PDA

View Full Version : All District Slection Process (Baseball)

hookandladder
06-24-2010, 07:02 AM
What is your take and how is your 1st and 2nd teams picked. I feel coaches need to pick the best player at each position and then award the MVP awards( Offensive,Defensive and Overall) to the most deserving players, if that means some players receiving mutiple awards so be it. Also, this is not a mommy or daddy complaining about his kid being left out, All District selection seems to me more like an Little League All Star team. Let's make sure everyone get something. Fire away.

maestro
06-24-2010, 07:20 AM
in the meetings that i've sat in, its coaches bowing to the pressures of parents and school officials to award more kids for awards.

that, and honestly, many coaches do not break ties. if a tie or three way tie, just write down all three.

it falls upon the head coaches of each sport. what they honestly want in an all district team.

i always admired the AP college hoops and football squads. the AP MEDIA voted only 5 hoopsters and 22 footballers.

it's so compeitive that many high school districts have placed all district formats in their district minutes. a how to if you wish.

i've met more head coaches that want to award more than want to award less.

hookandladder
06-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Just seems to watered down for me, take our District for example our 3 best pitchers did not make 1st team pitchers because of the MVP awards. What does it really mean to be All District 1st team when you were really not the best at that position.

GreenMonster
06-24-2010, 10:32 AM
We take the MVP Awards first because we feel it is the right way to do it. We also do have a rule in our district minutes that prevents those MVP selections from recieving 1st team consideration. You say that it waters down the all-district teams. I say it allows the lesser teams in district to have their best players recognized. I like it this way. As a teacher/coach I am in this business first and foremost for the the kids. We honor the best of the best with the highest honors and then fill in the rest. Just because a kid isn't one of the top 3 players in district doesn't mean he wasn't the best player on his team or undeserving of district recognition. If indeed we do have a tie we do not vote it off in all instances. Not because we are watering down the all-district team but rather because when we voted as a group we couldn't decide so why split hairs honor them all. That's the way the vote came out so that's the way it should stay. I have never been pressured by any parent or administrator to get a certain kid on the all-district team and in order to prevent that from being a problem we do not vote for our own kid. I do not go into these meetings with an agenda and I vote my conscience. I don't worry about stats either, I don't even bother to bring any with me, instead I vote off of what kind of impression did that kid make on me when we played them head to head. I know what kids from which teams were the most impressive to me and those are the kids I vote for. A kid may have had a bad night at the plate against me as far as the official book goes but he may have had solid at bats or hit the ball hard right at someone but still been amazing in the field. I still vote for the kid. It's very subjective and far from being a perfect process, but I don't have any problem sleeping at night knowing how I voted at the all-district meeting.

hookandladder
06-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
We take the MVP Awards first because we feel it is the right way to do it. We also do have a rule in our district minutes that prevents those MVP selections from recieving 1st team consideration. You say that it waters down the all-district teams. I say it allows the lesser teams in district to have their best players recognized. I like it this way. As a teacher/coach I am in this business first and foremost for the the kids. We honor the best of the best with the highest honors and then fill in the rest. Just because a kid isn't one of the top 3 players in district doesn't mean he wasn't the best player on his team or undeserving of district recognition. If indeed we do have a tie we do not vote it off in all instances. Not because we are watering down the all-district team but rather because when we voted as a group we couldn't decide so why split hairs honor them all. That's the way the vote came out so that's the way it should stay. I have never been pressured by any parent or administrator to get a certain kid on the all-district team and in order to prevent that from being a problem we do not vote for our own kid. I do not go into these meetings with an agenda and I vote my conscience. I don't worry about stats either, I don't even bother to bring any with me, instead I vote off of what kind of impression did that kid make on me when we played them head to head. I know what kids from which teams were the most impressive to me and those are the kids I vote for. A kid may have had a bad night at the plate against me as far as the official book goes but he may have had solid at bats or hit the ball hard right at someone but still been amazing in the field. I still vote for the kid. It's very subjective and far from being a perfect process, but I don't have any problem sleeping at night knowing how I voted at the all-district meeting.

Good points.I guess I am old school, I just know when I played years ago you only honored the best at each position and the rest had to work harder if they wanted some recognition.

Old Tiger
06-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Coach 1: I'll nominate your player A for first team and player B for second team if you nominate my player B for first team and my player A for second team.

Coach 2: Okay sounds good.

Coach 3: What about my son? I have to get him on here

Coach 2: Yeah we will nominate him don't worry

Coach 1: Sure

Old Dog
06-24-2010, 11:03 AM
The MVP goes to a kid that happens to be a QB. Then you look down the list and the 1st team QB is some other kid. NOOOOOOOOOOO, that ain't right. Getting like little league; everybody gets an award. Life does not work that way, hence this should not either................

BaseballUmp
06-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Coach 1: I'll nominate your player A for first team and player B for second team if you nominate my player B for first team and my player A for second team.

Coach 2: Okay sounds good.

Coach 3: What about my son? I have to get him on here

Coach 2: Yeah we will nominate him don't worry

Coach 1: Sure

Thats how I heard they do it in the Rock...

allforball
06-24-2010, 12:49 PM
1st Team All District Pitcher when your team goes 1-9 in District. Doesn't seem right.

XMan
06-24-2010, 02:13 PM
In this years district of Giddings, Bellville, Sealy, Columbus, Smithville, and LaGrange, they picked about twice as many all dist. baseballers as needed and in softball they picked about 4 times as many as necessary. They might as well just give everyone 1st team and save their time. In baseball they gave Mvp, offensive mvp, defensive mvp. Give me a break. Pick 2 pitchers, 1 for each infield position, 4 outfielders and maybe a utility man. In softball it was just ridiculous how many they picked.

hookandladder
06-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by XMan
In this years district of Giddings, Bellville, Sealy, Columbus, Smithville, and LaGrange, they picked about twice as many all dist. baseballers as needed and in softball they picked about 4 times as many as necessary. They might as well just give everyone 1st team and save their time. In baseball they gave Mvp, offensive mvp, defensive mvp. Give me a break. Pick 2 pitchers, 1 for each infield position, 4 outfielders and maybe a utility man. In softball it was just ridiculous how many they picked.

It is ridiculous, I think we had 11 players make some kind of honor. We had one player play the same position all year and made Utility Player, go figure.

BaseballUmp
06-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Yea, as a senior i pitched maybe 3 or 4 games but still ended up getting all district pitcher lol...

maestro
06-25-2010, 08:02 AM
one year we discovered that if a girl was a starter on her own team then she made first team.

and in some cases, the coaches selected more first teamers than available starters...hahahahahaha

but hey, orton was a backup and got drafted last night.

PutMeInCoach
06-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by XMan

This district has it setup where they are NOT to break ties. This is why it's watered down. Until the AD's actually listen to the coaches and get this changed in the minutes, it will continue this way.

Coaches could probably do this on their own at the meeting, but that is if they are all in agreement and I would guess that last 2 teams finishing in district wouldn't want this. JMO

allforball
06-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by PutMeInCoach
This district has it setup where they are NOT to break ties. This is why it's watered down. Until the AD's actually listen to the coaches and get this changed in the minutes, it will continue this way.

Coaches could probably do this on their own at the meeting, but that is if they are all in agreement and I would guess that last 2 teams finishing in district wouldn't want this. JMO
I have a hard time understanding why coaches would even nominate their players for 1st Team in these situations. Only put players up there that are truly worthy of 1st Team honors. I've seen players on 1st Team that didn't even start every game in District or as stated earlier, a pitcher that may have won one game in District. It does reflect back on the coaches, they put the players up there to be voted on. I believe the local Honorable Mention was set up for Coaches to honor their players that were not 1st & 2nd Team caliber for that District season. Just because you were the best player on your team does not qualify you to be a 1st Teamer, unless you proved it in District Play. JMO

PutMeInCoach
06-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by allforball
I have a hard time understanding why coaches would even nominate their players for 1st Team in these situations. Only put players up there that are truly worthy of 1st Team honors. I've seen players on 1st Team that didn't even start every game in District or as stated earlier, a pitcher that may have won one game in District. It does reflect back on the coaches, they put the players up there to be voted on. I believe the local Honorable Mention was set up for Coaches to honor their players that were not 1st & 2nd Team caliber for that District season. Just because you were the best player on your team does not qualify you to be a 1st Teamer, unless you proved it in District Play. JMO

I agree with you. Coaches shouldn't nominate players if they aren't worthy. This is why this district is so watered down.

hookandladder
06-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Look at the American Statesman today, Trey Masek was Centex Player of the year and also 1st team Pitcher. That is the way it should be, if worthy of both awards then he should receive both. I just feel 1st team and 2nd team awards should be awarded to the best players at their position not because of one is receiving an MVP award, it just takes the honor out of it. If you want to recognize players that did not make 1st or 2nd team, make them honorable mention.