PDA

View Full Version : Potentially bad news for the Rangers

crzyjournalist03
07-29-2010, 11:57 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=5419964

Ian Kinsler to the DL.

Now it becomes all the more important to get a quality backup infielder in here, because the Rangers really can't afford to be giving up an automatic out at 2B for the next two weeks.

Txbroadcaster
07-29-2010, 12:01 PM
I personally think it is a good thing..gives Kinsler a chance to rest his ankle/leg and allows the Rangers to see if Moreland can stick with the big club and platoon with Davis

crzyjournalist03
07-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I personally think it is a good thing..gives Kinsler a chance to rest his ankle/leg and allows the Rangers to see if Moreland can stick with the big club and platoon with Davis

But who's going to play 2B?

The games Kinsler is guaranteed to miss include 4 against Oakland, 3 against the Angels, 2 against the Yankees, and 3 against the Mariners.

Andres Blanco can't hit his weight, and Joaquin Arias is only slightly better, but inferior defensively.

If the Rangers go out and get Ty Wiggington, then it's not as big of a deal, but with the struggles at the bottom of the lineup, adding another hole could be really bad for a team who's struggled offensively since the All-star break.

Txbroadcaster
07-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Moreland as of now is going to play 2B..which he has done in the past.

I would rather have Kinsler in October healthy than what he is now about a 70% player

Keith7
07-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Moreland can't play secondbase, he's left handed. He'll replace Davis in the lineup some nights and hope that the hole in the lineup is at second base as opposed to at first like it normally is when Ian is around

Keith7
07-29-2010, 12:50 PM
The Rangers could also let Michael Young play second for these next two weeks and then have Davis go to third and Moreland play first.

so you'd have

1b Moreland
2b Young
3b Davis
SS Andrus

eagles_victory
07-29-2010, 01:04 PM
The Rangers will miss Ian for sure but this isn't a loss that will hurt the team too bad. Maybe Im speaking out of anger because Ian took a swing at a 3-0 pitch and fouled out the other night.

crzyjournalist03
07-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
The Rangers could also let Michael Young play second for these next two weeks and then have Davis go to third and Moreland play first.

so you'd have

1b Moreland
2b Young
3b Davis
SS Andrus

That would be probably the smartest choice, but I have a feeling that the Rangers are dead set on not moving Young from third.

Twirling Time
07-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Scratch Davis -- he got sent back to OKC.

So it's Cantu and Moreland platooning at first, and Blanco and Arias at second. I'm not worried. At least Blanco puts the ball in play more than Swingy McSwingalot did.

Doubt we'll see Cantu at second much. He hasn't been a regular second baseman since 2006, and he struggled then.

SintonFan_inAustin
07-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Can Mark McLemore still play 2nd for 2 weeks?

:) it can be for the 900k+ they still owe him

Txbroadcaster
07-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Rangers traded for Nats 2B Chrsitan Guzman

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Rangers traded for Nats 2B Chrsitan Guzman

very good move...I suspect this will end Joaquin Arias's tenure with the club. Guzman finally gives us a versatile utility player who is an above average offensive threat.

IrishTex
07-30-2010, 06:20 PM
This should answer a few questions...

The Rangers are stockpiling infielders. A day after acquiring first/third baseman Jorge Cantu from the Marlins, they went out and got second baseman Cristian Guzman from the Nationals for prospects.

Guzman will fill-in immediately for the Rangers while Ian Kinsler heals on the 15-day disabled list.

Guzman, an 11-year veteran who can also play shortstop, is hitting .282 with a .327 on-base percentage and a .361 slugging percentage in 89 games.

Guzman was also the last player from the original Nationals opening day roster in 2005.