PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions about Mexico

bwdlionfan
07-16-2010, 02:44 PM
For those of you who have been to Cancun:

I'm taking some cash to tip the wait staff and what not (hotel is all inclusive)... but as far as activities are concerned (snorkeling, boat tours, etc)... do most of those places take Visa? If so... is it safer to use my debit card or my credit card?

Also, do we need to keep our passports on us at all times or just at the airports when entering and leaving the country?

Gsquared
07-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan

I'm taking some cash to tip the wait staff and what not (hotel is all inclusive)... but as far as activities are concerned (snorkeling, boat tours, etc)... do most of those places take Visa? If so... is it safer to use my debit card or my credit card?

Also, do we need to keep our passports on us at all times or just at the airports when entering and leaving the country?
My wife and I went to Isla Mujeras for a week back this past May (Isla Mujeras is the island off Cancun) and snorkling etc... took cash only. I would leave my passport locked up at the hotel when out and about.

hollywood
07-16-2010, 02:50 PM
NEVER use debit cards. Visa will back credit cards in the case that there is fraud.

Best is to set up activities with the hotel you are staying in. I would never carry much cash on you. Just from experience, I lost my entire wallet while in Mexico. What a headache it was when I returned. So, word from the wise, don't carry a checkbook style wallet.

Have fun!

44INAROW
07-16-2010, 02:52 PM
from my experience, the places (excursion places) take Visa - also try to book through the hotel/resort. Also - be sure and call your CC and report that you'll be out of the country and where you think you'll be using the card and what would be an "unusual" purchase (just in case)
I dont' think you need your passport except at the airport.
1st and foremost - have fun :)

bwdlionfan
07-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
from my experience, the places (excursion places) take Visa - also try to book through the hotel/resort. Also - be sure and call your CC and report that you'll be out of the country and where you think you'll be using the card and what would be an "unusual" purchase (just in case)
I dont' think you need your passport except at the airport.
1st and foremost - have fun :)

Thanks for the advice everyone

LH_Tuff
07-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan

Been to the area many times (mainly Playa and Cozumel). We have found it is best to book excursions/rental cars/etc. at the hotel. There will be 'tour' services setup in the hotel lobby. They will pick you up at the hotel (and drop you off afterwards). It is best to use cash whenever possible. You will be able to use credit cards for excursions when booking them at the hotel. There are ATM machines here and there, but will issue pesos's.

As far as the passports are concerned. When in a foreign country you should have recognized id with you at all times. So, having your passport with you is a smart thing. The new passport cards work as well.

Hope this helps and have a great time.