PDA

View Full Version : Are kids stronger these days?

orange machine
07-15-2010, 01:18 PM
I noticed at the 7 on 7 tourney a bunch of big strong ripped looking kids that looked they have been lifting for years. So are coaches pushing the weight room more or are kids just growing faster?

DDBooger
07-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
I noticed at the 7 on 7 tourney a bunch of big strong ripped looking kids that looked they have been lifting for years. So are coaches pushing the weight room more or are kids just growing faster? More specialized training regimen I imagine. The professionalization of high school sports has certainly had an impact.

Emerson1
07-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Also the number of protein drinks and other stuff available now helps a lot.

Ernest T Bass
07-15-2010, 01:29 PM
I noticed at the 7 on 7 tourney a bunch of big strong ripped looking kids that looked they have been lifting for years. So are coaches pushing the weight room more or are kids just growing faster?

All of the above. Knowledge about muscle and strength building, as well as nutrition, is light years ahead of where it was just a decade or so ago. With that knowledge, kids are working alot more and alot smarter in the weight room on their own.
I think we're also seeing some good ol' fashioned evolution, too.

orange machine
07-15-2010, 01:32 PM
I know there are alot of supplements out on the market kids can get, but alot of these kids must live in the weight room because they are jacked. When I was in high school just 10 years ago if you benched 300lbs you were the man, now kids are benching 400lbs it's crazy.

DDBooger
07-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
All of the above. Knowledge about muscle and strength building, as well as nutrition, is light years ahead of where it was just a decade or so ago. With that knowledge, kids are working alot more and alot smarter in the weight room on their own.
I think we're also seeing some good ol' fashioned evolution, too. DIET

Every generation adds more and more protein. It has it's positives and negatives (especially when you're older - colon cancer).

The abundance of football camps, skills camps, circuit training which I did my freshman year way back in 91 in San Marcos. I can only imagine how sophisticated it is now. We were doing plyometrics then though.

BaseballUmp
07-15-2010, 01:35 PM
I think kids are getting a lot more motivation to hit the weight rooms in the summer as well from not only their coaches, but also their teammates

Cowboy_Up
07-15-2010, 01:35 PM
My son has been lifting almost every day since he was in 7th grade. That's 5 years of being on a supervised weight training regimen. Although some were doing that sort of thing 25 years ago, it was not near as widespread. Throw in protein shakes, personal trainers and all that and you have kids who are bigger and stronger than in past generations.
Edna is a small school ~400 kids, yet they will average 250+ across both lines and they will not be that much bigger than other good small school teams. Wasn’t that the size of 5A lines 10-15 years ago?

DDBooger
07-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
I think kids are getting a lot more motivation to hit the weight rooms in the summer as well from not only their coaches, but also their teammates I think that was always there, at least for the winning programs. The level of sophistication has just gotten greater. If we weren't seen in the weight room in the summer, you were likely not starting on Friday.

DDBooger
07-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
My son has been lifting almost every day since he was in 7th grade. That's 5 years of being on a supervised weight training regimen. Although some were doing that sort of thing 25 years ago, it was not near as widespread. Throw in protein shakes, personal trainers and all that and you have kids who are bigger and stronger than in past generations.
Edna is a small school ~400 kids, yet they will average 250+ across both lines and they will not be that much bigger than other good small school teams. Wasn’t that the size of 5A lines 10-15 years ago? See we had protein shakes, creatine etc 20 years ago too. And it worked as we were pretty damn big. I think the supplements are probably getting better as well as the training.

Ernest T Bass
07-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
See we had protein shakes, creatine etc 20 years ago too. And it worked as we were pretty damn big. I think the supplements are probably getting better as well as the training.

No doubt about both of those.

Ernest T Bass
07-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
they will average 250+ across both lines and they will not be that much bigger than other good small school teams. Wasn’t that the size of 5A lines 10-15 years ago?

Hell, that's bigger than our 5a line RIGHT NOW! I think we only have 2 that are over 250, and our center is 185 lbs soaking wet!

orange machine
07-15-2010, 01:42 PM
I think alot of schools have started lifting year around where in the past if you played other sports you didn't lift at all or didn't lift as much until that sport was over.

BaseballUmp
07-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Well I know in Cameron probably 8-10 years ago when my brother was in high school they didn't have near the numbers in the summer programs as we did when I was in high school only 3-4 years ago. Granted we had a brand new field house. But yea I agree....if you didn't show up during the summer you were getting phone calls from the coaches asking where you were. We had 2 designated group workout times...1 in the morning and 1 in the late afternoon. Coaches definitely notice who has been hitting the weights during the summer and believe me, it definitely helps. Lol I lost like 20 pounds the summer before my senior year. Unfortunately I blew out my knee the day before school started lol but with the improvements in weight training it is no wonder kids are getting stronger faster. Also it doesn't hurt having that one coach that expects nothing less than to see you in there every day busting your ass. We lost that coach after my senior year and discipline has gone down tremendously.

bwdlionfan
07-15-2010, 01:46 PM
DIET

Every generation adds more and more protein. It has it's positives and negatives (especially when you're older - colon cancer).

Where did you hear that too much protein increases colon cancer risks? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just hadn't heard that before. The only way I can see too much protein contributing to colon cancer risk would be when a high protein diet is combined with a low carbohydrate diet. The low carbs will cause you to get less fiber, which in turn can be a contributor to colon cancer. But I wouldn't think excess protein alone (as long as carbs are kept to a regular level) would increase this risk.

BaseballUmp
07-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Lol well I was watching King of the Hill last night and all he would eat was red meats and became constipated and they said he was at risk for colon cancer...not necessarily the most scientific example, but just sayin haha

DDBooger
07-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Where did you hear that too much protein increases colon cancer risks? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just hadn't heard that before. The only way I can see too much protein contributing to colon cancer risk would be when a high protein diet is combined with a low carbohydrate diet. The low carbs will cause you to get less fiber, which in turn can be a contributor to colon cancer. But I wouldn't think excess protein alone (as long as carbs are kept to a regular level) would increase this risk. Not just low carb, but lack of enough fiber. It's an indirect effect as a result of bad balance. Read an article from the New England Journal of Medicine and one from England while doing some research on HGH and the performance enhancement culture.

bwdlionfan
07-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Lol well I was watching King of the Hill last night and all he would eat was red meats and became constipated and they said he was at risk for colon cancer...not necessarily the most scientific example, but just sayin haha

lol I was watching that last night too. That is actually biologically correct, because all he would eat is red meat (no veggies)... The no veggies is what caused his constipation from not having fiber.

You can get protein from tons of sources though, and as long as you're keeping your carbohydrates in balance, I don't think there's any reason to believe it would cause colon cancer. I'm no nutrition expert, but I was the store manager for a health food/sports nutrition store while I was in college.

bwdlionfan
07-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Not just low carb, but lack of enough fiber. It's an indirect effect as a result of bad balance. Read an article from the New England Journal of Medicine and one from England while doing some research on HGH and the performance enhancement culture.

That's basically what I said... we're saying the same thing... just in different words. Low fiber can cause colon cancer... but these high school kids in all likely hood are not substituting their carbohydrates for protein. They are most likely consuming their normal level of carbs with more than the normal level of protein. (You don't get big and ripped without complex carbohydrates AND protein) The people that most studies mention being at an increased risk for cancers due to high protein are probably more referring to those on the Atkins or South Beach Diets... diets that eliminate most all carbs and only call for the person to eat fats and proteins.

DDBooger
07-15-2010, 02:16 PM
That's basically what I said... we're saying the same thing... just in different words. Low fiber can cause colon cancer... but these high school kids in all likely hood are not substituting their carbohydrates for protein.
They are most likely consuming their normal level of carbs with more than the normal level of protein. (You don't get big and ripped without complex carbohydrates AND protein) The people that most studies mention being at an increased risk for cancers due to high protein are probably more referring to those on the Atkins or South Beach Diets... diets that eliminate most all carbs and only call for the person to eat fats and proteins. I should have mentioned in later years, and not expected you to think I meant as young adults, my bad. And, you're right about the carbs, in order to maintain a heavy training regimen you can't complete it w/o that. It's as they get older where good habits slip into bad.

bwdlionfan
07-15-2010, 02:19 PM
It's as they get older where good habits slip into bad.

Like me... I'm 27... and I can't get enough of those Jack in the Box tacos!!

On a serious note though, I've been thin all my life, got fitted for a tux for my wedding back in May and my waist was a 32... 6 weeks later I went back to finalize our order (for my tux and all the groomsmen) and I decided to have them remeasure me because I'd had to buy a few new pair of shorts and my jeans won't fit now. In 6 weeks I went from a 32 to a 34 waist. Good ole Jack in the Box!

BaseballUmp
07-15-2010, 02:24 PM
gotta love'em lol

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-15-2010, 03:29 PM
The answer to this question should be fairly obvious. As competition has increased in popularity, so has the size, speed, and strength of athletes. It's becoming more commercialized, but it's really awesome to see younger guys who are big, strong, and fast. That's dedication to something, even if it comes with hiring personal trainers, speed coaches, and spending money on supplements. Not all players can afford that, but that doesn't mean that you with research and spending time in the weight room, an athlete can't get just as strong or just as fast. I think for a lot of kids who have personal trainers/speed coaches in high school, they need it simply because they have to have somebody pushing them to work out. This isn't true for all of them, but I know what it was like in high school and I remember begging my teammates to come and work out in the mornings before school and work out during the summer, but only a few actually did. Funny thing is, there were a lot of younger guys showing up and Rockdale has been very talented and physically imposing over the past few years because of it, and I couldn't be more happy to have seen those guys succeed because I knew what kind of work they put into it. I know for me, working out during the summer and offseason helped out a lot. I was in the weight room every day during the summer, and every morning at 6:00 AM during the season (football, basketball, and track). One thing I wish that I would have worked more on is my speed and FLEXIBILITY. The only supplement I ever took was Glutamine in powder form from GNC. That's all you really need, especially if you're working out twice a day; it helps your immune system and helps muscle recovery. Also, getting plenty of rest and eating 4 meals a day to help replenish lost nutrients is important, especially the rest. If there are any parents on here who are looking for tips or advice on workouts for their son, send me a PM, I've been there and I know what it takes.

I for one think it's great that high school athletes are getting bigger, it leads to healthy habits and a better lifestyle and teaches them a lot about themselves. A lot about sacrifice and dedication.

"True strength lies in submission, which permits one to dedicate his life, through devotion, to something beyond himself." -Henry Miller

orange machine
07-15-2010, 03:41 PM
What are some weight lifting numbers on your team, Gatordaze would no more than me, but Celina has 3 players benching over 400 and 19 or 20 benching over 300. Then there is alot of boys squating over 400. Of course I believe these are all varsity players.

MUSTANG69
07-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Where did you hear that too much protein increases colon cancer risks? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just hadn't heard that before. The only way I can see too much protein contributing to colon cancer risk would be when a high protein diet is combined with a low carbohydrate diet. The low carbs will cause you to get less fiber, which in turn can be a contributor to colon cancer. But I wouldn't think excess protein alone (as long as carbs are kept to a regular level) would increase this risk.

I have heard that an excess of a protein called periostin can have a drastic effect when dealing with colon cancer.(My urologist told me that) I just hope that the protein and supplements that kids are taking today will not be causing them problems down the line. :thinking:

garciap77
07-15-2010, 04:08 PM

I bet fresh-j from the Practice Squad knows! He seems to know everything!http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/key-109.gif

orange machine
07-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
I bet fresh-j from the Practice Squad knows! He seems to know everything!http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/key-109.gif

Lol where is ole fresh from?

garciap77
07-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Like me... I'm 27... and I can't get enough of those Jack in the Box tacos!!

On a serious note though, I've been thin all my life, got fitted for a tux for my wedding back in May and my waist was a 32... 6 weeks later I went back to finalize our order (for my tux and all the groomsmen) and I decided to have them remeasure me because I'd had to buy a few new pair of shorts and my jeans won't fit now. In 6 weeks I went from a 32 to a 34 waist. Good ole Jack in the Box!

:thinking:

You sure it was not the beer?:D

;)

garciap77
07-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Lol where is ole fresh from?

He is from the Practice Squad!!!!http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-057.gif

Football_4
07-15-2010, 05:09 PM
I think that about 80-90% of the kids growth is due to better training, combined with more motivation, and also some protein shakes and better eating habits. But I think the other 10% is due to drugs such as PMAX, which is passed off as an anabolic amino acid or something, and just last year I witnessed kids in denial that it wasn't actually steroids. The compound in the pill had been banned before but was allowed to be remanufactured after being tweaked and changing the name just enough to receive a new patent. All it really was was estrogen that backed up the natural production of estrogen because the body didn't need to make it anymore. That tells the body to make more testosterone in order to balance out the estrogen, creating a steroid. Now I may be wrong on some things but my point is that I think some of these kids get pills such as these thinking its just some kind of miracle pill and don't look into the details of it. And the result is these huge jacked up 16-17 year olds who have unnatural full beards and chest hair.

bobcat4life
07-15-2010, 05:58 PM
I think its just a combination of newer and stronger supplements constantly being produced to help achieve maximum performance along with better training techniques. Its pretty simple-most coaches now played between 1975-2000 and have all been in the weightroom many times and have learned by experience what works and what doesnt work, and now they have built weight regimes that work more effectively based on that.

I have come up with my own system in the past year or so and it has payed off. Ive gotten alot stronger and have gained about 25 pounds since the beginning of 2 a days last year. (I was at 135 this time last year and I now weigh 160)

bwdlionfan
07-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Football_4
I think that about 80-90% of the kids growth is due to better training, combined with more motivation, and also some protein shakes and better eating habits. But I think the other 10% is due to drugs such as PMAX, which is passed off as an anabolic amino acid or something, and just last year I witnessed kids in denial that it wasn't actually steroids. The compound in the pill had been banned before but was allowed to be remanufactured after being tweaked and changing the name just enough to receive a new patent. All it really was was estrogen that backed up the natural production of estrogen because the body didn't need to make it anymore. That tells the body to make more testosterone in order to balance out the estrogen, creating a steroid. Now I may be wrong on some things but my point is that I think some of these kids get pills such as these thinking its just some kind of miracle pill and don't look into the details of it. And the result is these huge jacked up 16-17 year olds who have unnatural full beards and chest hair.

That chest hair will turn in to boob hair if they keep taking it too long.

fresh-j
07-15-2010, 07:34 PM
That chest hair will turn in to boob hair if they keep taking it too long.

Best thing I've read yet :clap: :D

LE Dad
07-15-2010, 07:57 PM
I bet fresh-j from the Practice Squad knows! He seems to know everything!http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/key-109.gif :evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

LE Dad
07-15-2010, 07:59 PM
He is from the Practice Squad!!!!http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-057.gif :eek: :eek: :eek:

:doh:

:D

garciap77
07-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
:eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/others-113.gif

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-15-2010, 08:11 PM
What are some weight lifting numbers on your team, Gatordaze would no more than me, but Celina has 3 players benching over 400 and 19 or 20 benching over 300. Then there is alot of boys squating over 400. Of course I believe these are all varsity players.

The key word in all of this is "boys"....I'm not trying to be cynical or trying to down Celina at all, but you hear about all of these "boys" running 4.3 forty yard dashes and weighing so much and lifting so much, but when it comes down to it, they can't do any of those things, or even come close. I'd bet that about 90% of the kids who supposedly can run a 4.3 can do it. I have a feeling that this is close to the same sort of situation. This is due to a combination of embellishment and generous coaches thumbs on a stopwatch. In this case, it could also be the use of a hand-on-the-bar spot, wearing "bench shirts" that are worn for Powerlifting competitions, or a combination of both. Bench pressing 400 pounds at the high school level was almost unheard of when I played four years ago. The only player that I can think of from our district (the year that Cameron Yoe and Hutto played in the Regional Finals), was a player from Taylor named Chris Lamar. If these players from Celina could actually do that, then they would be making huge noise around the state in Powerlifting competitions. Simply put, I don't honestly believe that there are that many athletes lifting that amount of weight. How many members are on the Varsity team at Celina? I could be completely wrong, and would applaud the Celina players who could do all of those things, but I wouldn't put money on it actually being true. Also, this isn't about me thinking that they can't do it because I never could, because I was doing over 300 pounds when I played in high school and over 400 pounds when I played at A&M. Overzealous fans, parents, and coaches that are too proud; gotta love it!

BaseballUmp
07-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
The key word in all of this is "boys"....I'm not trying to be cynical or trying to down Celina at all, but you hear about all of these "boys" running 4.3 forty yard dashes and weighing so much and lifting so much, but when it comes down to it, they can't do any of those things, or even come close. I'd bet that about 90% of the kids who supposedly can run a 4.3 can do it. I have a feeling that this is close to the same sort of situation. This is due to a combination of embellishment and generous coaches thumbs on a stopwatch. In this case, it could also be the use of a hand-on-the-bar spot, wearing "bench shirts" that are worn for Powerlifting competitions, or a combination of both. Bench pressing 400 pounds at the high school level was almost unheard of when I played four years ago. The only player that I can think of from our district (the year that Cameron Yoe and Hutto played in the Regional Finals), was a player from Taylor named Chris Lamar. If these players from Celina could actually do that, then they would be making huge noise around the state in Powerlifting competitions. Simply put, I don't honestly believe that there are that many athletes lifting that amount of weight. How many members are on the Varsity team at Celina? I could be completely wrong, and would applaud the Celina players who could do all of those things, but I wouldn't put money on it actually being true. Also, this isn't about me thinking that they can't do it because I never could, because I was doing over 300 pounds when I played in high school and over 400 pounds when I played at A&M. Overzealous fans, parents, and coaches that are too proud; gotta love it!

Can't help but agree with pretty much everything you just said...a lot of people think they can do 300 and 400 wearing the bench shirts, but without that they arent coming close...and you cant always trust a middle age overweight offensive line coaches thumb

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Football_4

It's crazy what kind of stuff they market and sell these days. I don't think anybody should take something that would do that to their body, especially not a developing young man. They're setting themselves up for nothing good down the road from it. Steroids promote muscle growth, but not tendon and ligament development. What happens is the ligaments and tendons will become weak and are more prone to tearing or fraying. While their muscles might be able to support the heavy weight or the cutting done while running, the tendons and ligaments don't and give out. Plus, they stunt their growth and effect their brain development.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Can't help but agree with pretty much everything you just said...a lot of people think they can do 300 and 400 wearing the bench shirts, but without that they arent coming close...and you cant always trust a middle age overweight offensive line coaches thumb

One day me and a few guys were in the weight room and we were seeing how much you could lift by using a thumb spot. Just the bar alone was pretty easy for all of us to do without showing any signs of strain or like we were helping. Wonder how many times that happens?

garciap77
07-15-2010, 08:19 PM

LOL

orange machine
07-15-2010, 09:03 PM
I personally have not seen them lift this weight, but I have heard from some of the kids as well as parents that there are 3 players that are benching over 400lbs. That's why I said Gatordaze would know better than I would he has two boys on the varsity.

Emerson1
07-15-2010, 09:09 PM
I personally have not seen them lift this weight, but I have heard from some of the kids as well as parents that there are 3 players that are benching over 400lbs. That's why I said Gatordaze would know better than I would he has two boys on the varsity.
They are benching 400 and the running backs are all running a 4.4.

LE Dad
07-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
They are benching 400 and the running backs are all running a 4.4. :clap: :clap:

orange machine
07-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
They are benching 400 and the running backs are all running a 4.4.
Don't think any of them are that fast, but a few 4.5

ctown
07-15-2010, 10:57 PM
I don't think there are 3 kids over 400 on bench but maybe I'm wrong. I know one does in the 435 range and he is lineman. He also squats in the 560+ range. There are some other linemen who are very close to the 400 mark if not over. A couple kids squat right at 500 and they are lineman. They are not the low 4's 40 guys.

I will say I don't put any faith in any bench max that required a touch by the coach. Either you lift it or you dont. I think there a more than a few maxes recorded after coach touches in Celina so you could take a few pounds off some bench maxes but the squats are 100 good and accurate. And they are the most important lift.

Celina has nearly 150 kids who are in the HS program. Most know if they want a spot on the varsity, they have to compete with each other and sometimes even more for the coaches attention by being plugged in every day. They have to give themselves every benefit they can by lifting year round and eating well.

Don't know who any 4.3 kids are but I can tell you that Celina's team speed is incredible. Even some of the lineman are a few ticks below the 5 mark. Of course, Some are a LOT slower than the published propaganda. With maybe one exception, Team D are ALL well under 5.0

Sorry for the Scoobs who post that there's no way Celina could be that strong. Most of what has been posted about our strength is pretty close. Celina doesn't make noise in power lifting competitions cause they really dont care that much about doing it for public show. Maybe Gatordaze or someone could snap pic of the leader boards in the weight room.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by ctown
I don't think there are 3 kids over 400 on bench but maybe I'm wrong. I know one does in the 435 range and he is lineman. He also squats in the 560+ range. There are some other linemen who are very close to the 400 mark if not over. A couple kids squat right at 500 and they are lineman. They are not the low 4's 40 guys.

I will say I don't put any faith in any bench max that required a touch by the coach. Either you lift it or you dont. I think there a more than a few maxes recorded after coach touches in Celina so you could take a few pounds off some bench maxes but the squats are 100 good and accurate. And they are the most important lift.

Celina has nearly 150 kids who are in the HS program. Most know if they want a spot on the varsity, they have to compete with each other and sometimes even more for the coaches attention by being plugged in every day. They have to give themselves every benefit they can by lifting year round and eating well.

Don't know who any 4.3 kids are but I can tell you that Celina's team speed is incredible. Even some of the lineman are a few ticks below the 5 mark. Of course, Some are a LOT slower than the published propaganda. With maybe one exception, Team D are ALL well under 5.0

Sorry for the Scoobs who post that there's no way Celina could be that strong. Most of what has been posted about our strength is pretty close. Celina doesn't make noise in power lifting competitions cause they really dont care that much about doing it for public show. Maybe Gatordaze or someone could snap pic of the leader boards in the weight room.

Yeah, but you just said that the maxes were recorded after a coach had touched the bar....

Squats aren't the best lift, they're really overrated. I actually prefer hang cleans and lunges (done with a straight bar, and a true lunge) to build explosion.

orange machine
07-15-2010, 11:05 PM
That bench of 435 was what I was told also the other two were 425 and 430, even if a coach helped and I'm not saying they did these boys are still legit 400+lb bench pressers.

orange machine
07-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Not to mention two of the boys are jacked and ripped and the 3rd is is a huge 6'5 300lb lineman.

crabman
07-15-2010, 11:15 PM
We had a FRESHMAN legitimately squate 580 lbs last year..................8 TIMES !!!! That is some squatting for a young guy. He is not fat but he is wide and he is stout. He is fast too. I saw him run the 100 in the JV division at the Gobbler Relays and he competed quite well.

It will be interesting to see how pure strength translates into football skills.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Not to mention two of the boys are jacked and ripped and the 3rd is is a huge 6'5 300lb lineman.

Is that why you're such an avid Celina football follower?

Ernest T Bass
07-15-2010, 11:19 PM
but you hear about all of these "boys" running 4.3 forty yard dashes and weighing so much and lifting so much, but when it comes down to it, they can't do any of those things, or even come close. I'd bet that about 90% of the kids who supposedly can run a 4.3 can do it.

So glad someone besides myself finally said this. I always laugh anytime I hear of a HS kid running a sub-4.5 40. Sorry, but there are never more than 5 or 6 kids at a given time in the state of Texas that can do that. It's especially funny when the kid that this claim is made about can't get out of district or regionals in track. Any athlete in Texas that can run 40 yards in less than 4.5 seconds will be competing at the state track meet.

orange machine
07-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Is that why you're such an avid Celina football follower?
Well I'm not sure how to respond to that, but I played them all through school and they killed us every year then a friend of mine started coaching their and I went to a game and got hooked.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Well I'm not sure how to respond to that, but I played them all through school and they killed us every year then a friend of mine started coaching their and I went to a game and got hooked.

Was it because of the muscled up and sweaty Celina players?

orange machine
07-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Was it because of the muscled up and sweaty Celina players?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-15-2010, 11:39 PM

You set yourself up for it man haha. It would be out of my character to pass up such an opportune chance to embarrass someone else.

orange machine
07-15-2010, 11:44 PM
You set yourself up for it man haha. It would be out of my character to pass up such an opportune chance to embarrass someone else.
It's all good I know your jacking around if you didn't you wouldn't be you. By the way what is there to do in college station? My wife and daughter went with me to the 7on7 tourney and she said she couldn't find anything to do.I need to know for next year if we go.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-15-2010, 11:51 PM
It's all good I know your jacking around if you didn't you wouldn't be you. By the way what is there to do in college station? My wife and daughter went with me to the 7on7 tourney and she said she couldn't find anything to do.I need to know for next year if we go.

For families, there isn't a whole lot aside from the typical bowling/movie/restaurants.

For college students, there is plenty. There is Northgate, which is a bunch of bars and clubs across from campus. There is also Hurricane Harry's and the Texas Hall of Fame if you want to go to a dance hall. There are usually concerts going on too. Typical college stuff I guess haha.

College Station isn't that exciting, but at least I don't have to live in Lubbock.

orange machine
07-15-2010, 11:54 PM
For families, there isn't a whole lot aside from the typical bowling/movie/restaurants.

For college students, there is plenty. There is Northgate, which is a bunch of bars and clubs across from campus. There is also Hurricane Harry's and the Texas Hall of Fame if you want to go to a dance hall. There are usually concerts going on too. Typical college stuff I guess haha.

College Station isn't that exciting, but at least I don't have to live in Lubbock.
Yeah she was looking for a water park or public pool to take our daughter, she said she couldn't find anything. She did manage to find a mall so that worked for her for a little while.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Yeah she was looking for a water park or public pool to take our daughter, she said she couldn't find anything. She did manage to find a mall so that worked for her for a little while. Take her to the Student Rec Center.

orange machine
07-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Take her to the Student Rec Center.
If the college wasn't their that city would empload.

ctown
07-16-2010, 07:01 AM

Somehow when I read your posts I picture that great character of law enforcement, you know his name--Farva. Just chill and have a liter of cola.

No doubt a comeback is forthcoming.

DDBooger
07-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Somehow when I read your posts I picture that great character of law enforcement, you know his name--Farva. Just chill and have a liter of cola.

No doubt a comeback is forthcoming. You shut up meow!

ctown
07-16-2010, 07:20 AM
That's all I have to say, for meow...

Old Tiger
07-16-2010, 10:14 AM
If the Celina players were as big, fast, and strong as the Celina faithful say they would be putting out more big time division 1 players.

BleedOrange
07-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
If the Celina players were as big, fast, and strong as the Celina faithful say they would be putting out more big time division 1 players.

I believe the refrence was to this year's team. The Celina kids as a whole work hard year round but from what I am hearing the upcoming team has taken it to a new level. We shall see if that work pays off. Time will tell if it translates to any D1 players. There are a lot of factors that go into D1 quality players.

orange machine
07-16-2010, 01:22 PM

I hate that movie I have watched a few times trying to like it, but I can't do it.

ctown
07-16-2010, 01:35 PM
I know what you mean. There are some spots I can't keep from laughing and there are some that are pretty messed up. I think the part about Farva getting reved up about something the guy on the register did is like this site sometimes. You type a post that you didn't think would do too much and the next thing you know, you got a big dude coming across the counter at you trying to choke you out---at least metaphorically speaking. Please don't ban me for using the m word...

Black Swarm
07-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Summer 2009 right before senior year of high school. Argyle defensive tackle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqOFrElwaww

Someone smarter than me can probably
make the link work.

Looks like its working.

orange machine
07-16-2010, 02:32 PM
That is not a true statement at all there are lots of kids who are very strong and don't play d1 football. It takes much more than just a strong person, it takes speed, agility and probably the most important brains.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-16-2010, 03:25 PM

Well I'm not sure why I would remind you of Farva. I do some pretty stupid stuff, but I don't stick soap in anyone's coffee. I mean, I might if I worked in a job where I was someone's coffee bitch. I'd probably think it were hilarious too. I guess you might have a point after all. Hmm. Shenanigans.

gatordaze
07-16-2010, 06:41 PM

Recruiting D1 is a science that the schools have down well. Most D1 schools don't have to fish in 3A to catch their limit. They surely don't have to take a chance on a kid that is under-sized.

My son won a subscription to the ncsasports.com recruiting system at the NUC combine in April. It really is pretty cool and contains some interesting information on the topic.

I have "snagged" the recruiting guidelines and as you can see the "ante" for being a D1 player is pretty steep. Particularly so on the height and weight guideline.

Celina has had 2-3 D1 kids go D1 in recent memory and each has met the minimum listed. We have had 2-3 kids that had they met the minimum they had all the other qualities required that did not go D1 only because of their size.

Currently, by position we have only 2 kids that "project" to D1 and those 2 are getting attention. 4-5 others project to D2 and that is where they are finding interest even though they have the strength and speed at their position, they are not getting D1 looks.

Take a look at your D1 guys and tell us if they were/are in line with this.

*** This should be their measurables at the end of their Junior year off-season for D1***

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc186/jayraulerson/rguide2.jpg[/IMG]

Black Swarm
07-16-2010, 11:22 PM
When my kid was going through recruiting process we had more than one D1 school state we don't recruit DT's over 6'3.
I guess it just depends on what each school is looking for.

DDBooger
07-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Black Swarm
When my kid was going through recruiting process we had more than one D1 school state we don't recruit DT's over 6'3.
I guess it just depends on what each school is looking for. Lots of pluggers are stumpy looking, 6'1-6'3 315+

gatordaze
07-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Lots of pluggers are stumpy looking, 6'1-6'3 315+

If you look at incoming freshman rosters you will see that it is some sort of combination of all of these that fit. A DT can be shorter and slower than a DE but usually must make up for it in weight and strength. Clearly a center can be somewhat sorter than an OT. These are guidelines that if you meet Them, eliminate the question of if you have the measurables. I posted in response to the question about why Celina does not have more D1 kids and it is simply that they do not have a "combination" that works. Usually to short and light by position.

gomeangreen
07-17-2010, 11:59 AM
I prob believe the celina 400 lb lifts as for 40s maybe not. I was at a combine at Prosper and saw a celina kid (dont know who)dominate the bench over edwards I think he did 185 30+ times pretty impressive

orange machine
07-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by gomeangreen
I prob believe the celina 400 lb lifts as for 40s maybe not. I was at a combine at Prosper and saw a celina kid (dont know who)dominate the bench over edwards I think he did 185 30+ times pretty impressive
That would be Dallas Russell I believe, the kid has turned into a beast. If I'm not mistaking he benching over 400.

bobcat4life
07-17-2010, 03:24 PM
That would be Dallas Russell I believe, the kid has turned into a beast. If I'm not mistaking he benching over 400. He broke the school record this year with 430. He is a beast

fresh-j
07-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
He broke the school record this year with 430. He is a beast

And roos can get 420! :cool:

Black Swarm
07-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Is Dallas being recruited?
I cannot find him on Rivals.

orange machine
07-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Black Swarm
Is Dallas being recruited?
I cannot find him on Rivals.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?page=evaluation&recruitId=110344&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fpage%3devaluati on%26recruitId%3d110344

SWMustang
07-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Well I'm not sure why I would remind you of Farva. I do some pretty stupid stuff, but I don't stick soap in anyone's coffee. I mean, I might if I worked in a job where I was someone's coffee bitch. I'd probably think it were hilarious too. I guess you might have a point after all. Hmm. Shenanigans.

I'm gonna pistol whip the next guy who says "Shenanigans."