PDA

View Full Version : THSBCA all stars/hou. chron

XMan
06-21-2010, 07:54 AM
I attempted to read about the THSBCA all star games in the Houston Chronicle this morning. Futile attempt. The major newspapers do not even cover these games. I was able to find a nice article on recruiting of Texas high school footballers though. Again, baseball is held down, this time it is the mass media that is doing it. Sadly, there were many student athletes that participated and dont get any mention even in their hometowns. For those not in the know, the Texas high school baseball coaches assn holds their own all star games. (1 for 1a-3a and 1 for 4a/5a) The thsca only holds football/basketball so the assn created these games to recognize top hs athletes in baseball. The games are played annually at Dell Diamond in Round Rock.

3afan
06-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by XMan
... baseball is held down, this time it is the mass media that is doing it. ...

:rolleyes:

Buffgal
06-21-2010, 08:33 AM
All-Star Game MVP Dylan Boss, Boerne

THSBCA 1A-3A Player of the Year - Trey Masek, Giddings

THSBCA All State from Giddings

Trey Masek-Pitcher
Rush Plumlee-Catcher
Ty Marlow-Short Stop
Brooks Marlow-Second Base

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Farmersfan
06-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Again, baseball is held down, this time it is the mass media that is doing it.

A little bit of a naive outlook XMan! The mass media will cover whatever they need to cover to sell their product. IF they decide to not cover this event then it is because people in general could not really care less!!!! They devote time and effort to those things that make money for them.
It certainly isn't a mass conspiracy to "hold down" baseball!! :rolleyes:

maestro
06-21-2010, 10:23 AM
many times an organization will have its board of directors send the info to the media. was this done?

chronicle has covered it in the past.

maybe moving it to the austin area has something to do with it.

when the cougars and owls fields were used the chronicle covered it.

again, i'd check with the thsbca directors.

Blackcat1954
06-21-2010, 01:25 PM
I know there is a Bay City player on the team

The all-star games will take place on Tuesday and Wednesday at Reckling Park. The Class 4A game is at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, followed by the Class 5A Northeast-Southwest game at 7:30 p.m. The Class 5A Northwest-Southeast game is at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday followed by the Junior all-star game at 7:30 p.m.

XMan
06-21-2010, 02:31 PM
The games in Houston are the Houston area baseball coaches assn games. The games played at Dell this past weekend were the state assn games. The Chron makes a BIG deal out of the THSCA football and basketball games in July but no mention at all of the baseball games.

Blackcat1954
06-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Wish I could get out of the office to go cover the game but we put out Wed paper on Tuesday so can't make it.

I bet it will be close to 100 degrees when they play. I'll have a stringer reporter there to get details for Sunday's paper.

XMan
06-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Class 1A-2A-3A North All Star Team 2010
PITCHER:
Name Last High School
Colton Bickerstaff Mineola
Thomas Weber Gatesville
Aidan Rivera Estacado
Hunter Perry Bosqueville

CATCHER:
Jake Sizelove Argyle
Zack Patino Brock

FIRST BASE:
Michael Welch Bushland
Wesley Roberson Kennedale

SECOND BASE:
Donovan Vess Lake Worth
Dustin Neff Sonora

SHORTSTOP:
Chris Bearden Whitewright
Michael Gilley Pleasant Grove

THIRD BASE:
Colton Rathmell Grape Creek
Patrick Dayton Archer City

OUTFIELD:
Daniel Brewer Hawley
Chris Sadberry Holliday
Evan Burton Forsan
Richard Smoak Iowa Park
Matt Hall Hamlin
Kent Miller Crawford

North All Star Coaches:
Joel Kuehl Bosqueville
Jay Johnson Palmer
James Evans Celina

Class 1A-2A-3A South All Star Team 2010
PITCHER:
First Last High School
Carl Huizar Bishop
Matt Walker Robinson
Dylan Boss Boerne
Trey Masek Giddings

CATCHER:
Jacob Felts Orangefield
Jackson Mc Curdy White Oak

FIRST BASE:
Kyle Mueller Bellville
Kory Wilkinson Wolfe City

SECOND BASE:
Zach Mikulenka Flatonia
Cody Coleman New Waverly

SHORTSTOP:
Matt Hicks Bridge City
Shane Segovia Sinton

THIRD BASE:
Marty Bigham Schulenburg
Brock Otto Fayetteville

OUTFIELD:
Jordan Stefek Taylor
Telvin Darden Overton
Clay Hardee Centerville
Jonathan Eiman Franklin
At Large:
Zack Matthys Mart
Will Pace Comfort

South All Star Coaches
Darryl Joyner Lovelady
Melvin Bates Salado
Jim Goldman Carthage

These were the rosters for the 1a-3a game which was played Fri. I believe. Congrats to all those that were selected.

XMan
06-21-2010, 03:52 PM
The THSBCA all star game was never at the cougar or Cameron field. It was held at the Astrodome years ago though. I dont think its the responsibility of the organization to have to beg people to cover it. The fact is that the Comical doesnt want to hire more than 1 high school reporter. They claim that there is no interest so they just dont mention it at all. For football they have a big preview to the game along with the rosters and info on local players in the game. They also have a top 100 recuits list that is in the paper about 100 times during the year. You can hardly even get info on the players from the Houston area that were taken in the major league draft.

Txbroadcaster
06-21-2010, 03:58 PM
\ I dont think its the responsibility of the organization to have to beg people to cover it.

The WHOSE is it? Is the press just supposed to KNOW without information being sent to them?

maestro
06-21-2010, 04:01 PM
It was held at the Astrodome years ago

you're correct, my mistake.

also, early years just one game. then it was expanded.

i've heard many good things about thsbca's combine. great for local( houston area) players.

Blackcat1954
06-21-2010, 04:13 PM
I used to go when Wharton players were on the team and I worked at the Wharton Journal-Spectator

Forgot the exact years since I started at the Journal in 1985 and I was there 24 years-Just celebrated my 1 year anniversary at the Bay City Tribune earlier in the month

A year flys by when your having fun

maestro
06-22-2010, 10:08 AM
congrats blackcat. glad that you've bounced back.

VWG
06-22-2010, 10:13 PM
OK, first don't take this as a slap or anything like that. All of the papers around the state are losing money. Even the DMN and FTW Star Telegram are sharing stories on the Rangers.
Get over it.
It's not going to change anytime soon.

Meanwhile.... we can all enjoy our 7 on 7 flag football updates. :stirpot:

By the way... is 7 on 7 watered down or what?

XMan
06-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Im thinking next year im going to throw together a select 7 on 7 team. Pick some of the best guys from schools around the area that DONT play football and put a whooping on the pecan heads.

Matthew328
06-23-2010, 11:55 AM
I do agree in the smaller schools its watered down....there's some BAD teams qualifying for state simply due to process of elimination....I think it shoulda stayed at 32