PDA

View Full Version : Romo the QB Now Romo the Leader

Txbroadcaster
07-08-2010, 10:39 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys

This is being wrote by someone who has done his best at times to pick apart Romo

As of right now Romo is 3rd all time in QB rating.

Farmersfan
07-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys

This is being wrote by someone who has done his best at times to pick apart Romo

As of right now Romo is 3rd all time in QB rating.

I think getting Terrel Owens out of the mix will have bigger impact on Romo than any of us really know! It really should be TONY"S team now.

SintonFan
07-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Good for Romo!:thumbsup:

Txbroadcaster
07-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I think getting Terrel Owens out of the mix will have bigger impact on Romo than any of us really know! It really should be TONY"S team now.

I agree..even though I think the locker room drama was overblown, I do think simply not having a WR of his nature in the locker room allowed Romo to become the true leader of the offense with everyone falling in line

LE Dad
07-08-2010, 11:31 AM
I think the Cowboys may have all the pieces this year. My big concerns are O line and secondary, but if some players fill those roles this could be a big year in big D.

Bull's-eye
07-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Better redzone production could be the key. Cleaning up those silly penalties (no more Flozell) and finding Romo a big time target (Dez Bryant) should help. Dallas was #2 in offensive averaging 399 yds per game, but only #14 in scoring (22.6 pts per game).

Farmersfan
07-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Better redzone production could be the key. Cleaning up those silly penalties (no more Flozell) and finding Romo a big time target (Dez Bryant) should help. Dallas was #2 in offensive averaging 399 yds per game, but only #14 in scoring (22.6 pts per game).

I said all year that scoring was their achilles hill and would be their downfall. They were ranked 3rd in just the NFC East in points scored (barely ahead of Washington) last year and if not for a dominating defense that was ranked #1 they don't even make the playoffs.

Bull's-eye
07-08-2010, 05:45 PM
I said all year that scoring was their achilles hill and would be their downfall. They were ranked 3rd in just the NFC East in points scored (barely ahead of Washington) last year and if not for a dominating defense that was ranked #1 they don't even make the playoffs.

Former head coach Bill Parcels states that a team should score 7 pts for every 100 yards of offense. Going by that formula, Dallas should of averaged 28 pts per game. From what I read, the Cowboys have really put a major emphasis on upgrading their redzone production.

Even though the defense was dominating, a few more forced turnovers would definitely help our scoring. The two Dallas safeties only recorded one interception, a number that should improve with a healthy Sensabaugh (played with a cast most of the year). Those turnovers provide a shorter field, which increases the percentage for scoring more TD's.

Txbroadcaster
07-09-2010, 06:45 AM
if not for a dominating defense that was ranked #1 they don't even make the playoffs.

The D was not quite dominating..Did not get enough turnovers and also did not get off the field quick enough.

One of the reasons the offense got so many yards without points is they had one of the worst starting position averages in the NFL meaning they had longer to drive just to see points.

Farmersfan
07-09-2010, 08:36 AM
The D was not quite dominating..Did not get enough turnovers and also did not get off the field quick enough.

One of the reasons the offense got so many yards without points is they had one of the worst starting position averages in the NFL meaning they had longer to drive just to see points.

Dominating was probably too strong of a word. But by anyones standards the defense was good. Your statement about the defense not getting off the field quick enough is incorrect TX.
The Cowboys defense was ranked in the top 10 in Time Of Possession allowed and Number of plays from scrimmage allowed. Everyone would like to have the defense get more interceptions and force more fumbles but that isn't the reason the offense couldn't score points. Hopefully the big body of Bryant at WR will help in the Red Zone.

Txbroadcaster
07-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Dominating was probably too strong of a word. But by anyones standards the defense was good. Your statement about the defense not getting off the field quick enough is incorrect TX.
The Cowboys defense was ranked in the top 10 in Time Of Possession allowed and Number of plays from scrimmage allowed. Everyone would like to have the defense get more interceptions and force more fumbles but that isn't the reason the offense couldn't score points. Hopefully the big body of Bryant at WR will help in the Red Zone.

Can you link ur stats?

And yes more turnovers lead to shorter field which lead to better scoring chances.

The Cowboys' offense last season suffered from terrible field position. The average starting point was the 27.6, third-lowest in the league. Minnesota had the best average starting point, the 32.5.

The Cowboys' offense also rarely worked with a short field. The Cowboys had only 13 possessions that began in opponents' territory, fewest in the league. Green Bay had the most, with 31. Super Bowl champion New Orleans had 22 possessions that began in opponents' territory, and the Saints also scored seven defensive touchdowns.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/02/field-position-hindered-cowboys-offense.html

When your asking your offense to drive 60-70 yds just to get into FG on almost every drive the chance for yards increase, but the chance for points decrease. To many times this year the offense would get 3 first downs yet still be just on the fringe of scoring range.

Farmersfan
07-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Can you link ur stats?

And yes more turnovers lead to shorter field which lead to better scoring chances.

The Cowboys' offense last season suffered from terrible field position. The average starting point was the 27.6, third-lowest in the league. Minnesota had the best average starting point, the 32.5.

The Cowboys' offense also rarely worked with a short field. The Cowboys had only 13 possessions that began in opponents' territory, fewest in the league. Green Bay had the most, with 31. Super Bowl champion New Orleans had 22 possessions that began in opponents' territory, and the Saints also scored seven defensive touchdowns.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/02/field-position-hindered-cowboys-offense.html

When your asking your offense to drive 60-70 yds just to get into FG on almost every drive the chance for yards increase, but the chance for points decrease. To many times this year the offense would get 3 first downs yet still be just on the fringe of scoring range.

So because the offense started an average of only """""5"""""" yards further away from a TD than the BEST in the NFL it is the fault of the defense that they couldn't score more???? Really? The offense was ranked #1 in Time of Possession, #2 in yards per game and #5 in total plays per game and yet it's the fault of the defense that they could not score???? Really?

Of course everyone would like the defense to do better! It would be great if they had scored 10 TDs. If the defense could score 21 points a game the Cowboys could go to the SB! But they didn't! All they managed to do was hold their opponents OUT of the endzone better than any other team in the NFL except the Jets! This defense that gave up way too much yardage was ranked #9 in average yardage given up. This defense that did not get off the field quick enough was ranked #10 in average number of plays allowed,#2 in average points allowed and #5 in Time of Possession allowed.

http://www.nfl.com/

Farmersfan
07-09-2010, 09:48 AM

How many scores did the Cowboys offense manage on those 13 short field opportunities???

Would the 5 yards extra on average field position have helped the offense score more? Seriously?

PPSTATEBOUND
07-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Would the 5 yards extra on average field position have helped the offense score more? Seriously?

No.

Txbroadcaster
07-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Really? That is your response..

YES 5 yards is HUGE in the NFL..give me a 5 yd plus EVERYTIME.

13 drives inside opponent territory 5 TD, 3 FG..1 INT..2 game ended..1 punt 1 missed FG

8 scores..2 times they ended the game..and the one punt was when they were killing clock and punted with 40 seconds

So 8 out of really 10 they scored..only TWICE did they not put points on the board when trying to score, and one of the non scoring was a missed FG

So yea..your defensive getting TO's that set up the offense is HUGE

Farmersfan
07-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Really? That is your response..

YES 5 yards is HUGE in the NFL..give me a 5 yd plus EVERYTIME.

13 drives inside opponent territory 5 TD, 3 FG..1 INT..2 game ended..1 punt 1 missed FG

8 scores..2 times they ended the game..and the one punt was when they were killing clock and punted with 40 seconds

So 8 out of really 10 they scored..only TWICE did they not put points on the board when trying to score, and one of the non scoring was a missed FG

So yea..your defensive getting TO's that set up the offense is HUGE

Can you link to your information about the drives that start inside the opponents territory. I call BS on those numbers. The numbers you posted have the #15 rated scoring offense scoring 48% of the available points or 61% of the time when they start their offense in the other teams end of the field. If they had the ability to score like that they would have scored more than a hell of a lot more than 361 points on the season.

And you are joking about the 5 yards, right? If not then it explains much! The #2 rated offense in yards per game and #1 offense in Time of Possession had no problem overcoming a average starting field position that was only 5 yards shorter than the BEST in the NFL. (and only a couple of yards shorter than the average in the NFL.)

And your defense getting turnovers to set up the offense is huge. I agree! But it's EXTRA! It's a bonus! If that is what you are counting on to make your team "Better than average" then you will rarely win a title because when you play the really good teams the turnovers are minimal and the offense has to actually do it themselves.

Txbroadcaster
07-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Can you link to your information about the drives that start inside the opponents territory. I call BS on those numbers. The numbers you posted have the #15 rated scoring offense scoring 48% of the available points or 61% of the time when they start their offense in the other teams end of the field. If they had the ability to score like that they would have scored more than a hell of a lot more than 361 points on the season.

And you are joking about the 5 yards, right? If not then it explains much! The #2 rated offense in yards per game and #1 offense in Time of Possession had no problem overcoming a average starting field position that was only 5 yards shorter than the BEST in the NFL. (and only a couple of yards shorter than the average in the NFL.)

And your defense getting turnovers to set up the offense is huge. I agree! But it's EXTRA! It's a bonus! If that is what you are counting on to make your team "Better than average" then you will rarely win a title because when you play the really good teams the turnovers are minimal and the offense has to actually do it themselves.

Do what I did..I went thru the drive logs for the every game and pulled out the 13 drives and their results...So your basicaly calling me a liar

Farmersfan
07-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Do what I did..I went thru the drive logs for the every game and pulled out the 13 drives and their results...So your basicaly calling me a liar

You know I would never call you a liar TX! I have WAY too much respect for you to do that. If you actually researched it yourself and they are correct then I apoligize. I originally thought that maybe you had simply used the word of some pencil pusher that wrote an article somewhere. Based on what this offense did 99% of the time it just seemed a bit too farfetched for them to have that kind of success. But anyways nobody said good field position didn't make it easier to score. 5 yards of field position is not much of a difference but starting inside the other teams 50 would be significant.

Txbroadcaster
07-09-2010, 12:15 PM
You know I would never call you a liar TX! I have WAY too much respect for you to do that. If you actually researched it yourself and they are correct then I apoligize. I originally thought that maybe you had simply used the word of some pencil pusher that wrote an article somewhere. Based on what this offense did 99% of the time it just seemed a bit too farfetched for them to have that kind of success. But anyways nobody said good field position didn't make it easier to score. 5 yards of field position is not much of a difference but starting inside the other teams 50 would be significant.

I think 5 yards of difference is huge...think of it..those 5 yards makes a 40 yd FG a 35 yarder..those 5 yards means your first and ten at the 35 instea5 of first and ten at the 40

Those two scenarios alone the 5 yards are big..then you factor in the 5 yard difference is just an average

So if Minny had 20 more drives than Dallas that started at their own 40 while Dallas had 20 more drives that started at their 20...who has the advantage

Yes Dallas led the league in yards..but that was as much to do with where they started

and back to the 5 yards..if they had 6 drives a game that started 5 yds behind..that is 30 yds a game they are having to "make up"...it goes to the hidden yards in a game that can decide the winner

Farmersfan
07-09-2010, 03:48 PM
I think 5 yards of difference is huge...think of it..those 5 yards makes a 40 yd FG a 35 yarder..those 5 yards means your first and ten at the 35 instea5 of first and ten at the 40

Those two scenarios alone the 5 yards are big..then you factor in the 5 yard difference is just an average

So if Minny had 20 more drives than Dallas that started at their own 40 while Dallas had 20 more drives that started at their 20...who has the advantage

Yes Dallas led the league in yards..but that was as much to do with where they started

and back to the 5 yards..if they had 6 drives a game that started 5 yds behind..that is 30 yds a game they are having to "make up"...it goes to the hidden yards in a game that can decide the winner

Basically Dallas outscored their opponents on the season by 121 points. They had more offensive yardage, more time of possession, more 1st downs, better 3rd down conversions and more points. So IF Dallas had the worst starting field position in the league and it hampered their ability to score points then we owe the defense even more than we thought for holding 16 teams to fewer yards and fewer points when those teams had such a huge advantage!
Everything you are saying is correct! Field position is important in the overall scheme of things. If the offense was limited in yardage then perhaps the field position arguement would hold water. But they gained more than enough total yards to offset a average starting field position that was just 5 yards more than the best in the NFL. ]

Txbroadcaster
07-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Basically Dallas outscored their opponents on the season by 121 points. They had more offensive yardage, more time of possession, more 1st downs, better 3rd down conversions and more points. So IF Dallas had the worst starting field position in the league and it hampered their ability to score points then we owe the defense even more than we thought for holding 16 teams to fewer yards and fewer points when those teams had such a huge advantage!
Everything you are saying is correct! Field position is important in the overall scheme of things. If the offense was limited in yardage then perhaps the field position arguement would hold water. But they gained more than enough total yards to offset a average starting field position that was just 5 yards more than the best in the NFL. ]

Sorry I just disagree..this offense getting to start around their own 35 instead of around their own 25 IMO is the difference in about 7-10 points a game

Go look and see how many drives they had that were 8 plays for 35 yds then a punt..because they started so deep in their own side that 35 yards did nothing but tilt the field.

Farmersfan
07-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Sorry I just disagree..this offense getting to start around their own 35 instead of around their own 25 IMO is the difference in about 7-10 points a game

Go look and see how many drives they had that were 8 plays for 35 yds then a punt..because they started so deep in their own side that 35 yards did nothing but tilt the field.

Seems kind of odd that a team that had a bunch of "8 plays for 35 yards then a punt" would not have racked up the second highest yardage in the league. That certainly is a whole lot of 35 yard possessions to average 399 yards a game! Besides, your analogy isn't accurate because the field position average difference is ONLY 5 yards from the BEST in the NFL. It would be about 2 yards difference from the NFL average. So your analogy should be starting around their 35 instead of their 37 is the differnce in about 7-10 points a game!
But hopefully we won't even be having these kinds of discussion this next season. If the offense can live up to it's potential this team will go to the Superbowl!

Txbroadcaster
07-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Seems kind of odd that a team that had a bunch of "8 plays for 35 yards then a punt" would not have racked up the second highest yardage in the league. That certainly is a whole lot of 35 yard possessions to average 399 yards a game!

In a game most teams average about 10 possesions a game...so if they had 2 scoring drives of say 50 and 60 yards...that is 110

Then they had 8 drives right at 35 yards( just for debate sake it is always 35 yards)

That is 390 yards a game

Farmersfan
07-12-2010, 07:28 PM
In a game most teams average about 10 possesions a game...so if they had 2 scoring drives of say 50 and 60 yards...that is 110

Then they had 8 drives right at 35 yards( just for debate sake it is always 35 yards)

That is 390 yards a game

Ok! LOL!.... I guess that works. It's amazing the Cowboys could even make the playoffs with this kind of handicap going against them. What a huge obstacle to have to overcome..............:D :D

Txbroadcaster
07-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Ok! LOL!.... I guess that works. It's amazing the Cowboys could even make the playoffs with this kind of handicap going against them. What a huge obstacle to have to overcome..............:D :D

I just pointed out..you can rack up 400 yards of offense but only score 14 points..or even just 10 points

Even in the Saints game where they won and scored 24 points..they had 3 other drives of at least 7 plays that led to to punts..including an 11 play 54 yd drive

14 of the 24 points scored were drives that started at the Dallas 45 and the NO 24

In the loss to the Giants the 2nd time they lose by 7 and had 3 drives go at least 7 plays that led to punts

btw 14 of those 24 points agianst the Giants were on drives that were at the Dallas 44 and The Giants 26

That is just two games worth of example..field position is HUGE 5 more yards, even two more yards is closer to scoring chances.

So yes it was a huge obstacle and it hurt an offense that moved the ball at will at times, but always was doing so to the long part of the field

Farmersfan
07-13-2010, 02:40 PM
I just pointed out..you can rack up 400 yards of offense but only score 14 points..or even just 10 points

Even in the Saints game where they won and scored 24 points..they had 3 other drives of at least 7 plays that led to to punts..including an 11 play 54 yd drive

14 of the 24 points scored were drives that started at the Dallas 45 and the NO 24

In the loss to the Giants the 2nd time they lose by 7 and had 3 drives go at least 7 plays that led to punts

btw 14 of those 24 points agianst the Giants were on drives that were at the Dallas 44 and The Giants 26

That is just two games worth of example..field position is HUGE 5 more yards, even two more yards is closer to scoring chances.

So yes it was a huge obstacle and it hurt an offense that moved the ball at will at times, but always was doing so to the long part of the field

Sorry! You just don't get it! The Cowboys were only 2 yards off the average in the NFL in starting field position. That is not significant at all. You keep talking about all these possessions that started way back in their own territory but the facts are IF Dallas had all those possessions starting back there then so did every other team in the NFL because Dallas was ONLY 2 yards off their average. I know you look for ways to take the blame off Romo and the offense but you are barking up the wrong tree! Of course the starting field position for Dallas wasn't good but it also wasn't an obstacle that the offense had to overcome. That stat is nothing but an excuse. 2 yards off the NFL average is nothing!

Txbroadcaster
07-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Sorry! You just don't get it! The Cowboys were only 2 yards off the average in the NFL in starting field position. That is not significant at all. You keep talking about all these possessions that started way back in their own territory but the facts are IF Dallas had all those possessions starting back there then so did every other team in the NFL because Dallas was ONLY 2 yards off their average. I know you look for ways to take the blame off Romo and the offense but you are barking up the wrong tree! Of course the starting field position for Dallas wasn't good but it also wasn't an obstacle that the offense had to overcome. That stat is nothing but an excuse. 2 yards off the NFL average is nothing!

No I do get it, you and I just disagree..I think one of the biggest problems the Cowboys offense faced was terrible field positon. you keep talking about average field position, I am talking about Dallas being ALMOST DEAD LAST in the stat. I dont care if it was by 2 yards, or 10 yards being last means it is something the team needs to improve..you dont think it is a big deal

Bull's-eye
07-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Even though field position is important, the following story from the Cowboys website suggest another culprit. Dallas missed 11 FG's, ranked 14th in red zone TD scoring, but their lack of scoring was largely due to offensive penalties. Of the 115 team penalties, 69 were against the offense. According to NFL stats, flags stalled out 27 of the Cowboys offensive drives.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=85DF3257-C0D5-47E8-666695223A965538

Txbroadcaster
07-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Even though field position is important, the following story from the Cowboys website suggest another culprit. Dallas missed 11 FG's, ranked 14th in red zone TD scoring, but their lack of scoring was largely due to offensive penalties. Of the 115 team penalties, 69 were against the offense. According to NFL stats, flags stalled out 27 of the Cowboys offensive drives.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=85DF3257-C0D5-47E8-666695223A965538

yea those two go without saying IMO

I am nost saying FP was the ONLY reason, but it is something this team IMO needs to fix to have their offense take the next step IMO

Farmersfan
07-14-2010, 08:30 AM
No I do get it, you and I just disagree..I think one of the biggest problems the Cowboys offense faced was terrible field positon. you keep talking about average field position, I am talking about Dallas being ALMOST DEAD LAST in the stat. I dont care if it was by 2 yards, or 10 yards being last means it is something the team needs to improve..you dont think it is a big deal

Even at 10 possessions a game, the 2 yards in every possession would equal a GRAND TOTAL of 20 yards for the game. The Cowboys averaged 64 yards a game more than the NFL average of 334 yards per game. Their points per game was equal or very close to a bunch of other teams that averaged less than 350 YPG.

Falcons: 23 PPG, 340YPG
Dolphins: 22PPG, 337YPG
titans: 22PPG, 351YPG
Jets: 22PPG, 321YPG
Niners: 21PPG, 290YPG
Bears: 21PPG, 310PPG
Broncos: 20PPG, 341YPG

You see the PPG for the Cowboys are not an indication of the YPG. (regardless of the reasons why). They had a inability to put the ball in the endzone. They were able to move the ball at will in the middle of the field but could not put it in the end zone.
Some will say their poor FG % was the reason. But even if they went 100% on their FG attempts they still average just 2 more points per game or a total of 33 more points for the season. (of course they may have tried more FG if they had confidence in their kicker. But they were ranked #10 in attempts anyway)

Farmersfan
07-14-2010, 08:38 AM

BINGO!
Penalties would be my #2 reason for the lack of production in the red zone. Of course everyone knows my #1 reason. In my opinion the rest of the league did not fear the Dallas WR group in the tight red zone area because of Tony Romo's accuracy issues so they tended to stack the box and stuff the run. But I won't open the Romo can of worms right now. :D :D

Farmersfan
07-14-2010, 08:41 AM
yea those two go without saying IMO

I am nost saying FP was the ONLY reason, but it is something this team IMO needs to fix to have their offense take the next step IMO

We can all agree on this. I think where we disagree is where this ranks on the list of priorities.

Pick6
07-14-2010, 08:50 AM
TXB have you not learned nothing at all. You're wasting your time with him.

BILLYFRED0000
07-14-2010, 08:51 AM
TX Farmers does not understand the NFL.

This is not high school. These guys are the best in the game. 2 yards might as well be a mile in field position. I do believe that we had some issues in being a little predictable at times but those 2 yards make the difference in the nfl where inches can mean a loss or victory.

He does have a point about the penalties and I do believe that was the biggest issue with field position being a close second.

ronwx5x
07-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Pick6

So a double negative means TXB has indeed learned something at all?:D

Farmersfan
07-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Pick6

We can always depend on you Pick6! Laying in the weeds and taking pot shots at people seems to be your M.O.! The problem with this analogy is that I'm not arguing with myself so apparently there are at least TWO people who haven't learned their lesson!!!!

Farmersfan
07-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
TX Farmers does not understand the NFL.

This is not high school. These guys are the best in the game. 2 yards might as well be a mile in field position. I do believe that we had some issues in being a little predictable at times but those 2 yards make the difference in the nfl where inches can mean a loss or victory.

He does have a point about the penalties and I do believe that was the biggest issue with field position being a close second.

Seriously? Because you disagree it means I don't understand the NFL?

But I think I proved my point pretty effectively Billy! Parcels said a team should score 7 points for every 100 yards of offense.(That's the average team). That 100 yards isn't quantified by WHERE IT STARTS!
An average team at moving the ball could be handicapped by a bad starting field position. But the Dallas offense wasn't a average team at moving the ball. Only average at scoring. So if you can't see how 1 stat washes out the other then it is probably YOU who doesn't understand the NFL or numbers and averages!

Pick6
07-14-2010, 10:17 AM
We can always depend on you Pick6! Laying in the weeds and taking pot shots at people seems to be your M.O.! The problem with this analogy is that I'm not arguing with myself so apparently there are at least TWO people who haven't learned their lesson!!!!

You're not bright enough to learn a lesson. I had assumed TXB had already realized that. He probably has, he just likes playing with your little mind.

Bull's-eye
07-14-2010, 11:19 AM
I have to go with the penalties & better red zone production. If you went back and started all their drives 2 yards farther, I don't see that solving their scoring problems. From what I have been reading, Dallas is really stressing their red zone play. Taking care of penalties is a big part of improving in that area, but scoring more TD's is the key. I look for Dez Bryant to really help, he has a great nose for getting in the endzone. Even though our offense was very good, this is why I loved the Bryant pick.

Txbroadcaster
07-14-2010, 11:34 AM
I have to go with the penalties & better red zone production. If you went back and started all their drives 2 yards farther, I don't see that solving their scoring problems. From what I have been reading, Dallas is really stressing their red zone play. Taking care of penalties is a big part of improving in that area, but scoring more TD's is the key. I look for Dez Bryant to really help, he has a great nose for getting in the endzone. Even though our offense was very good, this is why I loved the Bryant pick.

I agree..but I also think when your forcing a team to drive further it leads to more plays with execution problems

Yes Teams want long sustained drives, but any OC will tell you after 10 plays your gambling with your offense making key mistakes.

And Bryant AND Williams together IMO is huge in the RZ..like Williams or not he still had 7 TDs last year and I think he can have more this year

PPSTATEBOUND
07-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Hilarious reads.....all for not when the most over hyped team year in and year out in NFL History lays another first round rotten egg...if they even get in. That is very doubtful IMO.

carry on.:)

Bull's-eye
07-14-2010, 12:47 PM
I agree..but I also think when your forcing a team to drive further it leads to more plays with execution problems.

I agree, but will stick to my guns that this wasn't their biggest problem. :)

Farmersfan
07-14-2010, 03:10 PM

Finally someone with a little imagination and understanding of how to read stats!
I might even say that NONE of the non-scoring drives would be turned into scoring drives if the starting point were 2 yards closer! The starting point has NOTHING to do with the ending point!!!! TX (and some others) are looking at this thing as if the starting point were two yards closer then of course the ending point would be 2 yards closer. That's not the case. If the defense stops our offense on the their own 40 then it doesn't matter if we start on the 10 or the 30. We are still stopped on the 40!!!! The only difference would be how many yards we accumulate getting to the 40.

footballgal
07-14-2010, 03:11 PM
I think this is his year and also the Cowboys year... and hopfully play at home in the Superbowl :)

Farmersfan
07-14-2010, 03:24 PM
I agree..but I also think when your forcing a team to drive further it leads to more plays with execution problems

Yes Teams want long sustained drives, but any OC will tell you after 10 plays your gambling with your offense making key mistakes.

And Bryant AND Williams together IMO is huge in the RZ..like Williams or not he still had 7 TDs last year and I think he can have more this year

Driving Further? So you are still calling 2 yards "driving further"????

Number of plays? Dallas ran a total of 1020 offensive plays which was #13 in the NFL.

Dallas was ranked #1 in yards per play at 6.3yards. I don't think they had a problem with a 2 yard average increase in distance to the goal line...........