PDA

View Full Version : Do the Rangers make the post season?

orange machine
07-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Who knows with the Rangers!

crzyjournalist03
07-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Despite their current four-game losing streak, they still have a better record than the Angels in their last ten games overall.

The Rangers have six fewer losses than the Angels right now

Cliff Lee was the absolute worst he'll be all year in his first Ranger start and still pitched a complete game.

I just don't see any way the Rangers don't come out on top in the AL West. If they somehow don't, Ron Washington should lose his job. How many other MVP candidates are getting regular days off like Hamilton and Guererro are?

bigwood33
07-12-2010, 04:22 PM
I think that this is their year. They obviously need their starting pitchers to eat up a few more innings so the bullpen can survive but if they can do that, they will be fine.
I think that Wash sometimes over manages. As an example, I thought that he should have left Tommy Hunter in the other night. He had only thrown 83 pitches.

orange machine
07-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Other than may be the Yankees they have the best players in the majors so I can't see how they don't make it unless Washington continues to play them like he has.

Txbroadcaster
07-12-2010, 04:35 PM
While I do think they win it this year I thinkg it is flawed logic to assume that if they dont win it is all Washington's fault

this team still has GAPING holes and have not shown they can win agianst better competition.

waterboy
07-12-2010, 04:48 PM
If the Rangers can play above .500 ball the rest of the way I think they will win the West. They have all the pieces in place now to make a decisive run at it. They must endure these streaks, though, because there will be many, whether winning or losing. They must find some consistency at the plate and give more run support on those nights the pitchers are struggling. The pitchers still must be able to soak up innings regardless of what the offense does. The bullpen must not be overworked. There will always be nights where the offense won't be there, but there SHOULD be a lot fewer nights when the pitching is not with the staff being anchored by the likes of Cliff Lee, C.J. Wilson, Colby Lewis, Matt Harrison, and even Feldman (who has uncharacteristicly struggled mightily this year). In a late season, or postseason run, the top 4 pitchers will emerge and carry the team so it is important that the team ERA being around 4.0 or less to have any chance. I say they will get it done.

Txbroadcaster
07-12-2010, 04:49 PM
fun fact

Since 2005, five teams (not including the Rangers) have been swept going into the All-Star break:

2009: Yankees were swept by the Angels (3 games, NYY didn't lead division after series)

2008: Indians swept the Rays (4 games, TB did not lead after series)

2007: The Tigers swept the Red Sox (3 games, Boston still led division)

2005: Oakland swept the White Sox (3 games, CHW still led division)

2005: The Mariners swept the Angels (4 games, LAA still led division)

So how did those teams finish the season?

2009 NYY: Won World Series

2008 Rays: Lost in World Series

2007 Red Sox: Won World Series

2005 White Sox: Won World Series

2005 Angels: Lost in AL Championship Series

crzyjournalist03
07-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Rangers ERA is 3.97, 5th in the AL (That's with only 1 start by the AL's #3 pitcher in ERA)

Rangers batting average is .278, 2nd in AL

Rangers OBP is .343, 4th in AL

They've plugged the hole at the top of the rotation.

They've plugged the hole at catcher with a proven veteran in Bengie Molina.

They've partially plugged a hole at the bottom of the lineup internally with a great turnaround by Julio Borbon.

Chris Davis hit over .300 after the All-Star break last year, and in a small sample size, has looked like a much better all-around hitter since getting called back up.

How does a playoff rotation of Cliff Lee, Colby Lewis, C.J. Wilson, and Tommy Hunter sound? That's not even considering potential returns by Rich Harden and/or Derek Holland, both of whom were expected to contribute far more than they have to this point.

Txbroadcaster
07-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Rangers ERA is 3.97, 5th in the AL (That's with only 1 start by the AL's #3 pitcher in ERA)

Rangers batting average is .278, 2nd in AL

Rangers OBP is .343, 4th in AL

They've plugged the hole at the top of the rotation.

They've plugged the hole at catcher with a proven veteran in Bengie Molina.

They've partially plugged a hole at the bottom of the lineup internally with a great turnaround by Julio Borbon.

Chris Davis hit over .300 after the All-Star break last year, and in a small sample size, has looked like a much better all-around hitter since getting called back up.

How does a playoff rotation of Cliff Lee, Colby Lewis, C.J. Wilson, and Tommy Hunter sound? That's not even considering potential returns by Rich Harden and/or Derek Holland, both of whom were expected to contribute far more than they have to this point.

I am not so sure Molina has plugged the hole at catcher...All the stats are nice..but they must improve agianst the good teams..they play 41 games agianst those teams in the 2nd half

orange machine
07-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
fun fact

Since 2005, five teams (not including the Rangers) have been swept going into the All-Star break:

2009: Yankees were swept by the Angels (3 games, NYY didn't lead division after series)

2008: Indians swept the Rays (4 games, TB did not lead after series)

2007: The Tigers swept the Red Sox (3 games, Boston still led division)

2005: Oakland swept the White Sox (3 games, CHW still led division)

2005: The Mariners swept the Angels (4 games, LAA still led division)
Thanks for the fun fact Paul Blart, I love that movie!

So how did those teams finish the season?

2009 NYY: Won World Series

2008 Rays: Lost in World Series

2007 Red Sox: Won World Series

2005 White Sox: Won World Series

2005 Angels: Lost in AL Championship Series

orange machine
07-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the fun fact Paul Blart I love that movie!