PDA

View Full Version : FSN wants to televise all championship games

HEMOTOXIC
07-21-2010, 07:14 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/7117163.html

Fox Sports Net has annually broadcast the Class 5A state football championships since 1992 and the network is optimistic that it will do so again this year and wants to expand its coverage to all the title games.

The University Interscholastic League put out a request for proposals for the broadcast rights for the championship games, most of which will be held at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington. The UIL has not made a decision on the rights, but FSN wants to continue its relationship according to Fox Sports Southwest senior vice president and general manager Jon Heidtke.

"Our goal is to do all the games," Heidtke said. "Obviously all the games are not at the same place but our intent is to televise every championship game."

The 3A, 4A and 5A championship games will be at Cowboys Stadium while the 1A and 2A title games will be at Vernon Newsom Stadium in Mansfield. The six-man title games will be Abilene’s Shotwell Stadium.

Heidtke said that FSN’s goal would be to treat all the games as a big-time event with week-long promotion of a state championship week.

"We want to do something that would celebrate championship week in Texas," Heidtke said.

Fox Sports Southwest announced that it will kick off its high school football coverage this season with the Kirk Herbstreit Varsity Football Series on Labor Day. The quadruple header, which will also be played at Cowboys Stadium, is filled with four intriguing matchups: Euless Trinity vs. Shiloh Christian (Ark.), Cedar Hill vs. Denton Guyer, Dallas Skyline vs. St. Thomas Aquinas (Fla.) and Arlington Bowie vs. DeSoto.

Maroon87
07-21-2010, 07:49 AM
I hope they are able to get this done. What better way to celebrate the national sport of Texas?:cool:

Gsquared
07-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I hope they are able to get this done. What better way to celebrate the national sport of Texas?:cool:
True, will make it like a holliday weekend!

Matthew328
07-21-2010, 10:02 AM
It's already a holiday weekend....I've already got the time off requested!

XMan
07-21-2010, 10:11 AM
All championship games or all football championship games???? It would be nice to see some baseball or basketball championship games. Does FSN know that the UIL has those? Again, the liberal media doing its darndest to keep sports other than football down.

Bull Butter
07-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Personally, I'd like to see the 6-Man Championship game televised. There's a lot of folks out there who have never seen a 6-Man game.

Pawdaddy
07-21-2010, 10:52 AM
I guess I will have to get a new DVD burner. This could turn into quite a library in just a few years!

Emerson1
07-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by XMan
All championship games or all football championship games???? It would be nice to see some baseball or basketball championship games. Does FSN know that the UIL has those? Again, the liberal media doing its darndest to keep sports other than football down.
They do show some of the basketball and baseball.

Matthew328
07-21-2010, 11:00 AM

LOL its all about supply and demand...if enough baseball folks clammor more maybe it gets done...I know basketball is shown...

XMan
07-21-2010, 11:01 AM
They show basketball and baseball 5a only. The 5a baseball is so poorly produced its pathetic. It would be better if they would just use some mom's home video. 1 maybe 2 camera angles, terrible announcers really bad work on the production.

Matthew328
07-21-2010, 11:14 AM
FSN is a business, lets not beat around the bush and act like they are in it for the kids...they aren't...this is about making money...if baseball was a money maker for them it'd be on more, those be the breaks.

wimbo_pro
07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
They show basketball and baseball 5a only. The 5a baseball is so poorly produced its pathetic. It would be better if they would just use some mom's home video. 1 maybe 2 camera angles, terrible announcers really bad work on the production.
If they can do as good of a job as they did last night with the all star game, all would be cool.

Gsquared
07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
It's already a holiday weekend....I've already got the time off requested!
Well, since I had to burn a week and a half of vacation to get married (freaking dumb ass idea to waste vacation on a wedding) I only had a couple of weeks left that I had to use for the regular season and a couple of playoff days. Ima have to be sick a couple of days

Maroon87
07-21-2010, 11:19 AM

The 5A baseball game this past year was a UIL production that FSN picked up. Obviously, TV production value isn't the UIL's top priority.

Matthew328
07-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah why in the hell would you burn vacation for a wedding..LOL

What you could do is just do a 1/2 day on 12/17....first game isn't til 4...I'm just saying.....or come down w/a myseterious case of food poisoning....LOL

XMan
07-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Im betting there are a few Calallen fans that would have enjoyed seeing the 4A baseball game.

Matthew328
07-21-2010, 11:49 AM
I am sure there were a few...or were they all at the game?

Gsquared
07-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Yeah why in the hell would you burn vacation for a wedding..LOL

What you could do is just do a 1/2 day on 12/17....first game isn't til 4...I'm just saying.....or come down w/a myseterious case of food poisoning....LOL
I already got it planned. Im going to call in with S.I.D.S

pirate4state
07-21-2010, 12:07 PM

:bigcry: :weeping: :rolleyes: :crying:

Maroon87
07-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Im betting there are a few Calallen fans that would have enjoyed seeing the 4A baseball game.

True...but this past year there would've been a lot of smashed TV's around Calallen when the game was over.

:doh: ;)

Emerson1
07-21-2010, 12:58 PM
They should have gone then.

eagles_victory
07-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Well, since I had to burn a week and a half of vacation to get married (freaking dumb ass idea to waste vacation on a wedding) She must of had extremly high expectations for you... hope you delivered.

Gsquared
07-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
She must of had extremly high expectations for you... hope you delivered.
Kinda sorta but prolly came up short