PDA

View Full Version : What position did you play at in football?

orange machine
07-21-2010, 04:40 AM
I started out as a qb in 7th and 8th grade and was moved to linebacker my freshman year. My sophmore year I started out playing linebacker on the jv and got moved up to the varsity and was on the special teams. My junior and senior years I started at linebacker and was the backup qb.

orange machine
07-21-2010, 04:41 AM
By the way I think I pretty much blew at qb!

GrTigers6
07-21-2010, 06:04 AM
I played cb, 2nd string B Team in 7th grade for allen. then moved to Santa Anna for 8th grade( major culture change lol) and played QB and CB that year and then thru high school played reciever and cb and nose tackle. I can always say I never threw an incompletion. I threw two extra points for completions. :D

BILLYFRED0000
07-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
I played cb, 2nd string B Team in 7th grade for allen. then moved to Santa Anna for 8th grade( major culture change lol) and played QB and CB that year and then thru high school played reciever and cb and nose tackle. I can always say I never threw an incompletion. I threw two extra points for completions. :D

Santa Anna would be major. I grew up in Bronte on the west side of Ballinger.
Played fullback and cb. Liked d the best.
My son is the same way. Cept he will probably be better than I ever was. Better coaching at a younger age and he really wants to be a Bobcat.

Maroon87
07-21-2010, 07:46 AM
I played every position on the o-line at some point (even TE for a year in youth league) but I spent most of my time at center.

On defense, I played LB, DE, and DT.

BEAST
07-21-2010, 08:31 AM
7th - 9th grade I was RB/MLB. Soph year I moved up to varsity and played Wingback and did all the special teams. JR year started out at TE, but ended up playing OLB/DE. Sr year I played OLB/DE and RB.

BEAST

gatordaze
07-21-2010, 08:49 AM
I played Center from third grade through high school and was a long snapper in college.

I am a third generation center follwing my father and his father. I was determined to develop the 4th generation. I even went as far as teaching one of my sons to long snap at 5 years old. We would play snap catch instead of passing the ball back and forth and to this day he cant throw a football right because he tends to wrap his hand over the ball and snap his wrist like a snap.

To my dismay, it looks like my dream of passing on the legacy may die as my son is too tall at 6'5" for being a center and now plays DT and OT. He has great feet and should develop to be a really good OT in the next 3 years. He will always have his long snapping to fall back on if nothing else.

BILLYFRED0000
07-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
I played Center from third grade through high school and was a long snapper in college.

I am a third generation center follwing my father and his father. I was determined to develop the 4th generation. I even went as far as teaching one of my sons to long snap at 5 years old. We would play snap catch instead of passing the ball back and forth and to this day he cant throw a football right because he tends to wrap his hand over the ball and snap his wrist like a snap.

To my dismay, it looks like my dream of passing on the legacy may die as my son is too tall at 6'5" for being a center and now plays DT and OT. He has great feet and should develop to be a really good OT in the next 3 years. He will always have his long snapping to fall back on if nothing else.

He just got too big gator..... Looks good on the line tho.... He can play.

poisoned10
07-21-2010, 08:56 AM
The 1 year I played, I was the back-up QB and was also a WR/DB.

I have 1 TD reception in my career and I will never forget it.

Phil C
07-21-2010, 09:04 AM
I played WR but basically if you look at any bench at a football game you will know where I spent most of my time. :)

ronwx5x
07-21-2010, 09:12 AM
I notice you asked what position did one play AT. I played AT RB and DB. Not good at either, but I had fun!:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-21-2010, 09:19 AM
I played Defensive End from 7th grade until my Senior year. Then in college I played Inside and Outside Linebacker, and a little bit of the hybrid "Jack" position which was a mix between Linebacker and Defensive End.

GrTigers6
07-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Santa Anna would be major. I grew up in Bronte on the west side of Ballinger.
Played fullback and cb. Liked d the best.
My son is the same way. Cept he will probably be better than I ever was. Better coaching at a younger age and he really wants to be a Bobcat. When did you graduate from bronte? I played 1986-1988

hollywood
07-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6

Man what a dust bowl. Bet you still have goat head scars from all the times you got tackled on those fields.

I lived in Aransas Pass my 7th and 8th grade years. Then moved to Brownwood the summer before my 9th grade year. What an improvement, huh???? AP was purple and gold!!:ack!:

7th grade, played striker. Skipped Jr High football season to play "European" football. Yeh, soccer. Already committed to a select team so had to finish out the season.

8th grade, didn't know much about organized ball so they put me at DE and said get the QB. Learned quickly though and then they clocked my 40 and decided to put me at RB/DB.

Played RB and DB for the greatest high school football program in the country.

No college ball for me. Knee injury in game against Stephenville:mad:hindered those dreams.

GrTigers6
07-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by hollywood
Man what a dust bowl. Bet you still have goat head scars from all the times you got tackled on those fields.

I lived in Aransas Pass my 7th and 8th grade years. Then moved to Brownwood the summer before my 9th grade year. What an improvement, huh???? AP was purple and gold!!:ack!:

7th grade, played striker. Skipped Jr High football season to play "European" football. Yeh, soccer. Already committed to a select team so had to finish out the season.

8th grade, didn't know much about organized ball so they put me at DE and said get the QB. Learned quickly though and then they clocked my 40 and decided to put me at RB/DB.

Played RB and DB for the greatest high school football program in the country.
No college ball for me. Knee injury in game against Stephenville:mad:hindered those dreams. Yeah Rochelle's field was the worst. It was an old rodeo arena that they let the grass grow in. Sad thing is we had the best field in the district and it sucked.
:)

Ernest T Bass
07-21-2010, 10:59 AM
RB until we switched from a wing-T offense to the spread my Jr year. Switched to DL last two years of HS. Signed as a LB in college, figured out that I was still too small for LB, so I dropped 15 lbs and went back to RB.

Old Tiger
07-21-2010, 11:00 AM
peewee - FB/TE in a wishbone style offense
7th-12th WR/CB

Matthew328
07-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Small forward..ohh crap

Ernest T Bass
07-21-2010, 11:36 AM
We're only talking about mens' sports, here.

Txbroadcaster
07-21-2010, 11:42 AM
LB/FB then played a Hybrid LB my JR year..had to quit after JR cause knees were bad and baseball was my scholarship sport

95mustang
07-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Defensive Tackle and every position on the offensive line, but mostly center and guard. During my sophmore year while on JV I played fullback some in the wishbone when we were on the goal line. Never carried the ball just blocked. Scored one defensive TD on a fumble in the endzone during a sack. The ball fell into my arms as I was on the ground already. :D

Sville
07-21-2010, 02:24 PM
I played TE and MLB in 9th at Lakeview Centennial. My mom moved across the lake to Rockwall during the Christmas break and I was playing QB that whole off-season. I moved back to Sville to live with my dad during that summer.

The first day of two-a-days as a soph at Sville I practiced with the QBs. After I watched Brandon Stewart practice I went to coach and asked him where else do you need players at. ;) He put me with the WR's and LBs. I practiced for a week there and then coach came to me and said "One of our starting OL & DL didn't show up for 2-a-days." He said, "You can stay where you are and share reps are play his spot and play both ways." That was a no brainer. I chose to play iron man Soph team ball.

Unfortunately 5 games into my season I sustained the terrible triad knee injury. I tore the PCL, MCL, & ACL. I was going to be moved up to JV the following week which made it even worse. I made it back my JR year and played strictly RT. My senior year I wanted to play TE but Coach Briles wouldnt let me move. We were thin on OL that year as our LG only weighed in at 160 but everyone of us could run a 4.8 or better on the OL. Anyways I was the starting RT on the 1992, 10-4 Qtr. Finalist Stephenville Yellow Jackets. And damn proud of it too.

Ex-Tiger2005
07-21-2010, 02:28 PM
OL, where the men play? :cool:

BaseballUmp
07-21-2010, 02:33 PM
7th and 8th grade FB Center and ILB scored 4 tds and like 6-7 extra points lol

9-10 Center ILB

11-12 ILB

Never really played much wasnt really my sport at all just something to do to stay in shape and hang with my friends

baseball was where it was at

LE Dad
07-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Played OG and DE in JH. Thickened up in 10th and moved to FB (which was a glorified guard) and NG. Our coaching staff switched to the veer and some gawd awful defense that just totally ruined my Sr year, but they were fired shortly thereafter...

Trashman
07-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Played in Mason, Texas

7th grade QB and LB in a split 4 defense.

8th Grade QB and DE, broke the femur of my left leg, during the 5th game and kept playing. Didn't tell my parents for fear that I would not be allowed to play football anymore.

Freshman year TE and DE.

During my physical for my Sophomore year Doc said if I wanted to continue running track and cross country, I would have to quit football. So I joined the band and played drums. It all worked out, got a music scholarship.:D

Eagle 1
07-21-2010, 03:32 PM
I played at Goldthwaite.

Played wide reciever and corner back in jr high.

Was moved to outside linebacker on JV and Varsity and some tightend.

Trashman, what years did you play at Mason? We might have played each other.

BleedOrange
07-21-2010, 03:37 PM
HS: RB and LB
College: SS moved to WB

BaseballUmp
07-21-2010, 03:49 PM
a few highlight videos I found

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HrSN7176XI)

Trashman
07-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
I played at Goldthwaite.

Played wide reciever and corner back in jr high.

Was moved to outside linebacker on JV and Varsity and some tightend.

Trashman, what years did you play at Mason? We might have played each other.

mid 70's:D

Matthew328
07-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Sville
I played TE and MLB in 9th at Lakeview Centennial. My mom moved across the lake to Rockwall during the Christmas break and I was playing QB that whole off-season. I moved back to Sville to live with my dad during that summer.

The first day of two-a-days as a soph at Sville I practiced with the QBs. After I watched Brandon Stewart practice I went to coach and asked him where else do you need players at. ;) He put me with the WR's and LBs. I practiced for a week there and then coach came to me and said "One of our starting OL & DL didn't show up for 2-a-days." He said, "You can stay where you are and share reps are play his spot and play both ways." That was a no brainer. I chose to play iron man Soph team ball.

Unfortunately 5 games into my season I sustained the terrible triad knee injury. I tore the PCL, MCL, & ACL. I was going to be moved up to JV the following week which made it even worse. I made it back my JR year and played strictly RT. My senior year I wanted to play TE but Coach Briles wouldnt let me move. We were thin on OL that year as our LG only weighed in at 160 but everyone of us could run a 4.8 or better on the OL. Anyways I was the starting RT on the 1992, 10-4 Qtr. Finalist Stephenville Yellow Jackets. And damn proud of it too.

As EC Wrekkas and BULLRED would say....Did you get any ArtDust sprinkled on you??

coach
07-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze

so basically your family is fat

Ernest T Bass
07-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
As EC Wrekkas and BULLRED would say....Did you get any ArtDust sprinkled on you??

Enough Artdust could cure AIDS.

garciap77
07-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
a few highlight videos I found

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HrSN7176XI)

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Disgusting/vomit-6.gif

;)

hollywood
07-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Played in Mason, Texas

7th grade QB and LB in a split 4 defense.

8th Grade QB and DE, broke the femur of my left leg, during the 5th game and kept playing. Didn't tell my parents for fear that I would not be allowed to play football anymore.

Freshman year TE and DE.

During my physical for my Sophomore year Doc said if I wanted to continue running track and cross country, I would have to quit football. So I joined the band and played drums. It all worked out, got a music scholarship.:D

The Cowpunchers!! Yeah!!

hollywood
07-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Enough Artdust could cure AIDS.

Or some refer to the "Bodies by Art" era... don't know what that's suppose to mean.

Global Swarming
07-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I played tail back.

Eagle 1
07-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
mid 70's:D

Not much before, I graduated in 84.;)

gatordaze
07-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by coach
so basically your family is fat

Not so much...

My Grandfather and Father probably never broke 180 in their playing days. I played at 205 in high school and 265 in college, and my son that is a lineman is around 230 and ripped. Not a fatty in the bunch.

DDBooger
07-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by coach
so basically your family is fat lmao

DDBooger
07-21-2010, 07:13 PM
G/DE/DT

Pudlugger
07-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Right tackle on offense and nose guard and defensive tackle on defense back in the day when the face mask was a single bar. I have the broken nose to prove it. "Oh, you forgot your mouthpiece cupcake", well suck it up and spit out the teeth, we're playing football here not checkers. 1964.:D

garciap77
07-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Right tackle on offense and nose guard and defensive tackle on defense back in the day when the face mask was a single bar. I have the broken nose to prove it. "Oh, you forgot your mouthpiece cupcake", well suck it up and spit out the teeth, we're playing football here not checkers. 1964.:D

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Rabid Cougar
07-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Cameron Yoemen
Running back and LB in 7th and 8th grade
TE and LB as a Freshman
Inside/Outside LB and OT on Varsity from Soph. to Sr. Year
(3 A State Champion Sr Year '81)

Texas A&M
3 years on 12th man Kick Off Team (When it was actually was a team) and Outside LB. (SWC Champions 85 and 86)