PDA

View Full Version : Rangers getting 2B Guzman from Nationals

Buckeye1980
07-30-2010, 03:36 PM
By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

07/30/10 4:14 PM ET

ANAHEIM -- The Rangers have acquired veteran infielder Cristian Guzman from the Washington Nationals on Thursday. Texas is giving up two Minor League pitching prospects in the deal. Sources say one is Double-A pitcher Ryan Tatusko.

Guzman, a two-time All-Star, gives the Rangers a front-line second baseman to fill in while Ian Kinsler is on the disabled list with a strained left groin muscle. Kinsler was placed on the disabled list Thursday and could be out until late August.

Guzman is an 11-year veteran and a switch-hitter who can play both shortstop and second base. In 89 games for the Nationals, he batted .282 with a .327 on-base percentage and a .361 slugging percentage.

Guzman was a longtime shortstop for both the Twins and the Nationals who switched to second base this season to make room for Ian Desmond. He has also played eight games in right field.

Guzman is the fourth veteran the Rangers have acquired in the past month. They have also traded for catcher Bengie Molina, pitcher Cliff Lee and infielder Jorge Cantu.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100730&content_id=12810122&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex

SintonFan_inAustin
07-30-2010, 04:32 PM
could Zack Grienke be next on the Rangers list :thinking:

Txbroadcaster
07-30-2010, 04:33 PM
hmm the title of this thread looks familiar :D :D

GreenMonster
07-30-2010, 07:09 PM
I do NOT like these last 2 trades. Don't start selling your soul (minor league pitching prowess) for middle of the road talent. Not only are these 2 guys not worth what you gave for them but they could screw with the awesome chemistry that the Rangers have been playing with all season. I understand that 1st base is a question mark, but at least give Moreland a decent chance. I think he's going to be one heck of a player, and this last trade is just foolish because Kinsler will be back pretty soon and Arias and your other infield sub have proven to be capable backups and would have been just fine platooning until Kinsler's return. The Rangers pitching will pull you through and keep you at the top of the West. These guys won't even be back next year and you have given away 4 minor league arms that might have grown up to be major players on YOUR team in the future. Now they are gone and you will have nothing to show for it after the season. Stick to your guns and continue to build from within. I'd much rather have a nice long multi-year run of success than give away your future for just 1 chance. Also, to whomever actually comes out the winner in the Rangers auction, PAY Josh Hamilton whatever he wants and do all you can to protect the core of this team.

Txbroadcaster
07-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I do NOT like these last 2 trades. Don't start selling your soul (minor league pitching prowess) for middle of the road talent. Not only are these 2 guys not worth what you gave for them but they could screw with the awesome chemistry that the Rangers have been playing with all season. I understand that 1st base is a question mark, but at least give Moreland a decent chance. I think he's going to be one heck of a player, and this last trade is just foolish because Kinsler will be back pretty soon and Arias and your other infield sub have proven to be capable backups and would have been just fine platooning until Kinsler's return. The Rangers pitching will pull you through and keep you at the top of the West. These guys won't even be back next year and you have given away 4 minor league arms that might have grown up to be major players on YOUR team in the future. Now they are gone and you will have nothing to show for it after the season. Stick to your guns and continue to build from within. I'd much rather have a nice long multi-year run of success than give away your future for just 1 chance. Also, to whomever actually comes out the winner in the Rangers auction, PAY Josh Hamilton whatever he wants and do all you can to protect the core of this team.

Texas gave up guys outside their top 30 this is a huge win IMO for Texas..gives them DEPTH and some RH pop off the bench which they have not had all year

GreenMonster
07-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Texas gave up guys outside their top 30 this is a huge win IMO for Texas..gives them DEPTH and some RH pop off the bench which they have not had all year I just don't like giving up 4 young prospects for 2 dudes to play for 3 months of one season. Dance with the one that brung ya don't ditch her at the ball.

slingshot
07-30-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm with TxBC on this one--good aquisition. Go Rangers!

Txbroadcaster
07-30-2010, 07:44 PM
I just don't like giving up 4 young prospects for 2 dudes to play for 3 months of one season. Dance with the one that brung ya don't ditch her at the ball.

who did they ditch? 1B and Catcher has been THE weakness for the Rangers all year..then Kinsler gets hurt and most are saying he will prob be out longer than 15.

Texas already had TERRIBLE depth in the infield Blanco and Arias are good for a game or two, but they are not going to be guys you want playing 20 days.

Moreland is unproven, this team has to have guys that have trule major league exp stepping in for the stretch.

This is why you build up your farm system, so when the need arises you can do trades that dont cripple your farm system in anyway

Also dont be surprised if they try to sign Cantu in the off season..there is a need at 1B and he is still young and has a proven track record.

I personally dont think this hurts chemistry at all, I think it helps it. This team knows now that the GM will go get what they need when they need it

GreenMonster
07-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by slingshot
I'm with TxBC on this one--good aquisition. Go Rangers! Well you guys both suck! You're both probably right though. But you still suck haha!

IrishTex
07-30-2010, 08:01 PM
ok

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1431385#post1431385

orange machine
07-30-2010, 08:09 PM
The Rangers will tie Hamilton up for the long term not worried about that. If the Rangers can keep the current starting pitching and retain most of the bullpen they will be good for years to come. Kinsler, Yound and Andrus will be around a long time as will Cruis.

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2010, 08:27 PM
I just don't like giving up 4 young prospects for 2 dudes to play for 3 months of one season. Dance with the one that brung ya don't ditch her at the ball.

At least three of the four, (possibly all four) would have been left off of the Rangers 40-man roster in the offseason and would have been eligible for the rule 5 draft. Part of the problem with having such a deep farm system is that you can't keep all the guys you develop. Rather than risk losing some of those guys for absolutely nothing in the offseason, they turned them into pieces that can potentially help the club this year.

Keith7
07-30-2010, 10:09 PM
great pick up for the Rangers