PDA

View Full Version : Dave Campbell/Texas Football or The Old Coach/FNF

Milk That Cow
07-11-2010, 12:51 AM
Which is the better magazine?

I give the edge to The Old Coach...

buckeyebob
07-11-2010, 04:25 AM
Will have to wait to vote...still waiting on the mail.

3afan
07-11-2010, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by buckeyebob

ya me too

is TOC just HS?

Lake Pirate
07-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Let's see..........DCTF has Mathis winning district. TOC has Mathis finishing "FOURTH" behind Sinton, Ingleside, and Rockport-Fulton. This is a 'no-brainer' DCTF is the better magazine. ;)

Johnny Utah
07-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Milk, the Buffs are still going to suffer this year in the new district. I think the season last year is going to carry over, much turmoil. The facilities are looking much better, guess that is turf going in?? Now, COME ON TIGERS!!! Win the Bell and Get some Playoff wins!!

Sweetwater Red
07-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
ya me too

is TOC just HS?

TOC is strictly HS football and it covers it more thoroughly and accurately than DCTF.

fresh-j
07-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Haven't got to see the old coach mag yet, but who can argue with the classical dave cambells :D

oldtownag
07-12-2010, 08:14 AM
The FNF people made a huge tacticle error. If you are the new kid on the block you need to get your magazine out first!

Matthew328
07-12-2010, 08:21 AM
It wasn't a tactical error, I know we wanted to have it out..but we had several writers flake out on us in West Texas and South Texas so we had to scramble to find someone to write their previews. Before the guys flaked on us it wa set for June 1 release. Good help is always hard to find.

Pawdaddy
07-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Do you have to subscribe or should it be on the shelf? Wal-Mart did not have it on Friday.

MUSTANG69
07-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Haven't found the TOC mag in the Ingleside/Aransas Pass area. If anyone knows where to get it around here please let me know.

CheerMom
07-12-2010, 08:51 AM
The copy that we bought was completely missing the 2a section and partially some of 1a. It was missing like 25 pages. Bought another copy and had all the pages, but our QB wasn't even listed in the preview for our team. I was more than a little disappointed.

Cowboy_Up
07-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Can't find it in the coastal bend area...anyone seen one down here?

Cowboy_Up
07-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by CheerMom
The copy that we bought was completely missing the 2a section and partially some of 1a. It was missing like 25 pages. Bought another copy and had all the pages, but our QB wasn't even listed in the preview for our team. I was more than a little disappointed.
I wondered how well they would cover the smaller schools in So TX. TOC has always had a DFW focus.

LE Dad
07-12-2010, 09:16 AM
I doubt there is alot of difference between them when it comes to Texarkana. No one ever takes the time to really look at any of our teams except for the year after they win SC.:dispntd: :dispntd:

Matthew328
07-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by CheerMom

No doubt our guys in South Texas didn't go a great job. They did OK in some spots but bad in others...hopefully next year we find some better help and I think we will...for a first time magazine I think it'll get better and better..if it doesn't then we shouldn't do a magazine....

SintonFan_inAustin
07-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Lake Pirate
Let's see..........DCTF has Mathis winning district. TOC has Mathis finishing "FOURTH" behind Sinton, Ingleside, and Rockport-Fulton. This is a 'no-brainer' DCTF is the better magazine. ;) :) I'll go with the one that pick Sinton to win it.

But if you think about it any of those 4 teams can possibly make a run for the district title.

DDBooger
07-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
Can't find it in the coastal bend area...anyone seen one down here? Someone on texaaaasports found one in Flour Bluff HEB

Lake Pirate
07-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Someone on texaaaasports found one in Flour Bluff HEB

Mathis H.E.B. has copies and so does the WalMart in Calallen. I know it's not exactly Flour Bluff area, but just in case you're passing thru. Happy Hunting!

pirate4state
07-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
No doubt our guys in South Texas didn't go a great job. They did OK in some spots but bad in others...hopefully next year we find some better help and I think we will...for a first time magazine I think it'll get better and better..if it doesn't then we shouldn't do a magazine.... There is your problem...you only ask guys ;) :p

Sville
07-12-2010, 01:20 PM
I think they are both great to be honest, and as long as they are being produced I will continue to buy both.

Matthew328
07-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
There is your problem...you only ask guys ;) :p

if a girl wants to chime in and work some district previews we'll take her also!

buckeyebob
07-13-2010, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by buckeyebob

...and still waiting

MUSTANG69
07-13-2010, 07:33 AM
How did ya'll determine what areas this magazine was going to be distributed in? If I want one it appears I'll have to drive 40 miles to get it. Nope, not gonna happen.

bigwood33
07-13-2010, 07:40 AM
I think that the poll is flawed. If you are asking about high school football only then FNF is better. Texas Football is more than that and is outstanding in it's own right. Today my greatest interest is high school football so I give the nod to FNF.

ronwx5x
07-13-2010, 10:23 AM
With 500+ views and only 29 votes at this point, there must be a large number of fans who don't have the magazine to compare. I've checked HEB, Borders and WalMart with no luck. I would go to Barnes and Noble but it is at the mall and I hate that traffic and poor parking.:thinking:

Matthew328
07-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Distributors determine where the magazine will be not us per se.

Emerson1
07-13-2010, 02:49 PM
That must have decided it will not come to our house.

MUSTANG69
07-16-2010, 07:49 AM
HEB in Aransas Pass finally has it. From what little I have read I like it. I especially like the part where TOC has Ingleside 2nd in district 30. DCTF had them fourth.:D

Emerson1
07-16-2010, 08:21 AM
DC just because it has more content. I read the entire college and NFL sections.

There isn't much more you can write about the HSs. It's all the same information in both magazines can re-written with different cliches.

Matthew328
07-16-2010, 09:40 AM
I think one thing we did try and improve in FNF was to give the small schools more attention...that was one area I think can really be improved is at the 2A and 3A level.

hookandladder
07-16-2010, 10:23 AM
The Old Coach has LG making the playoffs however the reveiw of our team must have not included our new Coaches opinion of our team. Someone just looked at what we have returning and not what we have moving up.

Matthew328
07-16-2010, 10:26 AM
You are correct, we were not able to get any info from LaGrange due to the coaching change

waterboy
07-16-2010, 11:11 PM
I FINALLY found a copy. I found it at the Gilmer Road Wal-Mart in Longview. Great magazine! A couple of suggestions, though. Maybe next year y'all can do a championship game recap at the end of each classification with game stats, and do like DCTF does at the back of the book, i.e. show past state champs and HS records..... I definitely enjoyed the magazine, though.:2thumbsup

SHSBulldog00
07-16-2010, 11:19 PM
What does TOC/FNF say about Sweeny?

Rocket
07-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
I doubt there is alot of difference between them when it comes to Texarkana. No one ever takes the time to really look at any of our teams except for the year after they win SC.:dispntd: :dispntd:

Texarkana? :thinking: Who cares...

LE Dad
07-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
Texarkana? :thinking: Who cares... LOL!! I am sure Texarkana still causes you to lose sleep.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lions may be kings of the jungle, but T-High Tigers rule the turf in 4A.:D...

and now that ya'll are down in 3A the LE Leopards have just one thing to say....

Here ....kitty, kitty,kitty! :p :devil:

Old Green
07-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
Can't find it in the coastal bend area...anyone seen one down here? I bought one at Hastings on Navarro in Victoria Yesterday.

bobcat4life
07-19-2010, 11:14 AM
still no luck....

Third
07-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Finally found a copy at a San Antonio Wal-Mart. Nice magazine, HUGE size. Wasn't expecting that. Kinda hard to hold and read. Anyways, overall it was great though. Good to see high school football get an entire magazine devoted to it. I'm not big on the recruiting and whatnot so that entire section did nothing for me but overall, the district picks were a fine read, nice and informative and I know how hard that can be to do. I'd love to see more action shots. I love great photos.