PDA

View Full Version : I knew it would start a precedent!

Farmersfan
07-22-2010, 03:40 PM
I knew the big 3 teaming up for less money in Miami was going to set off a chain reaction that would alter the NBA greatly. It has already been slowly evolving into a league where star players bleed a team dry for 10 or so years and sqeeze them for every penny they can get and then towards the twilight of their careers they agree to way below market value to play for a already talented team just to get the ring. Now players in their prime are recognizing that they must team up with other "franchise" players in order to even attempt to try to compete. I believe the owners will FIX this before the next CBA is agreed to. I say the owners will establish a rule that a player must play for the highest bidder if they take their free agency. The whole reason behind the players getting free agency in the first place is because the players asked for the ablility to test the market to establish their market value. It's only fair.
Any comments?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Chris-Paul-leaving-New-Orleans-?urn=nba-257473

Gsquared
07-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Ehh its basketball. I wish theyd all just get menengitis and go away.

Gsquared
07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Ehh its basketball. I wish theyd all just get menengitis and go away.
Sorry , that was in poor taste. Maybe I should have said "I wish theyd get the flu and go away"

Txbroadcaster
07-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I knew the big 3 teaming up for less money in Miami was going to set off a chain reaction that would alter the NBA greatly. It has already been slowly evolving into a league where star players bleed a team dry for 10 or so years and sqeeze them for every penny they can get and then towards the twilight of their careers they agree to way below market value to play for a already talented team just to get the ring. Now players in their prime are recognizing that they must team up with other "franchise" players in order to even attempt to try to compete. I believe the owners will FIX this before the next CBA is agreed to. I say the owners will establish a rule that a player must play for the highest bidder if they take their free agency. The whole reason behind the players getting free agency in the first place is because the players asked for the ablility to test the market to establish their market value. It's only fair.
Any comments?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Chris-Paul-leaving-New-Orleans-?urn=nba-257473

Why would owners make them play for highest bidder? That makes no sense..the way it is now the Owners benefit..Now the Player's Union might not like how it is right now cause the money is being lost.

But I dont see how you can MAKE someone play for highest bidder.

Pick6
07-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Can't the original team offer the most because of the Bird Rights?

poisoned10
07-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Let's face it. This isn't a "Big 3" issue, it's a LeBron issue. Everyone is upset he didn't go to "their" team.

Dwayne Wade did what he thought was best for his own and his team by taking less money to bring better players in. LeBron did what he though was best for him by taking less money to join a team he thought had a better chance at winning a championship. Chris Bosh did the same.

I don't see any problems here. People complain all of the time that it's all about the money and not the team or winning when they leave their team for more money. But then people flip it around and complain that it's not fair because a player takes less money to join a team to try to win a championship.

Catch 22.

95mustang
07-22-2010, 04:52 PM
What I don't get is why everyone is so upset about this? They haven't won anything yet. All they have done is better their chances. If they take less money to better their chances of a title then maybe more athletes should do the same. Everything is not always about the no so mighty dollar. Maybe the NBA championship means something to them also.

Spread It Out
07-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
Let's face it. This isn't a "Big 3" issue, it's a LeBron issue. Everyone is upset he didn't go to "their" team.

Dwayne Wade did what he thought was best for his own and his team by taking less money to bring better players in. LeBron did what he though was best for him by taking less money to join a team he thought had a better chance at winning a championship. Chris Bosh did the same.

I don't see any problems here. People complain all of the time that it's all about the money and not the team or winning when they leave their team for more money. But then people flip it around and complain that it's not fair because a player takes less money to join a team to try to win a championship.

Catch 22.

I agree. Also, it doesn't make sense to force a player to play for the highest bidder-that's almost entrapment. You're restricting a player from going out and playing for another team just because you can offer more money?

eagles_victory
07-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Lebron is being unfairly critcized by the media and fans. Im a huge Lebron fan but even I had a problem with the self promotion of the one hour special so if you want to complain about that then fine, but other than that he did nothing wrong.

Maroon87
07-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Lebron is being unfairly critcized by the media and fans. Im a huge Lebron fan but even I had a problem with the self promotion of the one hour special so if you want to complain about that then fine, but other than that he did nothing wrong.

It's obviously his right to choose whatever team he wants as a FA...but the handling of it was so poor it defies imagination.