PDA

View Full Version : MLB pitchers

orange machine
06-27-2010, 02:24 AM
Has anybody else noticed that the major league pitchers seem to be throwing harder? There are alot of pitchers throwing 100 or better I don't ever remember pitchers throwing this hard.

bigwood33
06-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Certainly seems that way. I have heard Eric Nadel (Rangers play by play radio guy) say that the guns can be manipulated. He has said that certain guns, in certain parks, are slower or faster than others. He told a story once about a real hard thrower (I can't remember who) that they manipulated the gun at Arlington to show slower than he was really throwing. He was apparently a high 90's guy and they showed 92-93 on the gun and sometimes even 90 and 91. He got pissed! Eric said that the slower they showed him on the scoreboard the harder he tried to throw. He got frustrated and angry and tired. The harder he tried to throw, the worse his location. It was a pretty funny story.

But, yes, I think there are more hard throwers today than there were a generation ago. Maybe modern training methods are the difference. It will be interesting to see how many of them manage to stay healthy, long term.

CenTexSports
06-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Look at the height of the current pitching group. There are more 6' 5" and over pitchers than ever before. Every time the pitchers get the upper hand, MLB lowers the mound height. I think you will see them lower it again in the next couple of years.

bigwood33
06-27-2010, 09:20 AM
The mound has been lowered 1 time (appreciably lowered) in the last 60 years and that was because of Bob Gibson. No one else was dominating hitters like him and just like Wilt caused the lane to be widened (and not since) Gibson was the reason it (mound) was lowered in the late '60's. I doubt seriously that the league will loser the mound. If they want to "level the playing field" between pitchers and hitters, look for them to work with umpires to adjust their (umpires) strike zone. That would make a much bigger difference in run production than lowering the mound.

ziggy29
06-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Overall offense is down but not by *that* much. I think in terms of overall offense we're seeing more of a reversion to the mean than a pitcher-dominated era.

Having said that, the number of standout pitching performances -- no-hitters, one-hitters, perfect games and should-have-been perfect games -- this season is fairly staggering.

Txbroadcaster
06-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
The mound has been lowered 1 time (appreciably lowered) in the last 60 years and that was because of Bob Gibson. No one else was dominating hitters like him and just like Wilt caused the lane to be widened (and not since) Gibson was the reason it (mound) was lowered in the late '60's. I doubt seriously that the league will loser the mound. If they want to "level the playing field" between pitchers and hitters, look for them to work with umpires to adjust their (umpires) strike zone. That would make a much bigger difference in run production than lowering the mound.

Gibson was a reason but not THE reason they lowered the mound. It was because pitching in general was dominatng and hitting was terrible

That year Yaz led the league in hitting with a .301.

CenTexSports
06-27-2010, 10:45 AM
The announcers on a game I was watching last week were talking about the pitching and they thought that it was a good possibility that the mound would be lowered.

orange machine
06-27-2010, 10:55 AM
5 years ago I would say there were only a handful of teams that had a legit pitcher throwing 100. Now it seems that most teams have atleast 1 if not more.

Txbroadcaster
06-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
The announcers on a game I was watching last week were talking about the pitching and they thought that it was a good possibility that the mound would be lowered.

ehh pitching is nowhere near dominant enough right now to even think about lowering..in fact it is balancing out more than anything

DDBooger
06-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
ehh pitching is nowhere near dominant enough right now to even think about lowering..in fact it is balancing out more than anything +1

Maroon87
06-27-2010, 12:39 PM
How weird is it that one of the best teams in the league the last few years (Rays) have been no-hit 3 times since last July?:eek:

Emerson1
06-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Who are all these pitchers throwing over 100?

I don't watch much baseball, but the only player so far to top 100 I have seen is Feliz.

And it's all about players training better and being stronger. That and the recovery time is probably a lot faster then it was 10-15 years ago.

eagles_victory
06-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Every now and then a pitcher can tune it up esp some of the bullpen guys but if you are talking about starting pitchers laster Ubaldo Jiminez led the league in average speed for a starter throwing 95.7 on average.

orange machine
06-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Who are all these pitchers throwing over 100?

I don't watch much baseball, but the only player so far to top 100 I have seen is Feliz.

And it's all about players training better and being stronger. That and the recovery time is probably a lot faster then it was 10-15 years ago.

I was watching espn last night and they were talking about all the pitchers that are throwing over 100mph in todays game vs the pitchers from the past.

coach
06-28-2010, 11:17 AM
they are probably on some new roid that is undetectable

Old Tiger
06-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Anyone else notice that MLB hitters aren't rocking the balls as far since the PED talk started.

coach
06-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Anyone else notice that MLB hitters aren't rocking the balls as far since the PED talk started.

unless you are josh hamilton...he hit one 468 last night

Old Tiger
06-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by coach
unless you are josh hamilton...he hit one 468 last night I meant hitting the home runs like they used to

crzyjournalist03
06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I meant hitting the home runs like they used to

I think that steroids play a significant part in that; I also think that the current baseball era is shifting more toward the pitcher. These things go in cycles, and I think we're embarking on a cycle where pitchers will be better than hitters for the next decade or so.

With more and more teams buying into the pitching and defense scheme as opposed to offense, you're seeing more and more marginal offensive players in the big leagues as a result of their defensive abilities. Also, teams that draft players that have the ability to either pitch or hit seem to be leaning more toward pitching lately than hitting.