PDA

View Full Version : Best Chicken Fried Steak

hollywood
07-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Other than your momma, who has the best chicken fried steak money can buy, period?

My vote is Mary's Cafe.

I've eatin' a LOT of this high caloric, master piece of battered meat. My taste buds say Mary's has the BEST $ can buy. :clap:

waterboy
07-30-2010, 10:58 AM
My homemade is the best I've ever eaten anywhere.:p My family thinks so, too. Chicken fried steak, brown milk gravy that is not lumpy and just right, add some buttery fresh mashed potatoes, seasoned turnip greens, and fresh rolls or cornbread, and I'm in hog heaven! The way I fix mine the meat just falls apart and melts in your mouth. :mad: Geeessshhh........now I'm hungry.....and I'm on a diet!:doh:

Bullaholic
07-30-2010, 11:02 AM
35 years ago I used to enjoy the CFS from Andy's in Rockdale. You could never eat a whole one and an order of fries---it literally covered the whole plate.

LE Dad
07-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Locally
Dixie Diner- It's not premade, they marinade, tenderize, and batter them every morning
Chain
Cotton Patch- that sucker is huge!!

Chilis also has a good CFS, I was really surprised.

rholl
07-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Any Comanche folk on here??? What was the name of the place in Comanche that burned??? That place had a doozie of a CFS back in the day!!!!!

Ex-Tiger2005
07-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Cotton Patch is pretty dang amazing!

Looking4number8
07-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Anybody ever tried Big O's in Valera (on Hwy 67 between Santa Anna and Ballinger) His is great with home made gravy. Even Better you can get it "Big O style". It has a chicken fried steak, a layer of grilled onions and jalapeno's another chicken fried steak then covered with that gravy... thats good eating!

MUSTANG69
07-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Liberty Bell in Freer is pretty darn good.

hollywood
07-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
My homemade is the best I've ever eaten anywhere.:p My family thinks so, too. Chicken fried steak, brown milk gravy that is not lumpy and just right, add some buttery fresh mashed potatoes, seasoned turnip greens, and fresh rolls or cornbread, and I'm in hog heaven! The way I fix mine the meat just falls apart and melts in your mouth. :mad: Geeessshhh........now I'm hungry.....and I'm on a diet!:doh:

Man that's making me hungry. You sell that stuff?

hollywood
07-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Anybody ever tried Big O's in Valera (on Hwy 67 between Santa Anna and Ballinger) His is great with home made gravy. Even Better you can get it "Big O style". It has a chicken fried steak, a layer of grilled onions and jalapeno's another chicken fried steak then covered with that gravy... thats good eating!

:eek: My heart almost stopped just reading this.:D

Ex-Tiger2005
07-30-2010, 11:27 AM

Man that sounds amazing!

waterboy
07-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by hollywood
Man that's making me hungry. You sell that stuff?
For a price!:D I had a cousin years ago who owned a Claim Jumper Restaurant. Anybody remember their CFS?

garciap77
07-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Cotton Patch

DU_stud04
07-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by rholl
Any Comanche folk on here??? What was the name of the place in Comanche that burned??? That place had a doozie of a CFS back in the day!!!!! that wasnt komanche kountry kitchen spelt with 3 capital K's was it? always afraid to stop in comanche....

Buckeye1980
07-30-2010, 11:53 AM
everyone knows by now the "best" anything has to come from Brownwood:thinking:

pirate4state
07-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
that wasnt komanche kountry kitchen spelt with 3 capital K's was it? always afraid to stop in comanche.... haha

There was this weird place in Falfurrias, Andres that had a pretty damn good CFS. Did not have your typical country gravy, but the sauce they used was AMAZING!!! mmmmmmm

I'm hungry and having CFS for lunch, thanks to you guys! :D

hollywood
07-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
everyone knows by now the "best" anything has to come from Brownwood:thinking:

Yep, my dad makes the best chicken fry, but $ can't by that one.:D

ronwx5x
07-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Mel's Country Cookin', Tomball, TX! And I've eaten a lot of CFS's in my many years. Never tried Cotton Patch though.

shankbear
07-30-2010, 01:45 PM
The best EVER was at the old Cottonwood Inn in LaGrange. It was as big as a saddle blanket with the best artery clogging gravy on the planet.

SWMustang
07-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Mel's Country Cookin', Tomball, TX! And I've eaten a lot of CFS's in my many years. Never tried Cotton Patch though.

Have you been to goodson's in Tomball? I find it hard to believe Mel's is better. Maybe I'll have to embark on a fact finding mission.

hollywood
07-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x

Cotton Patch FAIL!!!

ronwx5x
07-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Have you been to goodson's in Tomball? I find it hard to believe Mel's is better. Maybe I'll have to embark on a fact finding mission.

I've been to both. Not much to distinguish one as better than the other, I just like Mel's because it is, ummm, let's just say unpretentious!

Charlie47
07-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Hanks Texas Grill, US 75 McKinney.
Also best Fried Pickles!;) :D

Bull Butter
07-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Best I've ever had was at the Grist Mill in Gruene

bigwood33
07-30-2010, 03:40 PM
In n particular order because they are all great:

Mary's- Strawn,
The Blue Bonnet- Marble Falls,
Love and War in Texas- Plano and Grapevine,
Babe's- Multiple Locations

hollywood
07-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
In n particular order because they are all great:

Mary's- Strawn,
The Blue Bonnet- Marble Falls,
Love and War in Texas- Plano and Grapevine,
Babe's- Multiple Locations

2 thumbs up on all 4!:clap:

zebrablue2
07-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Tony's in Sealy
Texas Star in New Ulm
JW Steakhouse in Carmine

Tony's is right off of I-10 in Sealy. Texas Star is off the beaten path between Columbus and Brenham, and JW Steakhouse is right off of 290 in the big city of Carmine...

BaseballUmp
07-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Alright everyone look up Milano on a map...stop by Bullocks

Back a few years ago you could go in at all times of the day

A chicken fried steak at 2:30 in the morning is the ish

Yoe_09
07-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp

A chicken fried steak at 2:30 in the morning is the ish

ahh yes that is definably one of the best....but the joint in Somerville has been my favorite for a while now.

turbostud
07-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Locally
Dixie Diner- It's not premade, they marinade, tenderize, and batter them every morning
Chain
Cotton Patch- that sucker is huge!!

Chilis also has a good CFS, I was really surprised.

That Chili's CFS is probably frozen.

mwrams
07-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Marys !!!Just southwest of Mineral Wells in Straw. Best in Texas

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2010, 05:27 PM
I like Mama's Daughters Diner a lot...they'd have to rank near the top for me.

The worst is probably KFC...tried it out a couple of weeks ago because I'm always seeing signs for their $1.99 Wednesday meal, but it was nasty.

Yoe_09
07-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I like Mama's Daughters Diner a lot...they'd have to rank near the top for me.

The worst is probably KFC...tried it out a couple of weeks ago because I'm always seeing signs for their $1.99 Wednesday meal, but it was nasty.

yeah that is pretty sick....Applebees also has a really fake one as well.

Rabid Cougar
07-30-2010, 05:41 PM

Been there, done that.... SEVERAL Times!

CenTexSports
07-30-2010, 07:02 PM
The Texan in Cameron (now deceased). On the buffet and all you could eat every day.

GreenMonster
07-30-2010, 07:20 PM
The Green Frog in Jacksboro. Last time I was there they had homemade CFS on the buffet. It was like dying and going to CFS heaven. Also, the Ponder Steakhouse in Ponder.

rancher
07-30-2010, 08:01 PM
My vote is also for Mels in Tomball, been to Goodson's not impressed. The best I have had hands down was the LONE STAR TAVERN just east of Waco on Hwy 84 outside of Bellmede, not sure it is still there. In the 70's best in Texas by several TV stations and magazines.

Spread It Out
07-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Texas Star Cafe is damn good

Old Dog
07-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Hey Bullaholic, do you recall the huge pile of onion rings and fries that Andy's would serve up with that CFS? I assume they are out of business by now OR NOT? We used to drive all the way from Austin just to eat at Andys on Saturday nights..........

STANG RED
07-31-2010, 01:02 AM
After reading this thread, I'm having a hankerin for some chicken fried venison backstrap. MMMmmmmmmmm

I've had lots of great ones at lots of places, hard to say who has the best. I do really like the one at Goodson's at Tomball. That big sucker needs a plate all to it's own.
Never had one at a restaurant though, that could even hold a candle to Mom's.

big daddy russ
07-31-2010, 03:59 AM
Mmmmm, Chicken Fried Steak.

I've always said that CFS is like seafood: when it's good, it's the best thing on the menu. When it's anything less, I'll pass altogether.

There's not a Red Lobster, Joe's Crab Shack, or Pappadeaux's that I'll waste my money on when I want seafood. Needless to say, I'm just as picky when it comes to CFS.

The best I've ever had came from one place that sold out and one that closed down. It makes me sad to know that you can't get them anymore.

Floyd's Ranch House-Ingleside (Houston Chronicle rated it the best CFS in Texas)
Brush Country Inn-Riviera

The one place that I can't understand the hype is the Country Inn in Somerville. I've always thought that they're average at best. Every time I've been there, it's fairly hard and overcooked. The meat's not very tender and the crust always comes out with a small bit of a burnt taste simply because of how long they leave it in the fryer. And I've been there no less than five times, so it seems like a pattern rather than a coincidence.

Also, not a big fan of Chilis' or any chain restaurant's except for Cracker Barrel.

George's in Waco is OK. Much better than the Country Inn, but still couldn't compete with a Brush Country Saddle Blanket from the Brush Country Inn.

I'll have to try Mel's. I only live a half hour away from Tomball. I love hearing suggestions like these.

Phantom Stang
07-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
The Green Frog in Jacksboro. Last time I was there they had homemade CFS on the buffet. It was like dying and going to CFS heaven. Also, the Ponder Steakhouse in Ponder.
Hmm, might have to make me a trip to Jacksboro.:thinking: I was at the steak house in Ponder just last week, and while the 16 ounce T-bone I had was hard to beat, the chicken fried strips I had as an appetizer made me wish I'd ordered CFS as the main course.

Still, my favorite overall is Mary's in Strawn.

Eagle1
07-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Heitmillers between Waco and West is hard to beat it takes a real man to eat that whole thing but it is good. If you are ever going thru Waco stop there you will be glad you did.

hollywood
07-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
That Chili's CFS is probably frozen.

As well is Cotton Patch's.;)

slingshot
07-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Perini's in Buffalo Gap... served outdoors on the chuckwagon buffet Sunday morning. Good stuff, Maynard :clap: .

jason
08-01-2010, 07:58 AM
mary's in strawn has the most over-rated chicken fried steak around - it's not terrible, but it ain't great...

all the hype says how good and how big it is, well its so 'big' because they give you 3 average sized ones so it's a lot of food - but it ain't big....

we drive up there about twice a year, but that's because it just isn't worth the drive....

BOP64
08-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Best CFS...Flossie's in Strawn....It's funny because it is right across the street from Mary's & no one notices it. Same CFS in breadth, girth & quality. 1/2 the waiting time. Best kept sectet by the locals so they can get in and out quickly.

DU_stud04
08-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by BOP64
Best CFS...Flossie's in Strawn....It's funny because it is right across the street from Mary's & no one notices it. Same CFS in breadth, girth & quality. 1/2 the waiting time. Best kept sectet by the locals so they can get in and out quickly. so....basically its not any better. :confused:

DU_stud04
08-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by jason
mary's in strawn has the most over-rated chicken fried steak around - it's not terrible, but it ain't great...

all the hype says how good and how big it is, well its so 'big' because they give you 3 average sized ones so it's a lot of food - but it ain't big....

we drive up there about twice a year, but that's because it just isn't worth the drive.... +1

Spread It Out
08-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Had the biggest damned CFS I've ever seen last night from a place in between Bellville and Sealy called Oathies (sp?). Mmm Mmm good.

Matthew328
08-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
that wasnt komanche kountry kitchen spelt with 3 capital K's was it? always afraid to stop in comanche....

I think that place is in Hico you are thinking of...

Old Tiger
08-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp

A chicken fried steak at 2:30 in the morning is the ish is all about the breakfast wrap they had

rancher
08-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Othies in Sealy has the biggest chicken fried steak I have ate. It is 1/2 of meat that is fresh cut and double dipped. Just like mama made. Has to be one of the best in Texas. It is located off the beaten path at the corner of 2187 and 1094. Great cold beer and live band. There motto fillup at Othies.

espn1
08-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Z TEJAS Austin/Round Rock served with a pan of Corn Bread.

tlc84
08-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Lulu's in San Antonio

DDBooger
08-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by tlc84
Lulu's in San Antonio +1 just had that yesterday.

LE Dad
08-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
That Chili's CFS is probably frozen. Yeah, I am pretty sure it is.

Phantom Stang
08-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by hollywood
As well is Cotton Patch's.;)
For all I know, the Cotton Patch's CFS might be frozen, but it sho' is good for a chain joint.:D

sinton66
08-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Mmmmm, Chicken Fried Steak.

I've always said that CFS is like seafood: when it's good, it's the best thing on the menu. When it's anything less, I'll pass altogether.

There's not a Red Lobster, Joe's Crab Shack, or Pappadeaux's that I'll waste my money on when I want seafood. Needless to say, I'm just as picky when it comes to CFS.

The best I've ever had came from one place that sold out and one that closed down. It makes me sad to know that you can't get them anymore.

Floyd's Ranch House-Ingleside (Houston Chronicle rated it the best CFS in Texas)
Brush Country Inn-Riviera

The one place that I can't understand the hype is the Country Inn in Somerville. I've always thought that they're average at best. Every time I've been there, it's fairly hard and overcooked. The meat's not very tender and the crust always comes out with a small bit of a burnt taste simply because of how long they leave it in the fryer. And I've been there no less than five times, so it seems like a pattern rather than a coincidence.

Also, not a big fan of Chilis' or any chain restaurant's except for Cracker Barrel.

George's in Waco is OK. Much better than the Country Inn, but still couldn't compete with a Brush Country Saddle Blanket from the Brush Country Inn.

I'll have to try Mel's. I only live a half hour away from Tomball. I love hearing suggestions like these.

Russ, if you live that close to Tomball, one of the best CFS I've ever had is at Goodson's Cafe in Tomball. Had one for lunch today. Pretty darn good.

spirate_9
08-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Back Street Cafe - Sinton
Sodolaks Beefmasters Restaurant - College Station
Gristmill - Gruene

ronwx5x
08-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Russ, if you live that close to Tomball, one of the best CFS I've ever had is at Goodson's Cafe in Tomball. Had one for lunch today. Pretty darn good.

You need to try Mel's Country Cookin' in Tomball. Huge and good, cooked while you wait. You could try Mel's Mega-Burger also, but it's is punishment as much as food!

duckhunter
08-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Sodalok's in college station.... Joes in fayetville is solid also

hollywood
08-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by mwrams
Marys !!!Just southwest of Mineral Wells in Straw. Best in Texas

Yep, it's confirmed. It's the BEST. Just had one of the LARGE chicken fries last Thursday. First time in over a year. My belly was happy for days. The large is basically 3 chicken fried steaks that over hang the platter with homemade gravy and hand cut fries. GOOD stuff. Easily can cut it with a fork. Mmm, mmm, mmm.

BaseballUmp
08-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Anything good near San Marcos? Besides the chain places like roadhouse and whatnot?

Gsquared
08-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Any Comanche folk on here??? What was the name of the place in Comanche that burned??? That place had a doozie of a CFS back in the day!!!!!
The place across the street from the hanging tree?

Blackcat1954
08-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Schobel's=Columbus
Tony's- Sealy
K2-Bay City
Western Steak House-Rosenberg
The Jay Cafe-Needville

SintonFan
08-18-2010, 01:07 PM
From pirate44 about six years ago:

heres a few pics of Lulu's Jailhouse eats. the CFS is really 2 pieces overlapping a few inches.
http://img157.exs.cx/img157/1939/food017nz.jpg
http://img157.exs.cx/img157/582/food029ko.jpg
http://img157.exs.cx/img157/4237/food030yk.jpg
The last pic is their huge and amazing cinnamon rolls.

I tried it because of his post and it really is one of the best in Texas.

Link to the first CFS thread. (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=24498&highlight=lulus+cafe)

big daddy russ
08-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I live in Bear Creek-off Hwy 6 and Clay. And I'll definitely have to try it.

lostaussie
08-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
The Green Frog in Jacksboro. Last time I was there they had homemade CFS on the buffet. Ding ding ding..........we have a winner. i was reading this just to see if anyone had the Green Frog on here. That's a damn fine chicken fry!!!

Mcguirk
08-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Well it wasn't 100% CFS, but the Jaegerschnitzel at Zentner's in Angelo was hard to beat. It was pan fried with brown gravy and came with a big ol order of German style potatoes.

BwdLions
08-19-2010, 09:55 AM

I'm not from Comanche, but you may be talking about Jordan's Steakhouse. It's been gone for years. It was just south of Brookshires. They had good food.