PDA

View Full Version : Best NFL RB (History)

SHSBulldog00
07-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Thought it would interesting to have a poll about the best RB in NFL History. Should open up some lively conversation.

Footballhudini
07-18-2010, 12:41 PM
oj simpson

Txbroadcaster
07-18-2010, 12:41 PM
IMO there is not ONE.

Emmit was the best pure producer in history..He was almost auto for 100-120 2 TDS

Sanders was one of the most exciting to watch

Jim Brown was the most physcally awesome RB

Payton was just a machine.

Also Earl Cambell had an amazing 4 year window

Sweetwater Red
07-18-2010, 12:45 PM
This guy...:thumbsup:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/Barry-1.jpg

Old Tiger
07-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Jim Brown....

Cameron Crazy
07-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Barry Sanders should win this one.

Txbroadcaster
07-18-2010, 02:16 PM
I cant give it to Sanders outright..just to many negative plays..he was exciting, but not someone I would want in a must win game

OldBison75
07-18-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure you can outright vote any one of these as the best of all time because there is so much difference in the game of football between Jim Brown and Emmitt Smith.

I voted for Walter Peyton because he was the Chicago Bears offense for so many years. He was never surrounded by great lineman, a great QB, or even a cast of supporting offensive weapons. BUT, he produced on the field and gave 100 percent every play. You never heard him complain and you never heard about him being in any kind of trouble. Plus, he was not the pro size and still could go up the middle, off tackle, or wide and make things happen. I just loved to watch him play.

wimbo_pro
07-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Hmmm...no earl Campbell.

JasperDog94
07-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I cant give it to Sanders outright..just to many negative plays..he was exciting, but not someone I would want in a must win game I can't either. I think Sanders was a great running back. One of the best, but heart has to count for something. He quit on his team. Granted they sucked, but a great player doesn't quit his team like that.

Looking4number8
07-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Wow, tough choice, I love me some Emmit Smith but thats because I am a homer.... I voted for sweetness because when it came time to get that extra yard (or 20 yards) to win, he seemed to put the team on his shoulder and get it.... and make everyone around him bettter in the process.

If you dont think he make people better think about how Jim McMan (sp) would have been without Walter

Eagle 1
07-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Emmitt just because he was the toughest back ever IMO.
He very seldom got hurt and besides he is the only running back to ever win a Super Bowl championship, the NFL Most Valuable Player award, the NFL rushing crown, and the Super Bowl Most Valuable Player award all in the same season (1993). :clap:

coach
07-18-2010, 09:23 PM
emmitt smith was the best back ever bc he was the most complete...i hate when ppl say barry bc he never scored td's...emmit scored ran blocked caught out of the back field...he did it all....sure some backs did stuff better than emmit but emmit was the most complete

BleedOrange
07-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Emmitt is nowhere near the back of the others in the poll. I am a Cowboy homer but he might not even make my top 10. He had longevity over the others but that's it.

bigwood33
07-18-2010, 09:39 PM
We have this same discussion every 6 months or so and you youngsters almost always want to debate whether Emmit or Barry was the greatest. They were not, Jim Brown was and Walter Peyton the 2nd greatest. Big Jim played in the NFL 9 years and led the league in rushing 7 times! He was 1st Team All Pro 8 times. He was the league MVP 4 times. In 118 career games he rushed for 12,312 with a 5.2 yards per carry average. Here is one list that supports my position.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-NFL-Running-Backs

SHSBulldog00
07-18-2010, 11:51 PM
I agree with bigwood on this Jim Brown missed a couple of years while he was in the Army.

ivchris
07-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Earl Campbell.........hands down. He was a 1 man wrecking ball. Got to meet him in San Angelo when the Oilers had their training camp there. Nicest guy you could ever meet and hands the size of a baseball glove.

Farmersfan
07-19-2010, 08:11 AM
I think you have to define the parameters a little more. If you want the most talented back in history then I would vote Berry Sanders or Galye Sayers. If you want the most imposing or physical back then Earl Campbell or Jim Brown would be my pick. (followed closely by Larry Csonka or John Riggins). For just an overall running back I might chose Eric Dickerson, Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith or Tony Dorsett. But I do have a tough time voting Emmitt in because he played most of his career with one of the most dominating O-lines in NFL history. But his numbers don't lie, he was a great back. But GREATEST of all time is so subjective and many could be given this title. For me it would probably be Walter Payton or Barry Sanders.

Old Tiger
07-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
I agree with bigwood on this Jim Brown missed a couple of years while he was in the Army. And he retired early....only played 9 seasons!

big daddy russ
07-19-2010, 03:23 PM
"Best" is tough.

Gale Sayers was the best pure runner of all-time. Better in that respect than even Barry Sanders.

Earl Campbell may have been the best overall in a small window.

Marshall Faulk revolutionized the game by turning the RB position into something you have to worry about on both running and passing downs. LaDanian Tomlinson is on that same level.

Jim Brown may have been the best for his career. He was a 6'2" 232-lb fullback that played five decades ago who ran like a 5'10" 205-lb halfback today.

Red Grange was a man among men. If it wasn't for him, there wouldn't be an NFL to watch. Sportswriter Grantland Rice wrote, "Grange runs as (Paavo) Nurmi runs and moves as (Jack) Dempsey moves, as a shadow flits and drifts and darts."

Eric Dickerson was probably the most complete modern back to play out a full career. OJ Simpson called Dickerson "the best I've seen, and I mean ever."

Ollie Matson was possibly the fastest man to ever tote the rock.

Emmitt was a model of consistency. A jack-of-all trades type who could do everything well but nothing exceptional...except avoid direct hits, enjoy a long career, and destroy just about every rushing record.

My money is on Jim Brown, but it all depends on what you're looking for.

BEAST
07-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Im not advocating Emmitt as the greatest ever. However, all this talk of jack of all trades and master of none is crazy. Yes he benefited from a huge oline, but every oline was huge, still is. He wasnt the fastest, however, he was cat quick. He wasnt the strongest but arm tackling wasnt going to get him. One thing he was was tough. As tough as any running back to ever tote the rock. When he played against the Giants with a dislocated shoulder and still put the team on his back down the stretch, that did it for me. He may not be the best, but he is among them.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
07-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Emmit Smith's O-Line benefited from him as much as he benefited from them.

bigwood33
07-19-2010, 05:01 PM
You are 100% correct. None of those guys were gaining All-Pro or Pro Bowl awards before Emmitt OR after him. They were great and so was he, together.

GTownballer
07-19-2010, 09:58 PM
The best, well the best you have to go to the numbers, and let them speak for themselves, hands down Emmit Smith, he rings the bell as the best, has to, he's got more yards, than anyone!

Now the most fun to watch, that's another category, OJ could run 250 yards on one play, sideline to sideline, you always knew, he was fixing to take it to the house, even if he had to go New York to LA to do it....sad that his legacy, will not be remembered for that! most elusive back i ever witnessed!

Looking4number8
07-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by ivchris
Earl Campbell.........hands down. He was a 1 man wrecking ball. Got to meet him in San Angelo when the Oilers had their training camp there. Nicest guy you could ever meet and hands the size of a baseball glove.
I was in college at Angelo State University when the Oilers trained there. I was at the 7-11 when he drove up in his "scoal mobile". He steped out wearing nothing but a pair of grey shorts.. let me tell you, that was a MAN! Lord that boy was big and strong.

Some the other Oilers I met that year were Dave Casper, Archie Manning and I think his name was Dan Pastarani... Others too but those were the ones I was in awe of!

Farmersfan
07-20-2010, 08:42 AM

What do you suppose a Walter Peyton or Barry Sanders would have done behind THAT O-line and with Troy and Micheal behind them?

BEAST
07-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
What do you suppose a Walter Peyton or Barry Sanders would have done behind THAT O-line and with Troy and Micheal behind them?

Dont forget Moose! We all know those guys would have put up big #s as well. But, you cant discount what Emmitt did because his team was good. Part of being a great back is learning how your blockers work and being patient.

BEAST

Farmersfan
07-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
Dont forget Moose! We all know those guys would have put up big #s as well. But, you cant discount what Emmitt did because his team was good. Part of being a great back is learning how your blockers work and being patient.

BEAST

I certainly think Emmitt would be top 5 for sure! We can't discount his ability to stay healthy and his heart! He had a great knack for slipping through the hits that would contact most other backs. We can't say that the other backs would have gotten into the open in the first place but how many times did we see Emmitt get run down from behind when he had a wide open endzone ahead of him. Neither Barry or Walter were ever run down when they hit the open field. Just an observation!

Txbroadcaster
07-20-2010, 09:26 AM

Well lets look at the O-line Smith had

Nate Newton Before Smith a USFL player who was barely on the roster..after Smith a media sensation and pro bowler

Mark Tunei...before Smith a Former DL who was a project and non starter..after Smith Pro Bowler

Larry Allen..dude was a beast and was great no matter who ran behind him

Eric Williams..same as Allen until the wreck, but he only gave Dallas really 2 great years before getting hurt

John Gesek..WHO? lol after he left Dallas was a no one

Kevin Gogan..was solid NOT GREAT

Mark Stepnowski...great technican but not a OMG STUD..was smallish but a battler

Ray Donaldson...incomplete..had the resume before Dallas but was hurt

Derek Kennard..never made a pro bowl was starting when Dallas won last SB because of donaldson injury

So looking at the OL..only Williams and Allen IMO were GREAT with Smith or without..and even that is debatble since it is not like when both came out of college they were tabbed as OMG cant miss players

now onto how Sanders and Payton would have done behind that line and with Aikman and Irvin

Well Sanders would not have been as effective in that system IMO. Sanders was a take the hand off make 5 moves behind the line and go. The Dallas O Line was about driving forward and the RB needed to be able to hit the hole quick

IMO Sanders actually played in the best system for his style with the run and shoot..it opened up lanes for him ..you talk about Aikman and Irvin, but the Lions had better pass stats and teams had to worry just as much about the pass agianst the Lions as the run.

Payton would have been good behind that line because he was a combo of Smith and Sanders

pirate4state
07-20-2010, 09:34 AM
E. Smith - He is the all time leading rusher and until someone catches him, he is the best.

:)

Old Tiger
07-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
E. Smith - He is the all time leading rusher and until someone catches him, he is the best.

:) (1) Emmitt played 15 seasons which is..

(2) 2 more than Peyton
(9) 6 more than Jim Brown
(3) 4 more than Barry
(4) 4 more than Curtis Martin(who is very underrated all time)
(5) 2 more than Bettis

pirate4state
07-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
He played 15 seasons

Just another reason why he is the best. Durability. He is my choice and you can have yours.

Farmersfan
07-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Well lets look at the O-line Smith had

Nate Newton Before Smith a USFL player who was barely on the roster..after Smith a media sensation and pro bowler

Mark Tunei...before Smith a Former DL who was a project and non starter..after Smith Pro Bowler

Larry Allen..dude was a beast and was great no matter who ran behind him

Eric Williams..same as Allen until the wreck, but he only gave Dallas really 2 great years before getting hurt

John Gesek..WHO? lol after he left Dallas was a no one

Kevin Gogan..was solid NOT GREAT

Mark Stepnowski...great technican but not a OMG STUD..was smallish but a battler

Ray Donaldson...incomplete..had the resume before Dallas but was hurt

Derek Kennard..never made a pro bowl was starting when Dallas won last SB because of donaldson injury

So looking at the OL..only Williams and Allen IMO were GREAT with Smith or without..and even that is debatble since it is not like when both came out of college they were tabbed as OMG cant miss players

now onto how Sanders and Payton would have done behind that line and with Aikman and Irvin

Well Sanders would not have been as effective in that system IMO. Sanders was a take the hand off make 5 moves behind the line and go. The Dallas O Line was about driving forward and the RB needed to be able to hit the hole quick

IMO Sanders actually played in the best system for his style with the run and shoot..it opened up lanes for him ..you talk about Aikman and Irvin, but the Lions had better pass stats and teams had to worry just as much about the pass agianst the Lions as the run.

Payton would have been good behind that line because he was a combo of Smith and Sanders

http://armchairgm.wikia.com/Article:NFL_History_101...Best_Offensive_Lines_Of_ All-Time

"Dallas Cowboys-Mark Stepnoski, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Erik Williams, Larry Allen…1992-96…As a unit they combined for 30 Pro Bowls, three Super Bowl wins, and they paved the road for arguably the best running back in league history. Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, and Michael Irvin are all HOF players, with Smith still to receive the inevitable bronze bust, and the flash behind the Cowboys’ Super Bowl tear. But their success was predicated on an offensive line that destroyed opposing defenses. Larry Allen may eventually wind up in the Hall and Williams was the best right tackle of his era. Newton was the affable funny man, Tuinei the scholar, and Stepnoski the rock. Together they were the best such unit of their, or perhaps any, era."

Farmersfan
07-20-2010, 01:07 PM
What was the greatest offensive line in NFL history?

1990's Cowboys Offensive line has to be considered the best ever...not even close.

LT Mark Tuinei (4 Pro-Bowls)
LG Nate Newton (6 Pro-Bowls)
C Mark Stepnoski (5 Pro-Bowls)
RG Larry Allen (11 Pro-Bowls)
RT Erik Williams (4 Pro-Bowls)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_was_the_greatest_offensive_line_in_NFL_histor y

Farmersfan
07-20-2010, 01:17 PM
"There have been a lot of great offensive lines - the power sweep experts of the 1960's Packers; the Electric Company of the 1970's Buffalo Bills, behind which O.J. ran; the mammoth Dallas Cowboys line of the 1990's that graded the road which Emmit Smith ran to an NFL record for rushing yards. But for my money, the top O-line ever played for the 1971-1973 Oakland Raiders."

http://www.best-all-time.com/best-all-time-professional-football-offensive-line.html

PPSTATEBOUND
07-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Anyone who ran out of of bounds to avoid contact on a very consistant basis should be left off the list IMO..I dont care if they played 25 seasons and had 25,000 yards, and are considered the best by 90% of the Homerfied fans.

Txbroadcaster
07-20-2010, 02:35 PM
What was the greatest offensive line in NFL history?

1990's Cowboys Offensive line has to be considered the best ever...not even close.

LT Mark Tuinei (4 Pro-Bowls)
LG Nate Newton (6 Pro-Bowls)
C Mark Stepnoski (5 Pro-Bowls)
RG Larry Allen (11 Pro-Bowls)
RT Erik Williams (4 Pro-Bowls)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_was_the_greatest_offensive_line_in_NFL_histor y

AGAIN...Look where they were BEFORE Smith and after..not with him. That is my whole point

As good as they made him look..He made them look just as good

And the system as well..CANNOT forget the system on the ground and thru the air

Txbroadcaster
07-20-2010, 02:42 PM
I will put it this way

No one discounts Jerry Rice even though he played with TWO HOF QBS and in a system that was tailored PERFECTLY for him

That is hiw I feel about Smith...Perfect storm of right system, right QB right OL...and SO what? Why discount the face it all worked so well that the QB/WR/RB are in the HOF and a couple of more from that unit will end up there as well

That does not discredit Smith IMO only enhances.

Txbroadcaster
07-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
Anyone who ran out of of bounds to avoid contact on a very consistant basis should be left off the list IMO..I dont care if they played 25 seasons and had 25,000 yards, and are considered the best by 90% of the Homerfied fans.

Who?

Farmersfan
07-20-2010, 03:36 PM
AGAIN...Look where they were BEFORE Smith and after..not with him. That is my whole point

As good as they made him look..He made them look just as good

And the system as well..CANNOT forget the system on the ground and thru the air

Emmitt was rarely touched before he got 3 or 4 yards past the line of scrimmage. The run blockers would have done the exact same job regardless of who was running the ball. The O-line for the Cowboys in the early 90's wasn't called the best ever because of Emmitts rushing numbers! They were called the best ever because of how they dominated the defenses they played against. Emmitt did have a knack for getting out of trouble in the backfield when it happened but the point is that Emmitt RARELY had to avoid tacklers in the backfield. He was rarely touched until he was 4 yards downfield............... No other O-line at that time would have provided him with that kind of running room on a consistant basis!

Txbroadcaster
07-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Emmitt was rarely touched before he got 3 or 4 yards past the line of scrimmage. The run blockers would have done the exact same job regardless of who was running the ball. The O-line for the Cowboys in the early 90's wasn't called the best ever because of Emmitts rushing numbers! They were called the best ever because of how they dominated the defenses they played against. Emmitt did have a knack for getting out of trouble in the backfield when it happened but the point is that Emmitt RARELY had to avoid tacklers in the backfield. He was rarely touched until he was 4 yards downfield............... No other O-line at that time would have provided him with that kind of running room on a consistant basis!

So Nate Newton and Tunei just overnight went from back of the rosters players to being dominating? They woke up and said hmm time I become a monster player even though I have not shown I will be?

Farmersfan
07-20-2010, 03:49 PM
So Nate Newton and Tunei just overnight went from back of the rosters players to being dominating? They woke up and said hmm time I become a monster player even though I have not shown I will be?

I don't understand your point TX! Neither of these players were bad players from the start. They simply played on a very talent limited team.

ronwx5x
07-20-2010, 03:51 PM

I can't help but wonder how you came up with these statistics. Rarely touched before he got 3 or 4 yards past the line of scrimmage? Just how is that measured? Since Emmitt was the one running with the ball, how do you know any other runner would have had the same results? He rarely had to avoid tacklers in the backfield? Again, how was that determined?

Methinks these are opinions, not facts. I don't have to disprove your "theory", I just don't agree with it. Was Emmitt the best running back ever? If not, he is certainly in an elite group of great RB's.

Txbroadcaster
07-20-2010, 04:08 PM
I don't understand your point TX! Neither of these players were bad players from the start. They simply played on a very talent limited team.

Nate Newton was a wash out from the USFL league..Tunei was a converted DL player..NEITHER were projected to be anything but back of the roster guys

Txbroadcaster
07-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Here is what I mean Farmer

Newton was on the team since 1986..his first time to start? 1991 when emmit was RB

Tuinei was on the team since 1983..his first time to start? 1991 With Emmit as RB

If the OL was so amazing blowing lanes for 3-4 yds..why diod Dallas never have a real legit back up RB?

Jerry made the same mistake people do now thinking the OL carried Smith and Dallas goes 0-2 without him..if that OL was THE reason why didnt Lassic bust out for 100 yds and a few TDS in each game?

ivchris
07-21-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm sticking with Earl Campbell. He was like a football player and a bucking bull, all in one package.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNLXATdmV-E&feature=related

Farmersfan
07-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I can't help but wonder how you came up with these statistics. Rarely touched before he got 3 or 4 yards past the line of scrimmage? Just how is that measured? Since Emmitt was the one running with the ball, how do you know any other runner would have had the same results? He rarely had to avoid tacklers in the backfield? Again, how was that determined?

Methinks these are opinions, not facts. I don't have to disprove your "theory", I just don't agree with it. Was Emmitt the best running back ever? If not, he is certainly in an elite group of great RB's.

Of course these are opinions! When have I stated otherwise? The counter arguements are also opinion and yet you didn't comment on those. But mine are opinions based on NEVER missing a Cowboys game since I was a pre-teen! Right or wrong, I have a very high opinion of my opinions! :-) (As do others on here) :D :D
There is no way to prove or disprove who is the best RB in history. It's all subjective opinion. The comment about the O-line being the best in history or close to it is also an opinion. But it's an opinion that is shared by many, many people who actually are involved in football as a profession. I have already said that I think Emmitt is top 5 all time but have also stated I will always take into account that he played behind one of the best O-lines in NFL history. That point CANNOT be denied. Whether it has any impact on your opinion of Emmitt is a personal decision just as it was a personal decision for me.

ronwx5x
07-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Of course these are opinions! When have I stated otherwise? The counter arguements are also opinion and yet you didn't comment on those. But mine are opinions based on NEVER missing a Cowboys game since I was a pre-teen! Right or wrong, I have a very high opinion of my opinions! :-) (As do others on here) :D :D
There is no way to prove or disprove who is the best RB in history. It's all subjective opinion. The comment about the O-line being the best in history or close to it is also an opinion. But it's an opinion that is shared by many, many people who actually are involved in football as a profession. I have already said that I think Emmitt is top 5 all time but have also stated I will always take into account that he played behind one of the best O-lines in NFL history. That point CANNOT be denied. Whether it has any impact on your opinion of Emmitt is a personal decision just as it was a personal decision for me.

We are all entitled to opinions, yours just appeared to have been stated as fact. My opinion of Emmitt as a great running back has not been altered by the fact he had a great o-line. If some of the others (Barry Sanders and Walter Payton come to mind) had enjoyed the same oline, they would still have been great and perhaps have had even greater success.

"I will always take into account that he played behind one of the best O-lines in NFL history" appears to tarnish what Emmitt accomplished. He was great, perhaps among the best. The greatest will always be a subjective opinion and the FACT that Emmitt was a great running back CANNOT be decied.

Your disdain for the Cowboys has been clearly stated and I expect will never change. If they had the perfect season you would still find fault, but that's just your opinion.

Farmersfan
07-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Here is what I mean Farmer

Newton was on the team since 1986..his first time to start? 1991 when emmit was RB

Tuinei was on the team since 1983..his first time to start? 1991 With Emmit as RB

If the OL was so amazing blowing lanes for 3-4 yds..why diod Dallas never have a real legit back up RB?

Jerry made the same mistake people do now thinking the OL carried Smith and Dallas goes 0-2 without him..if that OL was THE reason why didnt Lassic bust out for 100 yds and a few TDS in each game?

Emmitt Smiths average per carry increased each season as they built this O-line.

90' - 3.9
91' - 4.3
92' - 4.6
93'- 5.3

Nate Newton and Mark Tuinei combined for 10 Pro Bowls.

Besides, you are using the same logic to prove your point about these players that I have used a thousand times about Romo! If what these two linemen did the first years of their careers proves they weren't great players then doesn't Romo's first 4 years prove he isn't a great player???? You completely discounted it when I used it for Romo but now it is proving your point???? Besides I never said any of these linemen were anything. I said the "LINE" was one of the best in NFL history. The two players you singled out were only a part of the entire line.

Farmersfan
07-21-2010, 09:32 AM
We are all entitled to opinions, yours just appeared to have been stated as fact. My opinion of Emmitt as a great running back has not been altered by the fact he had a great o-line. If some of the others (Barry Sanders and Walter Payton come to mind) had enjoyed the same oline, they would still have been great and perhaps have had even greater success.

"I will always take into account that he played behind one of the best O-lines in NFL history" appears to tarnish what Emmitt accomplished. He was great, perhaps among the best. The greatest will always be a subjective opinion and the FACT that Emmitt was a great running back CANNOT be decied.

Your disdain for the Cowboys has been clearly stated and I expect will never change. If they had the perfect season you would still find fault, but that's just your opinion.

How does acknowledging who Emmitt played with tarnish anything? We are discussing the GREATEST RB of ALL TIME! To determine that it is only intelligent to take into account the variables that might have aided or detracked from what a certain player accomplished. To blindly give a certain player the title without concern for his playing environment is pretty moronic in my opinion. Emmitt amassed great yardage in a long career that surpassed all the other canidates for Best RB. But if you examine the PER SEASON average or Per Carry average Emmitt isn't at the top. So does longevity automatically give him the title? Not in my opinion. BTW, Emmitt Smith is one of my favorite players of all times. And if my comments about this subject jor others (Romo) means I have "distain" for the Cowboys then you and some others are equally blind homers!!!!!!

Farmersfan
07-21-2010, 09:38 AM
My opinion of Emmitt as a great running back has not been altered by the fact he had a great o-line.

Sorry! I missed this part. My opinion of Emmitt as a GREAT running back also has not been altered by the fact he had a great 0-line! I'm simply of the opinion that a "Great" o-line must be considered when picking the GREATEST of ALL TIME.

ronwx5x
07-21-2010, 09:40 AM
How does acknowledging who Emmitt played with tarnish anything? We are discussing the GREATEST RB of ALL TIME! To determine that it is only intelligent to take into account the variables that might have aided or detracked from what a certain player accomplished. To blindly give a certain player the title without concern for his playing environment is pretty moronic in my opinion. Emmitt amassed great yardage in a long career that surpassed all the other canidates for Best RB. But if you examine the PER SEASON average or Per Carry average Emmitt isn't at the top. So does longevity automatically give him the title? Not in my opinion. BTW, Emmitt Smith is one of my favorite players of all times. And if my comments about this subject jor others (Romo) means I have "distain" for the Cowboys then you and some others are equally blind homers!!!!!!

Who granted any title? As far as intelligent, let's just allow our posts to indicate intelligence since neither of us wants to discuss GPA, Wunderlich tests or any other measure. I indicated more than once that my opinion is that Emmitt is among the elite running backs and never said he is the best. As far as your disdain for the Cowboys, it shows in more than just your opinion about the current QB.

Have a nice day.

Farmersfan
07-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Who granted any title? As far as intelligent, let's just allow our posts to indicate intelligence since neither of us wants to discuss GPA, Wunderlich tests or any other measure. I indicated more than once that my opinion is that Emmitt is among the elite running backs and never said he is the best. As far as your disdain for the Cowboys, it shows in more than just your opinion about the current QB.

Have a nice day.

I'm sorry if you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning ronwx5x! Even though you and I are saying the exact same thing you seem determined to undermine everything I say in a conversation with ANOTHER poster. Did I offend you in some way?
And I can't be held accountable for my support or fandom of the Cowboys not being what you think it should be because I never got the memo! :D

And I always have a nice day when I can converse with you and TX!!!!

Txbroadcaster
07-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Emmitt Smiths average per carry increased each season as they built this O-line.

90' - 3.9
91' - 4.3
92' - 4.6
93'- 5.3

Nate Newton and Mark Tuinei combined for 10 Pro Bowls.

Besides, you are using the same logic to prove your point about these players that I have used a thousand times about Romo! If what these two linemen did the first years of their careers proves they weren't great players then doesn't Romo's first 4 years prove he isn't a great player???? You completely discounted it when I used it for Romo but now it is proving your point???? Besides I never said any of these linemen were anything. I said the "LINE" was one of the best in NFL history. The two players you singled out were only a part of the entire line.

I have never actually heard you use the well Romo was not drafted so he is not good argument. So I am not sure I ever debated that with you.

You say you talk about the LINE..well 2/5ths of the line has to be in that discussion.

And for the record I am not saying NEwton and Tuinei were not good..I am saying Smith benfitted them as much as they were the reason he was so good. It is a two way street IMO

tog
07-21-2010, 11:19 PM
earl

period