PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good with Math (Business Calculus)?

Blastoderm55
07-02-2010, 09:19 PM
I have to figure out how to determine a formula for the twelve months of the Consumer Price Index. I have no clue as to what I'm doing. The formula should be a quadratic equation (polynomial ax^2 +bx +c = y), but I'm stuck because of the fluctuating nature of the CPI.

What I need to determine are the coefficients for the A, B, and C. Once I have those, figuring out the derivatives and rates of change will be peachy, but its this first step that has me stumped.

BaseballUmp
07-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Lol dude Im so glad i took that last semester...

Blastoderm55
07-02-2010, 09:52 PM
I would have preferred taking it in the regular session as well. Cramming this class into 6 weeks was a bad idea.

BaseballUmp
07-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Yea I'm thinking the same thing about accounting right now...luckily I had a cool professor and somehow I passed with a C

Old Tiger
07-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Try using Excel to solve A, B, and C.

Blastoderm55
07-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Try using Excel to solve A, B, and C.

That's an interesting idea. What sort of function would I use? Actually, I think it was suggested we a graphing calculator to plug values and have an equation calculated for us, but I don't have the spare cash right now to plop down on a Ti-84, especially for a class that is almost over. This assignment is only 5% of my class average, but at this point its the difference between a C and a D. :mad:

BaseballUmp
07-03-2010, 09:17 PM
is it anything like the third problem on this page?

http://cnx.org/content/m33271/latest/

Blastoderm55
07-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Holy potatoes, that's pretty close to it. My assignment is actually only studying the past 12 months of the CPI, so the variances are much smaller, and I'm supposed to be able to determine a three-term polynomial for the equation of the line.

Thanks for the find, though. I may be able to build off of it. :thumbsup:

BaseballUmp
07-03-2010, 09:22 PM
haha no problem...just checked to see if my subscription to mymathlab was still active cuz it tells how to do it with examples and stuff but it ran out lol

Blastoderm55
07-03-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm using that as well but couldn't find any examples pertaining to this problem.

Old Tiger
07-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
That's an interesting idea. What sort of function would I use? Actually, I think it was suggested we a graphing calculator to plug values and have an equation calculated for us, but I don't have the spare cash right now to plop down on a Ti-84, especially for a class that is almost over. This assignment is only 5% of my class average, but at this point its the difference between a C and a D. :mad: perhaps through a regression

MUSTANG69
07-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Yea I'm thinking the same thing about accounting right now...luckily I had a cool professor and somehow I passed with a C

Classes in accounting are made difficult to justify their existence.
Remember accounting is nothing but "left" and "right".

Blastoderm55
07-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
perhaps through a regression

Awesome. I may not have gotten the right answer, but I just needed some official-looking fluff to hopefully get the prof off my back.

Thanks for the all the help, guys.

BaseballUmp
07-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
Classes in accounting are made difficult to justify their existence.
Remember accounting is nothing but "left" and "right".

...and where does allowance for doubtful accounts go and how much did this depreciate and is this a property expense or a building expense and what is the total cost of borrowing when issuing bonds lol...4 more days!!!!!!

MUSTANG69
07-05-2010, 03:47 PM
...and where does allowance for doubtful accounts go and how much did this depreciate and is this a property expense or a building expense and what is the total cost of borrowing when issuing bonds lol...4 more days!!!!!!

Just remember all entries MUST BALANCE(Debits-left credits-right). In my 35 years as an accountant I have found that it is an art. Ask 10 accountants the same question and you will get 10 different answers. Your professors will say this is not true and it probably is not in a classroom atmosphere but it is true in real life.
:D

BaseballUmp
07-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Haha yea my professor works as an accountant as well as teaching...she really is a good professor though.

and i can make anything balance....doesnt mean its right haha

doing a project now figuring out Proctor and Gambles finances

MUSTANG69
07-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Haha yea my professor works as an accountant as well as teaching...she really is a good professor though.

Yes the trick is deciding where to put it. Many times there is more the one answer. I was in the same situation you are in when I was in school. The trick there is to figure what the professor wants and where they think it should be. Good luck. Sometimes I was glad to get a "C" because I took my advanced accounting courses on an "individual study basis" and did not have the benefit of classroom lectures.

Blastoderm55
07-05-2010, 07:11 PM

I had to do it for Starbucks last semester. Ugh. :doh: Their ratios for three years along with those of their competitor Caribou Coffee.