PDA

View Full Version : College Question

ol country boy
06-30-2010, 09:40 AM
I have always been a UT fan. However I can't stand how Austin is. This might not be politically correct but I never am... I can't stand the alternative (gay) lifestyle and the keep Austin weird movement.

I was raised a country kid (login name) and we fit the A&M style.

So my question is this:

If you could choose a school for your kid which one would you send them to.

UT

A&M

ol country boy
06-30-2010, 09:42 AM
my vote goes to A&M

Keep College Station Normal!!!

ronwx5x
06-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by ol country boy
I have always been a UT fan. However I can't stand how Austin is. This might not be politically correct but I never am... I can't stand the alternative (gay) lifestyle and the keep Austin weird movement.

So my question is this:

UT

A&M

You forgot Tech in your poll! Believe it or not, there are more than 2 universities in Texas:cool:

44 Magnum
06-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Even though I am a huge UT Longhorn fan, all three of my sons have gone to TAMU and received a great education. The true "spirit of Aggieland" runs deep in each of them, which makes for some interesting discussions during family get-togethers.

The only thing I have seriously noticed is the inferiority complex Ags have towards the Horns. They are constantly concerned with how they compare with the Horns, athletically, socially, politically and scholastically. Having gone to UT for a brief time I never heard any Longhorn anywhere near as concerned with TAMU as what I hear from Aggie fans towards the Horns.

The recent conference realignment issue is a great example. Most Aggies were wanting to give UT (tu in aggie speak) the finger and waltz off to the SEC and leave all in-state rivalries behind, just to "get out from UT's shadow" and quit feeling like a little brother to the Horns.

Having got off on my tangent . . . I really like TAMU as a school and as a place I feel comfortable sending my children to get a great education.

A whole lot of my money and my sons have gone to Texas A&M. Whoop!

LE Dad
06-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
You forgot Tech in your poll! Believe it or not, there are more than 2 universities in Texas:cool: :D

Emerson1
06-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Tarleton.

We have Larry Joe Taylor Music Festival which is better then Chilifest, ACL and SXSW combined.

That's what truly matters.

Old Tiger
06-30-2010, 10:08 AM

There is your problem.

As for your other question UT just because of the diversity but if you want your kid to be around a sheltered school then A&M. UT isn't as liberal as it used to be but A&M is still conservative as it will always be.

Which brings up a conversation a couple of my friends(UT and A&M students) and I had a while back about how crappy it would be to be a black person going to A&M if you were not an athlete.

BaseballUmp
06-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Send'em to Texas State!

cr180t
06-30-2010, 10:12 AM
UT - Not a fan just where I would send him. Next Baylor. I know

Blackcat1954
06-30-2010, 10:35 AM
As a journalist-I try to stay neutral because we have atheltes in our area that have gone to both schools in past.

But personally I'm a big Longhorn fan and have been since the 1960s.

Both schools have their positives and negatives.

If I had kid he or she would definitley go to UT. I just don't care for the Aggies frame of mine toward UT always calling us TU-I guess because they always have.

UT's enrollment of over 50,000 is very different from A&M. They come from all walks of life and a lot of students don't care a bout the sports aspect-only getting a good education.

I wasn't able to go to UT because of learning disorder and disability and struggled through Wharton County Junior College and Concordia Lutheran so I could live in Austin.

Went to all the games and hung around all my cousins who went so considered myself a Longhorn who bled Orange.

To this day I still regret misssing the opportunity but I was fortunate to land in the journalism field and work for a newspaper for 25 years without a degree.

It's not the best paying job in the world but me and my wife make end's meet. We own and leas out two farms for extra incomes which help.

I really's can't complain
Sorry to get off the subject but would encourage kids to make the right decision in choosing UT or A&M, visiting both schools

garciap77
06-30-2010, 10:39 AM
ACU

Txbroadcaster
06-30-2010, 10:51 AM

So my question is this:

UT

A&M

way to broad of a Q..the school you choose should not be about which one your a fan of. What is the major and which school has the best dept in that major should be the first Q

LE Dad
06-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
That brings up the other conversations of how many venereal diseases you want them to contract. lol :eek: :eek: :eek:

BreckTxLonghorn
06-30-2010, 10:55 AM
There's truly one question you should ask yourself when answering this question: Depending on what my child wants to focus on in school, which University has a better academic department to help them reach their goal. Despite what overall reputation a University has academically, they will have stronger and weaker points in different areas. If you want your child to be the best at what they do, that's your factor.

Wanting them to go somewhere due to cultural mindset will only cultivate a small-minded viewpoint that will further animosity toward others that are not the same. That is a horrible world to create for the future. I don't want my kids going to UT so that they view themselves a socially diverse, because that will cause them to judge those who live in smaller towns - that's unacceptable. Conversely, I will refuse to help them go to A&M if the reason is that they don't want to be around a liberal city, or do not want to associate with certain people because of their race, beliefs, or sexual preference - I believe in teaching them to accept others, and they should go to a school (again) that fits them academically.

The funniest thing about this to me is how people think that it's only one way or another. Austin actually has a strong conservative population, making the town very diverse. It has something for everyone. And I find it hard to believe there are no homosexuals at Texas A&M.

sahen
06-30-2010, 11:01 AM
i think you should prolly let the kid visit each campus they are interested in and pick the school they think they are the best fit at...

'84 Stang
06-30-2010, 11:06 AM
This one is easy.....My son ( who just graduated in the top 1% of his class) applied to George Washington University ( in D.C.), Swarthmore University ( in PA ) and TAMU ( where his old man graduated from ) and he chose A&M over those other two....UT was never a ping on his radar.... However he will be spending 8 months in Russia first on a study exchange program that he recieved a full scholarship to through the U.S. State Dept. He spent 8 weeks there last summer and really enjoyed it. He speaks French, German and now Russian ..... needless to say...I doubt he will be coming back to West Texas with his future career!

JasperDog94
06-30-2010, 11:09 AM
I am a die hard UT fan. Having said that, my daughter (who is only 6 right now) absolutely loves animals. It wouldn't surprise me to see her go into some kind of animal science. If that's the case I think A&M might be better for her. As long as she doesn't become an Aggie. :D :D

Ernest T Bass
06-30-2010, 11:09 AM
In the end, any school you pick is fine. It's all what you make of it. I would definately consider other factors such as cost, availability of majors, geographical location(close to home), etc...

AP Panther Fan
06-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Send'em to Texas State!

I have a daughter headed that way in August.....

actually I hope she ultimately ends up at A&M Corpus Christi. Both schools have great programs, but as Earnest T mentioned, staying close to home certainly would be easier on the wallet.

I'm just going to ignore the STD comments...:p:)

garciap77
06-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by JJWalker

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

OldBison75
06-30-2010, 02:15 PM
I have been around both campuses and I not only would, but I am sending my daughter to TAMU. The people are friendlier, the campus atmosphere is much calmer, and the town is really geared to the college life. At UT there is so much political influence in everything that there is constant bickering and the town is no better.

jason
06-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I have been around both campuses and I not only would, but I am sending my daughter to TAMU. The people are friendlier, the campus atmosphere is much calmer, and the town is really geared to the college life. At UT there is so much political influence in everything that there is constant bickering and the town is no better. you are sending her? what if she wants to go to austin?

UPanIN
06-30-2010, 03:07 PM
There is your problem.

As for your other question UT just because of the diversity but if you want your kid to be around a sheltered school then A&M. UT isn't as liberal as it used to be but A&M is still conservative as it will always be.

Which brings up a conversation a couple of my friends(UT and A&M students) and I had a while back about how crappy it would be to be a black person going to A&M if you were not an athlete.

let me see if I have this right your saying

If your black and not a athlete your treated bad at A&M because if your black you can't be conservative and since A&M is conservative you'll never fit in.

That about it?

Rabid Cougar
06-30-2010, 03:28 PM
As Aggie Class of '86 I would have loved for my oldest son to have gone to ATM. He could have walked on at ATM, Baylor or TT but his mind set was North Texas came to him and wanted him to play football for them so he went.

It boils down to where the kids want to go to school.

ol country boy
06-30-2010, 03:53 PM
some interesting replies....

did not know being raised country was a problem.....did not say I was raised "redneck"

But oh well I'm proud of my country up bringing

1. Say yes sir or no mam
2. don't wear earrings
3. Polite

Emerson1
06-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by UPanIN
let me see if I have this right your saying

If your black and not a athlete your treated bad at A&M because if your black you can't be conservative and since A&M is conservative you'll never fit in.

That about it?
I think it has to do more with if you are black people are more likely to be racist at a&m then at Texas where every walk of life is accepted.

JJWalker
06-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I think it has to do more with if you are black people are more likely to be racist at a&m then at Texas where every walk of life is accepted.
OK ... let me set it straight.

Black people ... as a general rule ... are far too intelligent to go to A&M.

Emerson1
06-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by JJWalker
OK ... let me set it straight.

Black people ... as a general rule ... are far too intelligent to go to A&M.
Aggies are racist

JJWalker
06-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Aggies are racist
What? Black people are disliked by white people? ...

I must have missed that when I was growning up.

Honestly ... for me ... the whole A&M thing ... you know ... getting excited over how much wood you can put in pile ... watching a bunch of stiff white guys in white outfits prance around on the sidelines ... etc. etc. ... is the equivalent of ...

... well ... the equivalent of ... volunteering to let Hannibal Lecter cut the top of your skull off and eat your brain.

JMO

OldBison75
06-30-2010, 05:05 PM
My daughter received numerous scholarship offers to colleges and after visiting, she chose TAMU and I agree with her 100 percent. This is coming from a die hard Longhorn fan. TAMU not only offered her the best scholarship plan, but the faculty in her major and the admissions staff have bent over backwards to help her with every detail of admission and housing, even though she is gonna stay off campus. She is entering college with 24 hours of college credit and has received scholarships that exceed her tuition, fees, and housing costs for the first full year, with guaranteed renewal of all but one scholarship four each of the next three if she maintains a 2.5 GPA. Every single person we encountered on the campus was friendly and most walked up to us and introduced themselves and offered to show us around.

I said I was sending her to TAMU because even though it was her choice, she asked me for advice and I concurred with her decision and her reasons for her choice. Believe me, if I thought she was making a mistake, I would have told her so. She is an adult and can make her own choices, but, I am blessed to have a daughter that wants my input and will listen to my reasoning with an open mind before making such an important decision for her life.

JasperDog94
06-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
My daughter received numerous scholarship offers to colleges and after visiting, she chose TAMU and I agree with her 100 percent. This is coming from a die hard Longhorn fan. TAMU not only offered her the best scholarship plan, but the faculty in her major and the admissions staff have bent over backwards to help her with every detail of admission and housing, even though she is gonna stay off campus. She is entering college with 24 hours of college credit and has received scholarships that exceed her tuition, fees, and housing costs for the first full year, with guaranteed renewal of all but one scholarship four each of the next three if she maintains a 2.5 GPA. Every single person we encountered on the campus was friendly and most walked up to us and introduced themselves and offered to show us around.

I said I was sending her to TAMU because even though it was her choice, she asked me for advice and I concurred with her decision and her reasons for her choice. Believe me, if I thought she was making a mistake, I would have told her so. She is an adult and can make her own choices, but, I am blessed to have a daughter that wants my input and will listen to my reasoning with an open mind before making such an important decision for her life. Sounds like you've done a fine job of raising a wonderful young lady OB. Best of luck to her in her education.:)

JHS_c/o_06'
06-30-2010, 07:11 PM
I had about 2 pages worth of stuff written out. Then i erased it because i realized how pointless it was. Here is a summary

* I am a UT student (semester shy of graduating) that was raised in a small conservative town
* Love my school, one of the best school you can go to in the country
* My girlfriend of 2 years goes to aTm and was raised in a smaller more conservative town. So I spend a good deal of time in College Station.
* Austin has its problems, but College Station has more
* Being a guy with long hair, i'm treated badly by strangers and judged by people in college station because I'm different.
* Despite the fact I voted straight republican ticket.
* Id always let my child choose where to go as long as we could afford it, but I'd rather them go to Texas and experience more and not be in a communty that (from what I have been able to tell) is VERY judgemental towards anyone that does not fit a particular mold.
*I don't have spell check on here so i apologize for the horrible spelling.
* If you want to know more - PM me.

ol country boy
06-30-2010, 07:56 PM
very good objective response

BaseballUmp
06-30-2010, 07:58 PM
I lived in College Station for 2 years until moving to San Marcos this past year...best move I ever made. Yea I liked College Station at the time, but the move to San Marcos was a great one. My girlfriend also lives in College Station at the moment, but she's also transferring to Texas State in the fall. I just feel like things are much more laid back here unlike in CS. And Austin, I don't think I could ever live there. I couldn't see myself living anywhere that big. I've been downtown only a few times and its sort of depressing. Maybe it was the friend drama in CS (most likely) but I don't miss it one bit.

LH Panther Mom
06-30-2010, 09:41 PM
UT isn't as liberal as it used to be
:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

crabman
06-30-2010, 09:52 PM
There was just an insert in the Victoria Advocate newspaper where they had the Valedictorian and Salutatorian from Victoria and every surrounding school the newspaper serves. It listed the college the kids would be attending. 18 of them were going to A&M and 2 to UT. I thought it interesting. Five years ago it was the opposite. It comes and goes.

Both great schools. Both very different. I am an Aggie.

BaseballUmp
06-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by crabman
There was just an insert in the Victoria Advocate newspaper where they had the Valedictorian and Salutatorian from Victoria and every surrounding school the newspaper serves. It listed the college the kids would be attending. 18 of them were going to A&M and 2 to UT. I thought it interesting. Five years ago it was the opposite. It comes and goes.

Both great schools. Both very different. I am an Aggie.

That may be because of which school is offering scholarships...i know in cameron, there is usually more of one school offering scholarships to vals and sals than any other...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Go where you think you will have the most fun. I grew up a UT fan but enjoyed College Station a lot more than Austin simply because I grew up on a farm that was 15 miles out of town down a mile long dead end road and didn't like how fast-paced Austin is. Football was the other reason I came to A&M. College Station is a nice community, the people are friendly and there is a lot of pride and tradition.

In the same token, the people here in College Station are close-minded and ignorant. If staying away from Austin because of homosexuals and diversity is reason for you to not want to go to a great university and receive a top-notch education, then College Station would be a great place for you and you would fit right in. I've learned a lot about people from being here, mostly that 95 percent of the people who dress country, act country, and drive big trucks grew up in town and could count the number of times they've built fence, hauled hay, or milked a cow on one hand. I've also learned that these people have no tolerance for people to live their life freely by their own means and even though their religion says not to they're the first to cast judgment on people who are different. You would love it in College Station. Come be an Aggie.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-30-2010, 10:07 PM

There aren't many. And most people assume that they're athletes.

JHS_c/o_06'
07-01-2010, 02:54 AM
I'd also like to point out that BBDE is one of my closest friends and he goes to A&M. So it can't be that bad!

JasperDog94
07-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I've also learned that these people have no tolerance for people to live their life freely by their own means and even though their religion says not to they're the first to cast judgment on people who are different. At the risk of dredging up an old argument, I'm going to assume that you are talking about homosexuality since you specifically mentioned it earlier in your post. The Scripture most often quoted here is Matthew 7:1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Taken by itself, one might mistakenly interpret that to say we are not to judge anyone for anything. And if we do that them maybe we will not in turn be judged. Well, unfortunately that is not the case either. We will all stand in account one day, but that is another discussion.

But to understand this in context, the following verses need to be understood. Verse 2 goes on to say, "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Later verses go on to illustrate this point even further. The main thing this verse talks about is judging others when you are doing the exact same thing. In other words being a hypocrite. If I were an alcoholic I would have no business telling someone else to abstain from alcohol.

The Bible, the words I try to live my life by, state that homosexuality is wrong. I will continue to say it is wrong until the day I die. That doesn't mean that I hate homosexuals, but that does mean I will judge their behaviors as wrong. The same goes for adultery, murder, stealing, etc...

By no means am I perfect. But when something is clearly laid out in Scripture, I am bound to attempt to hold that same standard.

ol country boy
07-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
At the risk of dredging up an old argument, I'm going to assume that you are talking about homosexuality since you specifically mentioned it earlier in your post. The Scripture most often quoted here is Matthew 7:1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Taken by itself, one might mistakenly interpret that to say we are not to judge anyone for anything. And if we do that them maybe we will not in turn be judged. Well, unfortunately that is not the case either. We will all stand in account one day, but that is another discussion.

But to understand this in context, the following verses need to be understood. Verse 2 goes on to say, "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Later verses go on to illustrate this point even further. The main thing this verse talks about is judging others when you are doing the exact same thing. In other words being a hypocrite. If I were an alcoholic I would have no business telling someone else to abstain from alcohol.

The Bible, the words I try to live my life by, state that homosexuality is wrong. I will continue to say it is wrong until the day I die. That doesn't mean that I hate homosexuals, but that does mean I will judge their behaviors as wrong. The same goes for adultery, murder, stealing, etc...

By no means am I perfect. But when something is clearly laid out in Scripture, I am bound to attempt to hold that same standard.

I agree with you.

JHS_c/o_06'
07-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
At the risk of dredging up an old argument, I'm going to assume that you are talking about homosexuality since you specifically mentioned it earlier in your post. The Scripture most often quoted here is Matthew 7:1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Taken by itself, one might mistakenly interpret that to say we are not to judge anyone for anything. And if we do that them maybe we will not in turn be judged. Well, unfortunately that is not the case either. We will all stand in account one day, but that is another discussion.

While your judgement is sound and has logic behind it. The majority of people in College Station that share your view (as i said, at least from what i've seen) are not as level headed as you and do have a hatred, not because it is in scripture, but because they are different than themselves.

Emerson1
07-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I've learned a lot about people from being here, mostly that 95 percent of the people who dress country, act country, and drive big trucks grew up in town and could count the number of times they've built fence, hauled hay, or milked a cow on one hand.
Me and my friends call these people "fighters". In HS they were always trying to start fights and usually lost to anyone bigger then them.

The requirements are what you listed, plus you have to be drunk most nights(usually on only a couple beers) and drive your truck really fast through parking lots and accelerate to top speed as quickly as possible and look like a douche bag blaring your system daddy paid for.

It's why I am dreading moving to Stephenville.

coach
07-01-2010, 06:51 PM
i was going to say isnt tarelton like a higher learning center for those type of ppl

JasperDog94
07-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
While your judgement is sound and has logic behind it. The majority of people in College Station that share your view (as i said, at least from what i've seen) are not as level headed as you and do have a hatred, not because it is in scripture, but because they are different than themselves. I'll have to take your word for it. No doubt there are those who hate just because someone is different. That is absolutely wrong. It just bothers me that people misquote/misuse Matthew 7:1 in an attempt to make it sound like Christians should never judge anyone for anything. If that were the case then Christians would believe in complete anarchy. :crazy:

oldtownag
07-02-2010, 06:18 PM
First, I'd like to say that I am glad EMERSON1 is moving to Stephenville.

Now, A&M or tu? We are lucky to have 2 Flagship University's here in Texas to send our children. Anyone would be lucky to have their children attend either school. Let them decide because they can't make a wrong decision.

P.S. If they are a little challenged they can always go to Tech! :)

Old Tiger
07-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by oldtownag
First, I'd like to say that I am glad EMERSON1 is moving to Stephenville.

Now, A&M or tu? We are lucky to have 2 Flagship University's here in Texas to send our children. Anyone would be lucky to have their children attend either school. Let them decide because they can't make a wrong decision.

P.S. If they are a little challenged they can always go to Tech! :) Why would anyone want to send their kids to Louisiana for college let alone Tulane.