PDA

View Full Version : I'm back.......Long story - don't open if you don't like long posts lol

44INAROW
07-07-2010, 06:20 PM
OK, 2334 miles later, and I am back from vacation. Whew.. we had a great time but it sure is good to be back home. I will try to go back about 20 pages and catch up on what I missed since June 28th
The trip out there was "fun-filled" 1st and foremost, we got to Daytona Beach safe and sound on Weds 30th and on time BUT not without some "drama"
Tuesday, we filled up between Lafayette and Baton Rouge at a LUVS or however you spell it. 99% of the time, we use Shell or Exxon but the LUVS was 10 cents cheaper so we figured, what the heck? Well - about 30 miles east of Baton Rouge (about 4pm) we came upon a wreck and were in stop-and-go traffic and the Expedition started sputtering and acting like it was going to stall out (while we are idleing or going 10 mph) and the "check engine light" was on (we had the car totally serviced and checked right before we left) Then it starts to rain - POURING RAIN - thank goodness, the wreck cleared up quickly and we got back to going 70+mph and the car ran just fine. We stopped somewhere between Pensacola and Tallahasse to eat and when we slowed down to park, the sputtering got really bad. It's dark now (of course) We ate (Cracker Barrell :) ) then got back in the car and drove until about 9:30 and when we pulled off IH10 onto the feeder road - the sputtering started again. (Oh, I was shutting the AC off everytime we slowed down) We got to the hotel with no problem. Got up Weds AM and held our breath that we'd get to Daytona safely. At 9:00 AM we filled up before we got back on IH10. We didn't stop until about noon (sidenote - Florida wins the "best Rest and Most Rest Area Award") When we pulled into the rest area between Tallahasse and Jacksonville, I totally forgot to shut the AC off and BAM the car totally shuts off as Mr44 is pulling into the parking spot and just to make it FUN and EXCITING - it starts to pour down raining at that precise minute. We get out and walk around and maybe say a quick prayer or two lol.. (seriously) 10 minutes later, we are back in the car, it starts right up and we are back on IH10 going 75+ mph with NO problem whatsoever. About 30 miles West of Jacksonville, there is major construction and we have to slow down to 20 mph and it's raining (but I remember to cut off the AC) We were lucky and just as it seemed the car was going to stall out, the traffic would flow again and we'd be running 75+mph again. We kept going and all was fine - then we exited onto the road to the house at Daytona and it's about 5 miles of in-town, stop and go traffic. The car was shaking and shimmying like crazy and I really thought we'd have to pull over and call a tow truck, but we made it to the beach house. Mr44 called a Ford dealership and made an appt for 1st thing Thursday AM. They found sensor or something cracked which may or may not have been the reason for the "check engine light" but they also said the fuel filter was totally filthy and it had been changed last week. They "assume" it was a bad tank of gas. Either way - it is fixed and we had no trouble coming home.

part 2 - the rain between Lake Charles and Houston today was unreal. we drove 30 and 40 mph between Sulphur LA and Baytown. I wonder how much rain the Orange/Beaumont area got today -

Sweetwater Red
07-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Your story resembles a trip I made to DFW last December. Although mine didn't end
as well. :(

Glad y'all made it back safely and the Expedition is running fine though. :)

Green Bling
07-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Glad you're back home!!:D

ronwx5x
07-08-2010, 07:59 AM
I worked many years in management for a convenience store company. The gas they buy is the same stuff that almost every retail outlet buys, the diffeerence is the equipment used to dispense the fuel. If you really had a bad tank of fuel, it was most likely water and you would not be the only car with problems. I would call Love's and report it, as well as ask if there were other reports of problems. They will at least test for water and "sludge" in the tank and most likely get back to you.

Most gasoline outlets test for water by applying a water detecting past on the lower end of the dip stick. Many modern facilities also have a system that sets off an alarm if there is water present. Either way, I think Love's will do everything possible to make you happy. After all, they don't want bad press on bulletin boards like this one!.

Give it a shot, after all what do you have to lose? Just look up Love's on a search engine and call them. Good luck!!!:)

AP Panther Fan
07-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Glad you made it home safely. Never a dull moment, huh?:D

I watched the end of the Daytona 500 and the fireworks on television and thought about you.

Will look forward to seeing some of the photos.

pirate4state
07-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Somehow I feel like there is sooooooooooo much more to "part 2" :D Surely that can't be IT! :p

Glad you are home safe & sound!

Mrs Lion_Addict
07-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Wow! That sounded so very much like our trip!!! I think they might be putting sumpin in the gas to try and make you stay longer...lol ;) Soooo did you eat at Aunt catfish? we did and I must say that was one of the best salad bars ever! :clap: and I love love love the decor! also went out back and walked down the pier and Oh how I had hoped to see a manatee.....but we did not :hairpunk: , but Thank-you very much for sending us there.

44INAROW
07-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Lion_Addict
Wow! That sounded so very much like our trip!!! I think they might be putting sumpin in the gas to try and make you stay longer...lol ;) Soooo did you eat at Aunt catfish? we did and I must say that was one of the best salad bars ever! :clap: and I love love love the decor! also went out back and walked down the pier and Oh how I had hoped to see a manatee.....but we did not :hairpunk: , but Thank-you very much for sending us there.
we went to Aunt Catfish's at 5:30 on Monday and the wait was 2 1/2 hours.. We didn't stay.. :( I love that place though :) We did eat at the Cracked Egg for breakfast the next morning.. DELICIOUS :) Glad you liked it .. :)

SintonFan
07-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Glad to see you back safe and sound 44.:)

Ranger Mom
07-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
OK, 2334 miles later, and I am back from vacation. Whew.. we had a great time but it sure is good to be back home. I will try to go back about 20 pages and catch up on what I missed since June 28th
The trip out there was "fun-filled" 1st and foremost, we got to Daytona Beach safe and sound on Weds 30th and on time BUT not without some "drama"
Tuesday, we filled up between Lafayette and Baton Rouge at a LUVS or however you spell it. 99% of the time, we use Shell or Exxon but the LUVS was 10 cents cheaper so we figured, what the heck? Well - about 30 miles east of Baton Rouge (about 4pm) we came upon a wreck and were in stop-and-go traffic and the Expedition started sputtering and acting like it was going to stall out (while we are idleing or going 10 mph) and the "check engine light" was on (we had the car totally serviced and checked right before we left) Then it starts to rain - POURING RAIN - thank goodness, the wreck cleared up quickly and we got back to going 70+mph and the car ran just fine. We stopped somewhere between Pensacola and Tallahasse to eat and when we slowed down to park, the sputtering got really bad. It's dark now (of course) We ate (Cracker Barrell :) ) then got back in the car and drove until about 9:30 and when we pulled off IH10 onto the feeder road - the sputtering started again. (Oh, I was shutting the AC off everytime we slowed down) We got to the hotel with no problem. Got up Weds AM and held our breath that we'd get to Daytona safely. At 9:00 AM we filled up before we got back on IH10. We didn't stop until about noon (sidenote - Florida wins the "best Rest and Most Rest Area Award") When we pulled into the rest area between Tallahasse and Jacksonville, I totally forgot to shut the AC off and BAM the car totally shuts off as Mr44 is pulling into the parking spot and just to make it FUN and EXCITING - it starts to pour down raining at that precise minute. We get out and walk around and maybe say a quick prayer or two lol.. (seriously) 10 minutes later, we are back in the car, it starts right up and we are back on IH10 going 75+ mph with NO problem whatsoever. About 30 miles West of Jacksonville, there is major construction and we have to slow down to 20 mph and it's raining (but I remember to cut off the AC) We were lucky and just as it seemed the car was going to stall out, the traffic would flow again and we'd be running 75+mph again. We kept going and all was fine - then we exited onto the road to the house at Daytona and it's about 5 miles of in-town, stop and go traffic. The car was shaking and shimmying like crazy and I really thought we'd have to pull over and call a tow truck, but we made it to the beach house. Mr44 called a Ford dealership and made an appt for 1st thing Thursday AM. They found sensor or something cracked which may or may not have been the reason for the "check engine light" but they also said the fuel filter was totally filthy and it had been changed last week. They "assume" it was a bad tank of gas. Either way - it is fixed and we had no trouble coming home.

part 2 - the rain between Lake Charles and Houston today was unreal. we drove 30 and 40 mph between Sulphur LA and Baytown. I wonder how much rain the Orange/Beaumont area got today -

Glad you had fun and made it home.

And.......this is was actually a short post for you when you have a story to tell!!!:D :kiss:

AP Panther Fan
07-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

And.......this is was actually a short post for you when you have a story to tell!!!:D :kiss:

You know, I was thinking the same thing! Lorey is not a woman of few words ~ we will have to pry the rest out of her. ;):D

44INAROW
07-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
You know, I was thinking the same thing! Lorey is not a woman of few words ~ we will have to pry the rest out of her. ;):D

lol you'll know me :) I have been wading through the sea of files on my desk.. hope to post part 2 updates later this afternoon..
It is raining buckets right now and I was going to run home for lunch - BUT I might stay here now.. :mad: