PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rangers

eagleqb_14
06-23-2010, 12:18 PM
can you beleve it they are 17-4 this month. they are on a nine game winning streak. josh is doin great. he is batting .491 this month

poisoned10
06-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by eagleqb_14
can you beleve it they are 17-4 this month. they are on a nine game winning streak. josh is doin great. he is batting .491 this month

Don't jinx them.

waterboy
06-23-2010, 03:03 PM
While I enjoy seeing the Rangers win, I don't get too excited in June. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to continue winning after the all-star break, but.........we shall see. The Rangers just need to keep on keepin' on ALL the way through the rest of the season, but I won't be getting too excited until they have a big lead in their division in mid-September. I'm definitely enjoying watching them play, though.:cool: :clap:

Farmersfan
06-23-2010, 03:17 PM
They have had great months before and then proceeded to follow it up with horrible months. It's fun while it lasts but there IS a reason they don't make the post season very often!
Besides, look at the teams they are beating up on this past month.

poisoned10
06-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
They have had great months before and then proceeded to follow it up with horrible months. It's fun while it lasts but there IS a reason they don't make the post season very often!

It beats having to play in the East and all of those teams all of the time.

All you have to do is make the playoffs, and from there, anything can happen.

waterboy
06-23-2010, 03:29 PM
This is true. The teams they have been beating for the last 2 to 3 weeks are all below .500 teams. If the Rangers can beat these type of teams consistently, AND can play better than .500 against the above .500 teams, then I will start getting excited. I'm excited now, but it's more of a subdued type of excitement. Wait until they start playing divisional teams and the East. If they can show that they can beat those teams at a .500 clip or better the rest of way through the season, look out.

eagles_victory
06-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Spanking the Pirates again tonight... I don't care if your playing the Bad News Bears if you are winning 10 in a row your creating sepeartion in your divison and that's what it is all about.

Off subject but talk about someone else who is facing some easier competition what about the Nationals seems like everytime Strasburg pitches it is a punching judy lineup. With that being said that guy is amazing.

GrTigers6
06-24-2010, 06:45 AM
One thing I noticed is that they worked over two of the best pitchers in the league, back to back, when they played the Marlins. However I am waiting on a 20-9 or better July, August, And September before I let myself get to excited. Enjoying it for now though.

Farmersfan
06-24-2010, 08:03 AM
10 in a row now! 13-3 win last night was pretty impressive considering their hottest hitter was scratched for the game. The encouraging thing for me is that they are doing a lot of the little things that a winning team does regularly. They steal bases! They bunt well! They get timely hits with RISP! It seem most of them are all getting hot at the same time. Hopefully they don't all go cold at the same time also.

The Rangers have 17 games against the Angels left to play this season. They have gone 17-4(?) this month and only have a 3 game lead on the second place team. That concerns me a little. LA has been pretty hot also with a recent sweep of the Dodgers....

And lost in all this hoopla is the play of Matt Treanor! Boy, was that guy a steal for the Rangers or what? He's not hitting for a real high average but he seems to get it done when he has to. I really like him as a catcher for the Rangers.

bwdlionfan
06-24-2010, 08:22 AM
I was at the game last night, great win for the Rangers.

They now have the 2nd best record in all of MLB behind the Yankees. Has Texas EVER been above 600 this late in the season though? I heard on TV on Sunday that they were at their 2nd best record all time through that many games(only 1 game back of the best in 1996). Now they've won 3 straight since that game, so I'm assuming this may be their best record at this point in the season ever. It is scary that even then, they only have a 3 game lead.

wildstangs
06-24-2010, 08:23 AM
We are going tomorrow night to watch them play Houston. Hope the bats stay alive for the Rangers.

Farmersfan
06-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I was at the game last night, great win for the Rangers.

They now have the 2nd best record in all of MLB behind the Yankees. Has Texas EVER been above 600 this late in the season though? I heard on TV on Sunday that they were at their 2nd best record all time through that many games(only 1 game back of the best in 1996). Now they've won 3 straight since that game, so I'm assuming this may be their best record at this point in the season ever. It is scary that even then, they only have a 3 game lead.

This is only the second time in franchise history that the Rangers have had a 10 game win streak. They showed last night on the TV that Nolen Ryan predicted 97 wins for this team this year and they are above that pace. Could it REALLY continue?????

On another note, am I the only one that feels a little embarrassed for the organization when they interview Ron Washington on TV????

crzyjournalist03
06-24-2010, 09:06 AM
The positive thing about the current lead in the division is that the Rangers have games in hand over the Angels at this point...they're five ahead of the Angels in the loss column.

They really should have gained another game last night, but the Dodgers had one of the most unbelievably bone-headed 9th innings that I've ever seen on any level (little league included) to end up blowing their chance to take that game.

Macarthur
06-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
While I enjoy seeing the Rangers win, I don't get too excited in June. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to continue winning after the all-star break, but.........we shall see. The Rangers just need to keep on keepin' on ALL the way through the rest of the season, but I won't be getting too excited until they have a big lead in their division in mid-September. I'm definitely enjoying watching them play, though.:cool: :clap:

+1

I'm a long time Rangers fan so I've seen lots of good first halfs to only see them melt down the stretch.

Having said that, there is something very different about this team than those of the past. This team is mentally tough. They are confident and I'm talking mostly about their pitching staff.

This pitching staff is for real. It really is amazing the job that Maddux and Nolan have done with this staff. Throw in how the guys like Wash and want to play for him, and I think we're looking at the best team in the division. I truly believe they are better than the Angels.

Now, how would this team look if you put Cliff Lee at the front of the rotation? Wow. I'm telling you right now if this team could find a way to add Lee, I like their chances against anyone in a series, Yankess included!

I would go to war with Lee, CJ & Lewis in a series.

Macarthur
06-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
The positive thing about the current lead in the division is that the Rangers have games in hand over the Angels at this point...they're five ahead of the Angels in the loss column.

They really should have gained another game last night, but the Dodgers had one of the most unbelievably bone-headed 9th innings that I've ever seen on any level (little league included) to end up blowing their chance to take that game.

True, but I think they have something like 17 more games left with LAA so there's still tons of time left.

But as I said in my other post, I flat out think they are a better team than the Angels. I think the Rangers are the best team in the west and generally the best team wins over 162 games.

bwdlionfan
06-24-2010, 01:08 PM

On another note, am I the only one that feels a little embarrassed for the organization when they interview Ron Washington on TV????

No you're not the only one.

What about when he argues calls that he really shouldn't be arguing. I can't remember the specifics, but there was a Ranger who was called out (and was clearly out) a few weeks ago (I think on his way to 1st or 2nd) and Washington got tossed for arguing. Even the announcers who are huge Ranger homers were wondering why he was arguing. Anyway, just the way Washington bangs his head while arguing is pretty funny to watch (looks like a teenager at a heavy metal concert), but embarrassing a little at the same time.

Buckeye1980
06-24-2010, 03:56 PM
What I like about this team is they are winning with good picthing along with TIMELY hitting. Usually when the Rangers have won , the hitting was the reason. Also the fact is they are doing what good tems do, beating the teams they be beating and even with the quality teams . This team has a quality about it not seen in Arlington in a LONG time.

As for Wash, I did not see the arguement you talked about but sometimes a manager will sacrifice being thrown out of a game to change the momentum. I have been an umpire when coach came out to argue and tell me the call was right but "something " needs to change the momentum. Alot can and has been said about Wash, but from what I can see is this team will play hard for him and that cann always be said

Farmersfan
06-25-2010, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
What I like about this team is they are winning with good picthing along with TIMELY hitting. Usually when the Rangers have won , the hitting was the reason. Also the fact is they are doing what good tems do, beating the teams they be beating and even with the quality teams . This team has a quality about it not seen in Arlington in a LONG time.

As for Wash, I did not see the arguement you talked about but sometimes a manager will sacrifice being thrown out of a game to change the momentum. I have been an umpire when coach came out to argue and tell me the call was right but "something " needs to change the momentum. Alot can and has been said about Wash, but from what I can see is this team will play hard for him and that cann always be said

It seems to me that Wash doesn't argue calls because he disagrees with them but because he THINKS he is suppose to. If one of his players starts to argue he will jump out in front of them and argue away like he is the most angry person in the world but if the player hadn't started argueing he would have never left the dugout. (at least that's how it appears). He certainly has a way of getting the players to play for him and nobody doubts his baseball knowledge but I just don't think he is professional enough to be your franchises front man. I know I will get nailed for this but a manager speaking in Ebonics is no different than if Larry the Cable guy or Gomer Pyle was your manager.
It could be worst thought! We could have Ozzie Guillen!!!
"Git ur done"!!!!!:eek:

Macarthur
06-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Well, you can't deny that the team plays hard for him so he's doing something right in that respect.

However, some of the things that drive me nuts about Wash:

- He's gotten better but still has lapses with regards to managing his pitching staff. It's hasn't reared its head lately because the starters have been so good but late in the season and if they make the playoffs, those things are really important.

- BUNTING Could someone tell Wash it's not 1982 anymore! Stop bunting in the freaking 5th inning. He said yesterday with Norm that Kinsler bunted on his own the other night in the 2nd Inning! Why the hell is Kinsler bunting in the 2nd INNING!? He jsut shrugged it off as Kinsler being unselfish, but that's backwards thinking, IMO. I would have made Kinsler know very quickly that was the wrong thing to do. In the AL, you do not give away outs. Period. Unless it's the 8th or 9th and you need one run, hit away. Unbelievable.

eagles_victory
06-25-2010, 11:44 AM
We could have Ozzie Guillen!!!
Man what do you have against managers on long win streaks?

Farmersfan
06-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Well, you can't deny that the team plays hard for him so he's doing something right in that respect.

However, some of the things that drive me nuts about Wash:

- He's gotten better but still has lapses with regards to managing his pitching staff. It's hasn't reared its head lately because the starters have been so good but late in the season and if they make the playoffs, those things are really important.

- BUNTING Could someone tell Wash it's not 1982 anymore! Stop bunting in the freaking 5th inning. He said yesterday with Norm that Kinsler bunted on his own the other night in the 2nd Inning! Why the hell is Kinsler bunting in the 2nd INNING!? He jsut shrugged it off as Kinsler being unselfish, but that's backwards thinking, IMO. I would have made Kinsler know very quickly that was the wrong thing to do. In the AL, you do not give away outs. Period. Unless it's the 8th or 9th and you need one run, hit away. Unbelievable.

I don't pretend to know a lot about baseball but a bunt at a unexpected time appears to me to be a very effective way of getting on base. A sacrifice bunt in the second inning seems a little strange but if you are bunting for a base hit it seems a smart move to me. Even the worst player in the league should be able to get a bunt down. With the infield playing deep a bunt is pretty reliable! Or did I miss something?

crzyjournalist03
06-25-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't pretend to know a lot about baseball but a bunt at a unexpected time appears to me to be a very effective way of getting on base. A sacrifice bunt in the second inning seems a little strange but if you are bunting for a base hit it seems a smart move to me. Even the worst player in the league should be able to get a bunt down. With the infield playing deep a bunt is pretty reliable! Or did I miss something?

Heck, I wish that more All-star players would bunt when teams put an overshift on them...they're basically giving you a single if you can put the ball down anywhere between the pitcher's mound and the left fielder.

If the best hitter in baseball hits about .360, I'm certain that the odds of getting a bunt down when the other team gives it to you like that have to be higher than a 36% rate.

Farmersfan
06-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Heck, I wish that more All-star players would bunt when teams put an overshift on them...they're basically giving you a single if you can put the ball down anywhere between the pitcher's mound and the left fielder.

If the best hitter in baseball hits about .360, I'm certain that the odds of getting a bunt down when the other team gives it to you like that have to be higher than a 36% rate.

Kind of what I was thinking.......

waterboy
06-25-2010, 02:07 PM

Not everybody is a fast enough runner to beat out a bunt, but the Rangers have several who are. I don't have a problem with some of the players bunting if the infield is playing deep, so long as the player bunting gets it down and has enough speed to get on base the majority of the time. Situational bunting is one of those parts of "execution" that the good teams are very good at.

Macarthur
06-25-2010, 02:42 PM

As waterboy said, there are times when a speedy player is smart to put down a bunt for a base hit.

However, a sac bunt and trying to bunt for a base hit are very different.

My point was a guy like Kinsler, who is a good major league hitter, should never 'give himself up' in the 2nd inning. If it's the eight and you are tied or up/down a run, that's a different story, but you just don't need to give away outs. There's only 27 a game.

waterboy
06-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
As waterboy said, there are times when a speedy player is smart to put down a bunt for a base hit.

However, a sac bunt and trying to bunt for a base hit are very different.

My point was a guy like Kinsler, who is a good major league hitter, should never 'give himself up' in the 2nd inning. If it's the eight and you are tied or up/down a run, that's a different story, but you just don't need to give away outs. There's only 27 a game.
If he's trying to get a runner moved over from second base to third with no outs, I don't have a problem at all with a sacrifice bunt. Ian Kinsler is fast enough to get a base hit out of a bunt if the infield is playing back most of the time. I don't think he was intentionally giving himself up last night. I think he was actually trying for a bunt single, but layed down a poor bunt.....which will happen sometimes. He did that on his own, too. It wasn't a management decision. The point is......the Rangers are winning, and I don't care how they get it done.;)

coach
06-25-2010, 03:23 PM
this just shows you how ignorant ppl are,...yall are arguing that he shouldnt bubt and argue calls...he has won 11 straight and has the second best record in the entire league

Txbroadcaster
06-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by coach
this just shows you how ignorant ppl are,...yall are arguing that he shouldnt bubt and argue calls...he has won 11 straight and has the second best record in the entire league

That does not mean bad decisions have not been made

I like RW because the players play their butt off for him, I dont like his in game moves simple as that. But as long as they play hard for him it is all good

coach
06-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
That does not mean bad decisions have not been made

I like RW because the players play their butt off for him, I dont like his in game moves simple as that. But as long as they play hard for him it is all good

o dont get me wrong i think all coaches make bad decsions but for ppl to act like he sucks...

crzyjournalist03
06-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by coach
o dont get me wrong i think all coaches make bad decsions but for ppl to act like he sucks...

one of the best motivators in the game; one of the worst strategists.

Macarthur
06-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Well, coach, don't we have to use some sort of judgement when evaluating someone's job?

What do you suggest we do? Why are we ignorant?

Look, I'm as excited as anyone that they've won 11, but let's not lose sight of the fact that they still have a losing record against above .500 teams. And while his decisions have not factored into the games, when you play good teams and it gets closer to the end of the year, those decisions will matter.

And frankly, if we are matched against the Yankees, Red Sox, Twins or Angels and it's a close game, we are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to the managers matching wits. And if you don't realize that, you're not paying attention.

Again, I don't want to throw cold water on this thing, but we also can't lose site of the fact that this is a long season and there's tons of baseball left to play.

eagles_victory
06-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Not everybody is a fast enough runner to beat out a bunt, but the Rangers have several who are. I don't have a problem with some of the players bunting if the infield is playing deep, so long as the player bunting gets it down and has enough speed to get on base the majority of the time. Situational bunting is one of those parts of "execution" that the good teams are very good at. If the defense is overshifting on you pretty much anybody in the majors can beat out a bunt if it is put to the left side of the infield. Big Papi has even been known to beat out bunts doing that and their can't be too many guys in the league slower than him not named Molina.

coach
06-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
If the defense is overshifting on you pretty much anybody in the majors can beat out a bunt if it is put to the left side of the infield. Big Papi has even been known to beat out bunts doing that and their can't be too many guys in the league slower than him not named Molina.

a la BBTN.. "Let's play a game called Name that Molina"

Maroon87
06-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Rangers streak is over...Astros win 7-4.

eagles_victory
06-26-2010, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Rangers streak is over...Astros win 7-4. Enjoy the lone highlight of your season Astros fans.

Maroon87
06-26-2010, 01:24 AM
Enjoy the lone highlight of your season Astros fans.

OK.

JasperDog94
06-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Enjoy the lone highlight of your season Astros fans. We will.:D

wildstangs
06-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Anyone see the Hispanic guy in a sombrero dancing last night in the middle of the ninth inning? Apparently I was on TV with him. And I did make it home with the sombrero haha.

eagles_victory
06-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
We will.:D One win away from our 4th straight boot.

SintonFan_inAustin
06-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
Don't jinx them. every year i put their logo on my signature, this year i havent and wont, dont want to jinx them :)

coach
06-27-2010, 08:20 PM
we are about to find out how good they really are with back to back series with LA and the 2nd hottest team in baseball