PDA

View Full Version : Astros sign 16yr old Dominican

SHSBulldog00
07-09-2010, 12:38 AM
The Astros made one of the biggest splashes in the international signing period Wednesday, reaching an agreement with 16-year-old Dominican free agent outfielder Ariel Ovando.

Terms of the minor-league contract were not immediately disclosed, but Baseball America reported that Ovando's signing bonus is between $2.6 million and $2.8 million, which is believed to be a franchise record for an amateur player.

"We’re extremely excited to get Ariel into the Astros organization,” general manager Ed Wade said. "Ariel profiles as a middle-of-the-order power hitter with excellent defensive skills."

Ovando, a 6-4, 180-pound lefthanded-hitting right fielder, was considered one of this year’s top July 2 prospects in Latin America. Latin players are eligible to be signed if they are 16 years old by July 2. He'll turn 17 on Sept. 15.

Astros scouting director Bobby Heck described Ovando as an advanced hitter for his age who reminds him of Jason Heyward, Fred McGriff and Carlos Delgado.

Ovando is expected to report to the Astros Latin American complex in Boca Chica, Dominican Republic, in a few days and then will be scheduled to participate in the Florida Instructional League in Kissimmee, Fla., in September.

JasperDog94
07-09-2010, 08:32 AM
The Astros actually spent some money for a prospect?:eek: :eek:

big daddy russ
07-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Heck yes! How long has it been since we've had an elite prospect in our system? Richard Hidalgo?

Who knows, maybe this kid and Jordan Lyles will both develop into elite prospects. Wouldn't that be nice?

Emerson1
07-09-2010, 12:09 PM
He is probably really 22

MUSTANG69
07-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Heck yes! How long has it been since we've had an elite prospect in our system? Richard Hidalgo?

Who knows, maybe this kid and Jordan Lyles will both develop into elite prospects. Wouldn't that be nice?

I have watched Jordan Lyles a couple of times this year. I think it will be several years before he is ready. He hasn't impressed me that much.

big daddy russ
07-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
I have watched Jordan Lyles a couple of times this year. I think it will be several years before he is ready. He hasn't impressed me that much.

MUSTANG69
07-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Who knows, maybe this kid <strike>and Jordan Lyles</strike> will <strike>both</strike> develop into elite prospects. Wouldn't that be nice?

I think it's possible. Lyles just needs to mature mentally at a comfortable pace. He definitely has the talent. I just hope the Astros don't try to bring him up too fast. He needs to stay in AA(CC Hooks) for a couple of years then maybe a year or two in AAA (Round Rock).

eagleqb_14
07-10-2010, 09:34 AM
thats so cool