PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with knowledge of state grants?

BEAST
07-29-2010, 01:15 PM
The cemetery we buried my father in last November had been largely unkept for around 20 years. I recently formed a board for the cemetery of which I am the president. We have done A LOT of work the last few weeks but still so much remains. With the need for work also comes the need for more money. I have been told that there are grants available for historical cemeteries like this one. The earliest date I have found on a headstone is 1820. There were 5 Italian WWII POW that died in Brownwood at Camp Bowie buried there until the war was over and their remains were sent to the homes. Needless to say, its very historical. Anyway, do any of you have any info on how to go about getting a grant like this?

BEAST

AP Panther Fan
07-29-2010, 01:52 PM
The Texas Historical Commission website (http://www.thc.state.tx.us/cemeteries/cemrip.shtml)
seems to have alot of great information about registering a historical cemetery in addition to some resources that might be available.

I'll look around to see if anything else jumps out at me.

AP Panther Fan
07-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Here's another website (http://www.ehow.com/list_6079679_grants-cemetery-restoration-preservation.html)

BEAST
07-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
The Texas Historical Commission website (http://www.thc.state.tx.us/cemeteries/cemrip.shtml)
seems to have alot of great information about registering a historical cemetery in addition to some resources that might be available.

I'll look around to see if anything else jumps out at me.

Thanks, I am aleady in contact with those folks.

BEAST

LE Dad
07-29-2010, 03:30 PM
If it is inside of the city, check with the city government. They may have some type of CBDG funds that may be used to improve the site.

BEAST
07-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
If it is inside of the city, check with the city government. They may have some type of CBDG funds that may be used to improve the site.

County.

BEAST

LH Panther Mom
07-30-2010, 04:29 AM
Check with your local BSA Troop. They may have a Scout needing an Eagle project and this type thing is a great opportunity for them to give back. 2-3 years ago, our Scout Master (lhpd haha) was contacted by a gentleman in Amarillo about an old cemetery here that needed work (cleaning & clearing brush). We had a Scout that took on the project, with the rest of the Troop. If there are any renovations they could do, lots of businesses donate to help with Scout stuff.

AP Panther Fan
07-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Check with your local BSA Troop. They may have a Scout needing an Eagle project and this type thing is a great opportunity for them to give back. 2-3 years ago, our Scout Master (lhpd haha) was contacted by a gentleman in Amarillo about an old cemetery here that needed work (cleaning & clearing brush). We had a Scout that took on the project, with the rest of the Troop. If there are any renovations they could do, lots of businesses donate to help with Scout stuff.

You were up early this morning.

Okay, back to the thread topic. No hijacking intended.:)