PDA

View Full Version : La Grange Leopards New System and Coach

Pudlugger
07-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Now that Coach Kates is the new sheriff in town what changes will we see in the offense this season? Last year the jv was running a wing t type offense while the varsity went with the spread as had been the case for the entire Walker tenure. What was that all about? With the great receivers that the Leps have this year I would think the offense would seek to take advantage of that. The running game should be strong as well with two excellent backs returning in Daniels and Wilson. Maybe someone more plugged into the system can comment on the new directions the team will be taking this season. I got my tickets and am looking forward to an exciting football season again.

44INAROW
07-16-2010, 02:56 PM
all I know, Coach Kates much be one smart cookie - he's married to a Cuero girl ;)

millcreek
07-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Now that Coach Kates is the new sheriff in town what changes will we see in the offense this season? Last year the jv was running a wing t type offense while the varsity went with the spread as had been the case for the entire Walker tenure. What was that all about? With the great receivers that the Leps have this year I would think the offense would seek to take advantage of that. The running game should be strong as well with two excellent backs returning in Daniels and Wilson. Maybe someone more plugged into the system can comment on the new directions the team will be taking this season. I got my tickets and am looking forward to an exciting football season again.

Who do think will be the QB for the leps this season?

zebrablue2
07-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Near football time and the pud has arisin:D Good to see you out and about! Leps are gonna be in a buff and snake and hornet and 3 cat fight this year to make the playoffs. New coach gotta be on his toes. La Grange picked 4th in district returning 7-4 starters. Is enough help on the way to get back to playoff football this year???

Pudlugger
07-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by millcreek
Who do think will be the QB for the leps this season?

My money goes to soph Qb Vinklarek. With a new coach and new system it makes sense to bring up a young Qb rather than a senior from the old system. May not seem fair but that's how it works when you get a new coach.

D23 is one tough district but I think the Leps can get 3 wins and make the playoffs. They have to fill three starting slots on the O Line and field a new starting Qb, otherwise the offense is loaded in skill positions. The defense will be solid with 4 returning starters and several very good players who filled supporting roles well last year (e.g Foley, Villanova, and Ledwik to name three). I expect to see standout starters like Wilkerson, Childs and Daniels playing both ways more this season to lend experience and strength on both sides of the line of scrimmage. That's my take but I'd like to hear what more savy LG posters have to say about this.

Old Tiger
07-17-2010, 10:40 AM
I'd like to see teems incorporate the spread as well as the wing t into one offense! With lots of formation shifts and what not

millcreek
07-17-2010, 06:13 PM
My money goes to soph Qb Vinklarek. With a new coach and new system it makes sense to bring up a young Qb rather than a senior from the old system. May not seem fair but that's how it works when you get a new coach.

D23 is one tough district but I think the Leps can get 3 wins and make the playoffs. They have to fill three starting slots on the O Line and field a new starting Qb, otherwise the offense is loaded in skill positions. The defense will be solid with 4 returning starters and several very good players who filled supporting roles well last year (e.g Foley, Villanova, and Ledwik to name three). I expect to see standout starters like Wilkerson, Childs and Daniels playing both ways more this season to lend experience and strength on both sides of the line of scrimmage. That's my take but I'd like to hear what more savy LG posters have to say about this.

good post, thanks pudlugger

navscanmaster
07-17-2010, 10:38 PM
It is kind of ridiculous that they have the Leopards picked 4th in district returning half their starters from a state semifinalist run. I would have picked my own Rattlers fourth in this district had I made Dave Campbell's list. I think the Leopards and Rattlers fall in behind Giddings this year. Sorry Caldwell, but when you are picked 4th or 5th, you win district. Dave caught on to this and picked you guys second. You can thank him come hoops time.:D

just kidding, it will be tough, tough, tough to be a playoff team in this new district. Five teams are playoff teams from a year ago, and three went deep.

Coach BS
07-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Tough dist. there will be a good team or two sitting home come playoff time.

hookandladder
07-18-2010, 06:04 PM

The last 2 years were very difficult years to play and watch for the JV and Freshman teams running the wing T, while watching the Varsity run the spread. LG will be back in the spread this year on Varsity using 1 and 2 back sets, words is we will be throwing it around a good bit. Pretty amazing with the receivers and RB's that we have back this year that the old coaches were going to ditch the spread. I think the players are starting to get pretty excited about the new era under Coach Kates, 2 a days are just a little over 2 weeks away. I think I am ready for some Football.

Pudlugger
07-18-2010, 06:19 PM
My take on the frosh and jv running the wing t last year is that Coach Walker was prepping the system for a command change and in going to a running game in the lower divisions he was creating an opening for other coaches to exploit. He knew he was not going to be around this year so he wanted the next guy to have some breath of experience in the ranks for diverse offenses. The new coach going to the spread is a wise choice owing to the experience and talent of this cohort of players.

hookandladder
07-18-2010, 08:03 PM
My take on the frosh and jv running the wing t last year is that Coach Walker was prepping the system for a command change and in going to a running game in the lower divisions he was creating an opening for other coaches to exploit. He knew he was not going to be around this year so he wanted the next guy to have some breath of experience in the ranks for diverse offenses. The new coach going to the spread is a wise choice owing to the experience and talent of this cohort of players.

Don't know about that but I do know at the end of last school year before Coach Walker resigned the QB's were told and were working on the spread offense for next year, did not make much sense. The spread offense may take some time to jell with whoever is at QB, a major adjustment without Josh back there.

Pudlugger
07-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Well then I don't see much sense in the frosh and jv teams running the wing t for two years if the varsity was locked into the spread offense. What's up with that?

1st and goal
07-18-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm interested too in what your new coach decides to do.

hookandladder
07-19-2010, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
I'm interested too in what your new coach decides to do.

Offensively,Defensively,QB or just overall.

Pudlugger
07-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Offensively,Defensively,QB or just overall.

Overall I would say. No one seems to know much about the direction the Leps will be taking this year. Just a lot of speculation.

1st and goal
07-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Overall I would say. No one seems to know much about the direction the Leps will be taking this year. Just a lot of speculation.

You guys still have a bunch of talent. I wish some of 'em lived about 20 miles north.:D :D :D