PDA

View Full Version : Cruise questions(s)

Ranger Mom
06-18-2010, 12:01 PM
I am thinking of surprising my husband with a 7 day cruise for his 50th birthday....which is December 27th.

Since I sure don't want to go anywhere near the ocean during hurricane season, is the weather nice year round?

I want to leave from Galveston and go to Jamaica, Cayman Islands and Cozumel.

I would like to go sometime in January...is that a good time? I want it to be warm, whenever it is.

I am sure I will have more questions later.

Farmersfan
06-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I am thinking of surprising my husband with a 7 day cruise for his 50th birthday....which is December 27th.

Since I sure don't want to go anywhere near the ocean during hurricane season, is the weather nice year round?

I would like to go sometime in January...is that a good time? I want it to be warm, whenever it is.

I am sure I will have more questions later.

I have taken the 7 day Halloween cruise on Carnival out of Galveston that goes to Jamaica, Grand Caymen and Cozumel 3 times. The weather is really nice on Oct 31st. The water is warm and the temps are always over 85.............

LE Dad
06-18-2010, 12:11 PM

I am sure I will have more questions later. It is always warm that far down. Hurricanes won't be a factor and kids will be in school. So its a perfect time.:D I am not a big fan of Jamaica, but could be better now (there in the 90s) Nassau, Bahamas is a blast and Paradise island with Atlantis is just across the bay. The Virgin Islands are also great lots of secluded beach area.:)

P.S. Never been to Caymens but everything I have heard is positive about them.

Farmersfan
06-18-2010, 12:41 PM
From what I understand Jamaica might off the Port of Call list. They are having a lot of civil unrest right now and could be too dangerous for cruise ships.

44INAROW
06-18-2010, 01:25 PM
That's the cruise PeeWee took me on for my 50th. We went late October and the weather was PURFECT. I would think January would be a good time to go. :) re: Cayman Islands - When we went - they had just rebuilt the "seaside" shops (storm damage) and it was super clean and very nice. Most of the shops had AC and the clerks were eager to help.

Ranger Mom
06-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
That's the cruise PeeWee took me on for my 50th. We went late October and the weather was PURFECT. I would think January would be a good time to go. :) re: Cayman Islands - When we went - they had just rebuilt the "seaside" shops (storm damage) and it was super clean and very nice. Most of the shops had AC and the clerks were eager to help.

We have never done anything like this. I wouldn't mind going in October, but since I want to surprise him with the trip, I feel I need to at least wait for his birthday..:D.

I want to go snorkeling and swim with the dolphins.....if I can do that than I am happy and we can do whatever else he wants to do.

My brother and sister-in-law will probably come with us.

Another question...hubby said he didn't care if we stayed on an inside room....but I am semi-claustrophobic....I know the rooms with balconies are more expensive, but are they worth it?

Farmersfan
06-18-2010, 02:08 PM
We have never done anything like this. I wouldn't mind going in October, but since I want to surprise him with the trip, I feel I need to at least wait for his birthday..:D.

I want to go snorkeling and swim with the dolphins.....if I can do that than I am happy and we can do whatever else he wants to do.

Another question...hubby said he didn't care if we stayed on an inside room....but I am semi-claustrophobic....I know the rooms with balconies are more expensive, but are they worth it?

The balconies are about 3' X 6'. Although they aren't very big it is really nice to be able to step out on the balcony during the night or first thing in the morning to watch the sun come up. If either one of you is a smoker then the balcony is a MUST. If you are claustrophic then you might want a balcony because, although they are comforatble, the rooms are really small.
Check you PM.......

LE Dad
06-18-2010, 03:14 PM

Another question...hubby said he didn't care if we stayed on an inside room....but I am semi-claustrophobic....I know the rooms with balconies are more expensive, but are they worth it? We really were never in our rooms, there was way too much to see and do for that. Not sure about the dolphins at that time of year, but snorkeling is great year around. There are plenty of on ship activities to keep you busy. The one thing I did not like was on cruise we were on you had to dress up for dinner including a formal night... yuck!

Farmersfan
06-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
We really were never in our rooms, there was way too much to see and do for that. Not sure about the dolphins at that time of year, but snorkeling is great year around. There are plenty of on ship activities to keep you busy. The one thing I did not like was on cruise we were on you had to dress up for dinner including a formal night... yuck!

You have the formal dining availble to you each night and the captain's dinner at the end of the cruise. but these are optional. You can choose to eat at one of the many buffets available around the ship.

Ranger Mom
06-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
You have the formal dining availble to you each night and the captain's dinner at the end of the cruise. but these are optional. You can choose to eat at one of the many buffets available around the ship.

There is no way in "Hades" my husband is going to "dress for dinner".....he would rather go without eating.

I actually see us eating the buffet for every meal!!

We are simple people!!:p

LE Dad
06-18-2010, 04:30 PM
There is no way in "Hades" my husband is going to "dress for dinner".....he would rather go without eating.

I actually see us eating the buffet for every meal!!

We are simple people!!:p Thats exactly what we did, but I heard that most crusies aren't like that. Lucky me to get stuck on one that is. I don't mind dressing up, but not when I am on vacation.

Ranger Mom
06-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Thats exactly what we did, but I heard that most crusies aren't like that. Lucky me to get stuck on one that is. I don't mind dressing up, but not when I am on vacation.

No joke!! I don't wanna have to pack a dress and suit to go on vacation!! If it's required, I am going to come down with a wicked case of sea sickness that night!!

95mustang
06-19-2010, 10:58 AM
No joke!! I don't wanna have to pack a dress and suit to go on vacation!! If it's required, I am going to come down with a wicked case of sea sickness that night!!

We just wore casual dress at dinner (one night even wearing shorts). On the night of the captains dinner I wore slacks and a long sleeve shirt. My wife wore a skirt.

95mustang
06-19-2010, 10:59 AM
We really were never in our rooms, there was way too much to see and do for that. Not sure about the dolphins at that time of year, but snorkeling is great year around. There are plenty of on ship activities to keep you busy. The one thing I did not like was on cruise we were on you had to dress up for dinner including a formal night... yuck!

I can agree with this statement. There is alot to do on the ship. If you are board it is your own fault. We had an outside room with a window. It was fine. I didn't want to pay the extra $$$ for the balcony.

95mustang
06-19-2010, 11:02 AM

The snorkeling is great year round. I passed on the oppurtunity to swim with the dolphins, and went scuba diving instead. WOW was it amazing. Infact, scuba diving in Cozumel is what got me hooked on diving. If your not a diver a beginners dive is around $100.00 and you attend a short class then dive about 30' for 45 minutes to an hour. Well worth the money in my opinion.

AP Panther Fan
06-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
I can agree with this statement. There is alot to do on the ship. If you are board it is your own fault. We had an outside room with a window. It was fine. I didn't want to pay the extra $$$ for the balcony.

One of my employees just took this cruise for her honeymoon. She liked the larger, balcony room and didn't mind spending the extra $$$. It looked nice in the photos. Each day their towels were folded into some funny looking critters on the bed. Probably that way in all cabins, but the space was larger than I had imagined.

Her least favorite destination was Jamaica. I think it might have been a bit too impoverished for her liking.

She and her husband did the "dress-up" dinner and had some wonderful photos taken.

Ranger Mom
06-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
One of my employees just took this cruise for her honeymoon. She liked the larger, balcony room and didn't mind spending the extra $$$. It looked nice in the photos. Each day their towels were folded into some funny looking critters on the bed. Probably that way in all cabins, but the space was larger than I had imagined.

Her least favorite destination was Jamaica. I think it might have been a bit too impoverished for her liking.

She and her husband did the "dress-up" dinner and had some wonderful photos taken.

I'll definitely pay the extra money for a balcony. We don't travel much so we go all out when we do.

Plus.....this is a birthday surprise, so I want everything to be great!!

44INAROW
06-19-2010, 07:00 PM
we had an outside room with the balcony (husband smokes) and it was nice to sit outside early in the morning and late at night. :)

Antec
06-19-2010, 07:25 PM
WE are going on a cruise on July 11 on Carnival Conquest from Galveston to Bahamss

Wife wanted to try a balcony so we are trying it

This will be our 6th cruise but first on Carnvial

Been crusiing on Royal Carribean before went to Mexican Riveria last summer on Mariner of the Seas

Saving money since we don't have air f light this time around

We' re ready

LE Dad
06-20-2010, 02:15 PM
From what I understand Jamaica might off the Port of Call list. They are having a lot of civil unrest right now and could be too dangerous for cruise ships. I went to Jamica 3 times on Uncle Sams Cruise Line and it was the least enjoyable place that I've ported. Everyone was "hey mon over here I gotz deal for ya" trying to sell you various legal, illegal and just plain junk. We had several people return to the ship scamed or robbed. Just not a place that I would want to visit again unless they clean up the riff- raft.

Farmersfan
06-21-2010, 07:22 AM
I went to Jamica 3 times on Uncle Sams Cruise Line and it was the least enjoyable place that I've ported. Everyone was "hey mon over here I gotz deal for ya" trying to sell you various legal, illegal and just plain junk. We had several people return to the ship scamed or robbed. Just not a place that I would want to visit again unless they clean up the riff- raft.

I was not impressed with Jamaica either. They have a lot of activities to do but the country is very poor and the people are almost entirely dependant on tourism. If you get away from the ports and go into the interior a little ways you can find some very good deals. But you are correct, a person needs to be very careful because they will scam you quickly. Did you eat at any of the jerk chicken or jerk pork shacks along the roadside? Man, we had some good food!!!!

Farmersfan
06-21-2010, 07:36 AM
I'll definitely pay the extra money for a balcony. We don't travel much so we go all out when we do.

Plus.....this is a birthday surprise, so I want everything to be great!!

You said your husband would not dress up for dinner but if you can get him to it is well worth taking some dress clothes if for no other reason than the multitude of photographers on the ship. You can get protrait quality photos taken and the cost is not near what you would pay for a formal sitting. I recommend getting pictures made as many times as possible because you don't have to buy them unless you want to and the more you take the more likely you will find some you like. But be careful the first couple of days because you can spend a lot of money on photos if you don't wait until later in the cruise to decide which ones to purchase.

Ranger Mom
06-21-2010, 08:49 AM
You said your husband would not dress up for dinner but if you can get him to it is well worth taking some dress clothes if for no other reason than the multitude of photographers on the ship. You can get protrait quality photos taken and the cost is not near what you would pay for a formal sitting. I recommend getting pictures made as many times as possible because you don't have to buy them unless you want to and the more you take the more likely you will find some you like. But be careful the first couple of days because you can spend a lot of money on photos if you don't wait until later in the cruise to decide which ones to purchase.

Like I said, we are simple people. I like candid pictures anyway, in the 14 years we have been married we have had our picture taken "professionally" just once.....with all 5 kids and that was utter chaos!!

Dressing up to go to dinner is just not "Ranger Mom"....(.or RMB69;)) Anyone that has met me and my husband could probably tell you that.:D

Fun digital photo pics are good enough for me!! Although, if we do go snorkeling or scuba diving, I might have to purchase a couple of those pics!

Farmersfan
06-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Like I said, we are simple people. I like candid pictures anyway, in the 14 years we have been married we have had our picture taken "professionally" just once.....with all 5 kids and that was utter chaos!!

Dressing up to go to dinner is just not "Ranger Mom"....(.or RMB69;)) Anyone that has met me and my husband could probably tell you that.:D

Fun digital photo pics are good enough for me!! Although, if we do go snorkeling or scuba diving, I might have to purchase a couple of those pics!

I understand. I didn't want to take dress clothes either the first time I went but was glad I did when the time came. After the first cruise I didn't take sports coats or suit coat at all. Just slacks and long sleeve shirts and tie. (which I usually take off halfway through dinner). They don't care as long people don't come to dinner wearing a bathing suit and sandals. I saw some people in shorts which would be ok if you don't mind getting the STANK EYE from everyone around you!!!! :D :D

ccmom
06-21-2010, 11:43 AM
My advice would be to pay for an excursion in Jamaica. The private beach excursion they offer is nice. I have been on several cruises, and there are some places where you can entertain yourself by shopping, etc. without paying for an excursion. Jamaica is NOT one of those places. You will definitely want to get away from the area where the ship ports and you DON'T want to be wandering around aimlessly in Jamaica. The falls are beautiful, though...you won't want to miss that.

Grand Cayman is a different story. I could wander around there for days and not feel uneasy. The shopping is wonderful and the beaches are amazing.

Emerson1
06-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Cruises are A LOT cheaper during the non peak time periods. The 27th of December when I looked was expensive, but a few weeks before and a week or so after the new year the priced dropped a few hundred dollars.

Ranger Mom
06-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Cruises are A LOT cheaper during the non peak time periods. The 27th of December when I looked was expensive, but a few weeks before and a week or so after the new year the priced dropped a few hundred dollars.

His birthday is December 27th, but I am looking at cruises in mid January. I don't think I could kidnap him and get him to Galveston on his birthday without him knowing something was up...lol!! That will give me two weeks or so to give him time to adjust what I have done.

Now that I have decided to go, I will start saving now so we have extra money to spend.

My main problem now is convincing my husband's and my brother's boss (they work for the same company) to let their wives schedule their vacations without the guys knowing about it. If they won't allow it, then the whole surprise thing will be a non-issue.

Farmersfan
06-21-2010, 01:56 PM
the first year we went on the Conquest for this Halloween cruise we bought the cheapest rooms available. We were down on deck #1. (below waterline----almost). We did have a 6" porthole to peak through. This was during the first hurricane that hit the coast. I think it was Hugo??? The seas were very rough and the ship would roll way up and then just drop with a very, very loud bang. I keep telling my wife that we were in steerage and we were hearing the torpedos being launched. Although the room had twin beds and just the little porthole we still enjoyed ourselves. I think at least 100 people probably broke an arm or leg on that cruise because of being tossed around. We got a little tipsy and went dancing.....................BIG MISTAKE!!!!! The ship was rocking so bad people were barffing all over the ship or carrying around barf bags........:D :D

Now go have fun!!!!

Ranger Mom
06-22-2010, 08:38 AM
I don't think they are required, but should we get passports?

Reds fan
06-22-2010, 08:50 AM
I don't think they are required, but should we get passports?

You should double check that, I am almost positive passports are required.

LE Dad
06-22-2010, 12:51 PM
I was not impressed with Jamaica either. They have a lot of activities to do but the country is very poor and the people are almost entirely dependant on tourism. If you get away from the ports and go into the interior a little ways you can find some very good deals. But you are correct, a person needs to be very careful because they will scam you quickly. Did you eat at any of the jerk chicken or jerk pork shacks along the roadside? Man, we had some good food!!!! Food was great and cheap. Some stuff I was just plain scared to try. Jerk meats were fantastic.

LE Dad
06-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
You should double check that, I am almost positive passports are required. Cruises were exempted for the first few years but passports will be required in the next 1-2 years. I would reccomend getting them, it is alot easier getting around with passport.

Farmersfan
06-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Cruises were exempted for the first few years but passports will be required in the next 1-2 years. I would reccomend getting them, it is alot easier getting around with passport.

The official website says that Passports are recommended but birth certificates are still usable.

http://gocaribbean.about.com/od/beforeyougo/tp/NoPassportCarib.htm

Ranger Mom
06-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
You should double check that, I am almost positive passports are required.

If we leave on a ship from the US and come back to the US, no passport is required, just an original birth certificate and a government issued ID.....just called and checked to make sure my info was correct.

They recommend passports because if the ship leaves you somewhere, or if you have an emergency and need to get back home, you HAVE to have a passport to fly.

Farmersfan
06-22-2010, 02:06 PM
If we leave on a ship from the US and come back to the US, no passport is required, just an original birth certificate and a government issued ID.....just called and checked to make sure my info was correct.

They recommend passports because if the ship leaves you somewhere, or if you have an emergency and need to get back home, you HAVE to have a passport to fly.

Make sure your birth certificate is AN ORIGINAL! It has to have the raised seal and all the stuff that proves it is original. No copies are allowed.
On all 4 previous cruises that we have taken on Carnival we have only had to show our birth certificates when getting checked in at Galveston. Leaving all the other ports we simply had to show our cruise card and our ID. Never had a problem.

LE Dad
06-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Make sure your birth certificate is AN ORIGINAL! It has to have the raised seal and all the stuff that proves it is original. No copies are allowed.
On all 4 previous cruises that we have taken on Carnival we have only had to show our birth certificates when getting checked in at Galveston. Leaving all the other ports we simply had to show our cruise card and our ID. Never had a problem. The biggest headache I ever had was when we ported in Bahamas and then went to Key West before returning back to Miami. I don't know if it was immigration agents fault in Miami or KW, but KW agents were saying that BCs were not good and other papers on foreigners were no good. It took 3 hours for everyone to clear and no one could leave ship until everyone cleared. Made for a short port call.

Farmersfan
06-22-2010, 03:44 PM
The biggest headache I ever had was when we ported in Bahamas and then went to Key West before returning back to Miami. I don't know if it was immigration agents fault in Miami or KW, but KW agents were saying that BCs were not good and other papers on foreigners were no good. It took 3 hours for everyone to clear and no one could leave ship until everyone cleared. Made for a short port call.

The now have a Passport Card that can be used for any of the caribean cruises. It only cost 45 dollars and it's like a ID card.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

Ranger Mom
06-22-2010, 04:09 PM
The now have a Passport Card that can be used for any of the caribean cruises. It only cost 45 dollars and it's like a ID card.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

I thought about going that route. Only thing is....I have to figure out how to do all this without my husband's knowledge. I know where his birth certificate is, but with the passport card, you have to physically go to the passport office. That's for either a passport book OR card from what I understand!!

Txbroadcaster
06-22-2010, 06:52 PM
U actually do need a passport just to enter the US if your NOT on what is called a close looped Cruise..meaning if u depart and comae back to the same port you dont have to get a passport, but if you depart from one port in the US and come back to another port in the US you have to show a passport

Ranger Mom
06-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
U actually do need a passport just to enter the US if your NOT on what is called a close looped Cruise..meaning if u depart and comae back to the same port you dont have to get a passport, but if you depart from one port in the US and come back to another port in the US you have to show a passport

It's Galveston to Galveston, so I'm good!

Farmersfan
06-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

I am getting the Passport Card for myself and my wife just in case things go a little differently this time. I sure would hate to be stranded in Jamaica!!!!

Blackcat1954
07-06-2010, 11:28 AM
We leave out of Galveston Sunday morning for 7 days to the Bahamas -Nassau- Freeport and Keywest

Hope the weather clears out in the Gulf by Sunday after the rain forecast in the middle of the week

Ready to get out of Bay City and Hungerford for a week from some fun and relaxation