PDA

View Full Version : Another day, another arrested NFLer at a bar

ziggy29
06-29-2010, 11:43 AM
When the AAS first posted "breaking news" about Cedric Benson's arrest for assault, my first thought was: "let me guess -- at a nightclub, right?"

Sure enough:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/blotter/entries/2010/06/29/cedric_benson_arrested_charged.html

Former University of Texas football player Cedric Benson was arrested and charged with assault with injury early today after an incident last month at Annie’s West at 706 West Sixth Street, where officials said he punched a bar employee in the face.

One has to wonder how powerful the lure these places must be to athletes when you think about how many of them risk (or lose) their multi-million dollar careers because of hanging out around them.

DDBooger
06-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by ziggy29
When the AAS first posted "breaking news" about Cedric Benson's arrest for assault, my first thought was: "let me guess -- at a nightclub, right?"

Sure enough:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/blotter/entries/2010/06/29/cedric_benson_arrested_charged.html

One has to wonder how powerful the lure these places must be to athletes when you think about how many of them risk (or lose) their multi-million dollar careers because of hanging out around them.
He had a pretty good season with Cincy too. Oh well :rolleyes:

ziggy29
06-29-2010, 11:46 AM
When a story involves an NFL or NBA player, a nightclub and 2 AM, it's never good. But disturbingly common.

Ernest T Bass
06-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Just like my dad told me when I wanted to get my curfew increased at age 16; "Nothing good happens after midnight".

Old Tiger
06-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Just like my dad told me when I wanted to get my curfew increased at age 16; "Nothing good happens after midnight". I beg to differ.

Spread It Out
06-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Just like my dad told me when I wanted to get my curfew increased at age 16; "Nothing good happens after midnight".

He lies.

PPSTATEBOUND
06-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Spread It Out
He lies.

:tisk:

LE Dad
06-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Who hasn't wanted to punch a bouncer?:thinking:

waterboy
06-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I beg to differ.
:spitlol: Depends on they're talking about......:D

A better question is will a grand jury fail to indict........again? Maybe, just maybe, he would've learned his lesson after those first two arrests if they would've indicted him.

DDBooger
06-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
:spitlol: Depends on they're talking about......:D

A better question is will a grand jury fail to indict........again? Maybe, just maybe, he would've learned his lesson after those first two arrests if they would've indicted him.
Misdemeanor assault isn't much. However, I'm sure the Commish isn't going to see it that way.

Pick6
06-29-2010, 01:56 PM

He was right, people had respectable morals back then also.

Txbroadcaster
06-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
He was right, people had respectable morals back then also.

LOL BS..The media just was not all over it and not everyone back then was looking to be the next person who got into a fight with someone famous

LE Dad
06-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
LOL BS..The media just was not all over it and not everyone back then was looking to be the next person who got into a fight with someone famous Very true... Things happen and somtimes it does get a little physical, but there is generally no need to involve the police. If it was 2 average guys this would be a non story.

PPSTATEBOUND
06-29-2010, 02:11 PM
LOL BS..The media just was not all over it and not everyone back then was looking to be the next person who got into a fight with someone famous

LOL..... to call it B.S. or to say the moral belt is not loosening to the point of almost falling off these day for the younger generation and even some oldies is quite a reach.:)

PPSTATEBOUND
06-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Very true... Things happen and somtimes it does get a little physical, but there is generally no need to involve the police. If it was 2 average guys this would be a non story.

Would have to agree.

Txbroadcaster
06-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
LOL..... to call it B.S. or to say the moral belt is not loosening to the point of almost falling off these day for the younger generation and even some oldies is quite a reach.:)

The "moral belt" is about the same, we just have a ton more outlets that report on every thing that happens. We have studies now on every little point of fact, we have scare groups that like to create the illusion that OMG the world is falling apart because morals are not there.

Case in point the average teenage birth rate is almost exact same now as it was in the 40's...difference is in the 40's it was not blasted all over the place. Society HID those they thought were not moral, now it is out for everyone to see.

Pick6
06-29-2010, 02:26 PM
The "moral belt" is about the same,

As a whole, not even close to being the same.

Txbroadcaster
06-29-2010, 02:33 PM
As a whole, not even close to being the same.

yea it really is, just alot of people like to pretend that in the "good ole days" things were better because it is easier to gripe about the world's problems now by saying well when we were kids or back in the old days things were better

DDBooger
06-29-2010, 02:33 PM
As a whole, not even close to being the same. True, it's no longer unacceptable for a colored fella to eat in a white only restaurant because that was considered abominable. A minority male can walk hand in hand with a white lady (not everywhere). Gays can be themselves in public w/o deeply religious folks bashing their brains in. :D

Truth is MOST morals are relative and subjective.

DDBooger
06-29-2010, 02:34 PM
yea it really is, just alot of people like to pretend that in the "good ole days" things were better because it is easier to gripe about the world's problems now by saying well when we were kids or back in the old days things were better Media has an astonishing way of dropping a sh*t ton of bad news on us at once when it was always there in the first place.

Pick6
06-29-2010, 02:42 PM
yea it really is, just alot of people like to pretend that in the "good ole days" things were better because it is easier to gripe about the world's problems now by saying well when we were kids or back in the old days things were better

30 years ago you could let your kids walk almost anywhere in Dallas you wanted. Can you today? 30 years ago if you got in a fight with someone you shook hands and everything was forgotten when it was over. Does that still happen today? There's a reason it's called the "good ole days".

Txbroadcaster
06-29-2010, 02:47 PM
30 years ago you could let your kids walk almost anywhere in Dallas you wanted. Can you today? 30 years ago if you got in a fight with someone you shook hands and everything was forgotten when it was over. Does that still happen today? There's a reason it's called the "good ole days".

in 1980 Dallas had 2 million people..in 2000 it
has 5 million people. More people more chance for crime

Look at it this way

in 1960 National Crime rate was 160.9 and in 2008 it was 454.9 Sounds like an OMG rise..but the % is still about the same as far as crime to population rate.

Murder in 1960 was at 5.1...in 2008..5.4 not that much of a rise. So the same amount of crime is happening just in greater number because of greater population.

ziggy29
06-29-2010, 02:53 PM
in 1960 National Crime rate was 160.9 and in 2008 it was 454.9 Sounds like an OMG rise..but the % is still about the same as far as crime to population rate.
The *rate* reported already factors in population growth.

Pick6
06-29-2010, 02:56 PM
More people = more crime?

You still said more crime.

Do you lock your car at night or at the mall? Living in Lewisville in the 70's and 80's we left the keys in the car and we didn't even lock the doors to the house, ever.

It's just not crime. It's obvious that kids today don't respect the older generations as kids in the past did, or even other peoples personal belongings.

Txbroadcaster
06-29-2010, 02:59 PM
The *rate* reported already factors in population growth.

Usually it will say per capita or per 100,000 if it factors in growth, I dont see that in what I am reading but you could be right

Txbroadcaster
06-29-2010, 03:01 PM
More people = more crime?

You still said more crime.

Do you lock your car at night or at the mall? Living in Lewisville in the 70's and 80's we left the keys in the car and we didn't even lock the doors to the house, ever.

It's just not crime. It's obvious that kids today don't respect the older generations as kids in the past did, or even other peoples personal belongings.

More crime because of more people means the % of the immoral are still about the same.

I dont lock my car or house half time and I dont live in the greatest area in DFW, not a bad area, just an older one.

The part about the kids is subjective and honestly cant be proven by either side.

ziggy29
06-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Usually it will say per capita or per 100,000 if it factors in growth, I dont see that in what I am reading but you could be right
Maybe, but if it were actually reported as a *rate*, that implies that it's already been normalized for population growth, since a rate is basically the number of incidents divided by the size of the population.

eagleqb_14
06-29-2010, 03:08 PM
didnt he play for Texas?

Txbroadcaster
06-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Maybe, but if it were actually reported as a *rate*, that implies that it's already been normalized for population growth, since a rate is basically the number of incidents divided by the size of the population.

yea i cant find if it is rate or not was my point, I am reading off notes from an old class lol

I did find this though

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

% wise rise in crime = rise in population. Not in all cases..things like rape has a HUGE rise..is that because of more rape or more reporting of rape than in the past?

Pick6
06-29-2010, 03:10 PM
More crime because of more people means the % of the immoral are still about the same.

I dont lock my car or house half time and I dont live in the greatest area in DFW, not a bad area, just an older one.

The part about the kids is subjective and honestly cant be proven by either side.

Take a walk down Dolphin Rd tonight after dark, something that could be done in "the good ole days".

DDBooger
06-29-2010, 03:11 PM
is that because of more rape or more reporting of rape than in the past? Precisely! It is one of the most under reported crimes there is. Mostly because it predominantly occurs between two people who know each other. However, the rate has risen as women have felt more empowered to report it.

Txbroadcaster
06-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Take a walk down Dolphin Rd tonight after dark, something that could be done in "the good ole days".

Pick you can play that game anywhere at any point in time. It would be safer to walk down certain roads in 1900 than in 1930 because of in growth and out growth.

There are also certain areas 15 years ago you would not DARE walk down and now are perfectly safe and that is all due to the ebb and flow of urban growth and decay

Pick6
06-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Pick you can play that game anywhere at any point in time. It would be safer to walk down certain roads in 1900 than in 1930 because of in growth and out growth.

There are also certain areas 15 years ago you would not DARE walk down and now are perfectly safe and that is all due to the ebb and flow of urban growth and decay

Not playing a game, just know I was safer walking around than kids of today are.

Txbroadcaster
06-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Not playing a game, just know I was safer walking around than kids of today are.

And there are areas that back when you were a kid would NOT be safer then than today

coach
06-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by eagleqb_14
didnt he play for Texas?

duh....isnt every athlete now that gets arrested either plays for texas or oregon

Pick6
06-29-2010, 03:33 PM
And there are areas that back when you were a kid would NOT be safer then than today

i'd be almost willing to bet there's less safer places today than in the past.

waterboy
06-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Misdemeanor assault isn't much. However, I'm sure the Commish isn't going to see it that way.
You're right. Misdemeanor assault isn't much, but he shouldn't have gotten away with it without at least being fined. I know a few times.....:eek: ......I ALWAYS had to pay a fine.:doh: He got out of trouble because of who he was most likely, and the grand jury knew it wasn't worth it. I'm hoping this time he has to at least pay a fine in a criminal court........but I wouldn't count on it...... I'm pretty sure the Commish will punish him in some way, though, which would at least send the right message, and it'll definitely cost him more money anyway.

garciap77
06-29-2010, 04:30 PM
....... I know a few times.....:eek: ......I ALWAYS had to pay a fine.:doh: ........

You "THUG"!:D

;)

waterboy
06-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by garciap77

;)
Well.......uuhhh.......it was always cheaper to just plead guilty...:D

LE Dad
06-29-2010, 04:55 PM

;) :hand:What some people refer to as violence I just call....

FUN!! :D

waterboy
06-29-2010, 04:58 PM
:hand:What some people refer to as violence I just call....

FUN!! :D
I did too.........then.:D

LE Dad
06-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Well.......uuhhh.......it was always cheaper to just plead guilty...:D I am a firm believer in deferred adjudication or no contest pleas... :nerd: I might of done it but I am not gonna admit it.:D

LE Dad
06-29-2010, 05:04 PM
I did too.........then.:D Yeah... Bones are getting pretty brittle nowdays. :dispntd: I can still do everything I did as a kid , it just hurts alot more now.:thinking: :nerd:

Ahhh... The good ole days.:D

LH Panther Mom
06-29-2010, 05:26 PM

Hey! At least it wasn't a strip joint! :D

And :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Idiot...

Buckeye1980
06-30-2010, 11:41 AM
I am a firm believer in deferred adjudication or no contest pleas... :nerd: I might of done it but I am not gonna admit it.:D

Deferred adjudication and no contest pleas are not "not admitting guilt.

Deferred adjudication involves pleading guilty but a finding of guilt will not occur unless your probation terms are violated, but you plead guilty.

"No contest pleas" involve you being found guilty by judge but the finding of guilt cannot be used in civil processes.

Buckeye1980
06-30-2010, 11:45 AM
You're right. Misdemeanor assault isn't much, but he shouldn't have gotten away with it without at least being fined. I know a few times.....:eek: ......I ALWAYS had to pay a fine.:doh: He got out of trouble because of who he was most likely, and the grand jury knew it wasn't worth it. I'm hoping this time he has to at least pay a fine in a criminal court........but I wouldn't count on it...... I'm pretty sure the Commish will punish him in some way, though, which would at least send the right message, and it'll definitely cost him more money anyway.

Sorry Waterboy , but Grand Juries do not make any choices on misdemeanor cases. Misdemeanor cases are not persented to Grand Jury, they are filed by complaint by the DA's office

Buckeye1980
06-30-2010, 11:47 AM

Sure enough:

Why does the story state "former UT player" instead of "CURRENT Cincinatti Bengal" ?

garciap77
06-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Very true... Things happen and somtimes it does get a little physical, but there is generally no need to involve the police. If it was 2 average guys this would be a non story.

Will any police be called @ your 4th of July party, if things get out of hand between you and Rocket? Just asking!:D

;)

garciap77
06-30-2010, 04:27 PM
ttt

BreckTxLonghorn
06-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
Why does the story state "former UT player" instead of "CURRENT Cincinatti Bengal" ?

Because thats the Austin American Statesman, so it's a better reference for the demographic it serves.

garciap77
07-01-2010, 10:33 PM
LE DAD! Will any police be called @ your 4th of July party, if things get out of hand between you and Rocket? Just asking!

Just answer the question!:D

;)

BEAST
07-01-2010, 10:57 PM
LE DAD! Will any police be called @ your 4th of July party, if things get out of hand between you and Rocket? Just asking!

Just answer the question!:D

;)

Be very careful LE. Rockets not a fighter, I am. Anything you say can and WILL be used against you as I decide how best to beat you down.

:D :D

BEAST

Old Tiger
07-01-2010, 11:15 PM
What class misdemeanor is it? C is just a slap on the wrist for example it carries about the same fine as a traffic citation.

Buckeye1980
07-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
What class misdemeanor is it? C is just a slap on the wrist for example it carries about the same fine as a traffic citation.

Simple assault is Class A misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $4000 and/or county jail time up to one year

waterboy
07-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Sorry Waterboy , but Grand Juries do not make any choices on misdemeanor cases. Misdemeanor cases are not persented to Grand Jury, they are filed by complaint by the DA's office
Did you read the article? The article says, and I quote:

"In 2008, Benson was arrested for two alcohol-related incidents, but a Travis County grand jury declined to indict him and charges were dropped."

Clearly, the '08 charges WERE brought before a grand jury. If I'm not mistaken, both charges were misdemeanors with one of the charges being a Class A misdemeanor. I think I remember one of the two charges being a DUI.

Buckeye1980
07-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Did you read the article? The article says, and I quote:

"In 2008, Benson was arrested for two alcohol-related incidents, but a Travis County grand jury declined to indict him and charges were dropped."

Clearly, the '08 charges WERE brought before a grand jury. If I'm not mistaken, both charges were misdemeanors with one of the charges being a Class A misdemeanor. I think I remember one of the two charges being a DUI.

The article must be wrong then because misdemeanor charges are NOT brought before grand juries, that is State stautes

garciap77
07-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Be very careful LE. Rockets not a fighter, I am. Anything you say can and WILL be used against you as I decide how best to beat you down.

BEAST

:eek: :eek: :eek:

LE Dad
07-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Deferred adjudication and no contest pleas are not "not admitting guilt.

Deferred adjudication involves pleading guilty but a finding of guilt will not occur unless your probation terms are violated, but you plead guilty.

"No contest pleas" involve you being found guilty by judge but the finding of guilt cannot be used in civil processes. Both are ways of not contesting charges of which you are obiviosly going to be convicted. Usually a judge will dismiss the deferred charges in as little as 90 days. No contest is, as I stated, a way of not admitting guilt. Both can be career savers and I am glad I was aware of both in my youth. I, for the mostpart, have a clean record despite many nights of less than admirable behavior. Nolo contende is also alot easier to get expunged from your record than being found guilty. :)

Bull Butter
07-02-2010, 11:42 PM

Uh, probably because the article appeared in the Austin American-Statesman. You see, the American-Satesman is based in Austin,Texas. That happens to be the same city where the University of Texas (UT) is located, meaning Benson spent a great deal of time in that city playing College Football. If this came from the Cincinnati Enquirer then it probably would mention Benson as a Bengals running back.

LE Dad
07-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Will any police be called @ your 4th of July party, if things get out of hand between you and Rocket? Just asking!:D

;) Called:confused: Probably be a couple here already along with a JP. We can hold poolside court.... Hope wittle Rockee brings his floaties. :D

LE Dad
07-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST :tisk: :tisk:
My house...my rules... :D

#1 LE Dad is always right.

OK my RULE, but with one that good why muck it up with a bunch of blah, blah, blah.:thinking: :nerd:

garciap77
07-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Called:confused: Probably be a couple here already along with a JP. We can hold poolside court.... Hope wittle Rockee brings his floaties . :D

:D

;)

LH Panther Mom
07-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
meaning Benson spent a great deal of time in that city playing College Football.
And getting in trouble with the long arm of the law. :devil: