PDA

View Full Version : Berkman traded to Yanks?!

Txbroadcaster
07-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Ken Rosenthal on twitter is saying Berkman has been traded to Yanks, announcment coming tomorrow

SHSBulldog00
07-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Wonder what Houston would get back?

Yoe_09
07-30-2010, 04:42 PM
not very much if they ate most of the salary.

Txbroadcaster
07-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
not very much if they ate most of the salary.

If I was trading with the Yanks or BoSox I would not eat one penny of salary

SintonFan_inAustin
07-30-2010, 04:44 PM
come on Rangers you still have time to steal him from the Yankees. Another wait til morning verbal deals these yanks like doing and expect it to hold up :)

Yoe_09
07-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
If I was trading with the Yanks or BoSox I would not eat one penny of salary

Yeah at this point he has been linked to going to New York and they are willing to take most more salary so i could see them getting a few AA prospects along with that or possibly a AAA.

Yoe_09
07-30-2010, 05:11 PM
The deal is done according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

Old Tiger
07-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Where would he play left field or center field? Would they move Tex from first to outfield?

Rabid Cougar
07-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
come on Rangers you still have time to steal him from the Yankees. Another wait til morning verbal deals these yanks like doing and expect it to hold up :)

Not going to happen. They needed a proven infielder. Cantu is the man for that.

Spread It Out
07-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Where would he play left field or center field? Would they move Tex from first to outfield?

DH I'm assuming.

SHSBulldog00
07-30-2010, 07:02 PM
reports are for two minor leaguers. names won't be released til saturday.

SHSBulldog00
07-30-2010, 09:42 PM
The Astros will pick up $4 million of the $7 million owed to Berkman this year and in his 2011 option, sources said.

The Yankees will send two prospects to the Astros: reliever Mark Melancon and infielder Jimmy Paredes.

Earlier Friday, Berkman vetoed a trade to the White Sox, USA Today reported.

When asked by ESPNChicago.com to comment on the report, Chicago general manager Kenny Williams said via e-mail: "I won't deny the truth. It is what it is."

Although sources said Berkman had waived his no-trade clause, the deal can't become official until 24 hours after he is approached with the trade, per baseball rules. And Berkman would not confirm that he had agreed to waive the clause.

The Yankees turned their attention to Berkman after their pursuit of Adam Dunn stalled.

"My ideal situation is to win a title here. If this organization feels those aims are better accomplished by trying to strip down this roster and reload with younger guys, I don't want to stand in the way of that," Berkman added.

At this stage of his career, Berkman is not at the same level as Dunn as a player. Berkman, 34, entered Friday with 13 homers, 49 RBIs and a .245 batting average.

Adding Berkman would be a further indication that the Yankees don't think Nick Johnson will return to top form from his wrist injury. Berkman would be a DH and pinch hitter for the Yankees.

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm really hoping the Yankees go get someone like Ted Lilly . It would help the Rangers chances ever so slightly that they'd be able to retain Cliff Lee in the offseason.