PDA

View Full Version : Maybe They Couldn't Take the Vuvuzelas!!!

ronwx5x
06-17-2010, 01:22 PM
S. African killed by wife, kids in TV spatEmail Print Associated Press

JOHANNESBURG -- Police say a South African man who wanted to watch a World Cup match instead of a religious program was beaten to death by his family in the northeastern part of the country.

David Makoeya, a 61-year-old man from the small village of Makweya, Limpopo province, fought with his wife and two children for the remote control on Sunday because he wanted to watch Germany play Australia in the World Cup. The others, however, wanted to watch a gospel show.

"He said, 'No, I want to watch soccer,'" police spokesman Mothemane Malefo said Thursday. "That is when the argument came about.

"In that argument, they started assaulting him."

Malefo said Makoeya got up to change the channel by hand after being refused the remote control and was attacked by his 68-year-old wife Francina and two children, 36-year-old son Collin and 23-year-old daughter Lebogang.

Malefo said he was not sure what the family used to kill Makoeya.

"It appears they banged his head against the wall," Malefo said. "They phoned the police only after he was badly injured, but by the time the police arrived the man was already dead."

All three were arrested Sunday night, but Lebogang was released on $200 bail Tuesday, Malefo said. The other two are still being held in custody.

Malefo said the mother and son will reappear in the local Seshego Magistrates Court on July 27.

"He was always a happy man, never violent," Makoeya's nieces, Miriam and Anna, told the Daily Sun newspaper. "On Saturday, we saw him the last time at a funeral."

The World Cup, being played in Africa for the first time, started Friday and runs through July 11.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5297052/ce/us/south-african-man-killed-wife-kids-changing-tv-germany-australia-game&cc=5901?ver=us

AP Panther Fan
06-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Wow, the irony of killing someone because they did not want to watch a religious show.:doh:

LE Dad
06-17-2010, 01:37 PM
I guess even God doesn't like soccer?:confused:

Those people had some pent up anger to be able to beat a grown man to death.:eek:

Ex-Tiger2005
06-17-2010, 01:47 PM
i read this story this morning and honestly did not kow what to think...it was so hard to believe!!! :confused:

Farmersfan
06-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Do you think there might have been some OTHER issues at work here?

JJWalker
06-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Do you think there might have been some OTHER issues at work here?
Nope ... just some soccer haters.

Looking4number8
06-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x

Lebogang was released on $200 bail Tuesday,

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2010, 02:40 PM
For all the young men out there who are recently married or will be soon, this is the reason that I watch shows like American Idol. You have to keep the wife and kids happy at least some of the time, or they can turn on you.

LE Dad
06-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Speaking of vuvuzealas my son was telling me about watch soccer yesterday and about "all the fans getting together and making a buzzing noise like a bunch of bees".:doh:

I explained the deal to him and he said " I wondered how the heck the made that noise the whole game. It was really annoying.".:p

ronwx5x
06-18-2010, 05:52 PM
While watching USA vs Englnad my bride happened to walk by and said "What's wrong with that TV?" I told and she said I should turn it off.

AP Panther Fan
06-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Speaking of vuvuzealas my son was telling me about watch soccer yesterday and about "all the fans getting together and making a buzzing noise like a bunch of bees".:doh:

I actually turned on the World Cup, watched part of a game and thought the same thing. If you watch long enough, your ears tune out the noise (or at least mine did for as long as I could endure watching soccer).

I think I would rather sit next to someone with one of these horns than someone with a cowbell though....sorry LHPM.:kiss:

Txbroadcaster
06-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

I think I would rather sit next to someone with one of these horns than someone with a cowbell though....sorry LHPM.:kiss:

If u heard it in person you might change ur mind

squid
06-21-2010, 05:37 AM
http://i.imgur.com/vrQPx.gif

garciap77
06-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by JJWalker
Nope ... just some soccer haters.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Phil C
06-21-2010, 10:58 AM
The family should have let him watch what he wanted. Gospel shows are no doubt shown very often there but the World Cu p Soccer is only once every few years. Plus the history of it being in South Africa for the first time and probably will be years before it returns should have given them the compassion to let the man watch the game. NO COMPASSION!