PDA

View Full Version : Jaxon Shipley

BEAST
07-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Just competed in the "ESPN High School Gridiron Kings" at Disney World in Florida. ESPN invites all of the best "blue chip" high school guys from across the country to participate. At the end, ESPN ranked as the #2 prospect at any position. Not bad huh? It's supposed to air on ESPNU either tomorrow or Wednesday at 6:30.

BEAST

BaseballUmp
07-26-2010, 07:33 PM
ehh...that's decent lol

bobcat4life
07-26-2010, 07:34 PM
even Brownwood people get lucky from time to time...

garciap77
07-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Just competed in the "ESPN High School Gridiron Kings" at Disney World in Florida. ESPN invites all of the best "blue chip" high school guys from across the country to participate. At the end, ESPN ranked as the #2 prospect at any position. Not bad huh? It's supposed to air on ESPNU either tomorrow or Wednesday at 6:30.

BEAST

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Spread It Out
07-26-2010, 08:24 PM

BEAST

:clap: :clap:

95mustang
07-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Good for him. He is gonna be something special thats for sure.

VWG
07-26-2010, 10:18 PM
First off, congrats to Jaxon. It's a well deserved ranking as he is a special athlete.

But.... is it just me or are we getting more and more involved in young athletes lives now? It seems they come up with events that glamorize athletes at such a young age more and more.
It's all about money, believe me. Because they wouldn't hold an event unless they were making money off of it. That's the way it is these days.

Take a look back and see where some "blue chip" recruits are after 5 years. Some are playing in the NFL, some aren't even playing anymore due to off the field problems, or injury, etc....
Is it too much exposure? Should these student athletes be put up on such a high pedestal before they have even put on a college jersey?
About 10 years ago we had our DCTF super team, Top 100 players, still had recruiting trails on players..... but now it's grown into a "made for TV", "cover page of the magazine", let's make some dough on these kids.

Anybody been watching the West Jones HS and Wayne County HS in Mississippi documentary? It's not as glamorizing as the Hoover AL. story, but it hits home as those coaches are looking to turn out solid men of character and not just looking at who the best athlete is on the team.
Something to think about.
Fire away fellas........

skins4life
07-26-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm glad the LIONS are coming to Snyder this year. I'll actually get to see him play.

trojan37
07-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by VWG
First off, congrats to Jaxon. It's a well deserved ranking as he is a special athlete.

But.... is it just me or are we getting more and more involved in young athletes lives now? It seems they come up with events that glamorize athletes at such a young age more and more.
It's all about money, believe me. Because they wouldn't hold an event unless they were making money off of it. That's the way it is these days.

Take a look back and see where some "blue chip" recruits are after 5 years. Some are playing in the NFL, some aren't even playing anymore due to off the field problems, or injury, etc....
Is it too much exposure? Should these student athletes be put up on such a high pedestal before they have even put on a college jersey?
About 10 years ago we had our DCTF super team, Top 100 players, still had recruiting trails on players..... but now it's grown into a "made for TV", "cover page of the magazine", let's make some dough on these kids.

Anybody been watching the West Jones HS and Wayne County HS in Mississippi documentary? It's not as glamorizing as the Hoover AL. story, but it hits home as those coaches are looking to turn out solid men of character and not just looking at who the best athlete is on the team.
Fire away fellas........

I've been watching the West Jones and Wayne County documentary and I love it. Those coaches are out to make more than athletes of those kids. Sure, they like to win, but that's not what it is all about. The Texas vs. Florida gig coming up in DeSoto is the same thing-all about money. Still, Shipley is one heck of an athlete and I hope he has a heck of a senior year. (future agent lurks in the background):evilgrin:

gatordaze
07-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by VWG

Fire away fellas........

I think things like Gridiron Kings are just the natural extension of something that can really help the kids that are not Jaxson Shipley. That event is just like the Nike, Under Armour, NUC and a few others national events. Before they can ever get to Gridiron Kings they have to go through local and regional combines where the kids that may not get a look are given a shot.

We just got back from an event that was held in Norman OK. In order to get invited to that event you first had to be invited to the regional event. NUC held 70+ local combines featuring over 20,000 players since Febraury. From there they invited 100 players by position and class to 1 of 5 regional combines which featured 20 players per class in each position. The top 3 from each regional were invited to the national camp that had the top 15 by class by position nationally. They compete on combine measurables and 1 on 1 for OL/DL or 7 on 7 for skill players. The OL/Dl drills are pass protection versus rush to a QB dummy and are real physical and require size, speed and technique.

The talent level at the national camps are pretty amazing with the MVP's of each position of the incoming Seniors all having 20+ D1 offers. Would these kids have gotten that anyway? Probabaly, but the other 19,600 that participated at some point through the spring got a chance. And a chance is all you can ask for. If just a few kids get on someones radar it is worth the whole thing.

The other benefit is that it is humbling to see what the real competition is out there. My son will most likely not see anyone this season at the level of some of the DE's that he faced. It really made him undersdtand why technique and genetics are the key to being great.

These were just kids and I was amazed. I really should look at the athletic freaks that fill the NFL rosters as they are all studs and we should never talk bad of any of them for the lack of talent. They are all truly blessed with extrodinary talent.

PPSTATEBOUND
07-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Just one of many reasons Brownwood collects #8

Looking4number8
07-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
Just one of many reasons Brownwood collects #8

I pray you are correct...

Pick6
07-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8

I think he just might be, but it's hard to jump on that bandwagon with someone like Rocket on it. He'd fit in perfectly in Celina, yall ever thought about relocating him or would the village be missing something if he left :D

garciap77
07-27-2010, 08:07 AM

You are going to have to change you name! HaHa

Here! Let me help you out brother with some names:

"Finally Found It"!

Or "Looking4number9"!

Or "WeAreTheChampionsButWeCan'tBeatWylie"!

I recommend the last one!:D

;)

garciap77
07-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
I think he just might be, but it's hard to jump on that bandwagon with someone like Rocket on it. He'd fit in perfectly in Celina, yall ever thought about relocating him or would the village be missing something if he left :D

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/others-195.gif

hollywood
07-27-2010, 08:51 AM

BEAST

Congrats to him! That's great stuff. :clap:

I tell ya, he's really blessed. Didn't get to make it to College Station, but had the previlage to watch the 7on7 at Tarleton and he has really filled out since last season. Lots of hard work in the off-season. I keep hearing how hard everyones been working. Hard work has it's pay day.

SWMustang
07-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by hollywood

Hard work has it's pay day.

yeah but laziness pays off immediately.

Ranger Mom
07-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by garciap77

"Finally Found It"!

Or "Looking4number9"!

Or "WeAreTheChampionsButWeCan'tBeatWylie"!

I recommend the last one!:D

;)

He couldn't use the last one....there is a limit to the number of letters you can use in a username.....as he found out when he first signed up!!:p

injuredinmelee
07-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
even Brownwood people get lucky from time to time...

He isnt a product of Bwood they have nothing to do with the player he is and will be. The wood is just a stop a long the way for his dad...

garciap77
07-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
He couldn't use the last one....there is a limit to the number of letters you can use in a username.....as he found out when he first signed up!!:p

:D

OK!!!

Will "WeCan'tBeatWylie" work?:D

;)

LE Dad
07-27-2010, 09:47 AM

"WeCan'tBeatWylie"

;) There... I like that one!!:D

waterboy
07-27-2010, 10:17 AM
How 'bout "Can'twin#8"? Or "#8in2028".....if they're lucky of course? :D

garciap77
07-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
How 'bout "Can'twin#8"? Or "#8in2028".....if they're lucky of course? :D

That would make L4#8 about 98 or so!!!!:D

;)

garciap77
07-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
There... I like that one!!:D

;)

hollywood
07-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
He isnt a product of Bwood they have nothing to do with the player he is and will be. The wood is just a stop a long the way for his dad...

Duh!:rolleyes: :D

BwdLion73
07-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Pick6

:doh: ;)

LE Dad
07-27-2010, 01:38 PM
That would make L4#8 about 98 or so!!!!:D

;) How bout??
Prayin2C98:thinking:

LionKing
07-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
He isnt a product of Bwood they have nothing to do with the player he is and will be. The wood is just a stop a long the way for his dad... While Jaxon and Bob have only lived in Brownwood for a short while, they were certainly no strangers to the town and had been here numerous times, Jaxon's grandmother and several other relatives have been long time residents of Brownwood, family is one of the main reasons the Shipleys came here.
But I do agree, it wouldn't have mattered where Jaxon was raised, he would be good where ever.

Old Dog
07-27-2010, 02:07 PM
You could say the same about why Bob came to Burnet, but that wasn't enough to hold him there. Of course B'wood is the Mrs. family, so maybe .......................................?

Anyway, us in Burnet hope you Brownwood folks get to enjoy watching Jaxon half as much as we enjoyed Jordan! Jordan most likely was the best football player to grace Bulldog Stadium in Burnet.

Looking4number8
07-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Dang, I actually pick a day that I work a little and I get back and you guys are showing your love for me.

After we win this year, I will have to change my name to something that will work for several years... we plan on winning a bunch now that we are in little ole 3A.

Figured I would start a fire with that one... :devil: :devil: :devil:

garciap77
07-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Dang, I actually pick a day that I work a little and I get back and you guys are showing your love for me.

After we win this year, I will have to change my name to something that will work for several years... we plan on winning a bunch now that we are in little ole 3A.

Figured I would start a fire with that one... :devil: :devil: :devil: :stirpot:

jason
07-27-2010, 04:16 PM

how about if brownwood wins this year you can change it to whatever you want - but if they don't we get to pick your new name for you?

JasperDog94
07-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by jason
how about if brownwood wins this year you can change it to whatever you want - but if they don't we get to pick your new name for you? Uh-Oh. The gauntlet has been thrown down. Will Looking4number8 pick it up?:1popcorn: :1popcorn:

Looking4number8
07-27-2010, 04:40 PM
how about if brownwood wins this year you can change it to whatever you want - but if they don't we get to pick your new name for you?

I will do it for Brownwood winning the SC if you will do it for Stephenville (or whatever school you support now) winning the SC. Either way, I like my chances better than yours!

Sweetwater Red
07-27-2010, 04:40 PM
<As the song from The Good, The Bad, and the ugly plays in the background....>

BEAST
07-27-2010, 04:44 PM
L4#8 has answered the call and extended a new deal. Will Jason have the stones to take the deal? Tune in next time to "Name that poster"

BEAST

garciap77
07-27-2010, 05:48 PM
L4#8 has answered the call and extended a new deal. Will Jason have the stones to take the deal? Tune in next time to "Name that poster"

BEAST

LE Dad
07-27-2010, 06:05 PM
:1popcorn: :1popcorn:

garciap77
07-27-2010, 06:07 PM
:1popcorn: :1popcorn: :1popcorn:

VWG
07-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
I think things like Gridiron Kings are just the natural extension of something that can really help the kids that are not Jaxson Shipley. That event is just like the Nike, Under Armour, NUC and a few others national events. Before they can ever get to Gridiron Kings they have to go through local and regional combines where the kids that may not get a look are given a shot.

We just got back from an event that was held in Norman OK. In order to get invited to that event you first had to be invited to the regional event. NUC held 70+ local combines featuring over 20,000 players since Febraury. From there they invited 100 players by position and class to 1 of 5 regional combines which featured 20 players per class in each position. The top 3 from each regional were invited to the national camp that had the top 15 by class by position nationally. They compete on combine measurables and 1 on 1 for OL/DL or 7 on 7 for skill players. The OL/Dl drills are pass protection versus rush to a QB dummy and are real physical and require size, speed and technique.

The talent level at the national camps are pretty amazing with the MVP's of each position of the incoming Seniors all having 20+ D1 offers. Would these kids have gotten that anyway? Probabaly, but the other 19,600 that participated at some point through the spring got a chance. And a chance is all you can ask for. If just a few kids get on someones radar it is worth the whole thing.

The other benefit is that it is humbling to see what the real competition is out there. My son will most likely not see anyone this season at the level of some of the DE's that he faced. It really made him undersdtand why technique and genetics are the key to being great.

These were just kids and I was amazed. I really should look at the athletic freaks that fill the NFL rosters as they are all studs and we should never talk bad of any of them for the lack of talent. They are all truly blessed with extrodinary talent.

No offense, but those 19,600 kids paid how much to have their 40 yard times, vertical jump, etc.... measured?
That NUC is just like Perfect Game in baseball.
There was a comment made on The Old Coach a few weeks back. Guy was talking about how they have 4-5 kids every year being told to play select summer baseball with some of the better state programs. They tell them they are potential D1 material, but this 4A school with an average baseball program has had one player go D1 in the last 10 years. The others wind up at NAIA or DIII. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, but I do know that if you are good enough you can get noticed and not having to pay to get seen.
My point is that it doesn't matter what sport the kid is playing. Football, Hoops, Baseball... it's more about marketing for dollars than it is about the kids.
What percentage of HS athletes make it to the next level?
Less than 5%. Those are the numbers that don't lie.
Think about how many of these types of combines and competitions have sprung up in the past 5-7 years. It's not because they care about the kids. It's because the kids parents care about seeing if Johnny has what it takes to take it to the next level.

gatordaze
07-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by VWG
No offense, but those 19,600 kids paid how much to have their 40 yard times, vertical jump, etc.... measured?
That NUC is just like Perfect Game in baseball.
There was a comment made on The Old Coach a few weeks back. Guy was talking about how they have 4-5 kids every year being told to play select summer baseball with some of the better state programs. They tell them they are potential D1 material, but this 4A school with an average baseball program has had one player go D1 in the last 10 years. The others wind up at NAIA or DIII. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, but I do know that if you are good enough you can get noticed and not having to pay to get seen.
My point is that it doesn't matter what sport the kid is playing. Football, Hoops, Baseball... it's more about marketing for dollars than it is about the kids.
What percentage of HS athletes make it to the next level?
Less than 5%. Those are the numbers that don't lie.
Think about how many of these types of combines and competitions have sprung up in the past 5-7 years. It's not because they care about the kids. It's because the kids parents care about seeing if Johnny has what it takes to take it to the next level.

It is $60 and they provide scholarships for those that cannot afford it. It is a good value, lets the kids make friends with kids that have similar interests and lets them compete in a controlled environment.

4.3% of HS kids play at the next level D1,1-AA, II, NAIA, and III. Until you measure yourself against the best you have know idea where you are recruitable. You would be surprised at how many kids are recruitable athletically and have no chance academically.

These combines are not charity but to say that they don't provide value to the kids is simply not understanding or not having a first hand experience. The over riding theme is that if you don't take care of businsess in the classroom you won't be allowed to take care of business on the field.

jason
07-27-2010, 09:57 PM
I will do it for Brownwood winning the SC if you will do it for Stephenville (or whatever school you support now) winning the SC. Either way, I like my chances better than yours! in reality - i dont think our names can be changed....

stephenville has just a good of a shot to win their division in 4a as brownwood does in 3a....

the wager should be on the stephenville @ brownwood game in week 0, unless you are scared brownwood will get donkey stomped like they did last year.....

garciap77
07-27-2010, 10:01 PM
in reality - i dont think our names can be changed....

stephenville has just a good of a shot to win their division in 4a as brownwood does in 3a....

the wager should be on the stephenville @ brownwood game in week 0, unless you are scared brownwood will get donkey stomped like they did last year.....

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Surprise/surprised-033.gif

BEAST
07-27-2010, 10:24 PM

Who's Ville playing in Wood on 0 week? We don't tangle till Sept. 10th.

So I take it you decline lookins deal?

BEAST

ccmom
07-27-2010, 10:33 PM

the wager should be on the stephenville @ brownwood game in week 0, unless you are scared brownwood will get donkey stomped like they did last year..... I'll betcha neither of those teams will beat the other in week 0. If I win, you wear a cheerleader uniform to the Wylie/Stephenville game....you can pick the team because I'm a good sport! :devil:

jason
07-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Who's Ville playing in Wood on 0 week? We don't tangle till Sept. 10th.

So I take it you decline lookins deal?

BEAST

oops....

they are @ aledo in week 0...

then vs abilene wylie...

and THEN @ brownwood sept 10...

BEAST
07-27-2010, 11:07 PM
oops....

they are @ aledo in week 0...

then vs abilene wylie...

and THEN @ brownwood sept 10...

When yall gets yalls arse dankey stomped.

All smack aside, if both can dodge injuries, this should be one for the ages.

BEAST

Looking4number8
07-28-2010, 05:53 AM

How about a more realist bet, like changing of the avaitor or sig for a few weeks...... and a cold beer.

Originally posted by ccmom
I'll betcha neither of those teams will beat the other in week 0. If I win, you wear a cheerleader uniform to the Wylie/Stephenville game....you can pick the team because I'm a good sport! :devil:

ccmom, you need to get back into thearpy.... thats just sick. We have talked about those perverted thoughts you keep having. Now get yourself under control!

garciap77
07-28-2010, 07:01 AM
I'm going with BW over The Ville!:) I might even make that game!:D

2010-2011 schedule
date opponent home/away location time/result
9/3 Stephenville Away Memorial Stadium (Stephenville) 7:30 p.m.
9/10 Graham Home Wylie Bulldog Stadium (Abilene) 7:30 p.m.
9/17 Waco High Away Waco ISD Stadium 7:30 p.m.
9/24 Lucas Lovejoy Away Leopard Stadium (Lucas) 7:30 p.m.
10/1 Lubbock Estacado Home Wylie Bulldog Stadium (Abilene) 7:30 p.m.
10/8 Sweetwater * Away Mustang Bowl (Sweetwater) 7:30 p.m.
10/22 Big Spring * Home Wylie Bulldog Stadium (Abilene) 7:30 p.m.
10/29 Snyder * Away Tiger Stadium (Snyder) 7:30 p.m.
11/5 Brownwood * Home Wylie Bulldog Stadium (Abilene) 7:30 p.m.

I might have to miss the Graham game!:D

P.S. I guess La Vernia will be a no show!:(

jason
07-28-2010, 07:18 AM
i told all my golfing buddies here that i had an invite to sit on the brownwood side and driink beer before the game and i got 'the look' from all of them...

told them i would get a blue and gold t shirt that says 'brownwood lions' on it and wear it to the game....

i didn't grow up here, just went to college and live here now so i don't have the hatred for brownwood like most locals lol....

the first couple of years i lived here brownwood and stephenville didn't even play each other...

jason
07-28-2010, 07:24 AM
How about a more realist bet, like changing of the avaitor or sig for a few weeks...... and a cold beer.

DEAL.

- i plan on coming to the brownwood for the game but we have pre-wedding stuff going on quite often between now and the wedding so my attendance is still tbd...

bwdlionfan
07-28-2010, 10:28 AM
i told all my golfing buddies here that i had an invite to sit on the brownwood side and driink beer before the game and i got 'the look' from all of them...

told them i would get a blue and gold t shirt that says 'brownwood lions' on it and wear it to the game....

i didn't grow up here, just went to college and live here now so i don't have the hatred for brownwood like most locals lol....

the first couple of years i lived here brownwood and stephenville didn't even play each other...

so you weren't in the ville during the late 90s when we had some of the best games?

jason
07-28-2010, 10:52 AM
no, i moved here in 2005 to finish college and still live/work here...

LE Dad
07-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by ccmom
I'll betcha neither of those teams will beat the other in week 0. If I win, you wear a cheerleader uniform to the Wylie/Stephenville game....you can pick the team because I'm a good sport! :devil: :eek: :eek: :eek: