PDA

View Full Version : A real life "feel good" story!

Ranger Mom
07-12-2010, 10:37 AM
I have always known that my daughter-in-law (Kat) was adopted. She had expressed interest once in locating her bio-family…not so much to meet them, but just wondered where they were. She knew that she had 3 biological sisters and she was the 4th and was put up for adoption at birth.

She was raised in Balmoreah and then moved to Pecos and then her (adoptive) parents divorced and she and her mother moved to Midland. She went to Midland Christian Schools and was basically an only child. Her dad had kids from a previous marriage which she refers to as her “half” siblings, when in reality, there was no blood relation. They lived with their mother though, so she was raised as an only child. She was “THE PRINCESS” and I was kind of worried when my son, Chad, started dating her that she would be too expensive for him….that and the fact that I didn’t really like her mom either!! :DAnyway, she and my son got married and have a boy who is a 1-1/2 yrs. old and everything is going fine.

Several months ago, Kat and my daughter were on the computer when all the sudden Kat says, “let’s see if we can find my bio-parents.” They started searching for “John Glenn and Debra Glenn” which were her bio parent’s names…..it brought up a slew of people. They weren’t sure where to go from there.

As they were talking Kat mentioned that she used to know all of her sister’s names, but couldn’t remember the oldest ones name and couldn’t remember what disease she was born with, but she knew she had something. She said 2 of their names were Shyla and Amanda….my daughter’s eyes flew up and she said, “Shyla Glenn”, Amanda Glenn?.....is your other sister Savanah and she has cerebral palsy??” Kat said, “YES!! How did you know??” Ashton said, “they live in Greenwood!! I went to school with Shyla, Amanda was in Shane’s Grade and Savanah was a year older than Chad!!” (Chad and Shane are my sons.)

Now…..I met “The Glenn’s” several years ago when one of their boys (Patrick) was playing football. His parents were going to make him quit because they didn’t want to have to pick him up after practice. I talked with them and we made a deal that he could play if I would bring him home from practice and home after the games. That was fine with me, I felt sorry for him, they never went to any of his games. They were nice enough people, not much money, but that's not the most important thing. They had a blended family, the dad (John) came into the marriage with 3 girls, the mom (or stepmom-Becca) had 3 of her own. They have 2 together. The boy played football that one year(middle school) and then never went out for football or sports of any kind, again. That was the last time I saw the family.

Okay…..enough background! Fast forward to 8 months ago. I was at a birthday party for a little girl and Becca (the stepmom) showed up and I started asking about Patrick. She went on to tell me about how everyone was doing, and the then she said…..and we worry constantly about “Winter Dawn” because we haven’t heard anything about her since she was 5, and we just hope and pray that she is doing okay. I knew exactly who she was talking about, because I knew that Kat was supposed to be “Winter Dawn” had she not been given up.

I didn’t know what to do..but I couldn’t stand it. I told her, “there is no reason to worry about her, she is doing great.” She asked me how I know…did I know her? I told her, “Yes, she is my married to my son!”

You can imagine how that went over….she immediately called all three girls and the dad and told them she had found “Winter Dawn.” I then had to get on my phone and call Kat and let her know I let the cat out of the bag (pardon the pun!) She was okay with it though.

She has been corresponding with 2 of them a little via myspace….but Kat, who is just naturally shy, has been terrified to meet them. She wanted to, but it was so overwhelming to her. So it has just kinda sat in limbo for the past few months.

Saturday afternoon, my son ran into a guy he hadn’t seen in years at the store. He told him to bring his 2 little girls over to swim with his daughter. Chris showed up and as we started visiting I realized he was the middle sister’s (Amanda) husband. He called Amanda and told her to come over and meet us. She was there a little later and I was stunned how much she reminded me of Kat….in looks and mannerisms.

She talked a lot about wanting to meet her and not wanting to pressure her….and how blessed Kat was that she hadn’t been raised in that family! She said she has always felt a connection to her unknown sister and she would just love to meet her when Kat was ready.

Amanda brought her girls back over yesterday to swim….along with her 7 month old baby boy…who coincidentally, was born on Kat’s birthday. My other daughter-in-law…also named Amanda (for some added confusion) sent Kat a text message and told her she was sitting on the deck with her sister. To make an extremely long story a little bit shorter, Kat decided to come on out to my house to meet one of her biological sister’s for the first time.

Because I am a sucker for these kind of stories, I didn’t take any pictures of the first meeting, the hug, all the good stuff….because I couldn’t see through my tears.

You could see an instant connection…..2 girls, so much alike in looks, height, body build…..from 2 completely different walks of life…..found a common ground almost immediately. I asked Kat a few hours later how she was feeling…..she said she felt great. She said, “I don’t know hardly anything about her, but I feel like I have known her all my life.”

Here is a picture I took a little later. The picture doesn’t really show how much alike they really look. But the similarities are amazing if you see them in person!!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/KRSimmons/img1278943555698.jpg

(l) Amanda and (r) Kat

Ranger Mom
07-12-2010, 10:45 AM
I guess I should have added that Kat was given up for adoption by the mother...the parents were divorcing. The dad never wanted to give her up, but he had already won custody of the 3 girls, who were 1, 3 and 4 and couldn't see any way he could take care of newborn too.

IMO, they both did the most unselfish thing they could and gave her a better life.

At this point, because of things she has heard, Kat has no desire to meet her bio mother or one of her sisters.

She wants to meet the bio-dad next....who has had a picture of Kat fishing when she was 4, on his visor of every vehicle he has ever owned.

ccmom
07-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for sharing, RM. Sniff, sniff...:)

MUSTANG69
07-12-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't know how in the h_ll you were able to keep this story straight. I'm totally confused.:D

Seriously, what a great fairy-tale ending.:clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
07-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
I don't know how in the h_ll you were able to keep this story straight. I'm totally confused.:D

Seriously, what a great fairy-tale ending.:clap: :clap:

I know it's confusing......I edited it several times to try and make it less so.

I had 3 "Amandas" at my house at one point yesterday....talk about confusing!!:vrycnfsd: :crazy1:

44INAROW
07-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Nice story Kellye - It's a small world :)

AP Panther Fan
07-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Nice story Kellye - It's a small world :)

Her in-depth coverage reminded me of you.;)

Kellye - I swear you have the strangest things that 1) if they don't happen to you directly they 2) happen to someone you know well.

I am glad this story has a somewhat good ending (so far). The girls do look alike. They are even dressed alike in that photo.:cool:

You will have to keep us posted on how it goes with your daughter-in-law meeting the remaining biological family members. I am glad that she is happy and perhaps it will give her the strength to meet the others (all the while keeping it in perspective).

BILLYFRED0000
07-12-2010, 03:14 PM
hey that is totally cool rmom. one of those great its a small world stories.

sinton66
07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm very happy for Kat. She sounds like a fairly strong young lady. Thanks for sharing Kel.;)

IrishTex
07-12-2010, 08:27 PM
That was a good story RM..I appreciated it.

I think it's important for people to know it's not where ya start, but where ya finish. Excellent story...but I think we better get some jerseys with names and numbers on the back..:D

eagles_victory
07-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/KRSimmons/img1278943555698.jpg

(l) Amanda and (r) Kat Not bad Chad.

Ranger Mom
07-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Not bad Chad.

LOL!!

BullsFan
07-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Awwww!!!! I'm happy for all in question, but especially for Kat who seems to have been such an innocent in all that's happened to her. What a great ending!! I think God might have had a hand in that.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Not bad Chad.

I was thinking the same thing, Kat is pretty hott. He'd better hope I never meet her or I'll steal her away for a night or two haha.

Ranger Mom
07-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I was thinking the same thing, Kat is pretty hott. He'd better hope I never meet her or I'll steal her away for a night or two haha.

She doesn't like Aggies......sorry!!:p

Ranger Mom
07-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
That was a good story RM..I appreciated it.

I think it's important for people to know it's not where ya start, but where ya finish. Excellent story...but I think we better get some jerseys with names and numbers on the back..:D

LOL Lew...I agree!!

When I had all 3 Amanda's over here, they all had nicknames.

My daughter in law's nephews call her "Danda" so that's what I called her.

The new sister nickname is "Bounce" so I called her that.

And the remaining Amanda has been called "Sally" for a while. That nickname came about by being called Salamander for so long.....Amanda = Salamanda = Sally.

It's not much more confusing when I (Kellye) was married to a guy named Kelly and had a sister-in-law named Kelli. We all had nicknames too....Kellye Girl, Kelly Boy and Lil Kel.