PDA

View Full Version : BP capped the Oil Leak!!!

Phil C
07-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Horay!

Tally Ho!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4zHrzZfRk&feature=related

Phil C
07-15-2010, 04:29 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100715/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill

:clap:

Looking4number8
07-15-2010, 04:30 PM
about 90 days too late!

Old Tiger
07-15-2010, 04:37 PM
hooray for future increased fuel prices because they screwed up hooray!

STANG RED
07-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Great News!!!

BUT......

Even if it works, the cap is not a permanent fix, and not the end of the crisis by any means. BP is drilling two relief wells so it can pump mud and cement into the leaking well in hopes of plugging it permanently by mid-August. After that, the Gulf Coast faces a monumental cleanup and restoration that could take years.

Lets all hope and pray all goes well with all the work left to do.

Between the long lasting effects of this, plus the mountain of debt we're piling on their heads, we already owe our childrens great grandchildren a huge apology. Maybe we are at least learning something valuable through all this.

Rabid Cougar
07-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Cheers mate!

JJWalker
07-15-2010, 06:32 PM
I have been monitoring the live feeds from the ROVs for most of the day, since it looked like they were going to try to stop the flow. Well they have shut off most of them now, but it looks to my untrained eye that there is oil coming from a new location.

I will disclaim, that I could be wrong, but it wouldn't make much sense for them to all of a sudden cut off most of the live feeds at the moment of their success.

I hope I am wrong, but I think the media jumped the guns on this.

DU_stud04
07-15-2010, 09:20 PM
The BP oil leak was succesfully stopped. Apparently one brave man swam down and placed a wedding ring on it, after which it immediately stopped putting out.

Blastoderm55
07-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
The BP oil leak was succesfully stopped. Apparently one brave man swam down and placed a wedding ring on it, after which it immediately stopped putting out.

:eek:

Looking4number8
07-15-2010, 09:38 PM

:) :) :) :) :)

garciap77
07-15-2010, 09:40 PM

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Cool/cool-045.GIF

crabman
07-15-2010, 10:26 PM
I love things explained in relative terms.

Over the last three months between 90 and 180 million gallons of oil have spilled into the Gulf of Mexico.

Lets say we are on the low end and 100 million gallons spilled.

Think about your football field that you sit and stare at every Friday night in the Fall. 360 feet long and 160 feet wide.

Think about how big the Gulf of Mexico is in relation to that football field.

The Gulf where this spill was located was 5000 feet deep. Most of the Gulf is much deeper.

If your football field was a tank full of oil, how deep would that tank have to be to hold 100,000,000 gallons of oil?

The answer is 233 feet tall. It is not as much as you think. Now it will disperse in water but it is still not as much oil as you think.

A high school gymnasium will hold about 3.5 million gallons of oil.

Thought those were interesting numbers. I came up with those all on my own.

LE Dad
07-15-2010, 10:29 PM
I always judge the level of success by the amount of confidence displayed in the statement... The BP spokesman had more ifs, mights, possiblys, and hopefullys in his statement than a kid looking to lose his virginity on prom nite.

stay tuned the wedding ring may come loose.:thinking:

BullsFan
07-16-2010, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by crabman
The answer is 233 feet tall. It is not as much as you think. Now it will disperse in water but it is still not as much oil as you think.

Tell that to the men who are out of work, the families that have lost their livelihood, the fisherman who have to move, the restaurants and tourist spots that are closed. I won't even start on the animals that are dead. This is a horrific event to have happened to this country, and it will take years to get it all cleaned up. And it won't all disperse judging by the amount washing up on the beaches.

ETA: I don't mean to be snippy with you. I just can't stand the thought of all the damage that's been done, and I can't stand BP.

gatordaze
07-16-2010, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Tell that to the men who are out of work, the families that have lost their livelihood, the fisherman who have to move, the restaurants and tourist spots that are closed. I won't even start on the animals that are dead. This is a horrific event to have happened to this country, and it will take years to get it all cleaned up. And it won't all disperse judging by the amount washing up on the beaches.

ETA: I don't mean to be snippy with you. I just can't stand the thought of all the damage that's been done, and I can't stand BP.

I will admit that the bulk of my knowledge about oil comes from the 70's watching Jed Clampitt shooting at some food when up from the ground came a bubblin crude, oil that is...

Does oil not flow into the oceans today from cracks and fissures naturally? I know I have seen footage of natural gas doing so. My only guess is that oil is always deep below the crust under great pressure and until you pierce the balloon the earth keeps it contained. Maybe the story of how Jed became a millionaire is false!

3afan
07-16-2010, 06:42 AM
I bought some BP stock this week.... worth a little gamble I guess

Reds fan
07-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
I bought some BP stock this week.... worth a little gamble I guess

Timing is everything, good luck.

On another note, there will be a lot of attorneys that are gonna have one heck of an economic rebound over the next 30 years!:D

Aesculus gilmus
07-16-2010, 09:59 AM
The safe prediction to make here is that this is not over.

Generally, over the course of the last three months, when BP's and the Coast Guard's lips have been moving, they have been lying.

Here is an interesting video about what they are NOT telling you and, again, I have no idea if this guy is lying or not, but he has more credibility than BP to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scl2dgK_-Nw

Old Tiger
07-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Screw this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ou5qEdiGpU&feature=related

How does this tool get elected in our great state?

JJWalker
07-16-2010, 12:10 PM
At this time ... 12:10PM CST July 16, 2010 ...

this ROV is about 80 feet off the ocean floor and its camera is clearly showing a cloud of some product rising to the surface.

Maybe BP reopened the valves or this is oil or methane pressure leaking through ruined casing and then the ocean floor geology? :thinking:

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/globalbp_uk_english/incident_response/STAGING/local_assets/html/Q4000_ROV1.html

BullsFan
07-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
I will admit that the bulk of my knowledge about oil comes from the 70's watching Jed Clampitt shooting at some food when up from the ground came a bubblin crude, oil that is...

Does oil not flow into the oceans today from cracks and fissures naturally? I know I have seen footage of natural gas doing so. My only guess is that oil is always deep below the crust under great pressure and until you pierce the balloon the earth keeps it contained. Maybe the story of how Jed became a millionaire is false!

My dad has been in petroleum his entire life, so I have a little better than average knowledge. There's a little more involved than just piercing a balloon, but it's long involved process and I don't feel confident enough to explain it. I will tell you that BP has a reputation in the industry of safety violations and cutting corners. A HUGE percentage of all safety violations in the industry are BP. And if you haven't heard the story of what they did in Texas City....well, frankly it's just horrendous. I don't trust them or anything they say, and it defies logic that they're still allowed to operate in this country at all.

JJWalker
07-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by JJWalker
At this time ... 12:10PM CST July 16, 2010 ...

this ROV is about 80 feet off the ocean floor and its camera is clearly showing a cloud of some product rising to the surface.

Maybe BP reopened the valves or this is oil or methane pressure leaking through ruined casing and then the ocean floor geology? :thinking:

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/globalbp_uk_english/incident_response/STAGING/local_assets/html/Q4000_ROV1.html
Yep ... if you had two eyes and a reasonable amount of intellect, then it was fairly obvious there was a problem.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38273995/ns/disaster_in_the_gulf

The press release of success was cleary just a manipulation of public opinion thru the dupable consumer and sensationalistic media.

I hope the relief wells live up to all of the media hype. Because beyond them, it looks like a nuke would be the only known option left.