PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant - Rookie Hazing

District303aPastPlayer
07-25-2010, 10:26 PM
He refused to carry Roy Williams pads as part of rookie hazing... What are your thoughts?

Spread It Out
07-25-2010, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't carry pads of a player i was better than either.

95mustang
07-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Spread It Out
I wouldn't carry pads of a player i was better than either. :clap:

I can agree with you there. Maybe Miles Austin should ask him.

bigwood33
07-25-2010, 10:58 PM
He should just fall in and do it. Rookies all over the league take a little good natured ribbing.

Emerson1
07-25-2010, 11:03 PM
I'll believe it when I see video of the entire thing. Not some reporter who would write a new story about how the team was crumbling from TO because he left a stinky bathroom stall.

Txbroadcaster
07-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I'll believe it when I see video of the entire thing. Not some reporter who would write a new story about how the team was crumbling from TO because he left a stinky bathroom stall.

Actually there were quotes from RW about it

DDBooger
07-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Actually there were quotes from RW about it

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d8194c4e5/article/cowboys-bryant-shuns-rookie-ritual-wont-carry-williams-pads

SAN ANTONIO -- Dallas Cowboys rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant said he's in training camp to catch passes, not carry somebody else's shoulder pads after practice. When wideout Roy Williams handed his pads to Bryant on Sunday after the Cowboys' morning session, the first-round draft pick didn't carry them. Veteran players traditionally hand their pads to a rookie after practice. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads," Bryant said. "If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing." Williams said every rookie has go to through such rituals during their first NFL season. He said he carried pads and paid for meals when he was a rookie for the Detroit Lions in 2004. "No matter if you're a No. 1 pick or the 7,000th pick, you've still got to do something when you're a rookie," Williams said. When Bill Parcells was with the Cowboys, the team's top pick was responsible for taking water to the coach during breaks at training camp. Current coach Wade Phillips doesn't have such a requirement. While some believe Bryant could challenge Williams for the starting job opposite Pro Bowl receiver Miles Austin, there have been no apparent issues between the receivers. After camp opened Saturday with a practice without pads, Williams called Bryant a great player and said he was glad the Cowboys drafted the former Oklahoma State star. "Controversy is what everybody loves, try to pin him against me, me against him, and it's not going to work," Williams said Saturday.

Z-RO
07-25-2010, 11:31 PM
I don't blame him at all, they are fighting for the same starting position. Caving in to that is a sign of submission, and I don't care what RW's says he doesn't want Dez beating him out of the starting position. Good for Dez!

Txbroadcaster
07-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Z-RO
I don't blame him at all, they are fighting for the same starting position. Caving in to that is a sign of submission, and I don't care what RW's says he doesn't want Dez beating him out of the starting position. Good for Dez!

this aint about position your playing this is a simple welcome to the league rookie. Dez needs to step back and realize that

Spread It Out
07-26-2010, 12:13 AM
this aint about position your playing this is a simple welcome to the league rookie. Dez needs to step back and realize that

No, Roy needs to step back and realize that unless he gets his ass in gear he'll be carrying his helmet around the sideline in a ballcap watching Dez start.

eagles_victory
07-26-2010, 12:18 AM
this aint about position your playing this is a simple welcome to the league rookie. Dez needs to step back and realize that Rookie hazing is stupid but its just part of it unless it is just something ridiculous I honestly don't see why Dez just wouldn't take part in it. I saw something where vets like steal Rookies credit cards and run up a huge bill now in my opinion that is way too far.

GreenMonster
07-26-2010, 12:40 AM
When Saltalamachia was a rookie on the Rangers the vets took his clothes made him put on a giant diaper on the plane to the first road trip and gave him a pacifier. When the plane landed no could seem to find Salty's clothes so he was forced to wear the diaper and the pacifier to the team hotel. It's all fun and games and being reminded that you are a very small part of a very large team and that no one is bigger than the team.

BullsFan
07-26-2010, 12:46 AM
It's not about challenging someone for a position. This is about being a rookie and showing respect for a vet. Dez should have just done it, and his not doing it is the kind of thing that gives him a reputation.

Now, having said all that, this is one isolated incident and it doesn't mean anything aside from the fact that the media loves printing crap about the Dallas Cowboys. If that happens in any other locker room in the league chances are no one cares (unless it's a controversial figure like TO). If we keep hearing reports about how Dez isn't fitting in or is causing trouble then I'll worry. For now I think this it's just overhyped nothing.

Keith7
07-26-2010, 01:23 AM
Just goes to show the type of thug Bryant is.. the team has already anointed him hall of fame worthy by giving him the number 88 and his thinks he is above the team.. have fun with this cowgirls LOL

SintonFan_inAustin
07-26-2010, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by BullsFan
It's not about challenging someone for a position. This is about being a rookie and showing respect for a vet. Dez should have just done it, and his not doing it is the kind of thing that gives him a reputation.
+1

this will be forgotten once he scores TD but a possible TO in the making, jmo.

Txbroadcaster
07-26-2010, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Just goes to show the type of thug Bryant is.. the team has already anointed him hall of fame worthy by giving him the number 88 and his thinks he is above the team.. have fun with this cowgirls LOL

Wow calling him a thug..sad

eagles_victory
07-26-2010, 04:57 AM
Wow calling him a thug..sad When daddy spanks you 3 times including in front of the whole country you have to find something to say.

Looking4number8
07-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Bryant should just keep being the first to arrive by a couple of hours and last to leave practice like he did the first day. Out work everyone and no one would be around to haze him.

Farmersfan
07-26-2010, 07:53 AM
The whole idea of hazing is antiquated and should be completely abolished by the NFL. These are all MEN who are being paid huge amounts of money to produce "on the field" as well as create a productive off field environment that is conducive to winning and the need of the older players to subjugate the younger players is a ego thing no matter how you slice it. So far in his career Roy Wiliams has earned ZERO rights to force any kind of tradition or practice on another player. If I were Dez and Williams told me to carry his pads I would STILL be laughing!!!!!

Txbroadcaster
07-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
The whole idea of hazing is antiquated and should be completely abolished by the NFL. These are all MEN who are being paid huge amounts of money to produce "on the field" as well as create a productive off field environment that is conducive to winning and the need of the older players to subjugate the younger players is a ego thing no matter how you slice it. So far in his career Roy Wiliams has earned ZERO rights to force any kind of tradition or practice on another player. If I were Dez and Williams told me to carry his pads I would STILL be laughing!!!!!

so by ur argument what has Dez done in his career to say no?

this was not HAZING..it was a stupid little hey carry my pads rook type of deal.

Farmersfan
07-26-2010, 09:11 AM

this was not HAZING..it was a stupid little hey carry my pads rook type of deal.

"Hazing is a term used to describe various ritual and other activities involving harassment, abuse or humiliation used as a way of initiating a person into a group."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazing

Q:
"so by ur argument what has Dez done in his career to say no?"

A:
It's quite simple TX. He has become an adult. When you become an adult you have aquired the right and ability to make a decision as to what you will or will not allow yourself to subjected to. You wieght the pros and cons of an activity like this and decide if it provides any benefits at all except for the pleasure received by the older players who feel the need to demonstrate the ONLY area of superiority they can demonstrate. (tenure)!

Farmersfan
07-26-2010, 09:14 AM

Let me also state that if Dez doesn't handle this right at it becomes a locker room disruption, that also isn't a good thing. I would rather see him submit to the misplaced ego of Roy Williams than to divide the locker room.

GreenMonster
07-26-2010, 09:26 AM
This has nothing to do with Williams or his misplaced ego, it is quite simply a long honored right of passage that all NFL rookies go through. No harm, no foul so just take it like a man and go on about your business instead of acting like an ass. Pass it on to the next generation just like the current generation is passing it down to you, besides these guys might razz you and give you a hard time but these are the guys that are going to teach you how to play, act, and prepare like a professional. So just keep your mouth shut as a rookie and let your play speak for itself. Once you have established yourself and you want to run your mouth or be a disruption no matter how small, go ahead because NFL owners like Jerry love someone that will create a stir in the media and keep his team in the headlines, it's called free advertisement.

Farmersfan
07-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
This has nothing to do with Williams or his misplaced ego, it is quite simply a long honored right of passage that all NFL rookies go through. No harm, no foul so just take it like a man and go on about your business instead of acting like an ass. Pass it on to the next generation just like the current generation is passing it down to you, besides these guys might razz you and give you a hard time but these are the guys that are going to teach you how to play, act, and prepare like a professional. So just keep your mouth shut as a rookie and let your play speak for itself. Once you have established yourself and you want to run your mouth or be a disruption no matter how small, go ahead because NFL owners like Jerry love someone that will create a stir in the media and keep his team in the headlines, it's called free advertisement.

It's all about EGO GreenMonster!

"A rite of passage is a ritual event that marks a person's progress from one status to another."

In this situation it is a veteran athlete showing that he considers himself at a higher status than the rookie due to tenure! But it's not enough for the veteran to CONSIDER himself at a higher status, he must try to force the rookie to demonstrate that he is higher on the pecking order by performing menial tasks and subjugating himself to the veteran.

See? It's all about ego!

Bull's-eye
07-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Dez had more important things to carry, Williams was just mad nobody trusted him to carry a baby.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/photo_gallery.cfm?id=0C2612C8-9A3B-85E1-032E051790C700C2

Gobbler Fan
07-26-2010, 10:50 AM
With the hands that Roy Williams has shown in his time at Dallas he needs someone to carry his pads just so they dont get dropped .
Dez Bryant just needs to keep doing what he has been doing since being drafted ...sign a contract with no hassle and be the first to practice and the last to leave like he has been doing .

Txbroadcaster
07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
something tells me if it was Witten or Austin that told Dez to do it and then he said no alot more people on here would be saying Bryant was in the wrong

Pick6
07-26-2010, 11:02 AM
something tells me if it was Witten or Austin that told Dez to do it and then he said no alot more people on here would be saying Bryant was in the wrong

And I think you're exactly right.

Txbroadcaster
07-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
And I think you're exactly right.

and with Witten I could understand that..but Austin? So far he has done nothing but have one great year, not like he has more skins on the wall than Williams.

Macarthur
07-26-2010, 11:26 AM

Absolutely classless.

Dez may be a diva, but he has never been a thug. You should be ashamed of yourself.

This story is stupid.

There have been many players over the years that have done the same thing.

In fact, Jack Lambert, as the story goes, told his teammates when he was told to sing his school song, to kiss his a** he wasn't going to sing anything. And if anyone had a problem with it, come see him.

I bet none of you would call Jack Lambert a thug. No, he was just a hard working, blue collar old school football player.

Give me a break.

RW needs to get his a** out on the field early LIKE DEZ and start working with the QBs. Dez is going to take his job.

waterboy
07-26-2010, 11:31 AM
:iagree: The feller who wrote about this needs to get a life, in my opinion. What goes on between players in practice and the locker room doesn't matter to me, so long as it doesn't translate to problems getting the job done on the field. Sensationalism and pseudo journalism at its finest......

How are them Eagirlie Girls doing this year, Keith?

CenTexSports
07-26-2010, 12:09 PM
The real change is generational. The "Golden" rule is gone. Today's generation goes by the "Platinum" rule. Treat everyone the way they want to be treated. From Dez's standpoint, he is just expecting what he would give.

As a Baby Boomer this is a big change for my generation but there is nothing you can do about it.

Maroon87
07-26-2010, 12:21 PM
It seems he did it in a respectful way...he didn't throw a tantrum. He just said that he's here to win and not carry someone's pads.

I think that's the attitude the entire team should take.

crzyjournalist03
07-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
It seems he did it in a respectful way...he didn't throw a tantrum. He just said that he's here to win and not carry someone's pads.

I think that's the attitude the entire team should take.

I sure hope his actual statement to Roy was, "I've got enough baggage I'm carrying."

:D

Farmersfan
07-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
:iagree: The feller who wrote about this needs to get a life, in my opinion. What goes on between players in practice and the locker room doesn't matter to me, so long as it doesn't translate to problems getting the job done on the field. Sensationalism and pseudo journalism at its finest......

How are them Eagirlie Girls doing this year, Keith?

You can't blame the media! They only write about what people want to hear about! To expect paid media to ignore this when the public will eat it up is not a rational expectation. Hopefully it doesn't develope into a distraction in the locker room.

PPSTATEBOUND
07-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I sure hope his actual statement to Roy was, "I've got enough baggage I'm carrying."

:D

:clap:

waterboy
07-26-2010, 12:43 PM
You can't blame the media! They only write about what people want to hear about! To expect paid media to ignore this when the public will eat it up is not a rational expectation. Hopefully it doesn't develope into a distraction in the locker room.
Unfortunately, you're right, but the media has gone from reporting the news that really matters to stirring the pot hoping for some sensationalism. I'm sorry, but I am one of those people that could care less about who carries who's pads. It's unfortunate that some people actually want to hear this kind of crap. It all depends on what happens, or becomes of, this irrelevant information --- whether the players will overlook it (which I think they will), or whether it'll become an issue between teammates. The only way it'll become "real" news is if it causes a rift.

Keith7
07-26-2010, 01:04 PM

Yea what is this feller doing writing about something like this!?!? wait.. the AP wrote something on this too? WHAT THE!?!? wait.. espndallas.com wrote something on this too?!? WHY I OUGHTA!!! wait.. the DMN wrote about this too!??!? DANG MEDIA!! wait.. yahoo.com put together a story on this too?!?!? OMG!!! wait.. fox sports has a story on this too!??!?!? Hmm seems to be a hot topic because.. well because it is a hot topic..

This is a hot topic because it proves what everyone has known all along.. Dez Bryant is a prima donna. To him, he is the "I" in team.. You don't have to go back very far to figure that out either .. It doesn't matter if it's him lieing to the NCAA without any regard to his team, having his own pro day or being too good for rookie hazing, Bryant has replaced TO as the biggest ego in the NFL.. Have fun with that cowgirl fans..

As for rookie hazing, yea it's stupid but it's a right of passage for these rookies. Emmitt did it, Troy did it, Peyton Manning did it, hell TO did it.. For a player to say "I'm not doing it" is like him saying, "I don't care about you guys, I'm better than you".. I know the cowgirl fans can't see it now but you will sooner or later and I'll just sit back with my popcorn ready

Keith7
07-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Unfortunately, you're right, but the media has gone from reporting the news that really matters to stirring the pot hoping for some sensationalism. I'm sorry, but I am one of those people that could care less about who carries who's pads. It's unfortunate that some people actually want to hear this kind of crap. It all depends on what happens, or becomes of, this irrelevant information --- whether the players will overlook it (which I think they will), or whether it'll become an issue between teammates. The only way it'll become "real" news is if it causes a rift.

BLAME THE MEDIA! BLAME THE MEDIA!! No way the player is wrong LOLOLOL typical cowgirls fans

Bullaholic
07-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Yea what is this feller doing writing about something like this!?!? wait.. the AP wrote something on this too? WHAT THE!?!? wait.. espndallas.com wrote something on this too?!? WHY I OUGHTA!!! wait.. the DMN wrote about this too!??!? DANG MEDIA!! wait.. yahoo.com put together a story on this too?!?!? OMG!!! wait.. fox sports has a story on this too!??!?!? Hmm seems to be a hot topic because.. well because it is a hot topic..

This is a hot topic because it proves what everyone has known all along.. Dez Bryant is a prima donna. To him, he is the "I" in team.. You don't have to go back very far to figure that out either .. It doesn't matter if it's him lieing to the NCAA without any regard to his team, having his own pro day or being too good for rookie hazing, Bryant has replaced TO as the biggest ego in the NFL.. Have fun with that cowgirl fans..

As for rookie hazing, yea it's stupid but it's a right of passage for these rookies. Emmitt did it, Troy did it, Peyton Manning did it, hell TO did it.. For a player to say "I'm not doing it" is like him saying, "I don't care about you guys, I'm better than you".. I know the cowgirl fans can't see it now but you will sooner or later and I'll just sit back with my popcorn ready

Everyone knows that any "hot" topic is newsworthy.

Might actually agree with the first couple of sentences of your 3rd paragraph.

The only thing that Philly fans know to do with food like popcorn is throw it on the field or at others.

Macarthur
07-26-2010, 01:25 PM

No, you said THUG. Don't run from what you posted. You are sorry for posting that about the kid. I actually think the person whose character should be in question here is you, not Dez.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/042010dnspotaylorcol.3ad5f5a.html

I urge you to read the above article.

It's so easy for those of us that have faced very little real adversity in life to stand in judgement of these young men.

Frankly, given his background, I think he's come through this all quite well.

No, not all players have gone through hazing. Check it out.

Typical eagles fan. You let your hate of a team get in the way of you actually thinking logically.

LE Dad
07-26-2010, 01:37 PM
BLAME THE MEDIA! BLAME THE MEDIA!! No way the player is wrong LOLOLOL typical cowgirls fans The player is to blame for what?:confused: because he wouldn't carry pads...lLOL:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The only one to blame is Roy cause he ran his mouth and didn't have tha #*!# to back it up.

Upper classmen have had JV kids carry their gear for years, but if you get a ballsy one you better be man enough to put him in line. Obivously Mr. Williams wasn't. This should never make it to public realm. This reporters a$$ should never get another story from any player
on the team IMO. :thinking:

Bullaholic
07-26-2010, 01:42 PM
I think Keith and the other Dirty Birds fans will be worrying a lot more about DeSean Jackson wanting to re-negotiate, rather than Dez in the next few weeks. Jackson will make Dez look like a choir boy. In the words of the immortal PPHSFan---"Hide and watch...."

ronwx5x
07-26-2010, 01:44 PM
In the words of one of the 3A DL posters, I DON'T CARE! I do hope it doesn't bring dissension to the Cowboys, but sounds like a whole lot of nothing to me.

Pick6
07-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
No, you said THUG. Don't run from what you posted. You are sorry for posting that about the kid. I actually think the person whose character should be in question here is you, not Dez.

You have to remember it's keith. He has no class at all. If you scraped the scum off the bottom of a barrell, well, you might find keith hiding there.

Keith7
07-26-2010, 01:56 PM

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/042010dnspotaylorcol.3ad5f5a.html

It's so easy for those of us that have faced very little real adversity in life to stand in judgement of these young men.

Typical eagles fan. You let your hate of a team get in the way of you actually thinking logically.

Not running away from it.. being a thug and a prima donna go hand-in-hand.. he is still a thug and it goes back further then just this incident

And yes every player goes through it but Dez is the first to think he is too good for it

Keith7
07-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
The player is to blame for what?:confused: because he wouldn't carry pads...lLOL:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The only one to blame is Roy cause he ran his mouth and didn't have tha #*!# to back it up.

Upper classmen have had JV kids carry their gear for years, but if you get a ballsy one you better be man enough to put him in line. Obivously Mr. Williams wasn't. This should never make it to public realm. This reporters a$$ should never get another story from any player
on the team IMO. :thinking:

Yea blame the player for acting like a prima donna who is above the team.. It's really not that complicated.. I guess if you have cowgirl blinders on it is though.. :doh:

Macarthur
07-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Not running away from it.. being a thug and a prima donna go hand-in-hand.. he is still a thug and it goes back further then just this incident

And yes every player goes through it but Dez is the first to think he is too good for it

Again, I challenge you to read the article. Dez is not a thug.

Keith7
07-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Again, I challenge you to read the article. Dez is not a thug.

I read it.. I hate to break it to you but that's an opinion piece wrote four months ago.. When you look at all the things he's done it still comes down to him being a thug..

I know there are preconceived notions on what people really mean when they call someone a thug but I'm calling him a thug meaning he refuses to follow rules, lies to authority and presents himself like he is above others.. By my definition he is a grade A thug

Bullaholic
07-26-2010, 02:10 PM
I read it.. I hate to break it to you but that's an opinion piece wrote four months ago.. When you look at all the things he's done it still comes down to him being a thug..

I know there are preconceived notions on what people really mean when they call someone a thug but I'm calling him a thug meaning he refuses to follow rules, lies to authority and presents himself like he is above others.. By my definition he is a grade A thug

Dang, all these years I guess Keith has been a thug.....:D

LE Dad
07-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Yea blame the player for acting like a prima donna who is above the team.. It's really not that complicated.. I guess if you have cowgirl blinders on it is though.. :doh: I went through it on both ends in HS. I would carry gear for Seniors only, and then only if I respected them. If I told you no you better be pepared to nut it up and make me. Same when I was a Jr. if you told me no you better buckle up cause it was "on". I promise you I ain't no prima donna... Its all about respect , obiviosly Dez doesn't respect Roy and Roy wasn't man enough to make him. No news in that.:thinking:

LE Dad
07-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Dang, all these years I guess Keith has been a thug.....:D :clap: :clap:

Macarthur
07-26-2010, 02:21 PM

So is this opinion?

Bryant has never been arrested. He's never had a drug problem. He's never had an alcohol problem. He's never had a problem with violence.

And he doesn't come with a posse. He's had the same best friend since the third grade.

Then by YOUR definition, you have described about 3/4 of professional athletes.

And I supposed you've never been guilty of any of the above transgressions. :rolleyes:

Would the label 'thug' apply to you?

garciap77
07-26-2010, 02:22 PM
I went through it on both ends in HS. I would carry gear for Seniors only, and then only if I respected them. If I told you no you better be pepared to nut it up and make me. Same when I was a Jr. if you told me no you better buckle up cause it was "on". I promise you I ain't no prima donna... Its all about respect , obiviosly Dez doesn't respect Roy and Roy wasn't man enough to make him. No news in that.:thinking:

THUG!!!!!!
:D :D :D

LE Dad
07-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
THUG!!!!!!
:D :D :D :thumbsup:

Farmersfan
07-26-2010, 02:28 PM
I went through it on both ends in HS. I would carry gear for Seniors only, and then only if I respected them. If I told you no you better be pepared to nut it up and make me. Same when I was a Jr. if you told me no you better buckle up cause it was "on". I promise you I ain't no prima donna... Its all about respect , obiviosly Dez doesn't respect Roy and Roy wasn't man enough to make him. No news in that.:thinking:

It's completely different in High school than in the NFL. In high school they are kids and the difference between the incoming freshmen and the seniors is HUGE. But in the NFL there is not much difference between the rookies and the vets except for tenure. In fact most of the rookies are actually physically superior to the vets in most cases. I know in the case of Dez vs. Williams it would be a long day for Williams if he pissed Dez off! And Keith has lost his mind! I would bet MOST 1st round picks don't submit to this type of humiliation. Can you imagine Ndamukong Suh carrying someone elses pads?

Keith7
07-26-2010, 02:32 PM

Then by YOUR definition, you have described about 3/4 of professional athletes.

And I supposed you've never been guilty of any of the above transgressions. :rolleyes:

Would the label 'thug' apply to you?

Really? 3/4 of professional athletes lie to the NCAA? 3/4 of professional athletes call their dad a pimp then go crying to the media when someone asks if his mom is a prostitute? 3/4 of professional athlete have their own private pro day? 3/4 of professional athletes are habitually late to meetings and practices? 3/4 of professional athletes put themselves above the team? 3/4 of professional athletes make a big deal out of rookie hazing??

Give me a break.. Bryant DOES have character issues and he is a thug.. just wait, now that he's got a little bit of money this isn't going to get any better..

LE Dad
07-26-2010, 02:35 PM
It's completely different in High school than in the NFL. In high school they are kids and the difference between the incoming freshmen and the seniors is HUGE. But in the NFL there is not much difference between the rookies and the vets except for tenure. In fact most of the rookies are actually physically superior to the vets in most cases. I know in the case of Dez vs. Williams it would be a long day for Williams if he pissed Dez off! And Keith has lost his mind! I would bet MOST 1st round picks don't submit to this type of humiliation. Can you imagine Ndamukong Suh carrying someone elses pads? How bout a prison anaolgy then:confused: :confused:

The new guys there tend to submit.:D

Keith7
07-26-2010, 02:37 PM
It's completely different in High school than in the NFL. In high school they are kids and the difference between the incoming freshmen and the seniors is HUGE. But in the NFL there is not much difference between the rookies and the vets except for tenure. In fact most of the rookies are actually physically superior to the vets in most cases. I know in the case of Dez vs. Williams it would be a long day for Williams if he pissed Dez off! And Keith has lost his mind! I would bet MOST 1st round picks don't submit to this type of humiliation. Can you imagine Ndamukong Suh carrying someone elses pads?

Guess you've never watched hard knocks? EVERY rookie goes through this.. it's not something just aimed at Bryant

http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/ballhype/story_large/2009/08/05/rookie_hazing.jpg

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/orakpohaze1.jpg

http://www.panthers.com/assets/images/imported/CAR/photos/News/090820/dousing.jpg http://nybaseballdigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/RookieHazing2.jpg http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/dora.jpg

Pick6
07-26-2010, 02:38 PM
What's worse than a thug? If the classless one on here's definition is of a thug, what does that make a dog murderer? I'd rather have a thug, at his discription, represent my team than a murderer.

Ranger Mom
07-26-2010, 04:22 PM

That was a really good article....unlike Keith7, I am willing to give Dez a chance!!

Keith7.....I hope your heart isn't as black as it comes across on here, and that you really do have SOME compassion underneath that "tough" exterior!!

Txbroadcaster
07-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That was a really good article....unlike Keith7, I am willing to give Dez a chance!!

Keith7.....I hope your heart isn't as black as it comes across on here, and that you really do have SOME compassion underneath that "tough" exterior!!

oh dont worry RM..if Dez was an Eagle the compassion would be in full force

Emerson1
07-26-2010, 04:56 PM
I thought of a good point, maybe Dez was just clueless to know that this is something that has been a tradition. Someone posted pics of people tied up and wearing stupid costumes. That is completely different then the guy whose job you are stealing(heard Crayton did it too) throwing there pads down at you and making you carry them.

If this is anyone other then Roy Uno Uno Dez picks them up and takes them.

forum_guy
07-26-2010, 06:22 PM
So is this opinion?

Bryant has never been arrested. He's never had a drug problem. He's never had an alcohol problem. He's never had a problem with violence.

Last time i checked neither did TO...hmmm:thinking:

Txbroadcaster
07-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
Last time i checked neither did TO...hmmm:thinking:

and i would not call TO a thug

Keith7
07-26-2010, 07:07 PM
and i would not call TO a thug

I would.. A guy who calls his past QBs gay and quitters? A guy who yells at teammates and coaches when he doesn't get the ball?

thug

Txbroadcaster
07-26-2010, 07:11 PM
I would.. A guy who calls his past QBs gay and quitters? A guy who yells at teammates and coaches when he doesn't get the ball?

thug

what is ur definition of thug? you seem to throw it around

Keith7
07-26-2010, 07:13 PM

NateDawg39
07-26-2010, 07:18 PM
I heard Jerry Jones asks to carry Tony Romo's jock after practice.

BaseballUmp
07-26-2010, 07:24 PM
He was once a thug from around the way...slim thugga

BullsFan
07-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Isn't it just a little ironic for a fan of the EAGLES to be throwing a word like "thug" around as an insult?

garciap77
07-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Isn't it just a little ironic for a fan of the EAGLES to be throwing a word like "thug" around as an insult?

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Surprise/surprised-027.gif

gtownpoke
07-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Dez isn't a thug. I deal with thugs on a daily basis. Dez is a little kid. If he isn't busy (for example during onside kick practice) he picks up a ball and wants you to play catch with him for 5 minutes. At the same time, and this is probably how he views it, he isn't going to get punked. He doesn't care if rookies forever have done it. that's dez.
now me personally, i wish he would have just picked up the freaking pads. I think it's cool he stood up for it and all that, but this is the last thing he needs right now. he needs to continue to show up early and stay late and do what he's told.

MJMbrahmas10
07-26-2010, 11:14 PM
i always thought thug meant criminal background, robbing, muggin, fightin, shootin, fightin dogs, etc. what about when desean showed off when he was going to score the TD against the cowboys his rookie year and threw the ball down before he scored. what was that? he put his team in jeopardy just so he could do something fancy and get all the spotlight. you are very ignorant keith but the other word

skins4life
07-26-2010, 11:22 PM
No, Roy needs to step back and realize that unless he gets his ass in gear he'll be carrying his helmet around the sideline in a ballcap watching Dez start.

Agreed. I don't see where RW has earned the right to have anyone carry his pads, especially someone who will take his job by the third game of the season if not sooner.

LE Dad
07-26-2010, 11:30 PM
what is ur definition of thug? you seem to throw it around from Keith 7s Dictionary: Thug- Anyone whos actions might make the Eagles look even more helpless than they already do... i.e. Dez Bryant.

Pick6
07-27-2010, 06:50 AM
from Keith 7s Dictionary: Thug- Anyone whos actions might make the Eagles look even more helpless than they already do... i.e. Dez Bryant.

Another keith saying: I don't want someone on my team that got scared and told a lie. I want someone on my team that murders dogs, then lies about it.

District303aPastPlayer
07-28-2010, 04:01 PM
"Hazing is a term used to describe various ritual and other activities involving harassment, abuse or humiliation used as a way of initiating a person into a group."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazing

Q:
"so by ur argument what has Dez done in his career to say no?"

A:
It's quite simple TX. He has become an adult. When you become an adult you have aquired the right and ability to make a decision as to what you will or will not allow yourself to subjected to. You wieght the pros and cons of an activity like this and decide if it provides any benefits at all except for the pleasure received by the older players who feel the need to demonstrate the ONLY area of superiority they can demonstrate. (tenure)!

being 40 doesnt make you an adult as much as standing in a garage makes you a car, not standing in a church makes you a catholic.

garciap77
07-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
being 40 doesnt make you an adult as much as standing in a garage makes you a car, not standing in a church makes you a catholic.

No need to bring Religion into this!

Ranger Mom
07-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Another keith saying: I don't want someone on my team that got scared and told a lie. I want someone on my team that murders dogs, then lies about it.

Ohh...good one!!

Old Tiger
07-28-2010, 04:53 PM
I've never liked Roy Williams since I read an article about him where younger team mates of his at Texas said he would never help them or answer their questions as well as making fun of a serious medical condition of one of his team mates at the University of Texas.

BullsFan
07-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Well if nothing else, Roy Williams has proved to be a better sport about this than anyone else involved, and that includes both Dez Bryant and the media. He's done nothing but try and downplay the whole incident all week, including absolving Dez of any kind of blame.

gtownpoke
07-28-2010, 07:59 PM
except roy williams was the one that brought it up to the media in the first place. if he wouldn't have said anything nobody would have known

BullsFan
07-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Didn't this all happen right in front of a member of the press? I've seen the video where it actually happened. I don't think Roy brought it up. What makes you believe that he did?

Old Tiger
07-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Well if nothing else, Roy Williams has proved to be a better sport about this than anyone else involved, and that includes both Dez Bryant and the media. He's done nothing but try and downplay the whole incident all week, including absolving Dez of any kind of blame. How else does he do it...he got punked by a rookie.

Spread It Out
07-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

Yes it does, turning 18 makes you an adult.

Ranger Mom
07-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Yes it does, turning 18 makes you an adult.

Maybe in the eyes of the law....I have seen very few 18 y/o KIDS that I would consider an adult mentally!

Old Tiger
07-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Maybe in the eyes of the law....I have seen very few 18 y/o KIDS that I would consider an adult mentally! actually in the eyes of the law you can be young as 16 and be tried as an adult

Macarthur
07-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I thought of a good point, maybe Dez was just clueless to know that this is something that has been a tradition. Someone posted pics of people tied up and wearing stupid costumes. That is completely different then the guy whose job you are stealing(heard Crayton did it too) throwing there pads down at you and making you carry them.

If this is anyone other then Roy Uno Uno Dez picks them up and takes them.

Actually, it has been reported that Dez didn't know what was going on. Dez has since carried some pads and supposidly done other things. I think it's very reasonable to think that he didn't really know and thought that RW was punking him seeing as how he's trying to take Roy's job.

I would bet that if Romo or Ware or Ratliff dropped their pads at Dez's feet, he would have carried them and not said a word. I truly think the kid thought Roy was trying to show him up.

waterboy
07-29-2010, 11:18 AM
:iagree: Me, too. I think that's exactly what happened.

DDBooger
07-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Dez injured his ankle and was helped off the field today.

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d819675a3/article/cowboys-rookie-bryant-sprains-right-ankle-is-helped-off-field