PDA

View Full Version : Oswalt traded to the Phillies today

OldBison75
07-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Roy Oswalt has approved the trade to the Phillies and the Stros get Happ and two prospects.

Good for Oswalt--The Astros will just keep falling.

DDBooger
07-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Roy Oswalt has approved the trade to the Phillies and the Stros get Happ and two prospects.

Good for Oswalt--The Astros will just keep falling.

+1

I hate to see the 'Stros struggling. But Oz might as well go somewhere to close his career with an opportunity for a World Series.

How bout them Reds :eek:

OldBison75
07-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Boog, I agree. Oswalt has bee the classiest of the organization since he first came up. He deserves to have a shot at the World Series and ring that will never come in Houston. I wish him the best of luck and will be rooting for him to get his ring even though the Phillies are not my favorite team. The Astros will now enter the (six year) rebuilding phase again.

Maroon87
07-29-2010, 05:51 PM
This is the first true "rebuilding" phase the Astros have been in since the early 90's... From '93-'07 they only had one losing season, which included 4 division titles, 2 wild card berths and a pennant. It's hard to have that kind of consistency these days without the words "New York" or "Boston" on your jersey.

navscanmaster
07-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Although Happ is still somewhat unproven, he looks to have to potential to fit in nicely where Roy O is departing. Sad to say, because I have been such a big Oswalt fan, but maybe the team will actually support him with the bats. It didn't happen for Clemens, and it hasn't happened for Oswalt. I don't know if the batters feel like they don't have to be aggressive when their aces are pitching or what, but it is sure frustrating. Furthermore, the other two guys they got in the deal are, take a guess..................speedy. Not that they can't hit, but why do the Astros, who have settled into the bottom of the league in hitting, never look to upgrade the bats? You can't beat a team 1-0 every night.

SHSBulldog00
07-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Houston needs to look at their scouts in the minor league system. The minors are bad weak.

SintonFan_inAustin
07-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Rangers with a late game so, going to see Roys game against the Nationals

SintonFan_inAustin
07-30-2010, 06:15 PM
2 batters and 1-0 nationals

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2010, 09:48 PM
J.A. Happ pitched a very nice game for Houston tonight. I really think Astros fans are going to like him long-term.

big daddy russ
07-31-2010, 03:55 AM
I liked the trade. In spite of the fact that we gave up O and paid most of his salary, we got a hell of a young arm and some speed on the basepaths. Then we went out and got a guy with a little bit of pop.

Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports (who's usually pretty good) called 27-year-old Happ a "Number 4 starter," which I would disagree with. Has fantasic control (almost a 2-to-1 K-BB ratio despite not being a power pitcher) and consistently keeps his ERA in the three-range. Easily a top-of-the-rotation guy who could be groomed for a year and then flipped for some younger talent.

Now that we've also traded Berkman, we may be on the right track. Though these moves were two years too late, we bolstered our bullpen in there here and now and got a raw but solid defensive infielder (from the Yanks) who has a big arm, the ability to play the left side of the field, and the ability to develop a big bat.

We (finally) have a shot at getting better.