PDA

View Full Version : So, Just How Does the Flip Work?

Leopard213
11-24-2003, 11:09 PM
Would somebody please explain how the coaches get together and decide the when, where, what time, etc. of playoff games? frown

sinton66
11-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Basically, if a neutral site can't be agreed upon, the flip happens. The winner of the flip usually decides the rest.

<small>[ November 24, 2003, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

J-town Hustler
11-24-2003, 11:11 PM
They also have to agree on who will referee the game.

Leopard213
11-24-2003, 11:13 PM
Do they flip once or many times for each thing such as where, home, time, etc.?

kaorder1999
the flip is for location...date/time....home/visitors....refs

kaorder1999
usually once

bleedmaroon
As I understand it, all details must be agreed upon before the flip. It's not flip the coin, and then the winner decides everything. Everything is decided first for each possibility, then the coin is flipped.

Leopard213
11-24-2003, 11:15 PM
kaorder199 check pm

BurnetBandRules
11-24-2003, 11:31 PM
What if the team that you are playing in a round of play-offs is a team that you played last year and you won the flip then? Do you still get a choice of LOC. or is it automatically their choice for rights of fairness?

Specklebelly
11-24-2003, 11:39 PM
This is the 1st two-year realignment period where the UIL has done this. When you play a team two straight years, the team who lost the flip the first year automatically gets the stadium choice the second year. That is why Wharton chose the stadium last week and Sinton gets the choice this week. Then when they reorganize the districts in February, it all gets thrown out the window and another two-year period starts over.

29x281
11-24-2003, 11:42 PM
no

Haunta Yo
11-24-2003, 11:50 PM
Specklebelly:
This is the 1st two-year realignment period where the UIL has done this. When you play a team two straight years, the team who lost the flip the first year automatically gets the stadium choice the second year. That is why Wharton chose the stadium last week and Sinton gets the choice this week. Then when they reorganize the districts in February, it all gets thrown out the window and another two-year period starts over.I think it's a 5 year period on home and home. So if Burnet plays Sinton wihin the next 5 years, it's off to Waco. If Burnet goes 4a, Sinton probably got away with one.

LH Panther Mom
11-25-2003, 06:45 AM
Specklebelly:
This is the 1st two-year realignment period where the UIL has done this. When you play a team two straight years, the team who lost the flip the first year automatically gets the stadium choice the second year. That is why Wharton chose the stadium last week and Sinton gets the choice this week. Then when they reorganize the districts in February, it all gets thrown out the window and another two-year period starts over.That sounds about right, but how about home team? We played Yoakum last year, in Seguin, they were home team. We played Yoakum this year, at Hays CISD (I'm guessing our turn to pick the field), and they were still home team. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things; j/w because I presumed we would be home team this year. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/fragend/confused-smiley-017.gif

3afan
11-25-2003, 07:46 AM
Specklebelly:
This is the 1st two-year realignment period where the UIL has done this. When you play a team two straight years, the team who lost the flip the first year automatically gets the stadium choice the second year. That is why Wharton chose the stadium last week and Sinton gets the choice this week. Then when they reorganize the districts in February, it all gets thrown out the window and another two-year period starts over.i dont believe thats right ..........

Frank_Bama
11-25-2003, 07:50 AM
Leopard213:
Do they flip once or many times for each thing such as where, home, time, etc.?They can flip once for a package deal, or they can flip for site, flip for Friday/Saturday, flip for time, flip for who is home and visitor. If the coaches really dont get along they can flip for every thing they dont agree on.

bleedmaroon
11-25-2003, 08:06 AM
UIL Rules (http://www.uil.utexas.edu/ath/rules/1250.html)

Pudlugger
11-25-2003, 08:17 AM
Playoff Games. Unless mutually agreeable otherwise, the place for playing a playoff game shall be determined on a "home and home" basis for the past two football seasons (2001, 2002). The team that was the visiting team the last time the two teams met on a home field in a post-district playoff game may require the game be played at its home field. In case of disagreement between two teams who have not played a post-district playoff game during the past two football seasons, the game site shall be decided by a coin toss.
Home Sites. When two schools flip for two separate sites other than their home field, the sites are considered home sites unless both sites are near mid-point.

From this it would appear La Grange is home this year and the coin toss won by La Grange gives them the date and time choice. Coach V should elect to play in La Grange. That would serve Malone right for being so difficult. Go Leps !!!See you at Leopard Stadium Friday afternoon!!!! :D

LH Panther Mom
11-25-2003, 08:39 AM
So, Pud, when did they finally flip? Or were you basing on prior meeting flip? Dang, what a mess for both teams.

crabman
11-25-2003, 08:51 AM
One story I have heard from several coaches about flips relates to whenever the two coaches are really far apart geographically or just don't want to drive to flip a coin. There is a book that the state puts out that has all of the coaches and their addresses listed in it. Both guys get on the phone. One guy picks odd or even, in effect, "calling it". The other guy picks a page number from the book, at random. The zip code from the first address on the page selected determines odd or even. Theoretically, it is 50-50. I thought it was interesting.

Pudlugger
11-25-2003, 09:00 AM
I heard from a reliable source that the two coaches met to flip for day and time. The coin was flipped and La Grange won, Coach V said Friday at 2PM. Coach V then wanted to set the place as home team (see UIL rules above). Coach Malone walked out of the meeting. According to the UIL rules:

Playoff Games. Unless mutually agreeable otherwise, the place for playing a playoff game shall be determined on a "home and home" basis for the past two football seasons (2001, 2002). The team that was the visiting team the last time the two teams met on a home field in a post-district playoff game may require the game be played at its home field. In case of disagreement between two teams who have not played a post-district playoff game during the past two football seasons, the game site shall be decided by a coin toss.
Home Sites. When two schools flip for two separate sites other than their home field, the sites are considered home sites unless both sites are near mid-point.

So it is the perogative of La Grange to choose its home field even if that means they want to play in Leopard stadium.

LH Panther Mom
11-25-2003, 09:19 AM
I hope it's settled soon, for everyone's sake. I read in the paper that all would be decided by Thursday. I'm just glad that we don't have to go thru this. Regardless of where the game is played, I hope the Leps recover from the flu & injuries and come out on top.

Leopard213
11-25-2003, 09:25 AM
If we play in La Grange at 2, i'll bring the breakfast tacos for someone that will get in line early for a seat.

Pudlugger
11-25-2003, 09:27 AM
Leopard213:
If we play in La Grange at 2, i'll bring the breakfast tacos for someone that will get in line early for a seat.Great!!! I'll be there.