PDA

View Full Version : College Baseball Question

eagles_victory
06-23-2010, 10:25 PM
I didn't want to pee on the original thread by asking this question and I know it is extremly tired but I honestly believe they have got to go to wooden bats very soon at the college level what does everyone else think?

XMan
06-23-2010, 10:45 PM
I would like to see them go to 20 scholarships instead of the present 11.7.

eagles_victory
06-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by XMan
I would like to see them go to 20 scholarships instead of the present 11.7. I would too actually but I don't see that happening.

BaseballUmp
06-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Why do you think they should go to wood bats? Metal bats only give you about 5mph more off the bat(via sports science) but i think what keeps them from going woody is the fact that a hundred dollar bat lasting maybe 5-10 games would cost more than a metal bat lasting practically the entire season...replacing bats every 2 weeks versus a bat that will last the entire season. All about saving money....

This is the basic story I got about it.

Personally I say let them use whatever they want

eagles_victory
06-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Why do you think they should go to wood bats? Metal bats only give you about 5mph more off the bat(via sports science) but i think what keeps them from going woody is the fact that a hundred dollar bat lasting maybe 5-10 games would cost more than a metal bat lasting practically the entire season...replacing bats every 2 weeks versus a bat that will last the entire season. All about saving money....

This is the basic story I got about it.

Personally I say let them use whatever they want I will just never be able to get into the game with aluminum bats too many teams scoring in double digits on a consistent basis for me.

XMan
06-23-2010, 11:18 PM
What keeps them from going wood is the lobbying from the aluminum bat manufacturers. Each aluminum bat now costs upwards of 300 dollars. They are making a ton of money off of each bat they sell. Anyone that thinks the aluminum bat only hits a little further than a wood bat has never played with both. It is a totally different game with wood.

squid
06-24-2010, 05:37 AM
I love the college game, partly because of the aluminum bats. I hope they never change.

Matthew328
06-24-2010, 09:26 AM
The games are high scoring because generally the pitching isn't as good combined w/the fact that aluminum bats do give a little extra edge to the hitters...mainly because of the larger sweet spot

eagles_victory
06-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
The games are high scoring because generally the pitching isn't as good combined w/the fact that aluminum bats do give a little extra edge to the hitters...mainly because of the larger sweet spot Its more than a little edge. It seems like everything is a line shot.