PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks acquire.....

waterboy
07-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Tyson Chandler and Alexis Ajinca from the Bobcats for center Erick Dampier, forward Eduardo Najera, shooting guard Matt Carroll and cash considerations.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/07/13/mavs.trade.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Don't quite know what to think about this trade. Any comments?

crzyjournalist03
07-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Tyson Chandler and Alexis Ajinca from the Bobcats for center Erick Dampier, forward Eduardo Najera, shooting guard Matt Carroll and cash considerations.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/07/13/mavs.trade.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Don't quite know what to think about this trade. Any comments?

It's all about setting the team up for financial flexibility later...they shed a ton of money in this deal and get back a player in Chandler who is better than Dampier and also has an expiring contract next year.

waterboy
07-13-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm GLAD they're getting rid of the contract of Dampier, and Chandler is a better player. I hate to see Najera go, though. He provides a spark off the bench at times with his energy and physical play. I do think the Mavericks will be a little better.......just not a lot better.

Txbroadcaster
07-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
It's all about setting the team up for financial flexibility later...they shed a ton of money in this deal and get back a player in Chandler who is better than Dampier and also has an expiring contract next year.

is he better? Not really..can he be better..yes, but as of now he is not that much better

LE Dad
07-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
is he better? Not really..can he be better..yes, but as of now he is not that much better I agree, pretty much the same player. I think losing Najeria hurts the team, and though it may help for the future financially, it will hurt Dallas some on the court next year.

maestro
07-13-2010, 05:19 PM
chandler sure gets passed around alot. thought that he had finally figured it out that year with okie/new orleans hornets. oh well. isn't it strange how some guys just get traded.

icu812
07-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Good trade for the Mavs. It also appears the Mavs have offered NY's Al Harrington their MLE. Which if he accepts will probably mean another trade may be in the works as Dallas will have an excess at the SF & PF positions.

By adding Chandler, the Mavs retain the rights to a top defensive center. Additionally, he has a $12 million expiring contract, which gives the Mavs maximum flexibility to pursue other trades during the course of the season. Dumping Carroll and Najera helps the Mavs' flexibility going forward by subtracting $6.5 million in dead weight from the 2011-12 payroll. The Mavs also get a trade exception worth $6.8 million.

No idea why the bobcats do this deal.

Txbroadcaster
07-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by icu812
Good trade for the Mavs. It also appears the Mavs have offered NY's Al Harrington their MLE. Which if he accepts will probably mean another trade may be in the works as Dallas will have an excess at the SF & PF positions.

By adding Chandler, the Mavs retain the rights to a top defensive center. Additionally, he has a $12 million expiring contract, which gives the Mavs maximum flexibility to pursue other trades during the course of the season. Dumping Carroll and Najera helps the Mavs' flexibility going forward by subtracting $6.5 million in dead weight from the 2011-12 payroll. The Mavs also get a trade exception worth $6.8 million.

No idea why the bobcats do this deal.

Who is a top defensive Center? Chandler??? He had less blocks a game than Dampier in his career

LE Dad
07-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by icu812

No idea why the bobcats do this deal. Perhaps the "and cash considerations" played a role in their decision.:thinking:

Old Tiger
07-13-2010, 10:23 PM
the nba should look into this!!!!!! :rolleyes:

BILLYFRED0000
07-14-2010, 08:09 AM
I think damp was getting inconsistent and he has bad hands anyway. Practically have to hand him the ball to get him to catch it. And after breaking his finger(open dislocation) it got worse.
Played some d but inconsistent and cost more than we got out of him. It was a good deal for the mavs. Got some flexibility on the money side and a guy that probably will contribute as much as damp did the last year. With hayward it probably works a little better for the mavs.

Farmersfan
07-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I think damp was getting inconsistent and he has bad hands anyway. Practically have to hand him the ball to get him to catch it. And after breaking his finger(open dislocation) it got worse.
Played some d but inconsistent and cost more than we got out of him. It was a good deal for the mavs. Got some flexibility on the money side and a guy that probably will contribute as much as damp did the last year. With hayward it probably works a little better for the mavs.

I agree 100%. Not only was Dampier frequently a no-show on the court but he seemed to be a moron off the court. His comments about how he considers himself the top center in the league makes me believe he might be a few tamales short of a full combination plate!!!!!! :D

I say good trade for the Mavs. I think Dampier might have been the last player left on the team that had a Low Intensity Attitude. Najera was a high energy guy but he really wasn't much of a contributor other than looking to start some crap when they put him in. Perhaps he wanted to be the NBA equivenlent of the Hockey enforcer!

eagles_victory
07-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I agree 100%. Not only was Dampier frequently a no-show on the court but he seemed to be a moron off the court. His comments about how he considers himself the top center in the league makes me believe he might be a few tamales short of a full combination plate!!!!!! :D

! That was like 6 years ago when he said that and he said he was the second best behind Shaq. Which he might not of been but at the time there were literally no good centers in the NBA other than Shaq so he might of been right. I actually like that attitude when I step on the court I want guys with me who feel like they are the best player at their position.

Im not saying Damp was great while he was in Dallas but he always did a good job on Tim Duncan in the playoffs and I think people make him out to be a lot worse than he was. But yea he is done now so I dont mind seeing him go at all just saying his whole time in Dallas wasn't a complete wash.

Bull's-eye
07-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I think this is a good move, advancing in the West, you must be able defend LA's big front line.

Old Tiger
07-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I think this is a good move, advancing in the West, you must be able defend LA's big front line. LA isn't Dallas problem. lol

big daddy russ
07-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Who is a top defensive Center? Chandler??? He had less blocks a game than Dampier in his career

Tim Duncan has never averaged over 3.0 blocks per game in his career. Shaq did it five times his first ten years in the league. Which one is the better defender?

My point is simply that stats don't tell the whole story. Chandler's every bit the defender that Dampier was in his prime.