PDA

View Full Version : Roy Oswalt to Philly?

SHSBulldog00
07-20-2010, 10:11 PM
The Phillies are interested in acquiring Oswalt.

Many teams have downplayed the possibility Oswalt would get traded at all, because he is owed more than $7 million for the rest of this year and $16 million next year, in addition to either a $16-million option or $2-million buyout for 2012.

However, the Phillies are looking to trade for a starting pitcher they can control beyond this year. And if they were to move Werth's salary (about $3.5 million for the rest of this year) and the Astros pick up several million dollars of Oswalt's money, it would even out the dollars for the rest of this season.

No particular names have been mentioned but outfielder Jayson Werth and last year's rookie-of-the-year runner-up, J.A. Happ, who is currently pitching in Triple-A to work his way back from a forearm strain are possibilities.

SintonFan_inAustin
07-20-2010, 10:14 PM
i seem to recall Roy only having two teams he would accept a trade to, Rangers was one but dont think the other was a east coast team.;)

Astrosdawg07
07-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Deal doesn't make a lot sense for the Astros in that Werth will walk at the end of the year. And Happ is unproven! I think we will be able to get more at the deadline especially with the Yanks losing Pettitte for an extended period of time.

Maroon87
07-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
i seem to recall Roy only having two teams he would accept a trade to, Rangers was one but dont think the other was a east coast team.;)

I thought Atlanta was the other?:thinking:

As an Astro fan, I'd take Werth and Happ. Hopefully they could get them to re-up for a couple more years beyond their current deal.

It would make things much easier if Carlos Lee (and his contract) wasn't basically untradeable.:mad:

Dogman_1969
07-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Sounds like something the Stros would do. There are lots of top major league players that the Stros have let go of. One on the main reasons I quit watching the games......

SHSBulldog00
07-22-2010, 09:39 PM
The St. Louis Cardinals and the Philadelphia Phillies have emerged as the two prime contenders in the Roy Oswalt auction.

The Cardinals offered two young players off their major-league roster for Oswalt. Among the prospects the Astros are likely to press for: last year's No. 1 pick, 19-year-old right-hander Shelby Miller.

The Phillies, meanwhile, are thought to have offered pitcher J.A. Happ and a list of younger prospects for the Astros to choose from. But Houston is looking for higher-ceiling young players, particularly a catcher and/or corner infielders, than the names on that list.

Txbroadcaster
07-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
Sounds like something the Stros would do. There are lots of top major league players that the Stros have let go of. One on the main reasons I quit watching the games......

See I think Houston held on to long to many players that would have gave them some great minor league talent

Looking4number8
07-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
The Cardinals offered two young players off their major-league roster for Oswalt. Among the prospects the Astros are likely to press for: last year's No. 1 pick, 19-year-old right-hander Shelby Miller.

That would be Brownwood's Shelby Miller

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2010/07/shelby_miller_w.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Fsportsjust ice+%28SportsJustice%29

SWMustang
07-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
See I think Houston held on to long to many players that would have gave them some great minor league talent

absolutely - Bagwell and Biggio

Maroon87
07-29-2010, 11:44 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5418615

crzyjournalist03
07-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Happ is a solid pitcher with a good ceiling. Not a bad move for Houston if Oswalt agrees to it.