts every two years has brought major changes.

When he started, Gilmer High had 625 students and the top limit was 700, making GHS one of the largest 3A schools. Now the top number is 990, and Gilmer is one of the smaller schools.

This year, Henderson is moving down from 4A, he said, and should be strong. He said he has observed “a different mindset” in schools as big as Henderson which has, among other assets, a 300-member band.

Every year, the coaching staff invites the squad to adopt a motto for the season, Traylor said. This year’s motto will be “Gap Soldier.”

Having lost a whole team, the 2010 Buckeyes want to fill in the gaps that have been left, he said. The coaches present the squad with two character traits each week, and they get favorite video clips from war movies to promote a fighting spirit.

Coach Traylor said he enjoyed watching Stump Godfrey, the record-breaking 3-year starter at quarterback for the Buckeyes who will be playing for the University of New Mexico this fall, play for the South All-Stars in the recent Texas High School Coaches Assn. All-Star Game in San Antonio.

Asked about the former Buckeye star Manuel Johnson, now with the Dallas Cowboys, he said he talks to him about once a week and thinks he is “doing great.”

Read more: The Gilmer Mirror - Traylor foresees tough district rebuilding year for Buckeyes

waterboy
08-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Coach speak.......:D It could be tough, though, with the schedule we have. At least 6 of the teams we face could definitely beat us on any given night if we don't perform/play at our highest level. A couple of those teams could probably beat us straight up, but I wouldn't count on it. I think the defense will definitely have to perform at a higher level this year because of the inexperience on offense. I fully expect it to happen, too, because I think our defense will be better. I still think the offense will average around 40 PPG, even though it's a reloading year.

lostaussie
08-02-2010, 03:13 PM
We not gonna be very good:(

OldBison75
08-02-2010, 03:28 PM
I just bet that at the end of district play, Gilmer will be in the playoffs and on a roll again. They may lose a couple during the year, but when the cards are down, the Buckeyes will come up big and strong.

I think they are capable of at least a regional finals appearance.

LE Dad
08-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I just bet that at the end of district play, Gilmer will be in the playoffs and on a roll again. They may lose a couple during the year, but when the cards are down, the Buckeyes will come up big and strong.

I think they are capable of at least a regional finals appearance. :iagree: Week 11 Gilmer>week 1 Gilmer.:D

CHS_89
08-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Rebuilding year? Plz...Gilmer has always been good and will be there when it counts. They always find a way to reload.