PDA

View Full Version : Did you order the iPhone 4?

Cameron Crazy
06-16-2010, 10:23 PM
I would have ordered it had the website not have crashed. Now I'm hearing we are going to have to wait to pick it up until next month on the 14th? Could anyone make sure this is correct.

I am pretty stoked for it, as it's new features are pretty cool.

Just was curious to see if any of you had ordered it?

DDBooger
06-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
I would have ordered it had the website not have crashed. Now I'm hearing we are going to have to wait to pick it up until next month on the 14th? Could anyone make sure this is correct.

I am pretty stoked for it, as it's new features are pretty cool.

Just was curious to see if any of you had ordered it? Ordered it through Apple. They check your upgrade status and mine is shipping July 2, wait a little longer, but it appears I may get it sooner than others.

Cameron Crazy
06-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Ordered it through Apple. They check your upgrade status and mine is shipping July 2, wait a little longer, but it appears I may get it sooner than others. From what I hear, they are postponing the shipment due to so many orders.

DDBooger
06-16-2010, 10:33 PM
From what I hear, they are postponing the shipment due to so many orders. Haven't got a notice yet. But if I do have to wait, I'm not freaking. It will get here eventually.

IHStangFan
06-16-2010, 10:38 PM
what exactly are the upgrades from the 3GS? Just 4G capability?

DDBooger
06-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
what exactly are the upgrades from the 3GS? Just 4G capability? I still have the old 3g, here is a link to some of the features.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/more-features.html

IHStangFan
06-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
I still have the old 3g, here is a link to some of the features.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/more-features.html It would appear the only diff. between it and my 3GS are 4G capability which is nothing more than (in simple terms) faster data rate capability & tethering. With tethering being the biggie considering that 4G is in it's fledgling stages and coverage is almost non-existent at this time other than in major metro areas and even then it's scarce. Save your money and keep your 3G for now.

Farmersfan
06-17-2010, 08:09 AM
It would appear the only diff. between it and my 3GS are 4G capability which is nothing more than (in simple terms) faster data rate capability & tethering. With tethering being the biggie considering that 4G is in it's fledgling stages and coverage is almost non-existent at this time other than in major metro areas and even then it's scarce. Save your money and keep your 3G for now.

At this point we don't even get the full capacity of 3G yet. The 4G standards are simply a maximum capability but it will be years before anyone will actually get full use of 4G. Does anybody with 3G think they ever acheive even close to the 14mbps with the Iphone?

TMer25
06-17-2010, 08:26 AM
It would appear the only diff. between it and my 3GS are 4G capability which is nothing more than (in simple terms) faster data rate capability & tethering. With tethering being the biggie considering that 4G is in it's fledgling stages and coverage is almost non-existent at this time other than in major metro areas and even then it's scarce. Save your money and keep your 3G for now.

The 3gs should be capable of tethering as well with the software upgrade coming the 21st

poisoned10
06-17-2010, 08:31 AM
From what I hear, they are postponing the shipment due to so many orders.

If you were able to order one on Tuesday before 1:30 pacific time, then you will be getting yours on the 24th. If you ordered it that day but later than that time, you should be getting it July 2nd. I think they are now taking orders for their July 14th shipment already.

There were 600,000 pre-orders for the iPhone 4. I just hope that the local Best Buy gets atleast 1 or 2 of the 32 GB. I think they said I was the 1st to pre-order the 32GB one.

You obviously haven't read much about the iPhone 4. Besides, AT&T doesn't even promote a 4G network, why would they release a new iPhone that has a main selling point of 4G? It's called the "iPhone 4", not the "iPhone 4G".

Here are a few comparison specs:

- Screen Resolution: iPhone 4 (960x640) vs iPhone 3Gs (480x320)

- Camera: iPhone 4 (5MP with Flash) vs iPhone 3Gs (3MP no flash)*iPhone 4 also has a front facing camera and allows video calling

- Video Recording: iPhone 4 (720p HD) vs iPhone 3Gs (VGA)

- Wifi: iPhone 4 (802.11 b/g/n) vs. iPhone 3Gs (802.11 g)

- iPhone 4 also has a larger battery and faster/better processor chip.

And that's just a few of the most basic comparisons.

Is it enough for some people upgrade from their 3Gs or 3G? It was for me. Especially since you can sell your old iPhone on eBay or Craigslist or even Radio Shack and cover the cost of the upgrade.

There are several more things that the iPhone 4 can do that the 3Gs can't or can do them better, but those are some of the main things that people look at.

PPSTATEBOUND
06-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Negative....:)

IHStangFan
06-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
At this point we don't even get the full capacity of 3G yet. The 4G standards are simply a maximum capability but it will be years before anyone will actually get full use of 4G. Does anybody with 3G think they ever acheive even close to the 14mbps with the Iphone? You are 100% correct. 4G technology is just as you've said. I'm a wireless broadband engineer and have been messing w/ this stuff (and similar WiMax stuff) for a few years now. Not only is what you've said true, but 4G is dang near non-existent, nor are there governing standards for it like other freqs, etc. The City of Houston IS using WiMax to broadcast free wifi into certain neighborhoods in and around the city as well as Centerpoint.....they are using it some capacity as well, although I'm not sure what they are doing w/ it.

This whole 4G craze is nothing more than exaggerated hype to sell new phones at a higher price. It will be years before the benefits of having a 4G phone will be fully appreciated. Right now the infrastructure simply isn't in place.

My verdict....total waste of money at this point.

IHStangFan
06-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
If you were able to order one on Tuesday before 1:30 pacific time, then you will be getting yours on the 24th. If you ordered it that day but later than that time, you should be getting it July 2nd. I think they are now taking orders for their July 14th shipment already.

There were 600,000 pre-orders for the iPhone 4. I just hope that the local Best Buy gets atleast 1 or 2 of the 32 GB. I think they said I was the 1st to pre-order the 32GB one.

You obviously haven't read much about the iPhone 4. Besides, AT&T doesn't even promote a 4G network, why would they release a new iPhone that has a main selling point of 4G? It's called the "iPhone 4", not the "iPhone 4G".

Here are a few comparison specs:

- Screen Resolution: iPhone 4 (960x640) vs iPhone 3Gs (480x320)

- Camera: iPhone 4 (5MP with Flash) vs iPhone 3Gs (3MP no flash)*iPhone 4 also has a front facing camera and allows video calling

- Video Recording: iPhone 4 (720p HD) vs iPhone 3Gs (VGA)

- Wifi: iPhone 4 (802.11 b/g/n) vs. iPhone 3Gs (802.11 g)

- iPhone 4 also has a larger battery and faster/better processor chip.

And that's just a few of the most basic comparisons.

Is it enough for some people upgrade from their 3Gs or 3G? It was for me. Especially since you can sell your old iPhone on eBay or Craigslist or even Radio Shack and cover the cost of the upgrade.

There are several more things that the iPhone 4 can do that the 3Gs can't or can do them better, but those are some of the main things that people look at. All of which are insignificant enough that....I won't be wasting the money when I have a perfectly good 3Gs that gets the job done just fine. :)

As far as the 4G...I'm WELL aware of where the technology is as far as that's concerned...it's what I do for a living. :)

wildstangs
06-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Just ordered my phone. Says it will ship by July 14th. Anyone have any experience receiving stuff from Apple? I am hoping it ships well before that day.

PPSTATEBOUND
06-22-2010, 01:23 PM
"This whole 4G craze is nothing more than exaggerated hype to sell new phones at a higher price. It will be years before the benefits of having a 4G phone will be fully appreciated. Right now the infrastructure simply isn't in place.

My verdict....total waste of money at this point"

LOL....:eek:

poisoned10
06-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Just ordered my phone. Says it will ship by July 14th. Anyone have any experience receiving stuff from Apple? I am hoping it ships well before that day.

Don't count on it.

Apple had over 600,000 pre-orders for the iPhone 4, in the 1st day alone. After about 1:30 last Tuesday, they moved the shipment date back because all of their release date stock had been sold.

There have been a few people that reported their original ship date was July 2nd and that they had a tracking number for their device already stating it would arrive on June 23rd. But with yours being July 14, I wouldn't count on it arriving much, if any, earlier than that.

poisoned10
06-22-2010, 01:47 PM
I pre-ordered mine through the Best Buy here in Tyler and was the 1st to pre-order the 32GB. I went up there today with my brother-in-law to find a phone for them and asked them about it.

They told me that I would be getting one on Thursday for sure!

Now Thursday just can't get here soon enough.

poisoned10
06-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Just got a call from Best Buy about 45 minutes ago and set up an appointment to get my iPhone 4 tomorrow morning at 8 am.

Let the waiting game continue . . .

poisoned10
06-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Picked up my iPhone 4 this morning. This thing is amazing. I really haven't had much time to play with it, but so far I'm loving it.

poisoned10
06-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Did anyone else get the iPhone 4? If so, how are you liking it?

I'm loving mine!

BaseballUmp
06-28-2010, 03:52 PM
No

wildstangs
06-29-2010, 07:45 AM
I had ordered one and was told that it would ship July 14th. We had to make a run to Wal Mart last night, and for the hell of it thought I would ask if they had any around. They had 9 and were expecting 10 more that evening. Went ahead and got one there and cancelled my order online. Made me laugh when I thought about all those nerds that camped out for days to get something that I just walked in the store and picked up.

Messed around with it a bit last night. Definitely a great item. Super fast, the video camera, and flash are nice features also.

poisoned10
06-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I had ordered one and was told that it would ship July 14th. We had to make a run to Wal Mart last night, and for the hell of it thought I would ask if they had any around. They had 9 and were expecting 10 more that evening. Went ahead and got one there and cancelled my order online. Made me laugh when I thought about all those nerds that camped out for days to get something that I just walked in the store and picked up.

Messed around with it a bit last night. Definitely a great item. Super fast, the video camera, and flash are nice features also.

I pre-ordered mine through Best Buy and had an appointment at 8 am to pick it up on launch day. I got there and there were about 30 people standing outside in line to get one when the door opened at 9. I walked right past them into the store and was out in about 15 minutes.

I chuckled to myself because I didn't have to stand in line and was able to walk in before store hours to get mine.

mwynn05
06-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Radio Shack is gonna give me 200 for my 3gs so I will get one whenever they get some i guess

Looking4number8
06-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Did anyone else get the iPhone 4? If so, how are you liking it?

I'm loving mine!
AT&T opened at 7 AM here yesterday so my daughter and her brother got up there about 6. only about 10 people in front of us but the first one in line was an 89 year old man. He said he got there a little before 4 AM. 2nd in line said he showed up just after 5.

Anyways we got 3 of them and so far they are everything we read they would be (including the dropped calls if you hold the phone in your left hand and my daughter is left handed)

We especially like the feature of the face time calling. That is going to be neat for my daughter and my grand daughter (her neice) in august when she goes back to college.

mwynn05
06-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
AT&T opened at 7 AM here yesterday so my daughter and her brother got up there about 6. only about 10 people in front of us but the first one in line was an 89 year old man. He said he got there a little before 4 AM. 2nd in line said he showed up just after 5.

Anyways we got 3 of them and so far they are everything we read they would be (including the dropped calls if you hold the phone in your left hand and my daughter is left handed)

We especially like the feature of the face time calling. That is going to be neat for my daughter and my grand daughter (her neice) in august when she goes back to college. i have read that is fixed if you get one of the sleeves from apple

SintonFan
06-30-2010, 05:17 PM

We especially like the feature of the face time calling. That is going to be neat for my daughter and my grand daughter (her neice) in august when she goes back to college.

I checked out the video phone called face time. That feature is amazing. I'm gonna get me one now.:cool:

poisoned10
07-01-2010, 12:06 AM
FaceTime is awesome! Me and my brother use it all of the time. He is in the marines based at Camp Le June and I've only seen him 2 or 3 times in the last 4 or 5 years. So being able to see him and for him to see his niece and nephew while we talk is worth haven the iPhone4 alone.

Looking4number8
07-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
i have read that is fixed if you get one of the sleeves from apple

We finally did get covers for the and that seems to have cured the problem.

Looking4number8
07-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I checked out the video phone called face time. That feature is amazing. I'm gonna get me one now.:cool:

yep, we love the face time feature. I believe it is the one feature that will change in all future phones. Sure am glad my parents and I did not have facetime phones back in the 70's when I was growing up!

SintonFan
07-02-2010, 12:03 PM
yep, we love the face time feature. I believe it is the one feature that will change in all future phones. Sure am glad my parents and I did not have facetime phones back in the 70's when I was growing up!

lol;)

I agree about that feature changing the future of cell phones. Too cool!

mwynn05
07-02-2010, 03:28 PM
facetime is stupid...who talks on the phone any more...plus the biggest drawback is you have to be connected to wi-fi and its only iphone 4 to iphone 4....if you could go iphone to skype it would be way more useful

SintonFan
07-02-2010, 07:09 PM
facetime is stupid...who talks on the phone any more...plus the biggest drawback is you have to be connected to wi-fi and its only iphone 4 to iphone 4....if you could go iphone to skype it would be way more useful

To each his own my fren, to each his own...

mwynn05
07-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
To each his own my fren, to each his own... basically you can only use it at home....and it has to be with a person who has and iphone 4....most people dont

poisoned10
07-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Just because it's limited right now doesn't mean it's not a cool feature. It just means it can only get better.

BullsFan
07-04-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm up for an upgrade in November. I figure the bugs will be worked out by then.

mwynn05
07-10-2010, 12:35 PM
got mine on wednesday or thursday

DU_stud04
07-10-2010, 12:44 PM
facetime is stupid...who talks on the phone any more...plus the biggest drawback is you have to be connected to wi-fi and its only iphone 4 to iphone 4....if you could go iphone to skype it would be way more useful i love facetime, and its been needed for a while, especially form the iphone in wanting to be appreciated as a business phone, phone conferencing? great idea. also, they made a huge reason on the commercial...anyone else see the deaf guy at the end of the commercial? its something thats been needed, a front camera phone for a long time now. i do agree though, it would be nice if it would branch out more than just iphone4 to iphone4, the next google phone is going to trump it though.

and, i love talking on the phone, i hate texting whole conversations....its dumb.

mwynn05
07-10-2010, 07:28 PM
it would be a great feature for some people or small companies if they would integrate it with skype or 3g...but they have their reasons for introducing it only on wifi and only i4 to i4

DU_stud04
07-10-2010, 08:17 PM
it would be a great feature for some people or small companies if they would integrate it with skype or 3g...but they have their reasons for introducing it only on wifi and only i4 to i4 $$$. also why they arent doing unlimited data anymore.

DDBooger
07-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
$$$. also why they arent doing unlimited data anymore. I have unlimited, which I have to give up in order to get tethering. :rolleyes: I'll just wait until they figure out how to jailbreak these.

mwynn05
07-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
$$$. also why they arent doing unlimited data anymore. yep and if you go to your general settings you can see how much you have used and 95% of poeple will see they dont need unlimted data and can save a few bucks a month

Looking4number8
07-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Has anyone else gotten the email and downloaded the "iphone 4 free case program"? It is apples fix to the connection problems. If you have an iphone 4, do this, it is free.

poisoned10
07-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Has anyone else gotten the email and downloaded the "iphone 4 free case program"? It is apples fix to the connection problems. If you have an iphone 4, do this, it is free.

Placed my order on Friday and got an email the same day saying it will be shipped Aug. 27th and will arrive Sept. 1.

I've been using the Griffin Reveal case since I bought it, but went with the Incase Clear Snapcase. I had one with my 3Gs and loved it.

mwynn05
08-09-2010, 03:21 PM
i never got this email

poisoned10
08-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Just download the app and you can chose what case you want.

I got an email today that it is ready to ship.

Old Tiger
08-09-2010, 04:57 PM
How much is the i phone 4 with new contract? How much do you pay a month for all the features?

poisoned10
08-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
How much is the i phone 4 with new contract? How much do you pay a month for all the features?

The 2-year contract price is $199 for the 16GB and $299 for the 32GB.

Data fee is either $15 per month for 200MB or $25 for 2GB.

Emerson1
08-09-2010, 05:55 PM
My 4 was picked up by fedex today woo!

Not to concerned about the connection issues. I don't make many calls and will have wifi at my house so I won't ever reach the 2GB data limit either. On my Vu I can hold the phone with huge force and plug up the antenna and it loses signal too.

What is a good case damage protection? I'll take the free bumper case, but want something a little better I think.

Old Tiger
08-09-2010, 06:06 PM
The 2-year contract price is $199 for the 16GB and $299 for the 32GB.

Data fee is either $15 per month for 200MB or $25 for 2GB. so what is a total bill for you?

poisoned10
08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
so what is a total bill for you?

Well, I have a family share plan with 5 lines, 3 of them have the $30 unlimited data plan for iPhone, which is no longer offered, and another line has the $15 200MB BlackBerry data.

My bill runs about $250 a month.

Old Tiger
08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Well, I have a family share plan with 5 lines, 3 of them have the $30 unlimited data plan for iPhone, which is no longer offered, and another line has the $15 200MB BlackBerry data.

My bill runs about $250 a month. I see the only thing taht sucks about the data package with AT&T is that it doesn't include all your messaging. So you have to pay $15, $25, or $45 plus $20 for your unlimited messaging.

poisoned10
08-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
My 4 was picked up by fedex today woo!

Not to concerned about the connection issues. I don't make many calls and will have wifi at my house so I won't ever reach the 2GB data limit either. On my Vu I can hold the phone with huge force and plug up the antenna and it loses signal too.

What is a good case damage protection? I'll take the free bumper case, but want something a little better I think.

Right now I'm using the Griffin Reveal case. I have the clear Incase Snap Case ordered from Apple. You don't have to get the bumper. They offer 5 or 6 different cases to choose from.

mwynn05
08-09-2010, 09:03 PM
i want my free bumper haha

poisoned10
08-10-2010, 01:26 AM
i want my free bumper haha

What I meant, is you don't have to get the bumper free from Apple. Apple is offering 5 or 6 different cases that they will give you for free. Your not limited to just the bumper that Apple makes.

I was saying that the free case I chose was the Incase Snap Case.

Maybe you understood what I was saying and I'm confused with confusion.

What?

mwynn05
08-10-2010, 08:44 PM
What I meant, is you don't have to get the bumper free from Apple. Apple is offering 5 or 6 different cases that they will give you for free. Your not limited to just the bumper that Apple makes.

I was saying that the free case I chose was the Incase Snap Case.

Maybe you understood what I was saying and I'm confused with confusion.

What? i didnt know that but i still never got the email from att/apple about it

Emerson1
08-12-2010, 03:24 PM
This thing is awesome. The 3GS seems so clunky and crappy compared to this one. It's superior in every way except it's 2 g heavier

mwynn05
08-12-2010, 07:21 PM
any one know the answer to my question?

poisoned10
08-12-2010, 08:13 PM
any one know the answer to my question?

What was the question?

mwynn05
08-12-2010, 10:05 PM
I never got the email about getting the free bumper

poisoned10
08-12-2010, 10:46 PM
I didn't get an email either.

You don't need one to get the bumper or whatever case you chose. All you have to do is download the app "iPhone 4 Case Program" from the app store and follow the steps in the app.

big daddy russ
08-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Got mine today. No antenna problems so far without a case.

Almost went with the Samsung Droid phone that's $199, but the sales associate said she's had more antenna issues with that one than her co-workers have had with the IPhone4.

Going to get a case tomorrow. Actually have fewer dropped calls so far than I did with my Samsung Eternity (averaged 2-3 dropped calls per day with my Eternity). I guess we'll see if this trend holds up.

mwynn05
08-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Got mine today. No antenna problems so far without a case.

Almost went with the Samsung Droid phone that's $199, but the sales associate said she's had more antenna issues with that one than her co-workers have had with the IPhone4.

Going to get a case tomorrow. Actually have fewer dropped calls so far than I did with my Samsung Eternity (averaged 2-3 dropped calls per day with my Eternity). I guess we'll see if this trend holds up. hows it goin russ?

Daddy D 11
08-15-2010, 10:32 PM
had mine for about a week and love it.

thinking about forking out the 50$ and just getting the otter box lol

Emerson1
08-15-2010, 10:52 PM
I forked out $25 for the InvisibleShield and another $25 for an Incipio NGP Matte. It feels good in your hand and it doesn't peel up your screen protector.

I ordered the "free" case, but the estimated shipping date is like September 20th and I didn't want to go 1.5 months without one. Hopefully I can sell it after that 30th deadline.

and no issues for me on antenna. I have wifi almost everywhere I go and have a need to download apps or anything so no problem there.

poisoned10
08-15-2010, 11:23 PM
I placed the order for my free one the Friday the case program app became available and it said my ship date was august 30 and I received it the 13th of this month.

So I doubt it will take that long to get to ya. Besides, if you kept the receipt and box and got it at best buy, you could always take it back when you get the free one.

slpybear the bullfan
08-19-2010, 09:05 PM
I got mine at the end of June and love it. I came from a Samsung blackjack II and it is like night and day. I have gotten to where I don't even like my wife's 3GS... The screen looks very dull I'm comparison.

mwynn05
08-21-2010, 07:54 AM
I think the 4 has been jailbroken now dd

poisoned10
08-21-2010, 09:07 AM
It's been able to be jailbroken since the begining of the month.

The 1st time I did it I bricked my phone. Luckily I was able to revive it and re-jailbroke it.

There is also an unlock now. So those who don't want to be on AT&T can go to T-Mobile or whatever GSM carrier they want.

mwynn05
08-21-2010, 01:27 PM
ya i dont wanna take that chance

Emerson1
08-21-2010, 07:37 PM
I have no need to as I have at&t and have no need for tethering.

big daddy russ
08-21-2010, 11:32 PM
hows it goin russ?
Going great, Mark. How about you?

And the phone's been amazing. Huge upgrade from my Eternity and no problems so far.

Emerson1
08-22-2010, 11:09 AM
SoundHound = cool app

It's one of those that will ID a song for you, but also you can use it as your music player and it will scroll the lyrics of songs on you have already.

You can also hum the tune and it will get it.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5128/mailgooglecom3552216.png

poisoned10
08-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
SoundHound = cool app

It's one of those that will ID a song for you, but also you can use it as your music player and it will scroll the lyrics of songs on you have already.

You can also hum the tune and it will get it.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5128/mailgooglecom3552216.png

Yeah, I have that app. I don't really use it a lot but it's really nice.