PDA

View Full Version : Best mexican food restaurant

eagleqb_14
06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
there is one in palestine called litttle mexico and its great

LE Dad
06-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by eagleqb_14
there is one in palestine called litttle mexico and its great La Familia in Sulphur Springs is outstaning
other notables...
Two Senoritas- Mt. Pleasant
La Caretta- Texarkana
Zapptas- Texarkana (best margaritas EVER)
Homeros- Marshall (little different taste, but good)

Don't make it down Palestine way much, but will have to give that one a try.

eagles_victory
06-24-2010, 06:50 PM
there is one in palestine called litttle mexico and its great Overrated (insert claps) Overrated... overrated.

Originally posted by LE Dad

Two Senoritas- Mt. Pleasant
Heard a rumor a few years back they had tuberclosis sp? there. But the couple times I ate there it was pretty good although I usually go to El Chico much more.

hawkfan
06-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Don Jose's in Wichita Falls
Mercado's in Tyler
Ochoa's in Malakoff
Hernadez in Malakoff
Athen's Cafe in Athens
Texican's in Iowa Park

sinton66
06-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Mamacita's in Deer Park/Pasadena.

Bull Butter
06-24-2010, 08:16 PM
http://www.texcenproperties.com/Photos/DSC01028.JPG

SintonFan
06-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Mamacita's in Deer Park/Pasadena.

Is that the same Mamacita's chain that is in New Braunfels, San Antonio? If so, I love their Chicken Fried Portobello Strips.:cool:

Gotta love the topic, it's good to see what new people like.:)

BaseballUmp
06-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
http://www.texcenproperties.com/Photos/DSC01028.JPG

I went there about 2 months ago...heard great great things about it but wasnt too fond of it myself...maybe I didnt order the right thing

Bull Butter
06-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Is that the same Mamacita's chain that is in New Braunfels, San Antonio? If so, I love their Chicken Fried Portobello Strips.:cool:

Or people who don't usually weigh in on these type of things. The title of the thread caught my eye because I happen to be hungry at the moment :)

BaseballUmp
06-24-2010, 08:30 PM

There is one here in san marcos too...to me, there is no mexican food like a small city restaurant

I love Los Comales in Cameron!

Bull Butter
06-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp

I love Los Comales in Cameron!

There's a Los Comales in Rockport,which is really good. Wonder if it's the same owners?

Charlie47
06-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Jalapeno's Grill; Allen, TX:clap: :D

SintonFan
06-24-2010, 08:50 PM
There is one here in san marcos too...to me, there is no mexican food like a small city restaurant

Maybe that's the one I'm thinking of. Got the sparkling ceiling and "animaltronics"? Those fried mushrooms are amongst the best I have had. And I AM a fried mushroom enthusiast.
:nerd:

True true BB but this topic tends to re-occur.:cool:

LH Panther Mom
06-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Probably the best I've eaten is Gallego's (Alpine), Tasty Taco (Littlefield), Leal's (the original in Muleshoe), Josie's (Lubbock) , Taco Pueblo (Lubbock) and some burrito dive/shack in Midland.

Tasty Taco has apparently closed...but it was awesome! :(

BaseballUmp
06-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Maybe that's the one I'm thinking of. Got the sparkling ceiling and "animaltronics"? Those fried mushrooms are amongst the best I have had. And I AM a fried mushroom enthusiast.
:nerd:

True true BB but this topic tends to re-occur.:cool:
Naw I'm pretty sure there is one in NB and SA as well...I've been to the one here twice...margaritas are good but that was about all I enjoyed...and they have this weird green sauce unlike the normal green sauce at other places.

BTW, anyone know how to make the green sauce like they have at Casa Ole? The stuff is the ish!!!

SintonFan
06-24-2010, 09:20 PM
I like the green sauce at El Jalisco Grill close to my house on Babcock Road. It is a fusion of tomatillo and guacamole sauces. Interesting, light and a little spicy.
Good on chips.:cool:

Txbroadcaster
06-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Gonzalos in Longview is AWESOME!!!!

eagleqb_14
06-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Overrated (insert claps) Overrated... overrated.

Heard a rumor a few years back they had tuberclosis sp? there. But the couple times I ate there it was pretty good although I usually go to El Chico much more. your stupid if you think its overrated

sinton66
06-24-2010, 09:58 PM

Probably. I've seen others around. This one's about 1/2 a block from my apt.;)

DU_stud04
06-24-2010, 10:16 PM
i like el mil in fort worth off of hemphill....there is another one just a few blocks away thats pretty good as well. then there is this one place in irving right outside of fiesta, off of 183,inbetween story and macarthur... great stuff. other than that, havent ate at a mexican restaurant anywhere in texas and thought afterwards... "man, id come back here again"

DDBooger
06-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Taco Palenque in Laredo, Valley and SA. Awesome Salsa rojo. I always get a Pirata (Taco with fajita, cheese and been).

eagles_victory
06-24-2010, 10:22 PM
your stupid if you think its overrated Don't make me come punt you across Fairfield.

44INAROW
06-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
There's a Los Comales in Rockport,which is really good. Wonder if it's the same owners?
I love the Los Camales in Rockport. Excellent mexican seafood :)

garciap77
06-24-2010, 10:46 PM
I love the Carnitas at Jesse's Cantina & Restaurant in South Parde!:)

eagleqb_14
06-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Don't make me come punt you across Fairfield. if you could catch

STANG RED
06-24-2010, 11:32 PM
The 1000 or so Taco Cabana's in San Antonio (just about every street corner), arent too bad after a night of drinking, and your starving. Actually they do have some pretty good sauces.

Im actually a big fan of Abuelo's in Abilene. Never ate at another one, but I know that one is great.

waterboy
06-25-2010, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Gonzalos in Longview is AWESOME!!!!
Never heard of this one. Where exactly is it? Must be new. I'll have to try it...

Txbroadcaster
06-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Never heard of this one. Where exactly is it? Must be new. I'll have to try it...

no not new been there for at least the last 30 years it is on the loop close to the old Wal Mart

waterboy
06-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
no not new been there for at least the last 30 years it is on the loop close to the old Wal Mart
:eek: Dang! I must be blind. I don't remember ever seeing it. Is it in the same strip mall thingamajig that the old Wal-Mart was in? I had to yank out the old phone book just to see if it was listed. I thought I knew every restaurant in Longview. I guess not........but I will have to try it now.

Txbroadcaster
06-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
:eek: Dang! I must be blind. I don't remember ever seeing it. Is it in the same strip mall thingamajig that the old Wal-Mart was in? I had to yank out the old phone book just to see if it was listed. I thought I knew every restaurant in Longview. I guess not........but I will have to try it now.

HAs some of the best Chilie Rellnos in the state. He only uses fresh peppers so alot of times they get a new shipment in on Thursday and by Sat they are out

There are a TON of local/national celebrities who have signed pics on the wall and Matthew McConaughey at one time had orders shipped to him, though I dont know if he still does

Also have some of the best hot sauce, they have two flavors and both are awesome.

MUSTANG69
06-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Los Camales-Rockport
Kiko's-Corpus Christi
Senor Jaime's-Corpus Christi
Pepito's-Portland (new-belongs to the same people that own Pepito's in Aransas Pass)

mwrams
06-25-2010, 11:27 AM
El Paseo in Mineral Wells...awesome!

hookandladder
06-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Don Bravo's, Cuero,Tx.
Get the Chef Recommend

JJWalker
06-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Isn't the notion of "Best Mexican Food" just like saying, "The Special Olympics"?

crzyjournalist03
06-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by JJWalker
Isn't the notion of "Best Mexican Food" just like saying, "The Special Olympics"?

You sir, are hereby banned from the state of Texas.

AP Panther Fan
06-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
Los Camales-Rockport
Pepito's-Portland (new-belongs to the same people that own Pepito's in Aransas Pass)

I haven't tried the Portland restaurant. I hope the location isn't cursed or something (i.e. Bad Brad's Barbecue).

JJWalker
06-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
You sir, are hereby banned from the state of Texas.
In a couple of years, here in Texico, you might be able to run me off.

But for now, I can still say, "Remember the Alamo ... from the perspective of a masacre" ... not a great Mexican victory.

So, if it comes with re-fried beans, rice and tortillas, it is just sub-american standard eatin'. :eek:

MUSTANG69
06-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I haven't tried the Portland restaurant. I hope the location isn't cursed or something (i.e. Bad Brad's Barbecue).

Bad Brad's just had bad barbecue. No curse.

Pepito's(Portland) was packed the night I was there. My wife and I got there just before the crowd hit. When we left there were about 30 people outside sucking on beers waiting for a table. Food and service were good. Much better than the Pepito's in Aransas Pass.

eagleqb_14
06-25-2010, 02:37 PM
don joses is pretty good

Eagle 1
06-25-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure how to spell them, but
El Jarro De Auturo on Bitters road and Hwy 281 in San Antonio.
Best in Texas IMO.
El Panchito in San Angelo on Ave. D is pretty darn good too.
There's another place in Killeen Tx. on Veterans Memorial Drive.
I dont remember the name but its good too.

LE Dad
06-25-2010, 06:37 PM
don joses is pretty good Yeah I knew there was another that I forgot. Ate there the other day in Marshall. Pretty good food, salsa was kinda blah though... There is also another in Longview that I can't think of on Judson just off of 80. Heck I may just have to drive and find it next time I'm that way.

jp744
06-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Mat's El Ranchito Austin Texas

Spread It Out
06-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Galileos- Bellville

If you haven't eaten it, you haven't eaten mexican.

oldtownag
06-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Almost everyone is naming tex mex not mexican food.

Tex Mex - Los Nortenos in Bryan, TX has the best cheese enchiladas in the world.

Mexican - Fuel City in Dallas has awesome taco's

LE Dad
06-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by oldtownag
Almost everyone is naming tex mex not mexican food.

Tex Mex - Los Nortenos in Bryan, TX has the best cheese enchiladas in the world.

Mexican - Fuel City in Dallas has awesome taco's Fuel City:confused: :confused:

Now if your'e talking authentic I can carry you to a couple of places in Mt Pleasant... They aren't exactly restaurants but these ladies can cook the "real deal" :)

GreenMonster
06-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Uncle Julio's in Ft Worth
Sevi's Burrito Shop in Wichita Falls
Mi Tierra Cafe and Bakery in San Antonio

oldtownag
06-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Fuel City:confused: :confused:

Read here: http://www.texasmonthly.com/preview/2006-12-01/feature

AP Panther Fan
06-28-2010, 11:39 AM
When we left there were about 30 people outside sucking on beers waiting for a table. Food and service were good. Much better than the Pepito's in Aransas Pass.

Other than Chilis, Pepito's might be the only other place that serves alcohol in Portland. I've never really had any problems with service in AP other than they are so busy the wait can be lengthy. I know splitting the staff between the two restaurants has been tricky until they got more people hired and trained.

I haven't tried it yet, but Friday someone was telling me about the Mexican restaurant that is located where the "old" Nopalitos used to be. Supposed to be true Mexican food with a Yucatan influence including seafood dishes. Eh, I don't know, if it doesn't have rice, beans and tortillas it doesn't seem like Mexican food to me. :nerd:

MUSTANG69
06-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Other than Chilis, Pepito's might be the only other place that serves alcohol in Portland. I've never really had any problems with service in AP other than they are so busy the wait can be lengthy. I know splitting the staff between the two restaurants has been tricky until they got more people hired and trained.

I haven't tried it yet, but Friday someone was telling me about the Mexican restaurant that is located where the "old" Nopalitos used to be. Supposed to be true Mexican food with a Yucatan influence including seafood dishes. Eh, I don't know, if it doesn't have rice, beans and tortillas it doesn't seem like Mexican food to me. :nerd:

I wasn't aware that a restaurant had opened in the old "Nopalitos". May have to give it a try. Nopalitos has reopened in the old "Grill" restaurant. Will have to give that a try.

District303aPastPlayer
06-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Los Camales-Rockport
Kiko's-Corpus Christi
Senor Jaime's-Corpus Christi

Please tell me you are kidding with Senor Jaime's... That place is straight garbage. I went and ordered some shrimp quesadillas my first time and they were a) cold, b) using tiny little cocktail shrimp that i buy at heb, and c) just not good.

Kiko's is by far the best in Corpus... Until a Chacho's opens up.

MUSTANG69
06-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Please tell me you are kidding with Senor Jaime's... That place is straight garbage. I went and ordered some shrimp quesadillas my first time and they were a) cold, b) using tiny little cocktail shrimp that i buy at heb, and c) just not good.

Kiko's is by far the best in Corpus... Until a Chacho's opens up.

I have never had a problem at Senor Jaime's. Food and service has always been good.:thinking:

I do prefer Kikos over Senor Jaime's.

TRENCHES06
06-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Don Bravo's in Cuero is AMAZING

Lion_Addict
06-28-2010, 04:03 PM
"Salsas" in Galveston, on the Seawall.......

Blackcat1954
06-28-2010, 04:13 PM
There's a good little place in Edna on the right after passing through town before you get to Sonic

Ate there before a Van Vleck girls playoff basketball place. Sort of a dive but good echiladas

spaniard
06-30-2010, 08:45 PM
if you're ever in burnet, go by "the maxican". hwy 281 south by the hospital, great food!

BaseballUmp
06-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Idk, I just made some pretty ballin nachos lol just sayin

SintonFan
06-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by spaniard
if you're ever in burnet, go by "the maxican". hwy 281 south by the hospital, great food!

You really need to post more, fren.:D

spaniard
06-30-2010, 10:12 PM
You really need to post more, fren.:D

i know, it's been forever since i've been on here...my wife's photography business has really been taking off, and aside from that i've taken up being the volunteer youth pastor at our church up here. oh, and there's this whole thing about two kids under 3...hehe. i will definitely try and get on here more though, i definitely miss the camaraderie on this site

skins4life
06-30-2010, 10:45 PM
I went there about 2 months ago...heard great great things about it but wasnt too fond of it myself...maybe I didnt order the right thing

It shouldn't matter what you order if it's a "great" mexican food restaurant. It should all be good!!!

BaseballUmp
06-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by skins4life
It shouldn't matter what you order if it's a "great" mexican food restaurant. It should all be good!!!
yea i got chicken tacos and it was just regular...nothing special and my gf got enchiladas verdes and she said they were "ok" but I have definitely had much better

Old Tiger
06-30-2010, 11:27 PM

I love Los Comales in Cameron! I like the breakfast burritos that are the size of a chipotle burrito there!

Oh and any Mexican food restaurant north of I-20 in my experience is terrible.

Eagle Eyes
07-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Dos Mas in Webster
Cafe Del Rio in Lufkin

sinton66
07-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Casa Rio in San Antonio. Good food, good prices, great location right on the riverwalk.

Rabid Cougar
07-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Any Texmex Restaurant in Texas after 6 months in Iraq!!!!!!