PDA

View Full Version : Older than dirt?

SintonFan
07-08-2010, 09:46 PM
I got this from a friend on another forum and thought it would be cool to share.:cool:

'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.

'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. !

'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, never wore Levis, never set foot on a golf course, never traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only atSears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck.

Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow)

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 13.

It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a..m. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.

I was 17 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.'

When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had..

I never had a telephone in my room.

The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home But milk was and so were bread and doughnuts!!

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend :

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about.

Ratings at the bottom.

1.. Blackjack chewing gum
2.Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers7. Party lineson the telephone
8 Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11.. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels[if you were fortunate])
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15.S&H greenstamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You' re older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really OLD friends....

Enjoy! I scored around 20...
:cool: :)

MUSTANG69
07-09-2010, 07:28 AM
I remembered 24. I must have got here before dirt.:D

Old Dog
07-11-2010, 08:56 PM
More OLD dirt here........................and proud still to be around.

Phil C
07-11-2010, 10:39 PM
I even remember when pickups had starters on the floor. You had to turn the key on and then press on the starter to get it started. I remember you could get a candy bar and coke for ten cents. And man people thought it was terrible when PREMIUM gasoline reached 30 cents a gallen.

nobogey72
07-13-2010, 05:59 PM
a pack of Sweet Tarts was 5 cents. And, you could sell the empty coke bottles back to the grocery store for 5 cents. You could sell used coat hangers back to the cleaners for 1 cent for every 2. I used to go up to ACU (ACC back then) and go through the empty dorm rooms getting coat hangers and selling them bad boys. Having a quarter in your pocket was a big deal. Oh yeah, and Big Hunks, Chick-o-Sticks, and Bit-o Honeys were three of the favorite candy bars. Everybody rode their bikes to school, everyday, regardless of the weather. If it was raining you just wore your galoshes and those ugly-ass yellow rain coats. And, at school, your coat or rain coat or sweater or whatever was referred to as a "wrap". We traded "disks" with our girlfriends. We might not ever talk to them for weeks at a time, but we traded disks with them. Disks were a little round thing you wore on a chain around your neck that had your name on it. Typewriters made a ding when you were close to the end of a line. And, it seems there must not have been mosquitoes back then because we all played outside till way after dark and I just don't remember there being mosquitoes. But, there were lots of locusts, horny toads, and red ants. Seems like they're all gone too. That's all I can think of for now.

BEAST
07-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I remember as a young kid riding my bike to the locally owned convenient store and getting my dad a pack of cigaretts and the man just wrote on a pad of paper. My dad would go pay the following day.

I remember playing with the boys and girls in the neighborhood from sun up till after sun down during the summer. We had the greatest toy of all, our imaginations. No Xbox or Wii. I dont know why kids dont play that way anymore. That was the funnest times of my childhood. My 3 boys play outside a lot, however, seldom do you see any of the other kids outside. Must be too hot, or the infamous child snatcher that so many parents are worried sick about. It was a real treat to get a bottle of coke. Nobody had them by the case in their fridge. You had to go to the store and get one, that didnt happen often.

Here is one for ya, Sunday lunch. I cant remember ever going out to eat at lunch on Sunday unless my mother was sick or some other rare occurance. She always had a big spread for Sunday lunch after church. Then when I was allowed to get up from the table, me and the rest of the kids would play until dark. Man I miss those times.

BEAST

Ranger Mom
07-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
I remember as a young kid riding my bike to the locally owned convenient store and getting my dad a pack of cigaretts and the man just wrote on a pad of paper. My dad would go pay the following day.

I remember playing with the boys and girls in the neighborhood from sun up till after sun down during the summer. We had the greatest toy of all, our imaginations. No Xbox or Wii. I dont know why kids dont play that way anymore. That was the funnest times of my childhood. My 3 boys play outside a lot, however, seldom do you see any of the other kids outside. Must be too hot, or the infamous child snatcher that so many parents are worried sick about. It was a real treat to get a bottle of coke. Nobody had them by the case in their fridge. You had to go to the store and get one, that didnt happen often.

Here is one for ya, Sunday lunch. I cant remember ever going out to eat at lunch on Sunday unless my mother was sick or some other rare occurance. She always had a big spread for Sunday lunch after church. Then when I was allowed to get up from the table, me and the rest of the kids would play until dark. Man I miss those times.

BEAST

Amen!!!

I grew up in very small town in NM until I was 9, then we moved to Texas.

I remember when I was around 7 or 8 me and my little brother and sister were getting on my mom's last nerve.

She loaded us up in the old station wagon and made us get out of the car at the city limit sign and drove off.

She told us not to bother coming back home until we were ready to behave. It was about a 4 mile walk back home.

:D :D

Can you imagine the trouble she would have been in today???

95mustang
07-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST

Amen. Sunday lunch was a staple in my childhood. We would all go to church then head to Mamaw and Papaw's house for fried chicken (freshly plucked from the roost prior to leaving for church), home made gravy, home made bread, and all kinds sides and deserts. Oh how I miss those days!

The experiences of this past week really hit home for me, and made me and much of my family remember the times we had growing up. My kids do not know that luxury and it is sad that many of the family that we were around my kids didn't even know.

MUSTANG69
07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
All these things being mentioned sure bring back a lot of memories. Sunday lunch after church, playing outisde until late at night, buying RC Cola and putting peanuts in it bring back a lot of memories. The one thing that was great about growing up at Ingleside-on-the-Bay was that our house was about a hundred yards from the water. If you wanted to go swimming you just jumped in the bay and had a great time. That just couldn't be beat for fun.:)

ronwx5x
07-19-2010, 02:21 PM
I remember milk in double-necked glass bottles, unhomogenized. My mother would skim the cream off the top and we actually drank "skim" milk. I suppose that's where the name came from. The opening of the milk bottle was simply closed with a round piece of cardboard that had a pull tab. The bottles were refillable and had to be returned.

I even remember when margarine (we called it oleo) was sold white and there was a small package of food coloring that came with it if you wanted to make it look more like butter. Butter pats at the restaurant were square and margarine came in triangles so you could distinguish what you were being served.

When you ordered your coffee with cream, you actually got cream. Half and Half was invented as a cost saving measure. The cream came in a tiny pitcher with a pour spout. Cups were made of glazed porcelain and actually kept the coffee hot.

Automobiles all had standard transissions and an air conditioner was unheard of. My folk's first car with an a/c was a used Packard, around 1954.

BEAST
07-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I remember milk in double-necked glass bottles, unhomogenized. My mother would skim the cream off the top and we actually drank "skim" milk. I suppose that's where the name came from. The opening of the milk bottle was simply closed with a round piece of cardboard that had a pull tab. The bottles were refillable and had to be returned.

I even remember when margarine (we called it oleo) was sold white and there was a small package of food coloring that came with it if you wanted to make it look more like butter. Butter pats at the restaurant were square and margarine came in triangles so you could distinguish what you were being served.

When you ordered your coffee with cream, you actually got cream. Half and Half was invented as a cost saving measure. The cream came in a tiny pitcher with a pour spout. Cups were made of glazed porcelain and actually kept the coffee hot.

Automobiles all had standard transissions and an air conditioner was unheard of. My folk's first car with an a/c was a used Packard, around 1954.

Its funny you brought up ACs in cars. I was talking to mom yesterday about that and she said those brutal hot summer days in the car with the windows down sure felt good. Then when the got an AC they didnt know what to do with themselves. LOL

BEAST

BEAST
07-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
Amen. Sunday lunch was a staple in my childhood. We would all go to church then head to Mamaw and Papaw's house for fried chicken (freshly plucked from the roost prior to leaving for church), home made gravy, home made bread, and all kinds sides and deserts. Oh how I miss those days!

The experiences of this past week really hit home for me, and made me and much of my family remember the times we had growing up. My kids do not know that luxury and it is sad that many of the family that we were around my kids didn't even know.

Man my heart goes out to your family. Prayers are still being sent.

BEAST

SintonFan
07-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Do yall mind if I post these responses on another board? I think folks would enjoy these thoughts.:)

95mustang
07-20-2010, 08:35 PM
not at all.

Old Dog
07-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Remember when all telephone calls went thru the local operator? In most little towns the operator was the most knowledgeable person in town. She (usually a lady) many times had a switchboard overlooking the town square.....so she heard AND saw 80% of everything that took place.

One of my dear friends tells the following story. He had to be out of town the week prior to a school sponsored dance. He started calling girls to get a date for the dance, but was having no luck.....all the girls were spoken for. Well the telephone operator, Miss Ella, said "Bill call so and so, no one has asked her". Bill called the suggested young lady and sure enough, got the date.

What memories.....................

BEAST
07-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Do yall mind if I post these responses on another board? I think folks would enjoy these thoughts.:)

Fine by me.

BEAST

ronwx5x
07-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Remember when all telephone calls went thru the local operator? In most little towns the operator was the most knowledgeable person in town. She (usually a lady) many times had a switchboard overlooking the town square.....so she heard AND saw 80% of everything that took place.

One of my dear friends tells the following story. He had to be out of town the week prior to a school sponsored dance. He started calling girls to get a date for the dance, but was having no luck.....all the girls were spoken for. Well the telephone operator, Miss Ella, said "Bill call so and so, no one has asked her". Bill called the suggested young lady and sure enough, got the date.

What memories.....................

Our number was 306J, a party line. First you picked up the phone to see if anyone was using it. Of course as a child we NEVER listened in. My mother was actually an operator for several years so I go to see the inside of the office. Very large switchboard and the ladies just plugged in manually and made the connection. If I needed to talk to my mother, I just picked up the phone and said "Mom"!

Hope folks find this stuff interesting.

Old Dog
07-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Share away, I think it's great.

Thanks ronwx5x for your recollections; those too conjured up even more of my own long buried thoughts. It's funny when you think about, but so many different people had a hand in your "raisin" by just being there and a tiny part of your life.

I hope all of you on this board have fond memories of you childhood as I do.\ of mine.

SintonFan
07-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Thank you very much, yall.:)

SintonFan
07-22-2010, 08:54 PM
I remember the first time I tasted store bought milk. I thought, "People drank this watered down crap???
We milked goats every day and kept it in the refrigerator less it spoiled quick.
Home-made goats milk vanilla ice cream was awesome, and yes we(me and my brothers) had to take turns hand-cranking the ice cream maker.

95mustang
07-23-2010, 10:52 AM
I remember the first time I tasted store bought milk. I thought, "People drank this watered down crap???
We milked goats every day and kept it in the refrigerator less it spoiled quick.
Home-made goats milk vanilla ice cream was awesome, and yes we(me and my brothers) had to take turns hand-cranking the ice cream maker.

I found an old hand crank ice cream maker in my grandparents things a few months ago. I snatched it up and brought it home because I have many memories of setting on top of it when I was younger while it was cranked and then cranking it myself when I got older as my brother set on it. I haven't got to use it yet, but I plan on it!

ronwx5x
07-23-2010, 11:30 AM

If goats milk is so great, why don't you still drink it?:D

I 'll bet your kids would have something "tacky" to say about it.:thmbdwn:

SintonFan
07-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
If goats milk is so great, why don't you still drink it?:D

I 'll bet your kids would have something "tacky" to say about it.:thmbdwn:

You can buy it in the store today. Sorry I live in the city now.:D