PDA

View Full Version : Hey Matt

BwdLion_80
06-24-2010, 08:38 AM
There is a new rule this year in 7 on 7 that deals with the tackle box, no not the fishing one! Here is the rule:

Q. There will be an area referred to as the tackle box that extends 3 yards on both sides of the center and extending 3 yards deep into the backfield. No eligible receiver may align within the tackle box.

Have you seen this called at all this year? If so, what did the official call? Illegal formation? What was the penalty? The web site does not list a penalty for it.

wildstangs
06-24-2010, 08:43 AM
I have reffed a dozen or so games this year and havent called it yet. Did warn a few teams though about it though.

Matthew328
06-24-2010, 09:22 AM
When I ran the Snyder tournament since it was the first one, I instructed the officials to warn teams about it the first couple of times then start flagging for illegal formation.

It's a State Qualifier so it needs to be enforced strictly, especially since I think every team in Brownwood's SQT has played in at least one tournament I'd give them maybe one warning and start flagging them.

One thing that I learned after the Snyder SQT was that players in motion can't be in the box when the ball is snapped either...

Obviously if the team is on the 45 you can't move em back further so a penalty for illegal formation would be a loss of down.

BwdLion_80
06-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks!

I am looking forward to the tourney this weekend.