PDA

View Full Version : Another good story about my cousin's son

Pick6
07-12-2010, 08:21 AM
http://www.stwnewspress.com/sports/x279774856/Texas-player-makes-triumphant-return

Texas player makes triumphant return
Owen can come through at plate while battling leukemia

By Brett Barger bbarger@stwnewspress.com

STILLWATER, Okla. — When Jake Owen came on to pinch hit for the Burkburnett (Texas) Black Sox Saturday night, he hit a two-run double at Allie P. Reynolds Stadium that started a five-run rally to clinch a win and a berth in the Best of Southwest championship bracket.

“Jake Owen’s at-bat was probably one of the best at-bats I’ve seen in baseball,” coach Brandon Elizarraras said.

His clutch hit was more than just a spark that led to a team win. It was a victory for Owen, himself.

In April, he collided with another player at a high school baseball game. After complaining of stomach pains, he was rushed to a nearby hospital. After blood tests were inconclusive, he was sent to a downtown Dallas hospital.

After running more tests, doctors told Owen he had Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. The National Marrow Donor Program says more than 20,000 Americans have CML.

Had Owen not ruptured his spleen, the cancer may not have been discovered.

“It was a good thing he got hurt,” said Owen’s mother, Kari.

Jake had surgery the next day, where doctors discovered he had three spleens, and that one of the extra spleens was ruptured. He started his chemotherapy, which is taken via pill, that day and has continued with that treatment.

Itoften leaves Jake fatigued, limiting his playing time. His two-run double Saturday was his first at-bat of the tournament. When he gets into a game, he is limited to 2-3 innings before fatigue forces him to the bench.

When the Black Sox recorded the final out, Jake was one of the first to reach the pitchers mound to celebrate the win.

“I’m just glad I got the chance to play,” Jake said.

Elizarraras said Jake always has a smile on his face when he’s out on the diamond with his teammates.

“The one thing about the kid is that no matter how he’s feeling, he comes through,” Elizarraras said. “He’s a spark for us, and a team leader. It’s just a game.

“With what he’s dealing with in life, if he can come to the yard happy and in a good mood, there’s no reason our other guys can’t. He’s a great kid.”

The family has received support from friends, family and members of the Dallas community. Schools in the Dallas area took up donations and hosted drives to raise money for Jake’s medical treatments.The Black Sox have given Jake support as well; each morning, they make sure Jake takes his chemo pill.

On top of Jake’s diagnosis, Kari and her two sons have experienced personal tragedy. On Jan. 28, Kari’s husband, Perry, was killed in a car accident on his way home from work.

“It was just like a movie,” Kari said. “They come to your house and say, you know. … It’s been a rough year.”

When asked how she keeps going, Kari said it’s her children that keeps her going, along with her faith in God.

“I get up every day for those two boys,” Kari said.

Jake said his mom has been the glue that has kept their family together through tragedy and adversity.

“I love her to death,” Jake said. “She’s the strongest woman in the world that I know.”

When asked why he wants to keep playing baseball, despite his condition, Jake said it was about a promise.

“My dad wants me to play baseball. I want to make him proud. I just want to keep playing,” Jake said.

Kari said Jake had a bone marrow biopsy last week. The results haven’t came back yet. But, on a warm summer night at Reynolds Stadium, Kari and Jake got to take in his accomplishment and forget their troubles for a while.

“I was crying,” Kari said about Jake’s hit. “He’s doing what he’s always wanted to do since he was little. It was exciting.”

ccmom
07-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks for posting an update! So good to hear he has been able to return to the game. :clap:

rcbulldog34
07-13-2010, 04:52 PM
pick6 I'm proud to say I know Jake and he is a fine young man.
glad to hear hes doing well. can't wait to see he play for the bulldogs next year.:clap:

Ranger Mom
07-13-2010, 07:42 PM
That is an awesome story....WTG Jake!!!